Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Desperation kind of got to me at the time. I was 17 and not an atheist yet, so a book whose entire thesis is based around "God is a real cruel sonofabitch" struck me fairly well. Still adore it more for atmosphere than plot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMf1fKznOAw

Don’t sleep on this deal

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Re 11/22/63 ending:

i liked the part where he finds out it all went to poo poo when they saved jfk. i did not like the fact that the time travel guy comes in and says "well even if it worked out, any change would have destroyed the earth anyways."

Felt like a thumb on a scale that did not need to be there.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
might wanna change the thread title :v:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'd be down for a thread title change.

Stephen King thread: It's longer than you think

Stephen King: Literature? No. Shitweasels? Yes!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Re 11/22/63 ending:

i liked the part where he finds out it all went to poo poo when they saved jfk. i did not like the fact that the time travel guy comes in and says "well even if it worked out, any change would have destroyed the earth anyways."

Felt like a thumb on a scale that did not need to be there.

eh, you kind of need that part if for no other reason than to have an actual reason the protagonist doesn’t immediately do what he almost did and rewrite stuff anyway immediate on coming back and resetting the bad timeline. It’s one thing to change one of the biggest events in history and have it blow up in your face, but it’s harder to bullshit yourself into thinking just changing that one thing is bad and it’ll be good if you just redo everything but that part without negative ramifications when a time keeper comes up you and says “my guy, how have you not figured out you and your pal have made dozens of parallel universes and that loving with time to any extent is a bad idea?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Desperation kind of got to me at the time. I was 17 and not an atheist yet, so a book whose entire thesis is based around "God is a real cruel sonofabitch" struck me fairly well. Still adore it more for atmosphere than plot now.
I was a little younger and had been one for years, so I remember it deeply frustrating me that the book's conclusion endorsed worship of a god that deliberately planned for horrible, horrible poo poo to happen to people (but was willing to intervene to help people!... by making a box of goldfish crackers temporarily bottomless. You're on your own from there) because uh hey He Is Love or whatever. I didn't mind the book having god in it; I didn't mind the book portraying god as a cruel rear end in a top hat; I minded the book having god in it, portraying god as a cruel rear end in a top hat,, and then closing with 'ah well, whatcha gonna do, he's got a soft side.'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess it depends on if this uses Neil Gaiman rules or not, but "the judeo-christian god is real, omnipotent, and kind of a prick sometimes" is pretty much in line with judeo-christian texts and if He's omnipotent and definitely real you're kinda stuck worshiping Him or dealing with His worse side.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I don’t remember any of that from reading desperation lol. It was…14 years ago?

That’s the one with an alien in a mine pit controlling a police sheriff or something? And there’s a scene of some people locked up in a jail cell. A deaf boy like in the stand?

Finished Firestarter. I liked it, but it and DeD Zone feel a tier below Carrie, S LOT And Shining, but those are way too good, so it’s not too surprising.

A shame both firestarter adaptations apparently suck hard.

The native character in Firestarter reminded me of another King character, but I’m not sure which one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mr. Nemo posted:

I don’t remember any of that from reading desperation lol. It was…14 years ago?

That’s the one with an alien in a mine pit controlling a police sheriff or something? And there’s a scene of some people locked up in a jail cell. A deaf boy like in the stand?

Nobody is deaf in Desperation. His super power is believing in God and being skinny enough to slip through jail cell bars.

And Collie Entragian (especially as portrayed by Ron Perlman) is one of King's most memorable villains. Even if he is just a vessel for Tak.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

eh, you kind of need that part if for no other reason than to have an actual reason the protagonist doesn’t immediately do what he almost did and rewrite stuff anyway immediate on coming back and resetting the bad timeline. It’s one thing to change one of the biggest events in history and have it blow up in your face, but it’s harder to bullshit yourself into thinking just changing that one thing is bad and it’ll be good if you just redo everything but that part without negative ramifications when a time keeper comes up you and says “my guy, how have you not figured out you and your pal have made dozens of parallel universes and that loving with time to any extent is a bad idea?

I find an ending of a 5 year older man having to decide whether to try again, every time, potentially alienating her by already knowing her, a far more poignant ending than "eh, it was all for nothing anyways, because even if it worked out you'd have to reset it to prevent the end of the world"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YXZUx99ic

This one seemed to heavily pop up in my childhood.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the general opinion on Under The Dome? I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it. Then I read it again in 2012 or so and didn't enjoy it as much. The villains are cartoonishly evil with no greater scope. IIRC they even wear badges later in the book identifying them as bad guys. Plus that ending was pretty poor and comes out of nowhere despite the 400+ pages of build.

I hold some nostalgia for it so I'm interested in reading it a third time to see if my opinion has changed.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's the general opinion on Under The Dome? I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it. Then I read it again in 2012 or so and didn't enjoy it as much. The villains are cartoonishly evil with no greater scope. IIRC they even wear badges later in the book identifying them as bad guys. Plus that ending was pretty poor and comes out of nowhere despite the 400+ pages of build.

I hold some nostalgia for it so I'm interested in reading it a third time to see if my opinion has changed.

It was King's not subtle at all response to Bush and Cheney's brand of bad leadership. I dont like it when writers feel like they have to proselytize even if i agree with them. (Crichton was bad at this too in his later years.) That said, i did like the book and think its top 10 King.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

However bad the "aw gently caress, how am I gonna explain this" ending was, it's still 100x better than the poo poo the TV show got up to

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I forget, was the ending it was a bunch of alien kids with godlike powers playing with humans like ants in an ant cage thing (idk what they’re called) and the humans finally asked the aliens to not play with them like the ants they were in the cosmic scale of things?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
There's also a psychic dog as well, although it's been so long since I've read it I can't remember what the dog does.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gambrinus posted:

There's also a psychic dog as well, although it's been so long since I've read it I can't remember what the dog does.

I thought that was a Koontz thing.

Glad I never finished it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gambrinus posted:

The dog was the best character.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

However bad the "aw gently caress, how am I gonna explain this" ending was, it's still 100x better than the poo poo the TV show got up to

This by a mile

I liked UtD a lot and for some reason didn't mind the ending; or at least not as much as a lot of his others.

I was expecting the domers to find like a cave or a sewer tunnel that led to satan's lair or some poo poo.

And that TV show was god awful, along with The Stand remake

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry if this is unnecessary planning when I should just read some dang books but, I've been starting to delve into King's work and I'm wondering how people recommend approaching the Dark Tower series. Basically I've read Carrie, Salem's Lot, and over a long period have just about finished up the audiobook of the Stand, am about to start reading the Shining, and after that I'm gonna start skipping around, but I still intend to go mostly chronologically. I plan to decide on something like 15 to 20 of his more universally loved books, but I'm wondering if it would be better to leave the Dark Tower stuff for the end of that journey rather than trying to mix it into a chronological approach to his releases.

I don't know a ton about the series but obviously I'm aware it kind of builds a unifying multiverse for his entire body of work, and I'm wondering if that would be best left as a final thing to tackle after I've had my fill of his normal books? Or would it be just fine and dandy to, say, read The Gunslinger and then hop back and forth to Pet Sematary, It, then Dark Tower part 2, etc.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 14, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Martman posted:

Sorry if this is unnecessary planning when I should just read some dang books but, I've been starting to delve into King's work and I'm wondering how people recommend approaching the Dark Tower series. Basically I've read Carrie, Salem's Lot, and over a long period have just about finished up the audiobook of the Stand, am about to start reading the Shining, and after that I'm gonna start skipping around, but I still intend to go mostly chronologically. I plan to decide on something like 15 to 20 of his more universally loved books, but I'm wondering if it would be better to leave the Dark Tower stuff for the end of that journey rather than trying to mix it into a chronological approach to his releases.

I don't know a ton about the series but obviously I'm aware it kind of builds a unifying multiverse for his entire body of work, and I'm wondering if that would be best left as a final thing to tackle after I've had my fill of his normal books? Or would it be just fine and dandy to, say, read The Gunslinger and then hop back and forth to Pet Sematary, It, then Dark Tower part 2, etc.

keep reading in release order and put them on the list with his regular books. they never foreshadow anything

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I know I'm in the minority about this, but the first Dark Tower book that I read was Drawing of the Three, because the first couple times I had attempted to read The Gunslinger I gave up, because (in my opinion) it's a pretty mediocre book.

Not anywhere even close to the three books that follow it in the series in terms of quality, which I think can be manageable and even a little charming if you're already a fan of the series and the characters. But it's not so great if you're a first-time reader unsure what to expect from the Dark Tower series who might make the mistake of thinking that first book is at all representative of the rest of the series in quality, tone, writing style, pacing, etc...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess that might actually be a good reason to split up the series, could be a bit of a slog to do them all as one block if it's a rough start. Thanks.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I fell in love with The Gunslinger from the first page, and it's not especially long, so I don't know if I'd call it a rough start. Its tone and writing style are different from the later books, though. Especially if you're reading the original edit. But the original edit does have more charm I think.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Martman posted:

I guess that might actually be a good reason to split up the series, could be a bit of a slog to do them all as one block if it's a rough start. Thanks.

theres a lot of slumps. song of susannah is one of the longest books and the whole thing is a slump

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I think I had only read Carrie, The Shining, Pet Sematary, and Cell when I started the Dark Tower series. I enjoyed it quite a bit but I think it would be very cool to read them chronologically mixed in with King's other books.

Agreed that Gunslinger is difficult to get through but once I started Drawing of the Three, I didn't put the series down until I was finished. Wind Through the Keyhole came out a couple years after I finished VII.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I fell in love with The Gunslinger from the first page.

Same here. It might be my favorite in the series. It's got more of a grim western feel that the others lack. Which is right up my alley.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

scary ghost dog posted:

theres a lot of slumps. song of susannah is one of the longest books and the whole thing is a slump
Song of Susannah is actually one of the shortest books.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

escape artist posted:

Song of Susannah is actually one of the shortest books.

it really doesnt feel that way

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought I read it all the way through with just one book detour, but I broke up my read quiet a bit. Reading order went

Gunslinger
Drawing of the Three
The Long Walk
Wastelands
Cujo
Wizard & Glass
The Stand
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 14, 2022

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Same here. It might be my favorite in the series. It's got more of a grim western feel that the others lack. Which is right up my alley.

I feel the same. Gunslinger is a great read, and very short. Loved that shootout scene in that town.

The worst Dark Tower books are unfortunately the last 3 when the characters suddenly start speaking like total morons.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I tried the Gunslinger on several occasions and even got quite a bit in at some point but never finished it. I decided the Dark Tower series just isn't for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wizard & Glass is one of King’s best books, but it is as far as I made it in the series. The next book I just couldn’t finish at the time. I might retry again, but I think I’m ok if don’t ever finish the series.

I will also say if you have no plans to read the whole series read Wizard & Glass as a stand-alone at least.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

nate fisher posted:

I will also say if you have no plans to read the whole series read Wizard & Glass as a stand-alone at least.

I endorse this. I loving love Wizard and Glass, and it's almost entirely a flashback so it works well as its own story.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The Gunslinger was the first King book I read, and I started the series right before the 7th book came out so I burned through all of them back to back. I haven't read a ton of his books since then and would describe myself as a fan but not a huge one. I enjoyed all the DT books and have reread most of them. I thought the ending, and the after-ending, were both fine, though the final push was exactly that. But the first book really struck me when i read it and stands out to me today as one of my favorites. Other than Moby Dick it's the only book whose opening line has stuck with me.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/stephen-king-mr-harrigans-phone-netflix-donald-sutherland-jaeden-martell-1235024060/

Hollywood Reporter posted:

Veteran actor Donald Sutherland and Jaeden Martell, who appeared in the It movies, will star in Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, an adaptation of a Stephen King short story being produced by Jason Blum’s Blumhouse and Ryan Murphy. The announcement was made as part of the second annual BlumFest, which celebrates the many spooky projects from scaremaster Blum.

John Lee Hancock wrote and is directing the horror thriller for Netflix. Production begins this month.

Phone hails from King’s anthology collection If It Bleeds, released in 2020. It tells of a young boy who befriends an older, reclusive billionaire, Mr. Harrigan. When the man passes away, the boy discovers that not everything dead is gone and finds himself able to communicate with his friend from the grave through the iPhone that was buried with him.

Sutherland is playing Harrigan while Martell plays the boy.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Speaking of spooky phones, I just watched The Black Phone last night, which is an adaptation of a short story by Joe Hill. All in all, it was a decent thriller and I'd recommend it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Read the books in order, unless you find The Gunslinger too difficult, in which case do what I did and go straight to Drawing of the Three and go back to Gunslinger whenever you feel like you might understand it better. It's odd that it took me Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass to serve as a primer to get into The Gunslinger but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of spooky phones, I just watched The Black Phone last night, which is an adaptation of a short story by Joe Hill. All in all, it was a decent thriller and I'd recommend it.
I dug it too, tho after the fact hearing that Scott Derrickson was working thru childhood trauma with it made me feel bad. I mean, you do know you made a silly shlock movie where Ethan Hawke plays a child stealing magician named "THE GRABBER", right?