Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ok, so, the one scene from the movie everyone remembers is the one where the protagonist murders a diplomat for trying to do foreign policy peacefully instead of through manly combat and it's shown as super cool and badass and everyone quoted it for decades

BUT

there was also a scene with a coded symbolic message that he was kidding

you might not remember it because it wasn't central to the plot at all, but it's in the final cut!!!! sorry that should about settle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zokari posted:

i feel like every thread that even tangentially relates to movies is 25% arguments with snyder stans

People keep fuckin’ bringing him up unbidden and acting surprised when people respond! if you don’t want snyderchat then don’t talk about snyder!

Casey Finnigan posted:

they search for every instance of the word "snyder" on the forums

everyone you’re complaining about is a thread regular dog

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the news story was some crazy poo poo about movie execs claiming a bot army forced them to spend $70 million on a successful film, it was the compulsion to post anti-snyder that got us talking about 300

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Yes! This is my point! Fascists loved the movie, fascists loved the Spartans, and fascists were emboldened by the movie, so regardless of Snyder's intentions in making the film, it is for all intents and purposes a fascist movie.

All of the fascist poo poo in the movie is shown as uncritically good, and all the antifascist poo poo is shown as irredeemably bad, and it was the 2000s so there was a huge market for that. Ask an actual conservative what they think the message of 300 is.

Fascists find their symbols everywhere though. American history x had a strong anti-nazi theme and nazis loving loved that movie

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

^^^proof that world of warcraft is a satire

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

(time to watch the moviebob video again)

nobody do this ever please you are a worthy human being and need not sink so low tyvm

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

People keep fuckin’ bringing him up unbidden and acting surprised when people respond! if you don’t want snyderchat then don’t talk about snyder!

everyone you’re complaining about is a thread regular dog

The problem is that some folks want a safe space to talk poo poo about snyder and then throw a tantrum when they get some pushback

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

McCloud posted:

The problem is that some folks want a safe space to talk poo poo about snyder and then throw a tantrum when they get some pushback

you guys literally have your own safe space thread. it's called "the snyderdome." come on.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

McCloud posted:

lmfao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zokari posted:

^^^proof that world of warcraft is a satire

If you take WoW lore seriously then you are lost, and I say this as a wow lore expert

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

Fascists find their symbols everywhere though. American history x had a strong anti-nazi theme and nazis loving loved that movie

You can argue that it was a failure on the part of the director that his movie came off as an overwhelming endorsement of a real fascist political faction in the time period it was made rather than a purposeful decision, and that may or may not be true, but it's immaterial because nobody can tell that part unless you find an article about it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

you guys literally have your own safe space thread. it's called the snyderdome. come on.

The dome is not a safe space, it's a containment space, there's a difference.

We actually like to invite people in to talk about his films there, come join us!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McCloud posted:

:ironicat:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

man I didn't even remember 300 was a Snyder joint until someone else brought it up, I am just trying to talk about a specific movie. I don't care that it was made by your husbando

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

oh you thought this was a safe space, huh? you thought you could get away with criticizing a director like we wouldnt notice???

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

"300 was a satire on fascism because theres a scene where some spartans stab a literal strawman"

lmao come on

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i tried to give them an out by painting Frank Miller as the actual bad guy behind 300 but the Snyder defense instinct is too strong

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

McCloud posted:

The dome is not a safe space, it's a containment space, there's a difference.

We actually like to invite people in to talk about his films there, come join us!

you guys need to be doing a much better job at containment, then.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
im finishing watching intolerable cruelty and its possibly the worst movie i've ever seen with clooney, zeta-jones, or the coens bros directing. all in one steaming pile of crap

nice bruce campbell cameo though

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

You can argue that it was a failure on the part of the director that his movie came off as an overwhelming endorsement of a real fascist political faction in the time period it was made rather than a purposeful decision, and that may or may not be true, but it's immaterial because nobody can tell that part unless you find an article about it.

I mean, you're not entirely wrong, the issue with 300 is that on a surface level the politics look bad , and in hindsight more could probably have been done to separate it from the Molon Labe crowd

loquacius posted:

man I didn't even remember 300 was a Snyder joint until someone else brought it up, I am just trying to talk about a specific movie. I don't care that it was made by your husbando

I wasn't talking about you, I think you made some good posts on this topic and appreciate your contribution

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

loquacius posted:

Yes! This is my point! Fascists loved the movie, fascists loved the Spartans, and fascists were emboldened by the movie, so regardless of Snyder's intentions in making the film, it is for all intents and purposes a fascist movie.

All of the fascist poo poo in the movie is shown as uncritically good, and all the antifascist poo poo is shown as irredeemably bad, and it was the 2000s so there was a huge market for that. Ask an actual conservative what they think the message of 300 is.

fascism is a bankrupt ideology with few coherent characteristics. I don't think you can safeguard any art from fascists because they get you coming and going: any narrative or feeling can be read as fascist because fascism is mainly based in stories and emotions; in turn you can't exclude anything as definitely not-fascist because fascism doesn't have anything you can definitively say "without this, this isn't fascism". compare communism and materialist approaches to art

compare also 300's precursor, Starship Troopers. we all (now) agree it's satire, but there's no line or shot, no magic bullet that conclusively proves it's not a fascist film, that we shouldn't take it at face value. we decide to read it satirically - but I still remember people arguing in this century whether it was actually satire or not. equally, the fascists will continue to read it as a fascist film, as they will anything else they can make fit

ultimately this is true of anything, it's just how many contortions you're willing to tolerate to construct the metaphor. but it's the audience that constructs the metaphor, applies the meaning. the audience decides that kicking a dude into a pit is more cool than it is horrible. the film doesn't tell us it's cool - but it does show us that yeah, a lot of people are willing to go along with horrific ultraviolence if it's presented in the right way

a reflection of Bush-era USA? no, the Americans were always like this

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Counterpoint: dudebros love American psycho and fight club, so even films with extreme clarity of purpose get taken at face value

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Parody requires a knowledgeable audience with a sense of history. If you don't have that, the underlying meaning falls flat.

Edit: There was a point every single Rick and Morty fan was saying, Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub.
And I was like Oh okay that's their new catchphrase than.
My friend got a little miffed and said, "no it's an anti-catchphrse."

I only watched the first season of Rick and Morty, and had no context for the anti catchphrase that worked exactly like a catchphrase.
edit edit: It's a loving catchphrase.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jul 19, 2022

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

a puritanical pop understanding of aesthetics, depicted as a wall of text printed on a muscle vest worn by some 300-loving Snyderbro in order to underscore how vacuous a perspective it is? excellent satire, 9/10

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Actually I think you'll find that the police found all the bombs and put Tyler in a mental hospital at the end of Fight Club so really everything turned out fine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
When I watch the dark knight, every time the joker speaks I say something like "that's right" or "you know it" or "he's actually the good guy"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drat horror queefs posted:

Actually I think you'll find that the police found all the bombs and put Tyler in a mental hospital at the end of Fight Club so really everything turned out fine

I like that the author admitted the movie's ending is better than the book's ending, one of the very few cases where that's true.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Counterpoint: dudebros love American psycho and fight club, so even films with extreme clarity of purpose get taken at face value

See also: The Boys

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

That title card is so loving funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I like that the author admitted the movie's ending is better than the book's ending, one of the very few cases where that's true.

The ending of Zack Snyder's Watchmen is better than the comics I will not be taking questions notifications turned off

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The ending of Zack Snyder's Watchmen is better than the comics I will not be taking questions notifications turned off

:agreed: using Dr. Manhattan energy for the attack instead of a psychic squid monster was a very smart adaptation change

the psychic squid monster works better in the comic where the medium helps amplify the effect of shock when you open up the two page spread of the chaos of the attack, it would have looked silly as hell in a movie

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I read Fight Club and I don't even remember the book's ending

PostNouveau posted:

absolutely, the book's ending was completely bonkers and the movie one made sense

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I read that short story by the fight club guy about the dude who sticks his rear end onto a suction thing in his pool. it was published in playboy for some reason

i do remember the ending to that one

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Watchmen came out too early, a preemptive satire of the MCU and surrounding culture

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Edit: There was a point every single Rick and Morty fan was saying, Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub.
And I was like Oh okay that's their new catchphrase than.
My friend got a little miffed and said, "no it's an anti-catchphrse."

I only watched the first season of Rick and Morty, and had no context for the anti catchphrase that worked exactly like a catchphrase.
edit edit: It's a loving catchphrase.

i'd argue the opposite: rick and morty is a smart, funny show that's deliberately playing with the type of show that it is, no matter how much its idiot fans try to fix it down into some dull sci-fi wikithon with catchphrases and memes. it is an anti-catchphrase, no matter how many people receive it as a catchphrase.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That was pretty dang funny

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm gonna throw out a book recommendation for The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway but I will not elaborate on why this came to mind because it'd be a spoiler

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

McCloud posted:

american history x is a weird as hell movie in that its basically doing a reverse calm hitler routine where were supposed to understand that the nazis are the bad guys not because of their evil beliefs but because as a nazi edward norton is angry all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

josh04 posted:

i'd argue the opposite: rick and morty is a smart, funny show that's deliberately playing with the type of show that it is, no matter how much its idiot fans try to fix it down into some dull sci-fi wikithon with catchphrases and memes. it is an anti-catchphrase, no matter how many people receive it as a catchphrase.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.