Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I feel like I could just buy a broken atari and get the same sort of nostalgia hit if I was so inclined. At least the nintendo had the scrolling tv which made it at least do something that a broken nintendo couldn't also do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Cooked Auto posted:

For those who weren't a Nintendo Kid when they were younger Lego now has you covered with a Atari 2600 set coming out later this year.

https://twitter.com/BrothersBrick/status/1549379037256208385

That's cool as hell, I wonder how much.....

BaconCopter posted:

Edit: holy poo poo it's $240 hahahahaha

Oh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IMO: the NES set is good because people still want to play with the NES. And it still is a good looking device.

The 2600? No one wants to play with them any more and it was never a good looking piece of electronics.

It will sell, but it's a questionable decision. I suspect someone at LEGO had a similar argument but was ignored.

A PS1 would probably be the next logical console to recreate. Or another Nintendo. Maybe a Mega Drive/Genesis.

The 2600? I guess if their target is people with poor impulse control.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
No E.T. cartridge, no sale.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I never had a 2600 but I did always love the wood grain. I think it’s a good looking bit of hardware design. Also I really love the little diorama in that set. I’m not gonna get it cause I’m only casually a Lego guy and don’t want to be drowning in knick knacks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

No E.T. cartridge, no sale.

It's going to be burried in a secret slot and when asked LEGO will deny it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Definitely feels like Lego has started padding piece counts, what with alternate builds and little vignettes. Not sure why, seems like they could just make bigger models.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My gut feeling not backed up by any data is that sets are using way more tiny pieces than they used to. People gobble up the highly detailed snot builds so it kind of mandates it.

It might be cheaper for them too, not sure where the break-even point for a pile of 1x2's vs a pile of 1x8's is but if they can use that a part in more sets maybe it makes more sens to go small.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

My gut feeling not backed up by any data is that sets are using way more tiny pieces than they used to. People gobble up the highly detailed snot builds so it kind of mandates it.

It might be cheaper for them too, not sure where the break-even point for a pile of 1x2's vs a pile of 1x8's is but if they can use that a part in more sets maybe it makes more sens to go small.

absolutely, and it's happened over time. at first it drove me nuts but the more I compared my childhood stuff with my kid's I realize how much more solidly the new stuff is built and how much more details there really are

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6877-1 my old mtron 56 piece ship is about twice the size of his 82 piece ywing microfighter
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=75263-1#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The scrolling TV was a lot of what made the NES set interesting, just a plain atari isn't doing much for me. A little surprised they aren't just doing more generations of Nintendo stuff instead, though repeating the scrolling TV thing might be a bit of a lazy effort.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can feel myself hitting the Lego wall. There's just way too much poo poo out that it makes me not want to get any of it, I don't have room for more, it's getting more and more expensive. I want the Lunar Lander and the Space Shuttle so I can have a targeted and tasteful display of space related poo poo along with my ISS, and then I might put away all my more toyish Star Wars sets (apart from Mos Eisley, that owns) and then have any other Lego sets be stealth display pieces like the Bonsai Tree, ship in a bottle and pop up book. But then I could augment those with the nice orchid they have... ffs

I posted something pretty similar a month or two ago. I bought the Delorean and Horizon and enjoyed both a lot, but I'm just so overwhelmed by the pace of cool stuff releasing that it makes me not want any of it.

I guess that's allright. I'm by no means done with Lego but I think I'm gonna be buying a set or two a year from here on out. There's never enough space, they cost so much, Lego is not going to slow down etc. I don't need every set that appeals to me.

Also have been debating taking a lot of sets down just to feel less uh, surrounded but I always wuss out. Honestly really like all the sets I have on display.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The scrolling TV was a lot of what made the NES set interesting, just a plain atari isn't doing much for me. A little surprised they aren't just doing more generations of Nintendo stuff instead, though repeating the scrolling TV thing might be a bit of a lazy effort.

Make one that scrolls vertically and do a Pole Position track, with the player car on a layer over it, moving left and right with the road? Maybe a static screen but some kind of method to move/advance a space invader or galaga overlay?

Galaga could be rad actually.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

My gut feeling not backed up by any data is that sets are using way more tiny pieces than they used to.

I buy used bulk lots and any sets I can't complete I just sort the pieces for. I have so many regular bricks like 2x4 that I never have any use for when completing modern sets or even looking up MOCs to build. At least the 2x2's I use for MILS plates. Meanwhile I have a tray overflowing with those 1x1 cheese wedges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's weird to me about the NES TV is the entire scrolling core is designed to slide out in one big chunk. It makes me feel like they had plans to release scrolls for other games then never did it.

As far as I know there's never been a "lego expansion pack" for an existing set but the NES sure feels like a good candidate for it. You could get baseplates and packs of rails or minifigs, but not really in the same category in my head.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

As cool as that might have been, I doubt I would have bought an alternate to the NES screen since it was the least fun part of the build, and now I need to find somewhere to store the spare/original screen.

Also, probably only so many games that work well with it because of the side scrolling aspect.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Summer 2022 is, so far, the season of disappointing followups to cool series of sets I have enjoyed.

1) 40521: Mini Disney The Haunted Mansion, successor to 40478: Mini Disney Castle. Despite somehow having 113 more pieces, the model is smaller and less impressive. It also has stickers, instead of 40521's exclusively printed pieces, and features much more simplistic geometry and technique compared to the Castle's interesting angles and depth. It also costs more, but I guess I won't bring up relative pricing again because everything costs more now. Even if they were priced the same, this would be a disappointing followup.

2) 10304: Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 1969, successor to (technically all of the Creator Expert scale cars but specifically to) 10265: Ford Mustang and 10295: Porsche 911. Compared to the previous cars, the design is much more simple and it has way more stickers. Part of the simplified design can be attributed to the more basic lines of a boxy American muscle/pony car, but there were still opportunities for detail such as the character line and rear fender gills that were straight-up skipped entirely. The new custom fender pieces mean we don't have interesting brick-built solutions like on the Mustang and 911, and for some reason the steering isn't geared down this time, giving the steering wheel an oddly short range of travel. That whole mechanism is just a step backwards. poo poo, it doesn't even have brick-built A pillars (again, both previous cars had these), so we're back to stickers for that! I do like the improved door hinge mechanism, so uh, there's that.

3) 10306: Atari 2600, successor to 71374: Nintendo Entertainment System. In this case, it just feels like the priorities were all wrong. The mini builds add nothing and, IMO, actually DETRACT from the shelf display appeal of the set. The little scene of a Gamer is such a weird thing to prominently feature - that should maybe have been a little tucked-away easter egg, or replaced entirely with, like, a Pitfall vignette or some poo poo. Something from the actual console, like they did with the NES. I really would have preferred if a lot of this unnecessary junk was left on the cutting room floor and the set was brought down quite a bit in price - there is no way this thing should cost more than the NES, with its intricate TV and mechanisms.

xzzy posted:

As far as I know there's never been a "lego expansion pack" for an existing set but the NES sure feels like a good candidate for it. You could get baseplates and packs of rails or minifigs, but not really in the same category in my head.
There have been, for R/C cars in the Racers theme. I have run out of Internet Posting Time to look this up, but there were part expansion/mod packs meant to be used with just one or two R/C sets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, new Galaxy Explorer in 13 days.

For certain age groups, all sins this summer are forgiven.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I appreciate on the Atari set that the little minifigure playing it in the 80s has a very stereotypical wood-paneled room. Peak 80s there.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
How some people can call the Atari 2600 ugly is beyond me. It's the best looking classical console by far.

Am I so out of touch? :hmmno:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a nice looking console but as with the NES, building it sounds fun but I personally see no display value in putting a fake video game console on my shelf.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I can see it being a display piece in a non lego nerd house, a cool retro object like the typewriter. The mini builds and scene don’t help that though, it’s like they couldn’t decide between retro object and leaning into the gaming nostalgia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Update:

Yesterday I jumped back into that goddamn Ferrari kit again. I am happy to say that I successfully completed Step 1. And I THINK that the transmission works! If it doesn't, I really don't give a poo poo anymore. I will tell people that it has a functioning 8 speed transmission and they can believe me or just gently caress right off. I'm a little concerned that at this point of the build the rear wheels move independently of the cylinders, but I'm hoping at some point in Step 2 they connect. It looks like they might but honestly I'm not taking this apart again if it doesn't.

Anyway congratulate me for being able to follow instructions, a thing that most people can do after the age of 8.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flyinglemur posted:

Update:

Yesterday I jumped back into that goddamn Ferrari kit again. I am happy to say that I successfully completed Step 1. And I THINK that the transmission works! If it doesn't, I really don't give a poo poo anymore. I will tell people that it has a functioning 8 speed transmission and they can believe me or just gently caress right off. I'm a little concerned that at this point of the build the rear wheels move independently of the cylinders, but I'm hoping at some point in Step 2 they connect. It looks like they might but honestly I'm not taking this apart again if it doesn't.

Anyway congratulate me for being able to follow instructions, a thing that most people can do after the age of 8.

I don’t know what they’re talking about with the 8 speed either. The paddle shifter only goes back and forth one click to the left, one click to the right. I guess if you consider two gears in forward and two in reverse you have a “four speed” which still isn’t 8.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's a sequential transmission.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's sequential, it means it changes one gear for each press of the paddle.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

xzzy posted:

It's sequential, it means it changes one gear for each press of the paddle.

Mine doesn’t? You get one press left, one press right. There are bricks in the way of the green 1x2 Technic lever that only allow it to move a total of like 90 degrees.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Mine doesn’t? You get one press left, one press right. There are bricks in the way of the green 1x2 Technic lever that only allow it to move a total of like 90 degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2lS0scwlus&t=2054s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That Atari should come with Combat, just like the original

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
How did they miss the opportunity to include these in that Atari set (sorry for using a tweet, imgur seems to be down)
https://twitter.com/JackLinFLL/status/1290296385141534720

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Huh. I must have messed up somewhere because in mine the green bit in this picture isn’t allowed to make a full circle, it can only either be in the shown position or in the other lower corner.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyway, to the other poster’s question about the rear wheels not engaging the pistons, they only engage when in forward and reverse. If the gear selector is in neutral they won’t engage the engine (as is mechanically correct).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah having the engine in neutral on the motorcycles kicks rear end, if they're in neutral then you can magically roll the wheels and make the chain move without any of the pistons or gears moving

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Boco_T posted:

Yeah having the engine in neutral on the motorcycles kicks rear end, if they're in neutral then you can magically roll the wheels and make the chain move without any of the pistons or gears moving

:aaaaa:

Well that's got me sold right there! I didn't quite realize how intricate the technic vehicle builds are, I'm going to have to track some down.

Well, this is interesting... the BMW biek is 320$ from lego, but only 230$ from target?

Maybe one of them is a typo?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Anyway, to the other poster’s question about the rear wheels not engaging the pistons, they only engage when in forward and reverse. If the gear selector is in neutral they won’t engage the engine (as is mechanically correct).

Well that's loving awesome. Right now the shaft that is attached to the cylinders is not mechanically attached to the rest of the drivetrain at all, but I just started step two so hopefully that will all get taken care of. I understand what you're saying about it being in neutral right now, but right now it doesn't matter what gear I can manually manipulate to, there is no mechanical linkage even available.

Like I said, I'm sure that will be taken care of in steps to follow. I'm actually glad I took it all apart and started over because the transmission was certainly not set up correctly the first time because I had been monkey loving it. It's actually pretty cool when you put it together correctly in the instruction manual isn't actively plotting against you and your success

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Well, this is interesting... the BMW biek is 320$ from lego, but only 230$ from target?

Maybe one of them is a typo?

You're linking to Lego's Australian site there.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I had zero interest in the Ferrari Technic set, but now I kind of want one just because it seems to be the Dark Souls of Lego.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
WHEN are we getting more separatist/CIS legos. i swear to god the only reason they keep making the droid tank is i keep buying them

edit: oh and if i wanted to paint some facial markings on my battle droids, what paint would be the best for that? me and the girlfriend are rewatching the clone wars cartoon and she now loves battle droids as much as me and we want to give some of our droids some individuality

Lady Militant fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 20, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Has anyone messed with Minifigure Factory yet?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/minifigure-factory

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Has anyone messed with Minifigure Factory yet?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/minifigure-factory

I just spent a few minutes in it, and while I can apply a Classic Space logo to a torso, I can't see any way to change the color of the torso, arms, or hands. And they're $12. And limited to one per household. It's still in beta, but it's really limited, so, I'm gonna have to give it a D+ at this point.

If they get to the point where I can stick a Classic Space logo on a variety of torso colors with matching arms, hands, legs, airtanks, and helmet, and let me order more than one, I'll give it an A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Waltzing Along posted:

IMO: the NES set is good because people still want to play with the NES. And it still is a good looking device.

The 2600? No one wants to play with them any more and it was never a good looking piece of electronics.

The 2600? I guess if their target is people with poor impulse control.

So, so wrong. The 2600 is a beautiful piece of equipment, better than a generic grey box. And that's coming from someone who had both growing up and spent way more hours playing a NES. The box itself is garbage. I'd play an atari 2600 now if I had a working one (should have kept mine from childhood, but oh well). Kaboom with the paddles is still super fun and there's no recreating it with a mouse or thumbstick.

Tarquinn posted:

How some people can call the Atari 2600 ugly is beyond me. It's the best looking classical console by far.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I appreciate on the Atari set that the little minifigure playing it in the 80s has a very stereotypical wood-paneled room. Peak 80s there.

:yeah:

Like others mentioned, I was really hopeful they were going to release more game scrolls and carts for the NES. That's the only thing that could have swayed me to buy it. Metroid and Zelda are no-brainer scrollers that could have worked on the tv. However, on the atari I do like the flip up kid's bedroom and the little vignettes they did for the games just as much as the old TV.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 20, 2022