Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is actually the first I'm hearing about this particular way to be killed by a car

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/tire-flies-off-suv-hits-kills-woman-walking-down-georgia-street-police-say/I5UG3OHYUVEWBJIA3IZQP7UQIE/

quote:

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Police say a Georgia woman was killed when a tire flew off a car and hit her as she walked down the street Sunday.

Savannah police said the incident happened on Staley Ave. Police said a Toyota Highlander was traveling east when one of the front tires popped off of the SUV and hit a woman who was walking on the sidewalk.

The woman, identified as 67-year-old Edith Fields, was taken to the hospital, where she died.

The accident remains under investigation. The driver of the Toyota Highlander has not been identified.

A metro Atlanta woman died in 2015 after a tire flew off of an SUV as she walked to the grocery store on Thanksgiving eve. Geraldine Lane, 54, was taken to the hospital in critical condition and later died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Oh so a woman was tired and now cars are bad???

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Georgia has no safety inspections, because freedom*

(* to die when some guy's hunk of poo poo fires parts at you)

mystes
May 31, 2006

wow that would be a really big deal if it was a part that came off a train or plane

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's the perfect crime because securing your guns in any way makes you a libtard commie homo pussy. :bahgawd:

the hardest part is probably finding and carrying off all eight guns in the pickamatruck without accidentally shooting yourself

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
What gets me is that those are only the ones the cops know about which is probably a small subset of the number actually stolen, and the number of guns stolen is in turn a much smaller subset of the guns kept in cars. also of course I have to assume most people aren’t stupid enough to just leave them in there but still carry one with them while driving

Just thousands and thousands of people a day driving around strapped waiting for any provocation

Apr 7, 2003

heated game moment posted:

I have to assume most people aren’t stupid enough to just leave them in there

My own loving brother has a car gun he leaves in his car and another gun he carries

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
oh that? haha that’s just my car gun.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The car gun is for car related gun needs while the carry gun is for any gun need one might have on the go. If I get caught in a gas station robbery and my only gun is 50 ft away in my truck, I'm gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Why does this thread always turn into PYF favorite car accidents every couple of pages? None of that poo poo is particular interesting or fun to read.

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why does this thread always turn into PYF favorite car accidents every couple of pages? None of that poo poo is particular interesting or fun to read.

"Accident" implies that these events just happen and aren't preventable, a wheel flying off a car and murdering someone is absolutely preventable and reflects negligence.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1549076534152990721

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i thought you loved cars?? why isn't it fun for you to read about your favorite thing?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why are people posting about the bad outcomes of car culture in the "i hate cars" thread???

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

it's cool that the gun owner is the victim here lol great country

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

it's cool that the gun owner is the victim here lol great country

Contrary to popular belief no one is robbing houses for a commodity big screen television. People commit home or vehicle robberies for guns, drugs, or cash, and putting "COME AND TAKE IT" stickers on all your poo poo is a great way to convince someone to come and take it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I had a gun for every gun that's been stolen out of a car in their community this year, I'd have over 500 guns.

You'd also probably be in jail for stealing all those guns. Kinda makes it easy to track down if you have 500 of them

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You'd also probably be in jail for stealing all those guns. Kinda makes it easy to track down if you have 500 of them

in America?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i thought you loved cars?? why isn't it fun for you to read about your favorite thing?

I love cars, I don't like people dying.

Apr 7, 2003

Cars make people die, sounds like a conundrum for you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there was a guy on my local subreddit who said that he always kept a gun stored in his car because there are a lot of crazy people out there and he didn't want to accidentally get into his car having forgotten to bring another gun with him. said he didn't have it secured in any way because what if he needed it while driving. a bunch of people screamed at him and the comment had like -100 karma or something but im sure the mindset is very common. texas rocks.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
At one pointy friend was carrying around an AR-15 with a bunch of magazines in the trunk and also a pistol on his hip and explained that the pistol was only to buy enough time to get the AR out lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Weird how so many drivers feel they face such danger from other drivers. Almost like it makes everyone into a psychopath. Probably nothing

Apr 7, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

At one pointy friend was carrying around an AR-15 with a bunch of magazines in the trunk and also a pistol on his hip and explained that the pistol was only to buy enough time to get the AR out lol

Your friend has a brain that's been turned to applesauce by a lifetime of film and television.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the only thing that can protect your car against a bad car is having a bigger car and a gun

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

None of this thread is particular interesting or fun to read because I am massively car brained
fixed

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't like to watch people die either, that's why I took all the rear-view mirrors off my chevy suburban

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Xaris posted:

the only thing that can protect your car against a bad car is having a bigger car and a gun

every new thing i read abotu tesla autopilot makes me think it should be okay to stand your ground any time you see one

i mean NOT REALLY but you know

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you must buy your gun at least as much jewelry as you buy your car and other poems and observations humorous and otherwise from the life of an american

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What does this even mean?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

IAMKOREA posted:

pretty funny that the most likely scenario is that they off themselves with it or their kid accidentally offs them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"Accident" implies that these events just happen and aren't preventable, a wheel flying off a car and murdering someone is absolutely preventable and reflects negligence.

Do you need documentation for each and every car accident? It seems like this thread gets off to stuff like this. Lol

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
My cousin had his handgun stolen from his truck and it was used in a murder

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Counterpoint: it is very interesting and often quite fun to read

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PittTheElder posted:

Counterpoint: it is very interesting and often quite fun to read

Your brain is broken if you legitimately believe this.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Hirsute posted:

My cousin had his handgun stolen from his truck and it was used in a murder

My gun was stolen and used in a murder sounds like something somebody that did a murder would say

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dog Case posted:

My gun was stolen and used in a murder sounds like something somebody that did a murder would say
If he drives a truck and carries a handgun around he has probably at least murdered a few cyclists if not the victim of the incident in question

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am not looking forward to buying another car seat later this year, for a new child

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I love cars, I don't like people dying.

Got some bad news for you, bud

According to this:

quote:

More than 46,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.
An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.
Road crashes are the leading cause of death in the U.S. for people aged 1–54.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mystes posted:

If he drives a truck and carries a handgun around he has probably at least murdered a few cyclists if not the victim of the incident in question

Counterpoint, extensive real-world evidence has shown that killing a cyclist with a car on purpose isn't murder, or even a crime in the majority of cases.