Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Scallop Eyes posted:

Asa and War having an Eddie Brock and Venom relationship is great, and makes this seem even more like a Spider-Man story.

Can't wait for Asa to be friends with Denji while hating Chainsawman even more.

Honestly, I really hope the relationship continues to develop that way because that loving rules.

I love chainsawman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

Yeah my first thought was the similarity between the powers working on "things I own" and "people who I'm superior to". My first instinct was she should try to become head of the devil hunter club, but gently caress that, student council president election arc, Denji is hosed then, right?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
At this point Asa could be Denji's prospective enemy, friend, or love interest.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

LostRook posted:

At this point Asa could be Denji's prospective enemy, friend, or love interest.

Given it's CSM these are not mutually exclusive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Fair enough. Though she did throw him out of a window.

She did this to Kishibe too lol. I think primarily as a story reason to avoid either of them being sent to hell as it only took people in the department store. Also an easy way for her to end fights without the effort of having to beat them down/kill them. I don't think he's on Quanxi's level but he's definitely pretty elite compared to most Devil Hunters we've seen I think even aside from the Kishibe third-rater comment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah my first thought was the similarity between the powers working on "things I own" and "people who I'm superior to". My first instinct was she should try to become head of the devil hunter club, but gently caress that, student council president election arc, Denji is hosed then, right?

The Student Council devil would slam war, makima, gun, and chainsaw imo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
As a seasoned reader of Chainsaw Man, I expect this guy to die in three chapters.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm waiting to see if Denji's school enrolment lists his surname as Hayakawa :negative:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

Didn't Trump sacrifice years of the lives of US citizens in Part 1 to make a pact with 20% of the Gun Devil in an attempt to kill Makima? Which he could do because he had the authority to do so as President?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it was chapter 75.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Didn't Trump sacrifice years of the lives of US citizens in Part 1 to make a pact with 20% of the Gun Devil in an attempt to kill Makima? Which he could do because he had the authority to do so as President?

He sacrificed one year of all their lives ya. Then you know life imitates art

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't Chainsaw Man set in the 90s or something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

Late 90s.

Not like it matters since it's a bunch of different poo poo from reality. Trump could easily be president in the 90s.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Popo posted:

Oh boy! it's time to get SO POPULAR!
Looking forward to the arc where War tries to become an idol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Ec8WpLmjs

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Waiting for the reveal that +70% of the school is just devils and fiends all looking for CSM, with the remainder being undercover devil hunters keeping a lid on things.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
part 2 being a shonen highschool battle manga would be all kinds of lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

1996-1997, or thereabouts, yeah. Gun attacks in September '97, a little before Denji's birthday.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kishibe is a devil hunter who managed to not die, which is impressive enough no matter how personally strong he might be. he's been around, seen some poo poo, knows some poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kishibe is a devil hunter who managed to not die, which is impressive enough no matter how personally strong he might be. he's been around, seen some poo poo, knows some poo poo.

Mad Dog Kishibe was the world's best Devil Hunter in his prime, which is all the more impressive considering he was partnered with Quanxi, the legendary First Devil Hunter.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Makima thought of him as an equal, which is pretty impressive.

(Maybe you're thinking of Yoshida here, though, who does have survival as his most notable attribute, in which case, yeah. Dude's got some good marks on his record just from that.)

One thing this chapter seems to suggest is that Denji's made Devil Hunting much more popular. It used to be treated as sanitation work with a shorter life expectancy, but now high schoolers are forming clubs and students are expected to want to try it for a career.

Probably also weakened Devils a lot, too. When it's "Maybe government agents can help?", that doesn't cut fear much, but when it's "A superhero is going around beating up devils like they owe him money.", then that makes people less scared in general.

And that probably has consequences.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i did mean kishibe, but it applies to both of them.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dexo posted:

"Nah, I'm Good"

what a great line. i hope this guy isn't instantly turned into paste

edit: mitaka seems to be really against this possession thing in the cold hard light of day, but i think she doth protest too much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kishibe is massively reduced in power because according to one of Quanxi's girlfriends he basically has nothing left to offer the devil's he's contracted to. I still think Fuji is waiting to give us a major fight with him. He fights and easily beats the three girlfriends off screen and then Quanxi throws him out the window which ends the fight without either of them really going all out or being KO'd.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kishibe fell on Kobeni’s car and was basically fine, while another assassin also fell on the car and was in extreme pain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he also casually states that he’ll track down and kill power and denji himself if they ever go rogue and we’re given no reason to think it’s a bluff. the guy’s a monster with or without his contracts

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

And he very easily killed Denji and power multiple times during their training, only to heal/revive them with blood for more training.

Kishibe ain’t no joke

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wonder where the fight between Chainsaw Man and the horsemen took place. If it took place in hell maybe that's how War and Control showed up on Earth. After finding out with Darkness that certain Devils have never appeared on Earth because they're too strong to have been killed I always assumed Death would be one. After Darkness and Death it's hard to imagine any more primal fears that would be in their class.

We better be getting Kishibe in an absolute barn burner of fight even if he's killed

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I would assume the primal fears would be darkness, fire, pain, water (drowning?), and blood. But we know blood isn’t a primal fear, so I’m off on at least one.

Early on I know a lot of people in this thread were assuming Makima would be the humanity devil, and while we know that’s not the case now, I’m still assuming there will be a very strong ‘humans’ or ‘people’ devil.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

He sacrificed one year of all their lives ya. Then you know life imitates art

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I would assume the primal fears would be darkness, fire, pain, water (drowning?), and blood. But we know blood isn’t a primal fear, so I’m off on at least one.

Early on I know a lot of people in this thread were assuming Makima would be the humanity devil, and while we know that’s not the case now, I’m still assuming there will be a very strong ‘humans’ or ‘people’ devil.

I would assume Death would be one of the primal fears. Not sure about fire, unless it was like the burning alive devil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the sickness devil is probably terrifying unless their power is split up between a bunch of lesser categories. i don't know if it even works that way.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Just wait for the Public Speaking Devil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Kishibe fell on Kobeni’s car and was basically fine, while another assassin also fell on the car and was in extreme pain.

To be fair to Aldo, Kishibe slowed his fall with a knife before hitting the car, while Aldo just fell ten stories with no modifiers and then walked it off.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did they ever explain what happened to the gun devil in between it going crazy and killing everyone and then being split up into a bunch of pieces all over the world?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

the sickness devil is probably terrifying unless their power is split up between a bunch of lesser categories. i don't know if it even works that way.

Honestly, the whole "devils are powered by fear of their thing" doesn't make much sense if you think about it too hard. Like, people aren't really scared of GUNS, they're scared of getting shot and dying, so why is the Gun Devil so strong? Shouldn't the Gun Violence Devil be the strong one? In that case, shouldn't the Violence Devil be even stronger, since presumably anyone scared of gun violence would also fuel Violence Devil along with all other kinds of violence?

It's best not to look too closely at this stuff and just accept how it goes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

Did they ever explain what happened to the gun devil in between it going crazy and killing everyone and then being split up into a bunch of pieces all over the world?

It's strongly implied that Pochita happened to it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly, the whole "devils are powered by fear of their thing" doesn't make much sense if you think about it too hard. Like, people aren't really scared of GUNS, they're scared of getting shot and dying, so why is the Gun Devil so strong? Shouldn't the Gun Violence Devil be the strong one? In that case, shouldn't the Violence Devil be even stronger, since presumably anyone scared of gun violence would also fuel Violence Devil along with all other kinds of violence?

It's best not to look too closely at this stuff and just accept how it goes.

The “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” theory of devil empowerment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

It's strongly implied that Pochita happened to it.

I thought at that time Pochita was causing a ruckus in Hell until he had to flee from the Four Horsemen and hide out with Denji