Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wesley I want to help you out, but first how much decluttering have you done? I would do a thorough job of that, and try to get as much stuff as you can put away as there's lots of stuff kind of strewn about.

your cabinet doors seem fine, if anything I would just have them painted. are you looking for a more decorative style of door, like something with an inset?

are you committed to keeping the furniture you have, or are you looking to change it?

painting is the thing you should do last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

actionjackson posted:

Wesley I want to help you out, but first how much decluttering have you done? I would do a thorough job of that, and try to get as much stuff as you can put away as there's lots of stuff kind of strewn about.

your cabinet doors seem fine, if anything I would just have them painted. are you looking for a more decorative style of door, like something with an inset?

are you committed to keeping the furniture you have, or are you looking to change it?

painting is the thing you should do last.

drat! I guess I do have a lot of poo poo around don't I? Thanks for pointing that out (really, I never realized).

Furniture is staying for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what I want to do with the doors. I guess I just want something "better/nicer" but I don't have any ideas as to what that is tbh, as such, they are lowest on the list of things to do.

The poo poo on my counters, won't lie, its almost always there. It could probably go somewhere else but I don't have a lot of company. On the table, is where poo poo accumulates and eventually gets put away, it was just in between puttings away I guess.
Thats my SA poo poo posting station, so I need the room to keep my cases of mountain dew and bags of cheetos.

The wall with the tv, book case and dvd shelves pretty much always has that much poo poo on it.
When I do get the various work done, I know I'll have to cram everything in to one room for the day or two that it takes to do the work and I've been trying to come up with some plans that will be reasonably efficient for doing so. I know what its like to have to deal with poo poo being in my way when 10 minutes of moving stuff would make my job easier so I'm going to do the best I can to make their work easier.

I've been waiting till I know how much I'd have to pay in taxes this year before I start trying to organize getting this stuff done. I just found out the other day, so I can come up with something of a budget now. At my current rate of progress, I should be making my first phone calls to flooring and painting places sometime in late 2026 :v:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do you know what the cabinet doors are made out of?

maple or a similar wood is pretty common, or mdf, if it's cheap it will be thermofoil

as for clutter, I would still go through your home and literally take everything out and examine it, and categorize it as 1) keep 2) throw 3) donate 4) sell (and if you don't sell donate)

it's honestly insanely therapeutic, and you want to do that first because it may dictate how you do things in the future

it also doesn't cost any money to do, unlike all the other stuff

how often do you use all those chairs by your computer? it's very cramped. if you aren't super attached to them, I would consider maybe just keeping one, and then getting a couple folding chairs to put in a closet

one possible option I'm seeing is getting an actual computer desk, which is definitely preferable to a round kitchen table, and if possible, put it in front of the window, the move the tv and everything else a bit farther away.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

actionjackson posted:

do you know what the cabinet doors are made out of?

maple or a similar wood is pretty common, or mdf, if it's cheap it will be thermofoil

as for clutter, I would still go through your home and literally take everything out and examine it, and categorize it as 1) keep 2) throw 3) donate 4) sell (and if you don't sell donate)

it's honestly insanely therapeutic, and you want to do that first because it may dictate how you do things in the future

it also doesn't cost any money to do, unlike all the other stuff

how often do you use all those chairs by your computer? it's very cramped. if you aren't super attached to them, I would consider maybe just keeping one, and then getting a couple folding chairs to put in a closet

one possible option I'm seeing is getting an actual computer desk, which is definitely preferable to a round kitchen table, and if possible, put it in front of the window, the move the tv and everything else a bit farther away.

My guess is that its particle board of some kind.
Over top of them its a plastic woodgrain looking covering.

Your first post did have something of an effect on me and I did a bit of de-cluttering in the kitchen.
There is also a bunch of crap that I need to get rid of. Stuff thats been hiding in a closet for a while. It was nice of her, but I probably don't really need the Maracas that my friend got me in Cuba 15 years ago for example. Theres other stuff too, but its out of sight out of mind and all that.

The chairs do come in handy and I'd like to keep them. Every now and then (every couple months?), another friend and her mom come for dinner, so I stash the computer chair and use "the fancy chairs". But I do have another computer chair that can be donated. I keep them there and the table pushed close to the wall so I have room to get by to go to the couch. I'm not like 500 pounds or something but the room is small and I don't want to have to turn sideways or something just to go by there.

I should probably go to my storage lockers downstairs and get rid of some of that crap first, and then move some of the excess poo poo I have upstairs that I want to keep and put it downstairs. I do have a ton of closet space in my pad, but I guess that also encourages one to fill up said space. My camping gear can probably be put down in my storage units for example. Extra sheets can then go on the shelves in my closet and so on.....

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah extra storage space has the negative side effect of causing you to hold onto more stuff than you need

that's why I never got a storage locker when I moved into my place, though the ones here cost money, maybe yours is free

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

actionjackson posted:

Simplifying this further, separate by keep and don't keep first, then go through steps 2-4 for the don't keep stuff. Having everything out allows you to group things, see how many duplicate things you have. I had a TON of stupid kitchen stuff from my ex - single use stupid appliances, duplicate spatulas, etc etc none of which i needed.

Even pretty useful super specialized yard stuff got the boot (i have a yard) - like duplicate shovels, maul, edgers. rarely used that stuff, theres always another way to do it. if i really really need it, buy it again later, but with more thought prior. Gave a lot of this to coworkers who recently got a house.

I did a few rounds of this at last house a few years and a year before moving and it helped sooo much. In my case, the rubbish went in the bin, everything went through a garage sale, and anything that didnt sell got donated. At least then you know its not coming back in.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thinking seriously about getting a nice hardwood kitchen table. Options are maple, cherry, walnut, red oak, and white oak. Any thoughts?

Currently have white painted drywall, white counters (may change if I remodel), and brown laminate flooring (probably will replace with something similar if I remodel). I’ve heard dark wood can darken a room up too much? There’s pretty good light in that area though.

Kinda thinking maybe white oak? Realize it’s more taste than anything but I’m awful at interior design soooo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 4, 2022

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thinking seriously about getting a nice hardwood kitchen table. Options are maple, cherry, walnut, red oak, and white oak. Any thoughts?

Currently have white painted drywall, white counters (may change if I remodel), and brown laminate flooring (probably will replace with something similar if I remodel). I’ve heard dark wood can darken a room up too much? There’s pretty good light in that area though.

Kinda thinking maybe white oak?

Can you post some pics? For the flooring, "brown" can mean anything from pale washed out driftwood color to super dark and chocolatey. But if you have white walls and decent natural lighting (and otherwise good artificial lighting), it takes a very dark floor and lots of super dark furniture to make the place feel dark.

My old apartment had ivory walls with white trim, excellent natural lighting, and very dark hardwood floors. We put our walnut Jacobean revival dining table set and walnut sideboard in the dining room and it was completely fine.

In the house that we bought, the dining room is much darker in terms of natural light, has off-white walls about the color of old dishwater, super dark trim and coffering, black mantelpiece, mid-tone oak flooring (much lighter than what was in our apartment) and mediocre overhead lighting, and even with our walnut furniture in it, it still doesn't feel dark in a bad way. In fact, my goal is to go with a dark and super moody blue-green wallpaper for it (I hate the dishwater color). And in addition to the walnut table we already had, the house came with a cherry table. So we have both tables set up in the dining room end to end.

The cherry has a really nice warmth and pretty grain, but it's very red, and in our case, clashes with its surroundings a bit (it'll be the same deal with red oak or mahogany). Maple, white oak, and walnut are going to be more neutral in terms of color temp, with maple being the lightest and walnut being the darkest. I think maple has a nice grain, especially for more modern/minimalist applications. Walnut does to, and it suits any style. With oak, it really depends. For oak furniture/millwork, in my opinion, I'd go quarter-sawn (or rift-sawn). With quarter-sawn, you get a much tighter and more consistent grain and you can get some super neat flecking. Plain-sawn oak can look comparatively rustic and runs the risk of giving off an 80's builder grade kitchen cabinet sort of vibe. Then again, I have a mid-century oak desk with a plain-sawn top and it totally owns. Also, plain-sawn would totally work if rustic is your intent.

If you go with a darker table, it's quite possible to counterbalance it with touches like a white table runner (I got a pretty nice one at Target for like $20) and white/light-colored upholstery/cushions/seat covers on the chairs. Or hell, just white chairs, if you don't go with a matching set.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any of these are going to be fine for a table so it really comes down to looks; just talking about the kind of wood doesn't really tell you (or us) anything because there are an infinite variety of ways to finish wood. Keep in mind that the wood is going to change color over time, though the impact of that color change is less obvious if the wood is stained or dyed. New cherry and new maple are similar colors, but they will be quite different after a few years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where the hell do I buy good, not poo poo furniture outside of hunting antique stores? I need a couch and I don't really want to spend untold hours of searching and weeks of waiting for the right one to come up used. This is for a home theater so I'm less concerned about looks and more concerned about being big, comfortable and not a sectional. The space can accommodate something ~90" long, but that might (read: will) be tough to get up the stairs.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 15, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

KillHour posted:

Where the hell do I buy good, not poo poo furniture outside of hunting antique stores? I need a couch and I don't really want to spend untold hours of searching and weeks of waiting for the right one to come up used. This is for a home theater so I'm less concerned about looks and more concerned about being big, comfortable and not a sectional. The space can accommodate something ~90" long, but that might (read: will) be tough to get up the stairs.

https://www.interiordefine.com/ had some sofas with good specs when I looked into them a few years ago. I will probably be getting my next sofa from them. Not sure if it's utilitarian enough for you but they have some modular ones that might be easier to get up the stairs, and a range of other styles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Furniture shopping sucks right now and I can only tell you that after doing a lot of searching at stores I could see sofas in-person (I wasn't willing to buy something I couldn't put my butt on first), I ended up with a sofa from Crate & Barrel. Its honestly pretty nice and I am satisfied with it but it took 6 months to get (and they hosed up the ottoman so I have another 6 months waiting for that to be replaced). Be prepared for a long wait or be willing to buy something with an in-stock fabric/configuration.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

https://www.interiordefine.com/ had some sofas with good specs when I looked into them a few years ago. I will probably be getting my next sofa from them. Not sure if it's utilitarian enough for you but they have some modular ones that might be easier to get up the stairs, and a range of other styles.

The James is pricey, but looks really nice. Thanks!

Sirotan posted:

Furniture shopping sucks right now and I can only tell you that after doing a lot of searching at stores I could see sofas in-person (I wasn't willing to buy something I couldn't put my butt on first), I ended up with a sofa from Crate & Barrel. Its honestly pretty nice and I am satisfied with it but it took 6 months to get (and they hosed up the ottoman so I have another 6 months waiting for that to be replaced). Be prepared for a long wait or be willing to buy something with an in-stock fabric/configuration.

:(

Edit:

Production Timeline
All items are made to order, meaning your piece is individually built for you after your order is placed. With increased demand as well as shipping delays due to Lunar New Year, our production and delivery processes take 22–25 weeks, with select products taking up to 33 weeks. Please refer to each product for expected delivery times.

Holy gently caress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KillHour posted:

The James is pricey, but looks really nice. Thanks!

:(

Edit:

Production Timeline
All items are made to order, meaning your piece is individually built for you after your order is placed. With increased demand as well as shipping delays due to Lunar New Year, our production and delivery processes take 22–25 weeks, with select products taking up to 33 weeks. Please refer to each product for expected delivery times.

Holy gently caress.

Yeah. And that's their probably best case scenario. I was originally quoted 4 months and it turned into almost 7. Also despite it being their gently caress-up, they could not rush my ottoman replacement order so I get to do it allllllllllllllllllll over again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I bought a new TV stand from a nice place in November and they told me at that time it would ship in February. It did ship in February and I still do not have it

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I bought a couch from Interior Define in November and it was delivered at the end of April. The good news is that it came as ordered and is extremely comfortable.

Edit: They have a timeline tracker once you order and it was actually built pretty fast, but then it spent from the end of December through the beginning of April on the cargo ship sailing to Los Angeles and then waiting at the port to dock.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 16, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well, at least a hurricane didn't hit the factory down south and destroy the last chair to complete the new living room set, that happened to my parents. It's some sort of flex steel set I think?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ended up going to a local furniture place and pulled the trigger on one of these:

https://www.luontofurniture.com/products/halti-corner-sofa-with-sleeper

I got to sit on it and play with the adjustment mechanisms. It feels very solidly built, in addition to being hilariously customizable and practical. It only came in the one fabric option in the header image, which isn't my favorite, but they estimated 4-6 weeks for delivery and were able to match the best price I found online (~4200 + tax), so I'm happy.

I know I said no sectionals. Shut up.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 19, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to flatten a rug?

I finally got around to buying a runner after getting recommendations here over a year ago, but it seems like it spent too long rolled up. The end that was in the center of the roll is still curled up after several days laid flat with some weight on it, and the whole thing is wavy.

Can I iron or steam it? Roll it backwards? Something else?

It's 100% polyester.

edit:
Figured it out after some searching. Place a towel (preferably white to avoid color transfer) on the rug and use a normal iron on high heat and alot of steam. Steam and press through the towel. Worked great.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trying to figure out a rug to go in the living space and in general how to lay out this area. I want more seating for visitors and my partner is insistent that people will move our dining chairs and I say lol at that actually happening. We didn’t do it when his sister was over and sort of just crowded around the couch. That’s my own discussion to take on. I’m leaning towards a simpler cool toned rug in blue. I’m really liking some of the simpler kilim rugs and less florals. The couch is more of the statement so I’m wanting more understated. The challenge is the space will take a minimum 9x12 rug. For scale the couch is 7ft total.

Will also take suggestions on stool styles. We are trying buy used so I don’t really have a budget other than more on the lower side.

I lean more towards contemporary and mid century modern. Please excuse the mess as we moved in literally 2 weeks ago.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This one would pull some of the red from the couch, and also compliment the floor imo.
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Oliver-James-Anish-Red-Floral-Area-Rug-46-x-12/20223264/product.html

This one in light grey would add some complementary color with a bit more contrast to the floor
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Porcello-Modern-Abstract-Light-Grey-Orange-Rug-8-X-10/11741514/product.html

Going back I see you said you prefer blue to, so this one would blend in p well I think.
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Amelia-Modern-Contemporary-Abstract-Ivory-Blue-Rug/27982843/product.html

I'd you want simple it doesn't get much simpler than a solid pattern.
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Handmade-Himalaya-Grey-Wool-Rug-5-X-8/8353324/product.html

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Really like your second pick, but in the ivory/green color way

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wasn't sure if you like contrast, so I went safe.
:)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Haha yea I put the couch in a green painted room with a similar hue last time I had the space to actually have some form of decor. Been living in a shoebox for the past 3 years so I’m very overwhelmed with all the options. I’m glad industrial modern and all that grey has left the landscape. And death to farmhouse.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cheese eats mouse posted:

Haha yea I put the couch in a green painted room with a similar hue last time I had the space to actually have some form of decor. Been living in a shoebox for the past 3 years so I’m very overwhelmed with all the options. I’m glad industrial modern and all that grey has left the landscape. And death to farmhouse.

Death to Chip and Joanna Gaines

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

If I were you I'd go with a contemporary kilim rug. There are lots of them in blue and/or neutral colors.

I really like this one:
https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0043332-new-handwoven-turkish-kilim-rug

This one is also cool, with more color variation but still in the general palette you were aiming for:
https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0033146-new-handwoven-turkish-kilim-rug

This one is different and low key yet super interesting all at the same time:
https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0037066-neo-caspian-kilim-rug

Not very blue but I think it would go nicely with your couch and Navajo throw blankets:
https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0010704-new-contemporary-handwoven-kilim-rug-vintage-yarn

And this one is lovely and simple with some small accents to add interest and complement your couch:
https://www.kilim.com/detail/k0028405-new-handwoven-turkish-kilim-rug

I was going to suggest Navajo rugs also but they tend to be way more overstated in terms of pattern and color contrast.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
:eyepop: the last one. Requested a quote. There’s also a similar one locally I’m waiting the seller to send me a size.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Double post, but took inspiration from the last rug and found something for the brief. Partner approves with a "this is nice".

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...33#reviewRegion

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

edit:
Figured it out after some searching. Place a towel (preferably white to avoid color transfer) on the rug and use a normal iron on high heat and alot of steam. Steam and press through the towel. Worked great.

This is a long time ago, but carpet tape is 100% worth it for both flattening your carpet and keeping it from sliding around all the time.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

This is a long time ago, but carpet tape is 100% worth it for both flattening your carpet and keeping it from sliding around all the time.

So far the ironing and carpet pad has kept it in place pretty well. If the edges ever start to curl I'll try the tape.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just taped off the area to get a sense of scale. 8x10 is so small in this space

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Couch finally came in

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is there a furniture thread? If so please point me there. Otherwise, I'm struggling to find a good coffee table for my living room.

My main question is where to look for something that not poo poo hot garbage.

Budget: ~$500

I would like something that's solid wood or mostly solid wood. I have dark floors in the space, but all the other furniture in the space is on the lighter/white side so I'd prefer something lighter. I have a 6 year old so kid friendly.

Storage space is definitely a plus, but not a requirement.

A lot of food/drink/board games happen here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is the furniture thread.

Post a photo of your current room, and may a sketch of the room layout. And measurements for the available space.

If board games is a big thing, consider something with a lip on the edges.

Are there any design styles you like or want to match?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Going to drop a warning to never buy furniture from Inside Weather. We purchased a Bondi Sofa back in May that just arrived and it's the worst couch I've ever seen. Its worse than dorm futons and cost $2,700 usd. If you return it within 14 days you can get back your money minus 15% of the non-discount price as an 'environmental fee' so best case scenario we are out like $500.

You basically get the wish.com version of what they advertise on their site.

E: Oh also their return strategy is for us to warehouse the couch in our house for 2-3 weeks while they resell it at a markdown to someone else. Then they will schedule a truck to come get it. :wtc:

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 4, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Going to drop a warning to never buy furniture from Inside Weather. We purchased a Bondi Sofa back in May that just arrived and it's the worst couch I've ever seen. Its worse than dorm futons and cost $2,700 usd. If you return it within 14 days you can get back your money minus 15% of the non-discount price as an 'environmental fee' so best case scenario we are out like $500.

E: Oh also their return strategy is for us to warehouse the couch in our house for 2-3 weeks while they resell it at a markdown to someone else. Then they will schedule a truck to come get it. :wtc:

Chargeback that poo poo if it's different enough from what you ordered or the description lied.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cornuto posted:

That’s disappointing. I’d seen ads of theirs and looked at their shelving when I was shopping around; the units they had didn’t fit what I had in mind but I thought some of their other stuff looked nice. I wonder if they’ve started cutting corners to try to get orders out the door to people.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I legit like some IKEA furniture more than mid tier furniture. Agnostic of price.

Then you think about price and it’s a no brainer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In my opinion, IKEA beats any other particle board cheap- to mid-priced furniture maker pretty handily. It's only when you get into actual solid materials and premium price brackets where it's actually worth the costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

See that’s what I originally thought but a bunch of the actual material, expensive furnitures I’ve come across are kind of poo poo.

E: I realized most of those experiences are with relatively new firms, and generally for couches. Maybe different furnitures are better?