Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna say that’s clearly roid monster Hulk from the 80s and not the weirdly slimmed down 93 version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why doesn't Tony Khan do a bunch of coke and challenge Vince McMahon to a fight like Eric Bischoff?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s where Impact Tony would inevitably have gone and the world is a darker place without it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bret had one of those rare completely natural slow burns where he went from the less memorable Hart Foundation guy to people going "Wow this guy's a sick wrestler in a period where no one except maybe Randy Savage and Mr. Perfect are sick wrestlers"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Imagine secretly training with Ernest "The Cat" Miller for your showdown with Billionaire Vince, only to learn he's stepping down due to one of his least disgusting sex crimes.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Alaois posted:

one of my favorite crusty old bitch things is when people complain that forearms and chops and whatever don't look "legit" and then talk about how wrestlers in the 80s throwing giant theatrical wind up punches while stomping their feet on the mat to make noise was the greatest thing they've ever seen

Bret thought chops were a lovely move for pro wrestling because the whole point of working is to do stuff that looks like it hurts but doesn't so just chopping a guy hard is the opposite of what you should be doing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why doesn't Tony Khan do a bunch of coke and challenge Vince McMahon to a fight like Eric Bischoff?

Because he'd lose and he knows it.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
TK is a hugger, not a fighter.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah one appealing part of Tony Khan is that he obviously is not in wrestling because he believes he, personally, is a tough guy, and loves surrounding himself with other tough guys like he, a tough guy, should be surrounded by, to be part of the Big Tough Boy Gang. It is so sad and pathetic that Vince McMahon in his 80s still clearly is all-in on the Big Tough Manly Guy image (not that it is ever not pathetic)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i love being a tough guy. not going to apologize for it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Bret thought chops were a lovely move for pro wrestling because the whole point of working is to do stuff that looks like it hurts but doesn't so just chopping a guy hard is the opposite of what you should be doing.
nobody’s perfect

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ChrisBTY posted:

Because he'd lose and he knows it.

I mean do you think Eric Bischoff would have won?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No, but Eric absolutely does. Ego is funny that way.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i liked when bischoff had a brick in his dumb karate shoe. pisst me off

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I mean, probably.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

vince was one of the most unathletic people to ever live lol. eric at least trained in fake karate and could move his body without tearing both quads off the bone.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

[vince mcmahon tied up kneeling on the ground]

bischoff: time to cash out. maybe khans kill people without lookin' em in the face. but i ain't a fink, dig? you've made your last delivery, kid. sorry you got twisted up in this scene. from where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18k run of bad luck. truth is... the game was rigged from the start.

*brick kick to the head*

vince's dead baby. vince is dead

Thank you for reading my story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cavauro posted:

i liked when bischoff had a brick in his dumb karate shoe. pisst me off

A really interesting thing about the Monday Night Wars is how both the top officials were 10/10 performers. I preferred Eric but both he and Vince were great characters.

The stars aligned in the Attitude Era in a really miraculous way.

bartok
May 10, 2006

What was up with the British Bulldog popping up in WCW for a brief stint in the early 90's before returning again after the Montreal Screw Job?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are conflicting (or maybe coinciding) reasons for Davey Boy Smith leaving WWF at the end of 1992.

A: After the big Wembley main event against Bret at Summerslam 1992, Davey thought he should be treated/paid at the level of a Hogan or Warrior since he was such a draw/fan favorite/merch mover in the UK/Europe. Vince did not agree.
B: Various people including Bret Hart claim that his name came up in some of the federal investigations into steroids that were just kicking off in 1992.

So he either quit/got fired in 1992, did one ECW show in December 1992, an All Japan tour in spring 1993, then landed in WCW not long after Bischoff got promoted to executive producer/head booker in the first of many many "hire big WWF guys" moves. In late 1993 Vince McMahon was formally indicted on steroid charges, and within a couple of weeks two of WCW's Most Steroidal (Davey Boy and Sid Vicious) were perhaps coincidentally fired, Sid over not FORGETTING HIS SCISSORS and stabbing Arn Anderson at a hotel, Davey Boy either for no-showing too many house shows or because he fractured someone's skull in a bar fight and was facing charges. Also possibly because WCW did not want these brolic men all over their TV while WRESTLING STEROID TRIALS headlines were everywhere.

Smith wrestled in Canada and England on and off for a bit and then in August 1994, a month after Vince McMahon was acquitted in the steroid trial, Davey Boy was back in WWF.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
what's the best age to start training a baby in pro wrestling maneuvers? secondly, what's the best age to start training a baby in the ancient bloodsport kumite?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

what's the best age to start training a baby in pro wrestling maneuvers? secondly, what's the best age to start training a baby in the ancient bloodsport kumite?

Kids are annoying to train BJJ to before theyre 10 or so, so never IMO, itd probably be better to enroll them in gymnastics which can be done fairly early I guess? Like six or so?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have quite a bit of experience teaching kids to grapple.

Usually under 8 years old there's no point teaching anything than tumbling / agility-balance-coordination stuff to a general class. Especially under 6 is a gigantic waste of time and energy. With certain exceptions, a "good" kid in these ranges will learn breakfalls and be able to recall techniques when they're demonstrated to them as a prompt. The only significant benefits will usually be achieved in gamifying fundamental movements. Sending most kids this age to a judo/wrestling/bjj class will be close to identical to sending them to a gymnastics class.

8-9 year olds can pick up/recall macro techniques but they're not really capable of making technical adjustments or refinements. For example, you can tell a kid this age "grab side control" and they'll know what you're talking about, but they won't usually remember "use your shoulder to make them look away from you and it will be harder for them to escape." If you get reps in with a kid this age and then prompt them, they can often perform well, but they need those prompts. E.g. I can explain to a 9 year old "be squirmy and keep moving with bridges and shrimps when you're being held down and get your legs in between" and get them to practice it a bit and they'll get it, but they won't do it until I yell "Rowan! Remember to be squirmy!" and then they'll start doing it, usually quite well.

Somewhere from age 10-12 you can start teaching real techniques to kids, and from there they'll be pretty similar to adults as far as the mental stuff goes, with the usual adjustments for attention span and developing strength.

12-16, depending on the athlete development, you can start getting benefits from supplemental strength and conditioning, and it's not even really worth doing elite-pathway sport-specific specialty training under 18. General fitness is more important and competitive performance in the mid teens is not a good indicator of long-term competitive success.

Instructor ratio also tends to double every age category. One instructor can handle 20-24 adults, 10-12 teens, 6-8 8-9 year olds, and at most 3-4 <8 year olds.

The exception to all of this is how much individual attention and reinforcement you're willing to give. You can push a kid up one category here, but it takes an order of magnitude increase in instruction and attention. I've seen a 5 year old become technically proficient at morote seoi nage and sode tsurikomi goshi - throws that can be difficult for intermediate adults to learn - but she had a parent and four older siblings in judo, so she essentially had a 5:1 instructor ratio.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Quick return to Punch-Chat (tm): How does the closed fist ban relate to moves like the Superman Punch or the far superior Orange Punch? How are those allowed by the kayfabe rules of wrestling?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in wrestling sometimes things are really cool and you have just ignore logic for a second and enjoy them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think i've seen a bunch of matches where somebody gets warned like 8 times to stop using a closed fist so it's ok as long as you don't do it that much. sometimes it's fine to do 1,000 times in a row as well.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I feel like I haven't heard a commentator say anything about closed-fist punches in ages. And I have never in my lifetime heard a commentator say anything about kicks with one foot on the ground, which was the original old timey excuse for dropkicks and why guys weren't just blasting muay thai style body kicks into each other's ribs.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Big Bossman used to do close fist punches and the commentary team would question why the referee wasn't telling him off.

Related question I've asked ITT before: how does Kota Ibushi make his punches look so real without actually punching the other guy? His punches on Okada in their WK match were brutal looking but Okada had no bruises and seemingly wasn't knocked senseless by them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Had there been vignettes or anything for the Shockmaster before the famous reveal segment with Sting? The incredulous "WHAT" from Schiavone (?) before Sting has even finished saying the name always cracks me up, but I guess it makes more sense if there had been some sort of Shockmaster hype beforehand.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Op specifically asked about a baby so the correct answer is that you need to teach them to bump at the moment of conception because that's the only time you are truly considered to be a human being

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

RE: closed fist punches: I really liked in that Ibushi/Nakamura match at Wrestle Kingdom where they kept teasing straight punches and ended up sort of doing them behind the ref's back. Really sold how much more brutal they are than forearms and I should probably go back and watch that match again.

Also KUSHIDA's baseball pitch punch thing he used to (maybe still does) do is v. cool and I like how much Red Shoes used to get angry at him for doing them.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I have three young boys (in the literal not the new japan sense) and teaching them to tuck their chin and not reach down to break their falls has probably saved me $800 in casts and x-rays

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
but can they take a styles clash?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Minidust posted:

Had there been vignettes or anything for the Shockmaster before the famous reveal segment with Sting?
I'm pretty sure that was the debut and they hadn't done any TV spots or anything.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Related question I've asked ITT before: how does Kota Ibushi make his punches look so real without actually punching the other guy? His punches on Okada in their WK match were brutal looking but Okada had no bruises and seemingly wasn't knocked senseless by them.

You can throw a pretty bealivable worked punch by having your fist open slightly (imagine you are holding a small tube in your hand) and then throw a normal looking punch without much risk of damage.

although my punches never looked as good as ibushi's do (neither did anything I ever did)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Quick return to Punch-Chat (tm): How does the closed fist ban relate to moves like the Superman Punch or the far superior Orange Punch? How are those allowed by the kayfabe rules of wrestling?

I think I wouldnt actually know this rule except it was used as a one off dusty finish involving flair on a random rear end RAW in the 00's era to screw a face by DQ or something

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I distinctly remember Test being DQed once for the same thing because he was being hosed with by Stephanie at the time and she was ringside to force the ref to make that call

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like there's been at least one match where closed fists were specifically called out in the match name.

I could misremembering or also an idiot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Taped Fist Matches used to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the debut and they hadn't done any TV spots or anything.
lmao nice, i love this kind of dumb old wrestling thing. so it really was just like a 7-year-old's idea of a name so cool it would strike fear and overselling into the hearts of grown men