Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kim jong-illin posted:

As much as I'd love the post-SoT/HH big series from BL to be something covering the period from the Unification Wars to the beginning of the Great Crusade, there's probably enough out there already in the way of novellas, short stories, and tangents in novels that they're not interested. I suspect it'll be the Scouring that becomes their next big series, or maybe even the Badab War.

Honestly I’d be fine with that, perhaps they could at least do a minor series here and there or a collected series of existing material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'd love a big, political Reign of Blood series, but that wouldn't sell toy soldiers, so I'm pretty much accepting it's not going to happen.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you just gotta make sure theres some special branded figs for it man. maybe limited edition, and some marked up in forgeworld

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Of course it's going to The Scouring, that way they can keep dragging the boring lumps of granite also known as Primarchs around for years to come

Edit: Personally yeah I'd totally be on board for a Badab War series

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I would personally enjoy an entirely original campaign like the Sabbat Worlds Crusade where multiple xenos factions are engaged.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I want a girlfriend

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I'd love a big, political Reign of Blood series, but that wouldn't sell toy soldiers, so I'm pretty much accepting it's not going to happen.

Who knows! They did War of the Beast, after all. I don’t believe they marketed any plastic space mans toys about that series, so perhaps there is hope yet

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

FPyat posted:

I would personally enjoy an entirely original campaign like the Sabbat Worlds Crusade where multiple xenos factions are engaged.

A big series where xenos races can actually be relevant and their culture explored would be very cool. The Twice-Dead King series has owned incredibly hard because of this, and having an extended series where the Eldar can not totally suck and there can be backroom politicking for all the xenos races and the Imperium trying to chain-backstab each other would own.

Therefore, it will never happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Who knows! They did War of the Beast, after all. I don’t believe they marketed any plastic space mans toys about that series, so perhaps there is hope yet

It would be cheaper to plaster your toddler in green food colouring and call it The Beast than it would be to make a model.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and thats including the cost to get married, pop out the baby and raise the toddler, too

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wow I completely forgot about war of the beast. There are like dozens of novels!! Are they any good?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Biplane posted:

I want a girlfriend

I want to get my husband into the hobby without spending all of our money on plastic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
War of the Beast has Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists team up to kill Orks who turned humans into mutant pig livestock. Because the Iron Warriors were so disgusted with the inhumanity.

The guys who made the Daemonculaba, disgusted with rendering the human form down to a single function.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The War of the Beast gimmick of making orks more grimmdark turned sour really fast.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want to get my husband into the hobby without spending all of our money on plastic

vox me

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Orks are plenty grimdark in their current status. They are utterly alien, terrifying beings from Tau/Imperium eyes, and they're pretty scary to Eldar eyes too, though at least they can be manipulated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orks and Tyranids are frightening in their potential, with Orks having the added bonus of being funny black comedy on top of being scary mushroom monsters. A lot of that fear and appeal is lost when you witness what a true, galactic scale waaagh looks like because it's one of the Game Over buttons for the setting. So you either end it all or you try to show off what happens and end it with a disappointment Ala Eye of Terror Campaign, or you do War of the Beast and strip away everything that makes the Orks compelling.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 20, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you don't temper the Orks with some comedy you're left with nothing but an avalanche of screaming monsters who live for war and laugh at suffering, even their own.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Orks have a culture and society, and if they won out it'd end up being an eudaimonic galaxy by their standards. Which makes me ask... why youse gits don't wanna grab a clubba and a shoota and get stuck in!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Biplane posted:

Wow I completely forgot about war of the beast. There are like dozens of novels!! Are they any good?

Once you know what to expect and have adjusted your expectation for the series accordingly, they're an entertaining read.

It wouldn't describe it as hate-reading, more like mock reading. I entertained myself that way for quite a few books, but eventually burned out. I think around the point where ~~~THE KILLTEAMS~~~ come into play, i couldn't deal with the ridiculousness anymore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/20/dare-you-set-foot-in-the-briardark-the-next-mhurghast-novel-is-revealed/

New Warhammer Horror book announced. And the sequel to Gothgirl Gothghul Hollow.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

habeasdorkus posted:

The Orks have a culture and society, and if they won out it'd end up being an eudaimonic galaxy by their standards. Which makes me ask... why youse gits don't wanna grab a clubba and a shoota and get stuck in!
It'd be a glorious wave of green and bug washing back and forth across the galaxy and everyone having a great time doing it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whatever comes out of the Octarius War will be nasty. So naturally Ghazzy waltzed in, smashed everything in sight and left again before he got bored. He's the great equalizer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Whatever comes out of the Octarius War will be nasty. So naturally Ghazzy waltzed in, smashed everything in sight and left again before he got bored. He's the great equalizer.

Octarius finished up in the recent Warzone Octarius supplements. 'nids won and poo poo is gonna be real hosed up if they follow up on it

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So where in the timeline does the end of the Octarius stuff happen? Is it roughly at the same time as Godblight (about 12 years post-rift)?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Octarius finished up in the recent Warzone Octarius supplements. 'nids won and poo poo is gonna be real hosed up if they follow up on it

So what, Ghazzy stomped in, hauled off da biggest and da best Orks for his Kroosade and whoever was left got gobbled up?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

So what, Ghazzy stomped in, hauled off da biggest and da best Orks for his Kroosade and whoever was left got gobbled up?

Sorta, yeah. Ghaz never came back and the Overfiend and the remaining orkz eventually get munched despite the Imperium trying to maintain the stalemate. There's some wild-rear end bioform descriptions in the supplement too

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Arc Hammer posted:

Essentially. In summary:
The Swarmlord showed up with another new wave after Ghazzy left, and though it was a back-and-forth for a bit, Swarmy eventually got the upper hand and the Ork Overfiend who took over post Ghazzy (can't remember his name) eventually got baited and entrapped with most of his best crew then getting wiped. Overfiend makes a final stand but eventually lost the final duel with Swarmy and his guards, and got the top of his head lopped off and was brain-devoured (by the Swarmlord) as a final insult.

There's still Ork remnants left but they're shattered into six different bits, all their new Warlords now claiming to be the new Overfiend and infighting amongst themselves, and the 'Nids are in full on-mop-up-and-have-after-dinner-port-and-biomass mode.

While the Imperium's used the oppo to stabilise their warfront in the Sector and avoid getting rolled by the 'nids after the Overfiend died, big dickhead AdMech leader who I can't be bothered to remember his name (because he's bland and uninteresting) had a hissy fit because the only reason why that warfront held is because the Space Marines / Guard realised he was an egotist and prepared to let the front fail so he could increase his personal spoils. So, they ignored him and won the battles needed to hold the line, rather than let him act out and get loot by letting the front collapse. So AdMech boss is now refusing to coordinate with the rest of the Imperial front because :cry:

That's the rough situation as of the end of latest book on the matter.

E: Whoop, beaten, oh well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope they follow through with Octarius in the future, I'd be pretty excited to see the consequences continue to spiral out. It's amazing being in an era of 40k that isn't in permanent plot stasis

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy that some xenos on xenos action happens at all. The majority of stuff since Gathering Storm has been heavily focused on Imperium vs Chaos with the occasional Eldar tidbit. I'm glad that the Orks didn't get sidelined and the Octarius War got a resolution.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I just bought and started Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waagh and realized they did the awesome thing with multiple different readers and audio effects, like in Valdor. :woop:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warden posted:

I just bought and started Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waagh and realized they did the awesome thing with multiple different readers and audio effects, like in Valdor. :woop:

Another good example of that is the two watchers of the throne books. Although I think with Valdor it’s all the same person doing all the voices.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Another good example of that is the two watchers of the throne books. Although I think with Valdor it’s all the same person doing all the voices.

Watchers of the Throne series, which slaps, got different readers for different POV chapters, Valdor's mostly the same reader (the always-excellent Steven Pacey) except for the bits where High Lord Kandawire is interviewing Valdor and recording the whole thing, they got different actors for those bits, and there's also some audio effects.

Warden fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 21, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is uhh grossly political but on the other hand... look at it

https://archive.ph/xXUyL

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder that The Dark City releases Saturday. Already up for pre-order and Kindle drops it at midnight EST. I'll be reading until the wee hours of the morning I cannot loving wait.

Just got the Helbrecht LE in and about halfway through. Pretty good so far. Marc Collins is another of the new batch of authors that has been pretty good. He is also a regular on the Black Library Nutters FB group and is just a cool dude so I'm glad to see him doing his thing. It opens with Helbrecht's first meeting with Guilliman and it's very believable in how it goes down.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Seven Views of Uhlguth's Passing is quite the story. I should try one of Matthew Farrer's novels.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perfect I’m going to be on the beach Sunday

Lucky for me

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Any good Iron Hands books from the Heresy? I know they get owned harder than most right at the start but I think Ferrus only brought part of his legion to Istvaan so they must have been doing something for seven space years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DaysBefore posted:

Any good Iron Hands books from the Heresy? I know they get owned harder than most right at the start but I think Ferrus only brought part of his legion to Istvaan so they must have been doing something for seven space years

Honestly.... Nah.