Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Super pumped for more web warriors, even though I am not sure who they might be. Scarlet Spider? Superior Spider-Man? Firestar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spider-Man (Otto Octavius) would be the funniest option, so here's hoping for that and, I dunno... Sleepwalker

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there's still Spider-Woman who could triple as Shield and A-Force. Spider-Man 2099 and Iron Spider too

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dig deep.

Puma

Tarantula

Rocket Racer

1 point Aunt May fig

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hey as long as the game is going heavy on the big point cost centerpiece monsters why not Leopardon?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Surprised no one mentioned Silk yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feeple posted:

Surprised no one mentioned Silk yet.

Silk would be an auto-buy for me, but I play Web Warriors anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Those Sentinels, Brotherhood characters, and that GORGEOUS Weapon X facility with the alternate cowboy Wolverine and Sabretooth are incredible. The quality of their miniatures just keeps getting better and better, those absolutely are some of the best Marvel miniature sculpts I've seen across everything.

So curious how Sentinels are going to play. Probably a separate new mode?

P.s. if you want to see everything it's compiled here https://spikeybits.com/2022/07/new-marvel-crisis-protocol-models-cards-sentinels.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DLC Inc posted:

So curious how Sentinels are going to play. Probably a separate new mode?

I think they're just normal models, they went into it a bit during the stream. They're their own affiliation that also includes Cassandra Nova, they're about Dormammu sized, and you can have two of the more generic one on your roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Ultimate Encounter or something, but if the sentinels were UE only I think they would have mentioned it, like they did with the Red Skull tank.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 16, 2022

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think they're just normal models, they went into it a bit during the stream. They're their own affiliation that also includes Cassandra Nova, they're about Dormammu sized, and you can have two of the more generic one on your roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Ultimate Encounter or something, but if the sentinels were UE only I think they would have mentioned it, like they did with the Red Skull tank.

I will be that dumbass where my roster is the three Sentienels, Nimrod, Cassandra, and Trask. The rest is a smoke screen.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Let's see if I did this correctly

edit: There we go. Zola, Nick, Hydra Troops, Hydra Cards. The tactics cards are the most interesting, I kind of hope they add more tactics cards with permanent effects.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 17, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hydra has big Johnny energy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kind of hoping for Spider-Girl (May 'Mayday' Parker), Spinneret (Mary Jane Watson-Parker) and Spiderling (Annie May Parker)

Israel 2
Jul 13, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i found some fun cheap diecast cars for terrain

Punisher Van

Blade Hotrod

they also have some real cheap simple cars, 1:43 is best scale

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

1 point Aunt May fig

J.J.J. standing atop the Bugle building as a 7-threat. Spider Foes, obviously.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In the newspaper comics, JJJ literally bought/stole an old Iron Man suit so that he could try and hunt down Spider-Man, let's hope that makes it into the game:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Theorycrafting

Characters :
*Red Skull
Loki (Mind)
Enchantress
Bullseye
Mister Sinister
Sabretooth
Winter Soldier
Crystal
Ultron
Mystique

Tactics (10):
Brace for Impact (R)
Patch Up (R)
Cosmic Invigoration
Dark Reign
The rest of the usual suspects

Crises:
Deadly Meteors Mutate Civilians (17)
Mayor Fisk Vows to Find Missing Witnesses (16)
Mutant Madman (18)

Alien Ship Crashes in Downtown! (20)
Fear Grips World as "Worthy" Terrorize Cities (18)
Skrulls Infiltrate World Leadership (17)

Thoughts:
Core is Red Skull/Loki at 9pts. Thinking is: repositioning and control is good. Superpowers have never been better and an AoE root is good. Sinister just cancels Black Order with extra roots, Corvus/Proxima doesn't look so good when it costs 6 power to go full Wife Guy.

Beams are a Skull's best friend, so let's load up on them. When you gainer gains 2 per like Crystal, or your nominal spender/0-cost like Sinister is now neutral at worst, that's also gonna load you up with power. Power to, say, use Such Pretty Little Playthings to line up further beams/unload with your melee'ers

With all this power Skull is generating for us, we don't mind pay-to-flips/pay-to-searches. Our rooted, drained opponents certainly do mind this, so we make it as inconvenient as possible for them, and hope to dodge Infinity Canisters or Cosmic Cubes if at all possible.

Vs. very tall lists, Sinister is extra rooting and Sabretooth can loving unload on people
super-wide CrimSyn or SamSpam, we got Bucky and Crystal to mop up garbage
A-Force, Dormammu and other 1-big-guy lists we have all the control from Enchantress & Loki
Pillow-fisted control lists like Web Warriors we have better displacement (and WW really hates root
Ultron gives us some play against Mystic lists
Mystique is in case we want War Zone plus Deception for some reason, her kit is just Punisher+

Thoughts? Will be running this for the first time tomorrow at casual store play, not a tourney, just to test.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 18, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just lost horribly to brotherhood with SLDD despite KOing Mags on the first activation of turn 3.
Juggs is a 6 who is missing a point of threat, his kit is just so absurd at doing everything and being self-sustaining
I've never beaten Brotherhood and at this point I have no idea what list even could.
they have a great 6 leader, the best 5 in juggs, a case for the best 4 in rogue and a top 3 in mystique
what beats that?
their pieces control the board, they murder well and they defend/sustain spectacularly
what am I supposed to do?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

just lost horribly to brotherhood with SLDD despite KOing Mags on the first activation of turn 3.
Juggs is a 6 who is missing a point of threat, his kit is just so absurd at doing everything and being self-sustaining
I've never beaten Brotherhood and at this point I have no idea what list even could.
they have a great 6 leader, the best 5 in juggs, a case for the best 4 in rogue and a top 3 in mystique
what beats that?
their pieces control the board, they murder well and they defend/sustain spectacularly

Sadly, the two best anti-Juggernaut pieces are Rogue or your own Juggernaut.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think you just want to ignore Juggs unless you have an absolute murderer you can put into him. He's not a wrecking ball -- he'll usually make one eight-die attack and bump someone for 1, which is good but it's not like MODOK or Scarlet Witch who can wipe your board single-handedly if you ignore them. He's a control/movement/point sitter piece disguised as a beater.

And yeah Mags is always a tough matchup. I don't have specific advice other than score as many points as you can and try to keep your important pieces safe from double-taps. Throwing terrain, even if it's just into other terrain, has significant value against him because Mags is pretty sad if all that's left for him to throw are his own pieces of wreckage.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

what beats that?

what are you playing? what was the secure / extract combo for that match you lost?

Mags big weakness is wide scenarios. after using Asteroid M, he's only moving S. any way to throw him away or stagger is great into him

Juggs is a big shiny that's meant to be a distraction. he's too tough to take down if you can only plink, but you shouldn't focus on him while
Mags is still around

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hammers/Mutant Madmen

I was running SLDD, Taskmaster, Hood, Cable and Supergiant (I just painted her and wanted to see what she could do, the answer is nothing, she is very bad)

My big mistake was leaving Cable on a flank alone t1, forgetting that Mystique has a very dumb TTC that let Juggs grab a hammer, move (generating power and dice on his next attack) then daze Cable t1

it was my own fault and I'm still very bad at positioning in this game, I'm always seemingly out of where I want to be and my opponents always seem.to daze my guys or otherwise deny my activations. it's very frustrating and I don't know how to get better at it because I'm always tilted at not getting to actually use my powers or attacks

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ya MCP is a hard game. If you’re starting against more experienced players you’re probably going to lose most of your first 20 games. Only thing you can do is re-rack and go again.

(Juggs one-shotting Cable is also pretty unlucky, even with a hammer.)

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

Ya MCP is a hard game. If you’re starting against more experienced players you’re probably going to lose most of your first 20 games. Only thing you can do is re-rack and go again.
The problem with playing against really skilled players (my opponent was a superspikey hypercompetitive guy, which, fine, but he's not my favorite guy at the shop to line up across from for that reason) is that when you lose, you don't quite realize why you've lost or how badly you've misplayed until it's too late.

It's like playing Halo against the guy who grabs the sniper rifle and spawn camps you. You lose, but you're also not actually learning anything about the game and that second part is the frustrating part.

I picked up MCP because it was a more dice-dependent, less minimize-all-variance-and-crush-with-a-tight-list type of game, or so I was pitched. But Brotherhood just humiliates me every time. Their guys are big, impossible to kill, spew out damage, are always powered up to do things, and have defensive tech. "Ignore Juggernaut, the guy with tons of movement tech, a long throw and a 8+ die builder" does not feel like a winning strategy.

admanb posted:

(Juggs one-shotting Cable is also pretty unlucky, even with a hammer.)
Cable couldn't TK shield because he moved up to pick up his own hammer, since Mystique could have picked it up if Cable didn't go when he did. I was trying to play the objective and still failed.

It seems like if I dive to grab the objectives I get counterattacked on turn one into an attrition hole I never get out of, but if I try and hang back my opponent swoops in and grabs all the objectives and I gets into a point hole that I never get out of. What am I supposed to do turn 1? have my whole team take 1 move action and stand pat out of range of anything? It always feels like my opponents do three different things with their models, and I go "move, move, pick up token, have no power and die" or "move, throw an inconsequential 4D gainer or something, let them get the point"

I swear I'm not a being of pure salt, but I just want someone who is a superpro to sit down with me and explain what, exactly, I am supposed to do turn 1, or what loving team to run. I've been watching tons of battle reports on youtube and I can't seem to make what they do happen for me.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Juggernaut doesn’t put out that much damage relative to other 5pt pieces, is my point. The eight die builder is good but relative to MODOK/Scarlet Witch, Juggs does a lot less damage. Because it’s not his role — he’s a big loving tank that does one fairly consistent hit and some poke damage, and can get wherever he wants to go. He’s a good character, but he’s not the type of 5 you want to target and burst down, he’s the kind you want to mitigate and minimize.

And smacking/dazing him isn’t going to stop Do You Know Who I Am. That’s just the cost of doing business with Juggs.

I’m not saying you pretend he isn’t there, I’m saying that damage isn’t how you deal with him.

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 20, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

I’m not saying you pretend he isn’t there, I’m saying that damage isn’t how you deal with him.
OK, how do you deal with him?

Specifically.

Blue sky me, what should be my plan for a team with Juggs, Hulk, or some other high-threat menace?

It'd be nice to just hit him with The Iron Fist every turn before he activates, but I don't think that's realistic.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There’s no one-size-fits-all solutions but in general —

- just score around them. One 5pt model scores worse than 3+2
- load them up with conditions. Stagger doesn’t work against Juggs, Stun doesn’t work against Hulk, but every big guy is vulnerable to something that reduces their power gen or action economy. Stopping Juggs from generating power means he can’t move > Nothing Stops without attacking first, which shrinks his threat a lot.
- displace them. Tougher against Juggs but physical pushes like Iron Man still work. Very good against Hulk.

(Hulk’s also quite a bit more killable than Juggs, but you have to commit to it because un-focused damage on Hulk just helps him murder you.)

admanb fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 20, 2022

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am still a pretty new player so I can't offer you specific list/model help, but are you doing a post-game breakdown with your opponent? Whenever I start a game I tend to tell my opponent that I'm working on this list and would appreciate their feedback at the end. Usually people are pretty happy to spend the extra 10-15 minutes talking about what happened and where I made mistakes or poor choices. Especially when you are playing against someone who is hypercompetitive, they might have specific ideas or insight on where you missed a chance to turn the game or fed into their strengths.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

yeah I both talk through my plays mid-game and do AAR discussions. Opponent is a cool dude otherwise, we've hung out/done craft days and poo poo, he's cool until he sits down across from me, when he goes no mercy mode.

maybe I just need to also embrace playing a tier 1 team with more forgiving play patterns rather than playing weirdo tier 2 leaders like Big D

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Hammers/Mutant Madmen

I was running SLDD, Taskmaster, Hood, Cable and Supergiant (I just painted her and wanted to see what she could do, the answer is nothing, she is very bad)

My big mistake was leaving Cable on a flank alone t1, forgetting that Mystique has a very dumb TTC that let Juggs grab a hammer, move (generating power and dice on his next attack) then daze Cable t1

it was my own fault and I'm still very bad at positioning in this game, I'm always seemingly out of where I want to be and my opponents always seem.to daze my guys or otherwise deny my activations. it's very frustrating and I don't know how to get better at it because I'm always tilted at not getting to actually use my powers or attacks

ok going back to this for a sec. this scenario doesn't actually favor Magneto. he can get an Astroid M but then he's stuck on whichever side of the board. this looks to be 18 threat from hammers. I think Cable is a bad pick honestly as SLDD isn't benefitting from him much. I think if you drop Super Giant and Cable for 2x 3's and a 2 you'll have more board presence for flipping objectives but more importantly it matters less if they blow up a 2. let's say you go Winter Soldier, Bullseye and Black Cat. Black Cat can Stagger Magneto to make him a sad panda and he gets no re-rolls into her. Winter Soldier pops off as your models start dying and he punishes them for doing so. Bullseye is a jerk where if a model doesn't one shot him he can skedaddle and plink them for a damage. there are deffo a lot of things I'm afraid of in this game that isn't Brotherhood

for the record I'm a Brotherhood player. If you ever want to do some practice rounds on tts. I'm available

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

yeah I both talk through my plays mid-game and do AAR discussions. Opponent is a cool dude otherwise, we've hung out/done craft days and poo poo, he's cool until he sits down across from me, when he goes no mercy mode.

maybe I just need to also embrace playing a tier 1 team with more forgiving play patterns rather than playing weirdo tier 2 leaders like Big D

I'm not sure if you mean Dormammu or Shadowlands Daredevil. SLDD is a boss and a top tier leader. I think people have slept on him a bit but S8 TTS league has a ton of him going around

Dormammu is a bit sad tho, ur right about that. I want him to work but :shrug:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

yeah I am a dormammu main, tried out a VERY unoptimized SLDD list last night (note the presence of worthless trash like supergiant and cable)
going back to Big D, I'm a better pilot with more reps on him

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
what's the Dormammu roster? playing a high threat leader is a different game into Brotherhood. it gives them a target to focus all their tricks on

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

yeah I am a dormammu main, tried out a VERY unoptimized SLDD list last night (note the presence of worthless trash like supergiant and cable)
going back to Big D, I'm a better pilot with more reps on him

Heh. Yeah. I was going to say that SLDD definitely isn't a tier 2 leader but he does want you to build around him in a certain way. I R's suggestion of Winter Soldier/Bullseye/Black Cat is close to what I would do, but two Rogue Agents makes your power generation for All According to Plan a little rough.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

Heh. Yeah. I was going to say that SLDD definitely isn't a tier 2 leader but he does want you to build around him in a certain way. I R's suggestion of Winter Soldier/Bullseye/Black Cat is close to what I would do, but two Rogue Agents makes your power generation for All According to Plan a little rough.

Taskmaster is CrimSyn affiliated! :eng101:

I had Bullseye in my 10 but a friend whose game started earlier needed him so I loaned him out. When I was scrambling to put a team together, thats when I reached for the Cable my friend brought but didn't field.

admanb posted:

shows you how long it's been since I looked at Taskmaster :dumb:
he's also SHIELD affiliated! :eng101:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

shows you how long it's been since I looked at Taskmaster :dumb:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

what's the Dormammu roster? playing a high threat leader is a different game into Brotherhood. it gives them a target to focus all their tricks on

Big D
Mysterio
Hood
Luke Cage
Honey Badger
Groot
Rocket
Star-Lord

other models to taste

you Must have The Grand Illusion for the wombo-combo turn with Smash. Patch up is not needed thanks to Hood.

Basic idea is pray for Demons Downtown and murder everyone while Cage tanks and Hood heals.
Groot can be a solid piece, the stock on rooting enemies has never been higher, Rocket has off-turn power-spending options and Star-Lord gives you the DA into Guardians vs Brotherhood, who make short work of Dormammu every time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Big D
Mysterio
Hood
Luke Cage
Honey Badger
Groot
Rocket
Star-Lord

other models to taste

you Must have The Grand Illusion for the wombo-combo turn with Smash. Patch up is not needed thanks to Hood.

Basic idea is pray for Demons Downtown and murder everyone while Cage tanks and Hood heals.
Groot can be a solid piece, the stock on rooting enemies has never been higher, Rocket has off-turn power-spending options and Star-Lord gives you the DA into Guardians vs Brotherhood, who make short work of Dormammu every time.

honestly I like most of those cards. I do think Guardians have game into Brotherhood; they have a ton of energy attacks to bully Juggernaut with. I would potentially add Ghost Rider and his card as he gives Guardians a hard to kill fast mover to chase down objective holders. I could see adding X-23 since you have Honey Badger already and she loves having power plus Healing Factor offsets the damage you take from Dormammu's leadership. plus it's another X-Ceptional Healing target. maybe Magik, she could pull out Magneto, with Journey Through Limbo, and let Dormammu wallop on him. Her spender is also ridic, and she spends power well

Follow Me would be a good include since you can use it in both lists. a fun move is Follow Me into Deadly Duo to start blasting a bunch of characters

I'm taking a guess but is the Brotherhood player going Magneto, Juggernaut, Rogue and Toad / Mystique depending on threat? you should have model parity, so he wouldn't be able to keep priority all the time. this can help you control tempo of the match. Hood is good but not into Brotherhood as both Mags and Juggernaut have high Mystic defense plus Magnetic Refraction to make it harder for the Rapid Fire to get work in. ultimately I think if you're also pulling in Luke and Mysterio you're lacking hitting power. also Mysterio just dies to Juggernaut because of the auto gains 2 power after walking and will bully him to death

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

honestly I like most of those cards. I do think Guardians have game into Brotherhood; they have a ton of energy attacks to bully Juggernaut with. I would potentially add Ghost Rider and his card as he gives Guardians a hard to kill fast mover to chase down objective holders.
problem there is you're only bringing in Johnny Blaze when you're tucking Dormammu to play 'bad guardians' because you can't run him and big D together, and at that point just cut Big D and play Guardians with full card and team comp support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
what I've seen of GotG they take a ton of cheap characters then one big heavy hitter. Angela would work too. Dark Dimension doesn't need a ton of tactics cards so you can probably take all the Guardians card you want really. which is mostly Deadly Duo, We Are Groot and Crew of the Milano

backing this up a bit I think you can make Dormammu work but you have to build a bit differently. Iron Man gets to do his Friday A.I. near non-stop. plus he can push Juggers / Magneto away or Helios Magneto off the face of the earth. Heimdall I think works too because you can teleport someone every round or do dice fixing to keep Dormammu's damage consistently high. it also lets you make sure Helios pops off when you need it too. I still believe in X-23 and she can spender every round slicing up the world. in essence lean into the murder party