Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

The way people react to militant veganism is strikingly similar to the way people react to leftism.

Goes to show how important messaging is if you don't wan't to turn people against you out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Counterpoint; you'll never have good enough messaging to get through to the people who bark and snarl at leftist rhetoric, because the problem isn't how nice you are, it's how dumb they are.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

flakeloaf posted:

Imagine, a city council hamstrung by such an arbitrary thing as the will of its electorate. How dare the people be fairly represented?

Plus side it's easier for developers to bribe 1 person instead of backing 3-6 different councillors. That's what we want right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You ain't even gotta bribe John Tory.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Bleck posted:

Counterpoint; you'll never have good enough messaging to get through to the people who bark and snarl at leftist rhetoric, because the problem isn't how nice you are, it's how dumb they are.

Yes, that's how vegans feel about us filthy carnivores, as this X page derail shows.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

trapstar posted:

We really don't have large groups of activists in Alberta like in other part of the country. My main problem with SJWs though is the level of belligerence with which they push their viewpoint. Ad hominems and name-calling instead of discussing the issues at hand or being open to hearing the other side of the issue. Sometimes they even use violence, which imo should never be used for political purposes. They want to police society and do so without the consent of anyone involved.

Sorry that I ripped the cat converter off your truck in response to your lovely "f*ck trudeau" sticker but if it makes you feel better, it wasn't really political i just needed some beer money.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Ottawa has effectively already been living under a strong mayor system given how the Watson club basically supports his agenda unconditionally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

I mean yeah, but I’ve never been hungrier for bacon than I have today

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please, stop beating the dead horse(meat). You're just tenderizing it.

infernal machines posted:

I think we're all ready for an enlightened despot, no?

He was the one who felt Singapore was the ideal of good governance, right?

That's the one. Also I remember he made some dramatic post about gathering the whole family around the kitchen table and deciding not to vote Conservative, possibly around Harper's book-burning period?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

trapstar posted:

We really don't have large groups of activists in Alberta like in other part of the country. My main problem with SJWs though is the level of belligerence with which they push their viewpoint. Ad hominems and name-calling instead of discussing the issues at hand or being open to hearing the other side of the issue. Sometimes they even use violence, which imo should never be used for political purposes. They want to police society and do so without the consent of anyone involved.
Just gotta keep this ironic post for posterity.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah, but I’ve never been hungrier for bacon than I have today

Lol there's one in the wild

How far does this "choose to be contrarian to own the libs because lack of decorum hurt my feelings" shtick go for you?

*TheKingofSprings reads a heated discussion describing violence against women where some are rightfully enraged*

"I've never beat my wife, but since you're all so hysterical, I guess today's the day I start :smuggo:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

run on sentience posted:

How far does this "choose to be contrarian to own the libs because lack of decorum hurt my feelings" shtick go for you?

*TheKingofSprings reads a heated discussion describing violence against women where some are rightfully enraged*

"I've never beat my wife, but since you're all so hysterical, I guess today's the day I start :smuggo:"

Oof buddy, don't compare women to animals

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

run on sentience posted:

:chloe:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dear monkey paw. Please give us a big news day to distract the DND Canada thread from dumb.

Thank you. God bless.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Dear monkey paw. Please give us a big news day to distract the DND Canada thread from dumb.

Thank you. God bless.

Member of Parliament identified as something awful user! Vegans aghast.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

flakeloaf posted:

How dare the gubmint stop us from cuttin down are trees cause they's nature or somethin, we got lots of nature outside

Do you have the link to the original post for this? Super curious

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

run on sentience posted:

good loving lord

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

redbrouw posted:

Oof buddy, don't compare women to animals

Why do peoples brains shut down around this topic? Comparing oppression to highlight a point is not saying the victims are the same.

In other news, The pope is coming to town! How many millions are we spending on this visit? Good thing we'll get some vague speech about being sad for all the dead or abused kids. Totally worth it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Booked my second booster shot, thanks Alberta for finally doing the absolute bare minimum.

And I dunno what y'all been doing for the past couple pages, but it looks insane, so I'll turn around and head out now. Toodles, and remember to wash your hands thoroughly after flinging poo poo at each other!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

That's the one. Also I remember he made some dramatic post about gathering the whole family around the kitchen table and deciding not to vote Conservative, possibly around Harper's book-burning period?

I wonder what Fraternite would have to say about Pierre Poilievre

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arabian Jesus posted:

Do you have the link to the original post for this? Super curious

Sure!

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/visualizations-data/ccom/

quote:

Public opinion estimates are produced using a statistical model that incorporates actual survey responses from a large dataset of >9,000 individuals that have been collected since 2011. For details see Mildenberger, M., Howe, P.D. , Lachapelle, E., Stokes, L.C., Marlon, J., and Gravelle, T. “The distribution of climate change public opinion in Canada.” Available here.

This research and website are funded in part by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, the Fonds de Recherche du Québec - Société et Culture, the Skoll Global Threats Fund, the Energy Foundation, and the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment. Additionally, funding for individual survey waves was provided by the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, the Public Policy Forum, Sustainable Prosperity, Canada 2020, l’Institut de l’énergie Trottier and la Chaire d’études politiques et économiques américaines.

In all honesty, if I saw a list of sponsors whose ideologies all aligned with the findings of a study that said something I didn't like, I'd raise an eyebrow.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DrBox posted:

In other news, The pope is coming to town! How many millions are we spending on this visit? Good thing we'll get some vague speech about being sad for all the dead or abused kids. Totally worth it.

Disregarding the importance of the Pope's apology to the survivors of residential schools is :chloe:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
How the gently caress did some of you actually engage with a 2012 account with 50 posts that kramer'd into the thread to troll about the looming SJW threat in Alberta?

I know you know better than that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IDK, is CanPol some exclusive club that requires an extensive and vetted post history to participate in?

You should be grateful, the Rural Alberta Advantage posting saved us from several more pages of scintillating meat is murder derails

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 20, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

They're just saying to avoid what seems like obvious bait.

That said I can understand it's hard to resist dunking opportunities.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Alberta opened up 2nd booster appointments finally, booked to jab for Friday!

Very excited to hear how about 20% of the population decides to get them. Even somewhat rational, double-vaxxed-ASAP people on my hockey team were saying they didn't feel like getting a needle 2-3 times a year to keep up with variants.

:psyduck: We're so boned.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

McGavin posted:

Disregarding the importance of the Pope's apology to the survivors of residential schools is :chloe:

I hope his tour ends with him getting arrested or writing a big cheque for the church's crimes against humanity

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pleads posted:

Alberta opened up 2nd booster appointments finally, booked to jab for Friday!

Very excited to hear how about 20% of the population decides to get them. Even somewhat rational, double-vaxxed-ASAP people on my hockey team were saying they didn't feel like getting a needle 2-3 times a year to keep up with variants.

:psyduck: We're so boned.

Me too!

I wonder what will happen to the “I can’t be expected to get injections several times a year!” crew if they ever develop a medical issue that requires regular treatment? Will they just decide to… die, or what?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Fried Watermelon posted:

I hope his tour ends with him getting arrested or writing a big cheque for the church's crimes against humanity

It would probably end up with a bunch of local churches going bankrupt and selling off assets while the Vatican denies any direct involvement just like in Newfoundland.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I was just thinking of that as a best-case scenario, and I made myself happy for a moment

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Me too!

I wonder what will happen to the “I can’t be expected to get injections several times a year!” crew if they ever develop a medical issue that requires regular treatment? Will they just decide to… die, or what?
Humans are bad at risk assessment. Proactive vs reactive. People don't want to do something if they don't feel like they don't have to.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao a week or so ago I found someone's bike bag with a shitload of expensive stuff and fortunately his ID. Got the stuff back to him and he asked me for my mailing address.

Now I have a $100 gift card to spend...

At the keg.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

EvilJoven posted:

Lmao a week or so ago I found someone's bike bag with a shitload of expensive stuff and fortunately his ID. Got the stuff back to him and he asked me for my mailing address.

Now I have a $100 gift card to spend...

At the keg.
Lmao welcome to Hell friend. Goon meet at the Keg and we'll close down the bar on our gift cards.

In fact I checked the letter mine came in again and there was a second $50 card in there.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Getting a gift card to the keg just means whoever sent it to you didn't even care to spend their own money, they used visa points

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

apatheticman posted:

Getting a gift card to the keg just means whoever sent it to you didn't even care to spend their own money, they used visa points

they're clearly just re-gifting a gift card they received from someone who re-gifted it, so on and so on

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

There is a distinct difference between treatment and prevention.

Add in that outside of high risk groups, published literature isn't clear on how much additional benefit a 4th shot provides, and I understand the hesitancy. I'm not going to book a 4th shot unless it's mandatory - the likelihood of having a bad outcome as a result of omicron with 3 shots is already very small, and the benefit appears minor (based on available research). Personally, shots #2 & #3 have meant a full week of feeling like absolute dogshit - aches and pains, migraines, upset stomach / no appetite, and multiple days with a fever above 103F / 39.5C. I only have so many sick days, and I'm not willing to go through that for a marginal at best improvement. This cbc article has links to the research in question:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/fourth-dose-covid-vaccine-canada-omicron-ba5-1.6521937

If boosters didn't make me feel like garbage I'd have signed up already, but a marginal at best short term benefit vs a week of feeling lovely doesn't have me running out to get jabbed. If the omicron specific ones currently in development show significant improvement in the fall I'll certainly get it at that point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

DrBox posted:

Comparing oppression to highlight a point is not saying the victims are the same.

The point of a comparison is to suggest a similarity between two things.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If they could provide rational arguments that didn't seek to provoke or enrage then it wouldn't be militant veganism.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DrBox posted:

Why do peoples brains shut down around this topic?

I think it's nothing new. There's a clear "right side of history", but it seems so far away as to appear almost impossible to a lot of people.

Or there's the apathetic version: I realized within the last few years that it's incredibly unlikely that I'll die a meat-eater. But I remain one today, and I have no idea or goal for when I'll flip that switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe jinxing myself since I got my 4th shot yesterday but I feel astonished that people have reported all sorts of symptoms with the vaccines and I feel like at worst I have a sore arm and maybe feel a little tired. It feels hard to imagine I just have a good immune system or something.

Not to discount anyone's experience and whatnot. I doubt I would have been excited to get my 3rd or 4th had it made me feel like poo poo for days.