Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"appies"

"walkies"

"hubs/hubby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

"walkies"

I take umbrage to this one. It's just faster and better than "walkie talkies".

But you can also just say "hey grab the comms eh?" if you want to be minimal lame level.

Or be a full grown up and just say "grab the radios please".

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I think in this case "walkies" means taking your dog for a walk

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Grab da shooties and da walkies, we going to waugh

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Enfys posted:

"appies"

"walkies"

"hubs/hubby"

Hubs/hubby rankles me and I don’t know why. If you’re using that word you are too young to be married

Also, Rae Dunn anything, even the Halloween items which is disheartening but true.

I if a “stop making sense” line comes about I may be swayed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

teen witch posted:

Men who insist on not moving out of the way when walking in front of me, going the opposite direction. Men never move, but most women will.

So, I’ve adopted this habit of…not moving out of the way. For the elderly, disabled, kids, parents, ok of course, I gotcha. But men who expect the world to simply ~part open~ for them?

I am a fat lady who has clearly given up, move.

So to be clear, your pet peeve is other people not moving out of the way for you, because you yourself don't want to move out of the way for other people?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

So to be clear, your pet peeve is other people not moving out of the way for you, because you yourself don't want to move out of the way for other people?

Men specifically will walk into my way and never move, expecting women to move. It’s a thing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trying very hard to believe you rn.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

Trying very hard to believe you rn.

lol. giving the maximum benefit of the doubt right now and it's barely covering it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

teen witch posted:

Men specifically will walk into my way and never move, expecting women to move. It’s a thing

Yeah…but aren’t you doing the same thing to them ? I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of how what you are doing is any different.

I dunno. Can only speak for myself, but as a dude I’ve had the opposite experience where I usually seem to be the one stepping out of the way, but I’ve never thought about it much, because it’s not even an inconvenience to move to the side for a second.

I think everyone just kind of feels like everyone else is in their way regardless of gender tbh. The only truly universal experience is old people at the supermarket blocking everyone.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The trick about the getting around oblivious people of either sex is just don't make eye contact.

You are just a train on a line, and you aren't watching. It's not a challenge thing.

People will generally move. Don't be mean to children, and don't pick fights with dangerous looking people. But hell, if Karen gets a nudge, what that the gently caress is she going to do? Just ignore the sputtering. Maybe she learns, and will act different next time. Maybe not.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I usually just say excuse me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only true solution to a neutral situation like that is to flip a coin. Heads, you move out of the way, tails, you clothesline them and spike a football into the ground.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My head is spinning. Did the other men exclude me from this conspiracy? Or have I been an unknowing participant all along? Have I been going about my life rudely blocking untold numbers of large, given-up women with my careless gait, and not even realized it? Is oppression so deeply woven into my DNA that I subconsciously move directly into the path of women and then anchor myself like a sumo wrestler on the ring's edge? Or is my aggressive saunter simply a product of my swarthy Italian heritage?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

The only true solution to a neutral situation like that is to flip a coin. Heads, you move out of the way, tails, you clothesline them and spike a football into the ground.

Nah neutral solution is to walk backwards, then you can plow into as many people as you want all on equal terms!

*(there may be like an 80% chance you wander into traffic before walking into anyone)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Can't speak for them but I will loving stand my ground on assholes who walk side by side or three across blocking the whole walkway and don't move to their side.

Don't give a gently caress. Unless it's a kid who doesn't know better. I'm not moving or twisting my body to get out of the way or accommodate that rudeness.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I'm always walking and weaving the gently caress thru ppl coming from any direction at all times like a bird artfully threading a needle through a rich fabric of motherfuckers who will NOT be occupying that space before i do sometimes it means getting my strafe on but its nbd really

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Can't speak for them but I will loving stand my ground on assholes who walk side by side or three across blocking the whole walkway and don't move to their side.

Don't give a gently caress. Unless it's a kid who doesn't know better. I'm not moving or twisting my body to get out of the way or accommodate that rudeness.

If there are three dudes waking side by side there is a 80% chance they are drunk so anything is fair game in that situation.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yup. rich white men literally stonewall me and block me like a linebacker on the street., not playing their games. i barrel right through them to the cheers of my lgbtq+ poc allies. i'm holding my line on this path and my loving elbows are out. no one is passing me in this grand prix, not with all i've had to sacrifice to get here

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
guess it’s just me. I won’t leave the house next time

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/01/manslamming-verb-gerund/384343/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

clickbait

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
All this time I thought manslamming meant something very different

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

All this time I thought manslamming meant something very different

Yeah I’ll cop to not knowing the name until today. Kinda sounds like an uncomfortably salty dish at dennys

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I walk quite a bit and very non-scientifically I'd say during the day and most week-nights seems bout even on gender who will give way. Thursday-Saturday night, yeah packs of drunk dudes don't generally yield, and possibly just want to avoid in generally.

Like there's lot's of exceptions, and location obviously matters. And I would put clusters of whoever in business suits where ever encountered in same category as young drunk males on weekend nights.

Burn business suits and whoever chooses to remain within em I say.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna offer manslamming sessions at the park with admissions $10 a pop.

You just take turns running into each other, then change partners.

Dudes are dumb enough it would likely work.

We do it until somebody calls the cops. If the cops join, fee goes up to $20. No weapons!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway I thought of more words I hate:

adorbs
amazeballs
yummers
bröstvårtor (nipples, literally translated to “breast warts”)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I assume that last one is Scandinavian nonsense, but it doesn't even make sense to be rude like that. Men got to make language (back in the kitchen, witch) but we -like- nipples. Why be mean to them?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

teen witch posted:

bröstvårtor (nipples, literally translated to “breast warts”)

...is the non literally translation like any better?

Even slightly?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Butcher posted:

I assume that last one is Scandinavian nonsense, but it doesn't even make sense to be rude like that. Men got to make language (back in the kitchen, witch) but we -like- nipples. Why be mean to them?

It’s Swedish, and I feel breast warts are so…lifeless? It’s what Elon Musk has. He has breast warts, where most have nipples.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

It’s Swedish, and I feel breast warts are so…lifeless? It’s what Elon Musk has. He has breast warts, where most have nipples.

I'm down with this interpretation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Butcher posted:

I'm down with this interpretation.

I mean yeah sure, better. Still reckon just gonna try and forget it entirely.

This is a word shall never -I really hope- use again. If I do I'm trapped within a bad horror novel and shall have other things to worry about.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
your stupid kid doesnt need to watch tv on your iphone at full blast at a restaurant
you dont need to listen to r&b blasting while taking a dump
you dont need to watch baseball at full volume while at the hardware store, nothing loving happens, you dont need to watch, you dont need to listen
the gas pedal is meant to be pushed to the floor when merging into traffic, i dont want to die merging behind you at 35mph
no, the brown people arent stealing all our taxes. youre retired living in a state that doesnt tax social security what the gently caress you piece of poo poo
no, i wont watch fox news i dont care whats happening at the border. you chose to live there five years ago.
no, i dont care that no one speaks "american" anymore, you chose to live on the Mexican border in an area that is 98% Hispanic and votes hard blue
no, i dont need a gun to protect myself from "the thugs"
thanks for not stopping at the light, i love almost being tboned and possibly killed because you dont give a gently caress
it shouldnt take you five loving minutes to eat a single bite of food, everyones done eating, we've had desert already, you're two bites into a burger AGAIN
nice pickup how does paying 500 bucks a week in gas work out for you so you can "roll coal"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
people who pronounce harassment like it has two Rs

sexual HAIR-ESS-MENT

gently caress off ugh you're almost saying loving hairy assment christ learn to R

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Enfys posted:

"appies"

"walkies"

"hubs/hubby"

oh my loving god, this. "bring your lappy over" (meaning "laptop")

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Philthy posted:

your stupid kid doesnt need to watch tv on your iphone at full blast at a restaurant
you dont need to listen to r&b blasting while taking a dump
you dont need to watch baseball at full volume while at the hardware store, nothing loving happens, you dont need to watch, you dont need to listen

Also, headphones & earbuds exist

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also, headphones & earbuds exist

you can get half decent ones super cheap these days too

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

people who pronounce harassment like it has two Rs

sexual HAIR-ESS-MENT

gently caress off ugh you're almost saying loving hairy assment christ learn to R

I honestly can't tell if you're complaining about the American or British pronunciation. Both pronounce the R only once, though in different ways. Can you describe your grievance with IPA?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Philthy posted:

But they do need to watch a tablet at their great grandmother’s funeral (wife’s cousins daughter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
People who say "let's go!!!" when they get excited.