Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Shifty Nipples posted:

If someone, anyone would mention the humidity along with these temperatures I would have a better understanding of the unpleasantness of this weather event. 40C/104F with low humidity is like dang it sure is hot but with high humidity it's like dang I'm gonna die yo.

its 18C higher than the average for this time of year and is breaking all time records. people are dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Why are all UK buildings constructed of materials which somehow combust at 40c?

Seems like they should’ve built in a buffer of some kind.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lmaoing really hard at the various "why didn't england prepare for this?" posts

it's climate change motherfuckers, this is what it is, you can't prepare for it quickly!

places are just going to be hotter than they are supposed to be and turns out it breaks all sorts of things!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

England, known for it's low humidity and lack of moisture.

But seriously, if you don't experience anything like this heat normally and have no real mitigations for it you're gonna have a hard time.
It’s not unheard of for moist places to be drier than normal when it gets really hot, so I think it’s a fair question.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I get that Britain isn't built for this kinda temp and they are far less likely to have stuff like AC, but drat it's crazy to see them scramble and panic about temps that would be merely "lovely August Weather" here, in a state that also turns into a frigid hellhole 1/3rd of the year.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shifty Nipples posted:

If someone, anyone would mention the humidity along with these temperatures I would have a better understanding of the unpleasantness of this weather event. 40C/104F with low humidity is like dang it sure is hot but with high humidity it's like dang I'm gonna die yo.

not terrible

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NeonPunk posted:

C'mon, that's ridiculous. How the hell is the UK already on fire after just 2 days of record heat?

Do they seriously not have any building code for fire resistant materials over there?

All of our cladding is designed to cause maximum death if anywhere near a fire, it is a whole thing on its own

Also yeah it's pretty dry, this is why people are dying. It hasn't been feeling outrageously hot, but if you've ever had heat fatigue you can feel how little your muscles are capable of. If you haven't, a refreshing swim seems like a great idea.

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jul 19, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

it's really clear that a lot of people have no idea what it's like to live in a temperate climate or even what that means.

The UK is a humid temperate oceanic climate, and Ireland is even more of a temperate oceanic climate as the Azores high doesn't often extend up into Ireland the way it will in the southern UK.

Also, things are catching fire because you don't spend money building infrastructure that can withstand extremes in temperature that other climates face when you don't have a climate that has high or low extreme temperatures. Unfortunately, due to climate change, temperate climates are getting hosed and only going to get worse.

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/1548268979386343424

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/1548268982515339268

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/1548268985812062208

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/1548268989809250304

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/1548268996738199552

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Deki posted:

I get that Britain isn't built for this kinda temp and they are far less likely to have stuff like AC, but drat it's crazy to see them scramble and panic about temps that would be merely "lovely August Weather" here, in a state that also turns into a frigid hellhole 1/3rd of the year.
It doesn't get hot or cold there. They don't have feet of snow or murder thunderstorms or hurricanes or earthquakes or anything. It's a place that's entirely designed to turn you into the biggest spoiled baby a person can be.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

well my condolences, in advance, for when the time comes, that it is both hot and humid in the uk.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Spangly A posted:

All of our cladding is designed to cause maximum death if anywhere near a fire, it is a whole thing on its own

Yeah, as I posted that, I forgot about that apartment tower y'all had that went up in a blaze. Grenfell or something like that

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1549436795871428609

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

Yeah, as I posted that, I forgot about that apartment tower y'all had that went up in a blaze. Grenfell or something like that

Less than a dozen buildings don't use the same cladding. None of it is being replaced, because the charges have been put on the tenants

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are movie theaters in Britain air conditioned? If so, that's a classic trick, go see a movie in the afternoon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Spangly A posted:

Also yeah it's pretty dry, this is why people are dying. It hasn't been feeling outrageously hot, but if you've ever had heat fatigue you can feel how little your muscles are capable of. If you haven't, a refreshing swim seems like a great idea.

Are British people seriously getting heat exhaustion and then swimming out into open water and drowning?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Gripweed posted:

Are British people seriously getting heat exhaustion and then swimming out into open water and drowning?

As of yesterday there were 10 water deaths and today there's been another 3 that I heard of, so yes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Enfys posted:

As of yesterday there were 10 water deaths and today there's been another 3 that I heard of, so yes

jesus christ. The British government needs to find any old person from the southern US and get them on TV to explain this basic stuff to you guys.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Glad the modeling crisis is over, congrats London.

Here's another one to watch. (Btw the latest forecast for Fargo from this model on July 31 is no longer 117F but 70F lol.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gripweed posted:

When peoples bodies go into server distress, brain tends to shut down a lot and people can do weird stuff.

Like on the other end of the spectrum you get paradoxical undressing https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28444440/.

As the doors said, people are strange.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

jesus christ. The British government needs to find any old person from the southern US and get them on TV to explain this basic stuff to you guys.
Shouldn't they already have Lord Viscount Thomas Mumblymouth IV, Earl of Cumberbund who spent his youth in The Raj on the BBC payroll? Let him talk about the tricks he learned when he was a child in India.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Iron and steel will bend and bow,
Bend and bow, bend and bow,
Iron and steel will bend and bow,
My fair Lady.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

yea it's really not fair to make fun of the UK for being unprepared for weather we've never experienced before in history

otoh if you wait just a couple of months, you'll find out we're also hilariously unprepared for weather we get every single year

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I have a mate from az who's been in Leeds for a year as part of her degree, and she's just been having a breakdown in group chat at how everyone around her has a death wish

Added bonus: the sea waters around the Midlands are about 14c this time of year and the rivers are colder. You don't actually need heat exhaustion, just jumping in has a pretty high risk of cold shock and lol good luck swimming while unexpectedly paralyzed

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jul 19, 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

can't wait for hurricane season

"Why didn't New York City prepare for this amount of water?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Spangly A posted:

I have a mate from az who's been in Leeds for a year as part of her degree, and she's just been having a breakdown in group chat at how everyone around her has a death wish

Genuine question, are people buying kiddie pools and watermelons? Do they even understand that concept?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gripweed posted:

Genuine question, are people buying kiddie pools and watermelons? Do they even understand that concept?

Alright, I will try this.

*two hours later*

I have now filled the kiddie pool with watermelons, it's still real hot :confused:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Spangly A posted:

The British have a long history of trying to not be bothered by the heat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPnJM3zWfUo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Spangly A posted:

Did they just now realize they're british

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Gripweed posted:

What is the concept?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

WampaLord posted:

can't wait for hurricane season

"Why didn't New York City prepare for this amount of water?"

Is the joke that they're never prepared for flooding?

Also watermelons are an essential part of summer is what ive learned from my anime beach episodes

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, I absolutely get why the lack of it being an area that's used to dealing with these extremes is a problem and leading to deaths among the elderly or otherwise infirm people. But able bodied adults shouldn't be dropping like flies going for a swim in temps that 90% of humanity are regularly exposed to.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is the joke that they're never prepared for flooding?

Yes, exactly. Sandy, a category 1 hurricane, absolutely wrecked the city a few years back

Imagine if a Category 4 or 5 works its way up towards NYC. Thousands of people will die from flooding, possibly tens of thousands or more.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spangly A posted:

Added bonus: the sea waters around the Midlands are about 14c this time of year and the rivers are colder. You don't actually need heat exhaustion, just jumping in has a pretty high risk of cold shock and lol good luck swimming while unexpectedly paralyzed

I did not open this thread to make fun of British people being giant babies but you really are making me just want to make fun of British people being giant babies.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I did not open this thread to make fun of British people being giant babies but you really are making me just want to make fun of British people being giant babies.

Nobody gets cold shock in normal weather, swimming in freezing water and pretending it's good is a national pastime

If you would like to dive in water 25c colder than the air to prove a point make sure someone films it so we can lol at you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Yes, exactly. Sandy, a category 1 hurricane, absolutely wrecked the city a few years back

Imagine if a Category 4 or 5 works its way up towards NYC. Thousands of people will die from flooding, possibly tens of thousands or more.

hell it fuckin Just Rained A Bunch last year and people were dying

… hell yesterday it just rained a bunch and nyc got hosed up

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Keep a stiff upper lip whenever you are in the blistering heat of west chelmington mate, unless the water is 14 degrees!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spangly A posted:

Nobody gets cold shock in normal weather, swimming in freezing water and pretending it's good is a national pastime

If you would like to dive in water 25c colder than the air to prove a point make sure someone films it so we can lol at you

I mean I have gone in from 40-45C air temperature to around 20C water temperature before, like many, many a time.

It's always been very nice. Everyone else at the beach always seemed to be very much enjoying it as well.

I can see if people were elderly or had an underlining condition that could be cause issues, but for a normal healthy person pretty sure it shouldn't?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
youre supposed to jump out of the sauna through the hole you cut in the ice for maximum differential

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Spangly A posted:

haha what

this is every single July-August in any Great Lake, any snowmelt river in Texas, anywhere in the pnw or southern Canada…

I’m loling, except at YOU ya baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spangly A posted:

Jumping from a sauna that’s hotter than 40 Celsius in to water that is 0 degrees Celsius is a thing in multiple cultures. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube of people doing exactly that. That’s what I was making fun of.