Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CommonShore posted:

That's what I signed up for. You're not going to convince me that a tercio would just keep walking straight into m60 machine gun fire until all of the soldiers are dead.

They definitely would not. If it breaks up a unit of modern troops, it'd break up a unit of non-modern ones. It's not like the era that produced tercios didn't have scouts, skirmishers, marksmen and assassins, there are ways of dealing with even a death spitting demon machine once the initial shock clears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Perestroika posted:

I still can't get over how they went through that entire nonsense with the internal sown-in shoulder harness and exposed hooks just to hold their fancy waist belts up. :allears:

yeah, the stuff in the op is great but i'm going to try and dig back to read all of it because it's all so ridiculous.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

You could write a book like 1632 using a town from any developed country and get the same "<X country>, gently caress Yeah" feeling.

Sure. Nobody else does, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a whole genre in japan, but it mainly sends people one at a time to fantasy worlds instead of a whole town to a specific period of history.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm not even sure the US is the most egregious for "x country gently caress yea" fiction just because the UK has like a 100+ year head start on that kind of scifi.

Also I forget the name but there's an insane alt history where South Africa develops super tech and conquers most of the world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

Sure. Nobody else does, though.

Russia's got films that sure as poo poo do. Most recent watch was Sobibor from 2018, written, directed, and starring (lmao) Konstantin Khabenskiy, a darling of historical cinema. It takes an event where polish, jewish camp inmates recruited some recently arrived jewish RKKA prisoners into an already-planned uprising, and retells it to be the mighty russian bears awakening the polish sheep, with judaism mostly ignored. This is quintessential embarrassing US filmmaking, except the hero foreigners who inspire everyone are russians using russian cultural tropes instead.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean it's literally the plot of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The US is one of the few places that still does that, with the others that I can think of being like Russia and North Korea and the like. But historically? That kind of narrative was much more more common. And its weirdo cousin, love letter to other culture and how it's better than yet another culture : looking at you, Winteou books.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Russia's got films that sure as poo poo do. Most recent watch was Sobibor from 2018, written, directed, and starring (lmao) Konstantin Khabenskiy, a darling of historical cinema. It takes an event where polish, jewish camp inmates recruited some recently arrived jewish RKKA prisoners into an already-planned uprising, and retells it to be the mighty russian bears awakening the polish sheep, with judaism mostly ignored. This is quintessential embarrassing US filmmaking, except the hero foreigners who inspire everyone are russians using russian cultural tropes instead.
If you'd be interested in an over-the-top Tollywood action epic that also happens to have a lot of over-the-top Indian nationalism there's RRR (2022), literally the most expensive Indian film ever made, and one of its highest grossing. It's a extremely...fanciful...I guess you'd call it biopic about two historical Indian revolutionaries from the 1920s, and is mostly about what shits the British are, but manages to work in plot elements that suggest that, for example, child soldiers are good actually, and that becoming a suicide bomber is a glorious way to fight colonial powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubG posted:

If you'd be interested in an over-the-top Tollywood action epic that also happens to have a lot of over-the-top Indian nationalism there's RRR (2022), literally the most expensive Indian film ever made, and one of its highest grossing. It's a extremely...fanciful...I guess you'd call it biopic about two historical Indian revolutionaries from the 1920s, and is mostly about what shits the British are, but manages to work in plot elements that suggest that, for example, child soldiers are good actually, and that becoming a suicide bomber is a glorious way to fight colonial powers.

Ah but is it fair?

https://twitter.com/SpecCoffeeHouse/status/1549370467580084225

My understanding was that the magnanimous Col. Dyer didn't even use the armored car mounted machine guns he had at his disposal at Amritsar.

e: whoo boy

quote:

That is not to say that there is nothing to regret. Almost every conversation about the British Raj sooner or later mentions the Amritsar Massacre in 1919, when a squad mainly of Gurkhas commanded by a British officer opened fire on an illegal demonstration. Several hundred people were killed. Yet this was regarded at the time as a unique and shocking atrocity. Churchill condemned it in parliament. The officer responsible was sacked. But priests of the Golden Temple in Amritsar (the holiest Sikh shrine) thought he had done the right thing, and made him an honorary Sikh.

I have stood on the spot where the massacre took place, with feelings readers might easily imagine. Some young Indian men came up to me. I was expecting at least a reproachful comment. But they just wanted to say hello and practise their English. I mention this because hardly any British person who has been to India – and I have been half a dozen times to as many different regions – can have experienced hostility arising from the memory of British rule. Usually the opposite is true. I know Indians whose parents or grandparents held office under the Raj. Indeed, in the 1920s, when this film is set, India was mostly run by Indians, under fairly distant British supervision. The distinguished Indian writer Nirad C. Chaudhuri (whose father was a nationalistic city official) recalled that he had never met or even seen an Englishman during his childhood, until a British inspector came to his school and presented him with a paintbox.

Surprised he didn't say Dyer "did his duty"

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 19, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

There's a lot of questionable politics baked into RRR (this is true of virtually all popular cinema everywhere, with regional variations just placing more or less emphasis on different bits) but lol at begrudging the right of anyone, much less India, to hate the British Empire.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

zoux posted:

Ah but is it fair?

https://twitter.com/SpecCoffeeHouse/status/1549370467580084225

My understanding was that the magnanimous Col. Dyer didn't even use the armored car mounted machine guns he had at his disposal at Amritsar.

e: whoo boy

Surprised he didn't say Dyer "did his duty"

Important to note that the Spectator published an article titled "In defence of the Wehrmacht", in 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've a question (or a few) that may be entirely too broad brush and alt-history to really provide any substantive answer for, but here goes:

Often when the topic is brough up, my dad like to lambast the Maginot Line and the expense involved, in manhours, capital and material for the popular impression that it gave little result in the persecution of the early stages of the war. He contrasts this against US spending and construction projects of the era (large infrastructure megaprojects ala Hoover Dam, Grand Coulee, etc), that later fed the war machine to great effect*. Hydropower allowed for the large aluminum concerns that resulted in skies flocking with American built planes, and so on.

*Naturally this kind of ignores the geographical realities that meant the US had no need for massive networks of fortifications.

So, my questions to this general viewpoint:

-How much did French civil or industrial spending/investment suffer due to the spending on the Maginot Line?
-Given a similar scale of expenditure, could the French have invested largely into infrastructure and industry instead of defensive works?
-Had they done so, did the French have suitable sites to build such projects (handy river valleys asking to be dammed) or available raw resources to put into these new factories?
-Did a population so ravaged by WWI have the manpower to staff such new industrial projects?
And finally, would it have made any drat difference or would it have just resulted in that much more production capacity and machine tooling waiting to be looted and co-opted by the Nazi regime?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

I'm not even sure the US is the most egregious for "x country gently caress yea" fiction just because the UK has like a 100+ year head start on that kind of scifi.

Also I forget the name but there's an insane alt history where South Africa develops super tech and conquers most of the world.
I believe these are the Draka books, in which a hyper-racist empire practicing literal slavery into an industrial economy sets out to conquer the world and, obviously, succeeds, because otherwise the books would end. I believe there is some sort of conclusion when the non-Elon Musk states eventually get enough space presence to be able to credibly threaten colony drops, to which the Draka are like "Well, alright, fair enough, I guess we probably can't eugenics ourselves into immunity to asteroids."

I don't remember how sci-fi the racist eugenics gets. It's strange how you never run into "eugenics project as grotesque waste of time that accomplishes nothing," but I suppose it is generally bad fictional form to make the villains just stab themselves in the leg for no god drat reason.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Having thought about it a little more there isn't any national cinema or literary tradition I can think of that refuses the call to "our country is the best and watch us kick rear end." There are obviously works within those traditions, and non-national traditions, that don't participate, but of the traditions I've spent any time on, they are absolutely awash in ra-rah we're exceptional and incredible and willing to bend historical truths to make it appear so (for me that list would be American, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and British).

*Note obviously that there are plenty of literary and cinema traditions I know jack-all about. I can't name a crazy nationalist piece of Irish literature for example, because I've only read like Joyce and Keats, not random airport novels, whereas with China I've seen hilariously bad 70s propaganda films where China nearly won the Opium War, though if you want more contemporary examples there's always Wolf Warrior and Shaolin Soccer.

Nessus posted:

I believe these are the Draka books, in which a hyper-racist empire practicing literal slavery into an industrial economy sets out to conquer the world and, obviously, succeeds, because otherwise the books would end. I believe there is some sort of conclusion when the non-Elon Musk states eventually get enough space presence to be able to credibly threaten colony drops, to which the Draka are like "Well, alright, fair enough, I guess we probably can't eugenics ourselves into immunity to asteroids."

I don't remember how sci-fi the racist eugenics gets. It's strange how you never run into "eugenics project as grotesque waste of time that accomplishes nothing," but I suppose it is generally bad fictional form to make the villains just stab themselves in the leg for no god drat reason.

lol thanks

I think the bigger problem with writing a narrative where the eugenics projects is similar to how it operates IRL is that its just not narratively efficient: if something happens on the page it should progress the story, and if the bad guys are doing it then it should be some sort of escalation of threat. That said having thought about it, I'd say that "eugenics as a horrible expensive waste of time" is obliquely part of Handmaid's Tale.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The only sin RRR has done is to be lazy and just stick lace on khaki tropical service uniforms.

And that is wrong and gross.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aye sor, these arr some PROPER dainty lads we got ere

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Nessus posted:

The Draka unleash a super plague, the remaining free people surrender but get to send a ship to Alpha Centauri. The Draka work wormhole tech to try to kill them, and end up timeline jumping. With the implication that they are going to attempt to be a multiversal power.

As far as the eugenics programs go...they get very racist. Basically everyone in Africa who isn't Draka is a test subject with various racial castes. With a fair amount of hinting at some hosed up sexual politics too between the shitheads and their slave races.

Upon reflection, I have read far too much very lovely and problematic military science fiction. I think I may need to re-read a Vorkosigan Saga book or two to cleanse the palate.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean it's literally the plot of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The US is one of the few places that still does that, with the others that I can think of being like Russia and North Korea and the like. But historically? That kind of narrative was much more more common. And its weirdo cousin, love letter to other culture and how it's better than yet another culture : looking at you, Winteou books.

Yeah I used the present tense for a reason. 19th century Britain hoo boy.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

SubG posted:

There's a lot of questionable politics baked into RRR (this is true of virtually all popular cinema everywhere, with regional variations just placing more or less emphasis on different bits) but lol at begrudging the right of anyone, much less India, to hate the British Empire.

careful, some posters here might start denying random British genocides again :v:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

Yeah I used the present tense for a reason. 19th century Britain hoo boy.

Really we should make a bot that posts “19th century britain hoo boy” every page or so. It’s an evergreen sentiment.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Having thought about it a little more there isn't any national cinema or literary tradition I can think of that refuses the call to "our country is the best and watch us kick rear end."

Maybe Canada?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*king_leopold2 has entered the chat*

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lots of Canadian literature is a bit critical or at least ambivalent towards "National" experiences in war or colonialism, but the "Canada gently caress Yeah" stuff tends to be towards the pioneer mentality and the brave anglo-scottish protestant settlers taming the completely vacant and unoccupied wilderness. There's a goddamn Canadian long poem about finishing the loving railroad for gently caress's sake.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

The Draka unleash a super plague, the remaining free people surrender but get to send a ship to Alpha Centauri. The Draka work wormhole tech to try to kill them, and end up timeline jumping. With the implication that they are going to attempt to be a multiversal power.

As far as the eugenics programs go...they get very racist. Basically everyone in Africa who isn't Draka is a test subject with various racial castes. With a fair amount of hinting at some hosed up sexual politics too between the shitheads and their slave races.

Upon reflection, I have read far too much very lovely and problematic military science fiction. I think I may need to re-read a Vorkosigan Saga book or two to cleanse the palate.

The Barrayarans are kinda hosed-up too, but at least the audience-sympathy characters are generally "yes this is true we're doing what we can to fix it."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
HALTED BY THE BERSERK FIEND ........... HITLER

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Is not wearing a shirt also a part of the national tradition?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ensign Expendable posted:

The options appear to be that or some kind of cape, going by his headshot portrait.

If he actually made multiple escapes and got caught by Hitler personally every time, he probably contributed to the war effort just by keeping the Fuhrer busy with prison guard detail instead of, say, running a war.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Luring the cold into a false sense of security.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arrath posted:

Maginot Line

I'm not an expert on interwar French economics so can't really give an answer about of any of that stuff, but a really important thing to note about the Maginot Line is that: it worked. Germany did not invade through it. Now of course it can be said that it was short sighted to not anticipate an invasion through Belgium but at the end of the day the Germans had to look at that option because they didn't want to force the forts.

It's also important to note that the primary reason for them was reducing manpower requirements for the army as this was one of *the* biggest political hot potatoes in interwar French politics, and it effectively was politically unacceptable to have enough conscripts drafted for long enough to form an army that could effectively defend France without major forts.

Finally, in terms of industrial capacity remember that France and Britain were the two most industrialised countries in Europe at the, more so than Germany which had a bigger agricultural population than either. I don't think there was much talk of expanding France's industrial base at the expense of fortifications, though there probably was consternation at the price tag (I can't remember off the top of my head).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Actually he's only wearing boots and a belt as was fashionable in the day.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm not an expert on interwar French economics so can't really give an answer about of any of that stuff, but a really important thing to note about the Maginot Line is that: it worked. Germany did not invade through it. Now of course it can be said that it was short sighted to not anticipate an invasion through Belgium but at the end of the day the Germans had to look at that option because they didn't want to force the forts.

The French absolutely anticipated a German invasion through Belgium - the whole rationale of the Maginot Line was to force the Germans to invade through Belgium, so the new war could be fought there rather than on French soil. Once the Germans invaded Belgium, the mobile parts of the French Army and the BEF moved into Belgium, to establish a defensive line along the Dyle river. The problem with this plan was that the main force of the German invasion was coming through the less well-defended gap between these mobile forces and the Maginot Line in the Ardennes. This area was seen as an unlikely target for the Germans because it had few roads on which supplies could flow forward (and indeed, the German logistical tail ended up in a massive traffic jam) and good defensive terrain.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

I'm not saying the artist's fetishes are creeping in here.

They are at proud display.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

It's also important to note that the primary reason for them was reducing manpower requirements for the army as this was one of *the* biggest political hot potatoes in interwar French politics, and it effectively was politically unacceptable to have enough conscripts drafted for long enough to form an army that could effectively defend France without major forts.

Finally, in terms of industrial capacity remember that France and Britain were the two most industrialised countries in Europe at the, more so than Germany which had a bigger agricultural population than either. I don't think there was much talk of expanding France's industrial base at the expense of fortifications, though there probably was consternation at the price tag (I can't remember off the top of my head).

Germany had a more inefficient agricultural sector, but it still had twice the population of France. France had also experienced a sharp decrease in birth rates over the previous 50 years, whereas Germany hadn't, so the difference in working/military-age population was very large.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Randomcheese3 posted:

The problem with this plan was that the main force of the German invasion was coming through the less well-defended gap between these mobile forces and the Maginot Line in the Ardennes. This area was seen as an unlikely target for the Germans because it had few roads on which supplies could flow forward (and indeed, the German logistical tail ended up in a massive traffic jam) and good defensive terrain.

The thread had a lot of discussion about Ardennes just a week ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

I hear Canadians don't grow body hair, plaid shirts natually form around them. Red for the Anglos and Celts and blue ones for those in French Canada.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

about half of french heavy industry was destroyed in the first world war, as it was concentrated in the northeast where the iron and coal was. so the counterfactual "should france have built defenses or invested more in infrastructure like the united states" needs us to consider what the united states would have done assuming that HyperCanada hosed up everything from pittsburgh to chicago

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tulip posted:

Having thought about it a little more there isn't any national cinema or literary tradition I can think of that refuses the call to "our country is the best and watch us kick rear end."

I mean given the events of the 20th century, I would bet Germany?

Nahhh. Canada has its superiority complex thing going, to the point where half our reason for being is to say "well we're not as bad as the Americans!"

We're only just starting to come to terms with the genocide we attempted. We had a conservative government sponsored initiative to puff ourselves up about the war of 1812 (hilariously it was all Anglo focused, despite the fact that only the French militias really put in a standout performance). And of course there's the whole Vimy thing.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 20, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PittTheElder posted:

he whole Vimy thing.

Yeah true there's lots of national mythology around Canadian performance in the world wars. Usually it's the story of the "The King and Empire was on the back foot until the tough, stoic Canadian farm boys crossed the sea to carry the day with their workmanlike can-do pioneer attitude." In some case it has more pathos, e.g. the (pre-Confederation) NL regiments in WW1. For a long time, too, we had the whole "World Peacekeepers" thing, but that died with Paul Martin's government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

about half of french heavy industry was destroyed in the first world war, as it was concentrated in the northeast where the iron and coal was.

yes but did they have sufficient pallets?