Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site posted:

please finish your doom 2 wad first John

:yeah:

Has he provided any updates on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Unreal engine 5, you say?

Spicy.

With the latest news about Unity, I think it's the better choice!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A true gamer would use Godot.

TheScott2K posted:

John Romero is about to make you his employee.

lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

John Romero is about to make you his employee.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
edit out the company logos and tweet that at him

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

site posted:

edit out the company logos and tweet that at him

Eh I say leave em in. Maybe remove the edios one, but doubt John or anyone else would care about the TM of Ion Storm one and it add's to the joke.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
change "suck it down" to "make these your primary action items"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

should ask dreadxp for the dusk engine instead

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has he provided any updates on that?
Not since he kicked out a level from it as a Red Cross fundraiser back in March.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

change "suck it down" to "make these your primary action items"

"Hope you're doing well" would be my pick.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Hope you're doing well" would be my pick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can’t leave without signoff from my buddy Superfly!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Not since he kicked out a level from it as a Red Cross fundraiser back in March.

What colour were the health packs

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Unreal engine 5, you say?

Spicy.

I would be more surprised if he specified UE4

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/Nexxtic/status/1549537674712809473
Why would you "fix" this it seemed to be working as intended :confused:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
preorder cancelled

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think cultic had a similar issue but it crashed the game. I'm just glad you can still decapitate cultists and then flush their heads down a toilet. Or break one toilet to take the seat, then throw the seat towards an enemy, but kick the toilet seat while it's in midair, causing it to fly at supersonic speeds into the enemy and liquefying them, then pickup their severed hand and flush that down another toilet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A good dev would’ve turned that into a speed running skip

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
use it to access the minus world

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Gloomwood lets you flush things and have them show up in the sewers but I don't know if you can get to the sewers that way yourself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://mobile.twitter.com/dandouglas/status/1549873870613749761

absolutely love to see it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
that's build engine baby

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1550052416711757824

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2061230/Chasm_The_Rift/
!!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite Quake engine game!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I still remember the immense disappointment I felt when it dawned on me that all of Chasm’s levels were basically flat.

EDIT: Don’t get me wrong, though—I still loved the game. But it was a rude realization.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I still remember the immense disappointment I felt when it dawned on me that all of Chasm’s levels were basically flat.

EDIT: Don’t get me wrong, though—I still loved the game. But it was a rude realization.

Yeah it was a weird combination of Wolf 3D type labyrinths, with honestly very impressive (for the time) character models and animations. Similar to Rise of the Triad in terms of having a few really impressive tech features bolted onto an otherwise dated framework.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

lol ouch, imagine taking the engine built to show off that one killer improvement, then not using it.

I was gonna make a joke about having nothing but totally square rooms in a post-wolf3d world, but then I took I closer look the screenshots...

edit: Oh, that's ouch in a different direction then.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

lol ouch, imagine taking the engine built to show off that one killer improvement, then not using it.

I was gonna make a joke about having nothing but totally square rooms in a post-wolf3d world, but then I took I closer look the screenshots...

To be fair, Chasm isn't a Quake Engine game it's something Action Forms made themselves which while allowing for 3D graphics was only 2.5D.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Serephina posted:

It can do diagonals and they have model scenery that you can walk on, so they try their damndest to hide the blockiness. Stuff like making a vent you can walk in (a hallway with a very cramped model), liberally abusing models to make it appear that the floor height is changing, etc. There’s also a literal chasm in one level that I’m not sure how they did - either it’s a one-time rendering hack, or the entire level is really tall and 99% of it is stuffed full of models to raise the floor height.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird that Doom levels are theoretically real places but they put the absolute bare minimum effort into it. It's basically just abstract with a very thin veneer of realism...there's no chairs, no beds, nothing related to any recreation, and work only if your job happens to be 'demon' or 'toxic waste technician'
I'm aware I'm replying to a 5-day-old post, but there's an excellent article on Doomworld that makes this exact point:

quote:

Petersen’s maps deal in abstraction. “The Factory” (map 12) and “Downtown” (map 13) are in roughly the shape of a factory complex or a downtown area with city blocks and tall buildings, but once you look past that outer shell, nothing makes sense. The interiors of buildings appear twisted beyond recognition, reconfigured with a character that may or may not be explicable in terms of gameplay logic but is absolutely never explicable from a real-world perspective. Compare the cities in Doom 2 to the ones in a game like Duke Nukem 3D, where the whole point is to replicate a realistic environment. Petersen was having none of that. What’s the point of a demonic apocalypse if things still make sense, if real-world logic still exists as a safety net to fall back on? And so you have maps like “Tricks and Traps” (map 08), where every room in an ostensibly human-made techbase is entirely designed around conveying some sort of strange combat puzzle or unusual style of ambush, and “The Pit” (map 09), which is constructed around odd movement puzzles that no military-industrial megacorp would have put there for its employees to traverse during their daily tasks. The whole concept behind these maps ties into a line from one of the intermission texts: “But something is wrong. The demons have brought their own reality with them.”

And perhaps the most interesting and unique thing about Doom 2 as a concept is that this disturbance in the fabric of reality goes both ways, and nowhere is it more apparent than in the Hell maps. The first Doom’s vision of Hell was awesome, but pretty traditional: rocky wastelands full of fire and brimstone, with the added twist of the organic elements, entire landscapes made out of flesh and guts. Doom 2’s Hell looks a whole lot like a twisted version of Earth, which is the entire point. Even as Earth’s reality bends to take on the eerie, hostile tone of Hell, Hell’s reality has begun to twist around earthly shapes and materials. “Barrels o’ Fun” (map 23) sees a hellish landscape wrought in abstract stucco and metal constructs and filled with barrels of human toxic waste; “Monster Condo” (map 27) is a haunted mansion filled with libraries and walled in the same brick and wood that make up the city maps. Clearly this wasn’t just Petersen; Romero and McGee both made Hell maps, and they both treated them the same way. The whole team was on board. It’s even present in the bestiary, as though the bosses from the first game were prototypes for the creation of new species of cybernetic monsters that blend human tech with demonic flesh, perhaps in demonic factories or perhaps by some supernatural shift, simply because Hell’s biological reality has gotten…confused. Personally, I think all evidence points to the latter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Huh... the screenshots are all in hi-res with proper unstretched widescreen, and the Steam page mentions achievements. That's unexpected. The HUD in the screenshots makes it look like the unfinished and buggy PanzerChasm source port. Wonder if they're using that as a base or making a new port from scratch?

Developer is listed as General Arcade, they mostly port Steam games like Project Zomboid and Gone Home to GOG and other stores, but they also did Duke 3D Megaton Edition (aka the pre-Randy Steam release with all the Wizardworks expansions) so they're a Known Entity round these parts.

Publisher is the mysterious SNEG, who still don't have an online presence outside of a Steam publisher page. Googling around and finding a press interview tells me that it appears to be some former GOG/CD Projekt staff continuing on GOG's old self-publishing stuff. Last year they re-inflicted the Witchaven games back upon the world of the living, among other more respectable games like the D&D Gold Box series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

and the Steam page mentions achievements.

(comes Kramering into the thread)

DID SOMEBODY say CHEEVOS?

I'm a sucker for achievements

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1550276500628324352

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzoZ2AfWwg

extremely rad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is Severed Steel a perfect game? No, oh gosh no

Am I currently having a shitload of fun? Yes

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It’s neat. I bought it at launch for 25 bux and there was only like 2 hours of content for that money so it wasn’t a great deal but it was fun. Also I heard he added more?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AIUI there's more, but even with that it's still extremely short. What's there is loads of fun, though, and it has some replayability in score-attack mode with various mutators and starting loadouts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

they should let you randomize enemies from all those games in one. let me shoot cultists in Duke

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

site posted:

they should let you randomize enemies from all those games in one. let me shoot cultists in Duke

Crossgame enemies & weapons would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New Civvie. :yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcak4em9CAg

But it's about Postal again. :geno: