Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jarmak posted:

Having read the memo this is not remotely what it says and this tweet is completely misrepresenting the source.

It straight up just says Garland has to sign off on new investigations into presidential or vice presidential candidates.

And, again, Trump is already under investigation and it isn't 2024 so this doesn't apply to him.

It very much does not apply to him. This is very dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

And, again, Trump is already under investigation and it isn't 2024 so this doesn't apply to him.

It very much does not apply to him. This is very dumb.

Also it presumes Garland wouldn't approve of any such investigations. Seems like consulting the AG on something so potentially sensitive would be a pretty no-brainer policy anyway. It was only an issue because Barr was Trump's hatchet-man so routing everything through his office was a way to kill it.

Did we think the only way Trump got charged was if they snuck it by Garland?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jarmak posted:

Having read the memo this is not remotely what it says and this tweet is completely misrepresenting the source.

It straight up just says Garland has to sign off on new investigations into presidential or vice presidential candidates.

yeah, i figured. we have at least one more big prime time committee and they will recommend poo poo in September probably with a full report and only then will we get a "this is what DOJ will do" deal, midterms don't affect what the DOJ does, its just more likely by the time the stuff all wraps up, it will be maybe a month before or less.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Once again another infuriating misrepresentation of facts by a twitter user. Must be a day ending in "y"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Once again another infuriating misrepresentation of facts by a twitter user. Must be a day ending in "y"

yeah, likebeing mad at bad poo poo dems/chuds/etc do is good and right but twitter loves to make poo poo even way dumber or worse then poo poo is or at least getting mad at poo poo that isnt happening/didnt happen/etc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't the idea that appointing Garland to the DOJ is payback for stealing his Supreme Court seat and that he'd be... motivated to do something?

And it apparently turns out that what Garland was motivated to do was go into his office at DOJ every day, close the door, put on some Kenny G smooth jazz at the highest volume, and just stare at the closest wall until it's time to go home for the day.

Biden didn't want anything to fundamentally change, which includes Republicans seeing actual consequences for their crimes, so he chose an inanimate carbon rod to be his Attorney General to make sure no one got prosecuted for anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BiggerBoat posted:

Hearing related: I'm very VERY interested to discover exactly what was so damning that the secret service tried to erase it because I know it can't be good and will probably confirm my worst fears.
Many of them were in the tank for Trump, and there was absolutely a plot to get Pence out of the Capitol on January 6th to keep him from certifying the election.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:decorum: poisoned morons wasting every opportunity they can. We can't go after Republicans unless the Democrats hold white House, house and Senate for at least 17 elections in a row, or it's not the will of the people!

Same reason why RBG would not resign at a more politcally opportune time such as 2012, because she (apparently) did not want to politicize the court.e other

One side is playing chess, the other side is playing Calvinball and winning.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1549434341322784768

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cimber posted:

Same reason why RBG would not resign at a more politcally opportune time such as 2012, because she (apparently) did not want to politicize the court.e other

One side is playing chess, the other side is playing Calvinball and winning.

One side is playing chess, the other side is playing rugby and putting the chess players in the ICU with life threatening injuries because they were stupid enough to set up a chess board in the middle of a rugby field.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol.

Couldn't they just get the agents in question to testify about what exactly was in those messages? I think they'd probably cooperate since it's possible the texts would turn up in some backups on the NSA's databse or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol.

Couldn't they just get the agents in question to testify about what exactly was in those messages? I think they'd probably cooperate since it's possible the texts would turn up in some backups on the NSA's databse or something.

Possibly, but 1) destroying evidence isn't a great sign in terms of how honest a witness is and 2) it's still a loving crime.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sounds like it's a good time for their jobs to mysteriously disappear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Possibly, but 1) destroying evidence isn't a great sign in terms of how honest a witness is and 2) it's still a loving crime.
Oh sure, and I hope they people responsible do time for it. But from the Jan 6th point of view it seems like a testimony from USSS that Meadows told them to kidnap Pence would be pretty solid

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tony Ornato, come on down! You're the next loser meatshield!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I'm guessing, especially if it's sms, that there is end to end encryption. The key probably died when the devices were wiped.

That's pure speculation tho and yall can explain to me how for sure at&t or the nsa must necessarily have the contents of those texts.

If we have encrypted messages, tho, we'd have all the metadata...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

loving with national archives poo poo aint wise because they like being able to tout that they basically have everything recorded. Have fun dickheads. Because this just went beyond the committee because of crimes and at least big “your out on your rear end” gently caress ups

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving with national archives poo poo aint wise because they like being able to tout that they basically have everything recorded. Have fun dickheads. Because this just went beyond the committee because of crimes and at least big “your out on your rear end” gently caress ups

Just like all the times when police bodycam footage "accidentally" gets deleted? While I would like to see all of the USSS that deleted their messages get arrested for destruction of evidence, let's face it, that's probably not going to happen.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Randalor posted:

Just like all the times when police bodycam footage "accidentally" gets deleted? While I would like to see all of the USSS that deleted their messages get arrested for destruction of evidence, let's face it, that's probably not going to happen.

What do police bodycams have to do with the national archives and federal record keeping laws?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

What do police bodycams have to do with the national archives and federal record keeping laws?
In court: Concealment == Knowledge of criminality.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

In court: Concealment == Knowledge of criminality.

Potentially, but this is much simpler: there are federal laws governing record preservation that don't require secondary criminality. That's what the national archives announced they're now investigating.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Motive.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Nothing, but what it does relate to is destruction of evidence pertaining to an ongoing investigation. Now, it's "just" a committee investigation, but it could lead to a criminal investigation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

because

Jarmak posted:

Potentially, but this is much simpler: there are federal laws governing record preservation that don't require secondary criminality. That's what the national archives announced they're now investigating.

this. it opens up a whole new separate case.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cimber posted:

Nothing so grandiose, and if she said that it was an obvious fig leaf reason when she just plain didn’t feel like retiring and when you’re an 80 year old with life tenure you get pretty arrogant.

It’s the same as trying to get a set-in-their-ways old person to move to assisted living or give up driving, with disastrously larger stakes.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 20, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jarmak posted:

I've brought this up before but why doesn't the committee just subpoena whatever mobile carrier the USSS uses to get the text records that way?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

I've brought this up before but why doesn't the committee just subpoena whatever mobile carrier the USSS uses to get the text records that way?

There is probably bad news laying behind this question/answer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Hiring a high official's kid is a laundered way of gaining influence with said official. It's run of the mill corruption. Senator's kids go to high end schools and are handed well paying jobs based on who their parents are as opposed to any concept of merit.

Hunter Biden has a Yale Law Degree.
Hunter Biden was an executive VP at a massive international bank.
Hunter Biden worked in the State Dept.
Hunter Biden formed a successful lobbying group.
Hunter Biden was on the Amtrak Board
Hunter Biden was CEO of a hedge fund
Hunter Biden co-founded multiple consulting firms and a venture capital fund
Hunter Biden was counsel for a large white shoe law firm
Hunter Biden was Chairman of a large charity
Hunter Biden was on the board of a Chinese equity fund

It is perfectly reasonable to look at that list of positions over the last 25 years and think, “that’s someone who has been handed everything because of his name”.

But, if his name wasn’t Hunter Biden and you read that person was on the board of a company like Burisma you wouldn’t even think twice about it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Murgos posted:

But, if his name wasn’t Hunter Biden and you read that person was on the board of a company like Burisma you wouldn’t even think twice about it.

That's the grift: You only need the leg up for your first couple hires, once you've been handed a couple of these failson positions you're a respected industry veteran, and can get by on your own merit if you have even a shred of competence (in the event that you lack any merit whatsoever, being related to the (Vice) President isn't bad either).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

There is a real separation of powers concern. It’s not usual for a congressional committee to subpoena phone records of executive branch employees performing their ostensibly daily work. Especially if that office has formally said, “there is nothing of interest for you here”.

It’s better for it to come through DoJ or the OIG office predicated on a substantive need to avoid it likely being smacked down by a court.

That doesn’t mean a court will smack it down, there is a lot of evidence it’s relevant to the J06C purpose but it’s going to get a harder look and isn’t a slam dunk.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

That's the grift: You only need the leg up for your first couple hires, once you've been handed a couple of these failson positions you're a respected industry veteran, and can get by on your own merit if you have even a shred of competence (in the event that you lack any merit whatsoever, being related to the (Vice) President isn't bad either).

I think I said essentially this in the paragraph above the one you quoted? My point though is, he does have what *looks* like a lot of valid credentials and considering where the criticism is coming from maybe the blanket, “failson with no merit” we all keep parroting is a little off in that he’s no different than ten thousand other grifting failsons running most of the corporations in the Western Hemisphere.

Is he a schmuck who got his spot based on his parents? Sure, but that’s all of them and actually a lot more reasonable background than DJT Jr or Ivanka.

Edit: Now, excuse me my table is ready at Dorsia and have you seen my business card?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 20, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Murgos posted:

I think I said essentially this in the paragraph above the one you quoted? My point though is, he does have what *looks* like a lot of valid credentials and considering where the criticism is coming from maybe the blanket, “failson with no merit” we all keep parroting is a little off in that he’s no different than ten thousand other grifting failsons running most of the corporations in the Western Hemisphere.

Is he a schmuck who got his spot based on his parents? Sure, but that’s all of them and actually a lot more reasonable background than DJT Jr or Ivanka.

I meant it as further clarification to the post you responded to, not as disagreement. I wholeheartedly agree his career is little different from thousands like him who are less famous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Charliegrs posted:

I sincerely hope that the Secret Service was using some kind of encryption, so having access to the raw texts gives you no information. However, I've been wrong before...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
You can have one text, as a treat

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1549574704150749184?s=21&t=9rL4s10_HXL2GxrccM7-sQ

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Murgos posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to look at that list of positions over the last 25 years and think, “that’s someone who has been handed everything because of his name”.

Oh wow that's amazing so yeah this has what to do with the January 6 coup attempt?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Murgos posted:

and they say that crack will ruin your life smh dea

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Murgos posted:

There is a real separation of powers concern. It’s not usual for a congressional committee to subpoena phone records of executive branch employees performing their ostensibly daily work. Especially if that office has formally said, “there is nothing of interest for you here”.

It’s better for it to come through DoJ or the OIG office predicated on a substantive need to avoid it likely being smacked down by a court.

That doesn’t mean a court will smack it down, there is a lot of evidence it’s relevant to the J06C purpose but it’s going to get a harder look and isn’t a slam dunk.

The "nothing of interest, just daily work" excuse works a lot better when you didn't "accidentally" delete all your records after being ordered to retain them, and then "accidentally" double-deleted all the back-ups oopsie doopsies! Like, maybe we live in a beautiful, pure world and agents only texted about being hungry for some wings with curly fries all day long; it still looks dubious as hell.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I assume texts sent from USSS phones are backed up on at least one server somewhere automatically. That's pretty normal for government. So if they are well and truly gone that would mean someone deliberately went into that server and deleted them in which case there should be a log of who did that and they would be in severe trouble.

I mean in a just world ☹️

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The USSS explanation is already in the article linked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/19/secret-service-texts/

quote:

Many of its agents’ cellphone texts were permanently purged starting in mid-January 2021 and Secret Service officials said it was the result of an agencywide reset of staff telephones and replacement that it began planning months earlier. Secret Service agents, many of whom protect the president, vice president and other senior government leaders, were instructed to upload any old text messages involving government business to an internal agency drive before the reset, the senior official said, but many agents appear not to have done so.

Now they could be lying about whether this purge was pre-planned (and I’d guess they almost certainly are), but there is almost certainly a paper trail of some kind about this directive.

The agents/fall-guys who “didn’t upload their texts manually as instructed” will be the ones subject to facing consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LegendaryFrog posted:

The USSS explanation is already in the article linked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/19/secret-service-texts/

Now they could be lying about whether this purge was pre-planned (and I’d guess they almost certainly are), but there is almost certainly a paper trail of some kind about this directive.

The agents/fall-guys who “didn’t upload their texts manually as instructed” will be the ones subject to facing consequences.

So the USSS relies on the agents to manually back up their texts as opposed to an automated backup solution that surely every other department in the government uses.... :wtc: