Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watchdogs also lets you hack his car during the chase, so for me it turned into a looney toons episode of him swerving into a parked car, then recovering just before I got there, then doing it again a few hundred yards later, until he finally got hung up on something he couldn’t back off of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's what the superior series, Saints Row, is for

:hai:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Carthag Tuek posted:

I remember in one of the early Saints Row games, you have to chase a guy who drives through a parking garage and makes a jump off the roof. My friend and I were new at the game, so after a couple failed tries we just said gently caress it, stole a bunch of cars & parked them in front of the ramp so the guy we were supposed to chase crashed. That wouldn't fly in GTA lol

I do recall in Vice City you have to race against this guy whose name I'm pretty sure was Hillary. He gets a nice car, you get a lovely car, and the race is hard. Unless you plop a big fuckin truck right in his way so he just drives into it, giving you time to get OUT of your car and into one that actually can race.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

Watchdogs also lets you hack his car during the chase, so for me it turned into a looney toons episode of him swerving into a parked car, then recovering just before I got there, then doing it again a few hundred yards later, until he finally got hung up on something he couldn’t back off of

I was annoyed, okay?

EDIT: I'm also concerned that my last two posts concerned the Watch_Dogs games. Games that people generally forget ever existed.

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Jul 20, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Double post because I am dumb.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Double post because I am dumb.

Should have edited this to be about watch_dogs

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://twitter.com/Nexxtic/status/1549537674712809473?s=20&t=Jy2ZFd_fAsE0qKw813cAuQ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

flavor.flv posted:

Should have edited this to be about watch_dogs

I did.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Should've kept it and just had the character transported to a party.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was annoyed, okay?

EDIT: I'm also concerned that my last two posts concerned the Watch_Dogs games. Games that people generally forget ever existed.

the first game was boring but the second game was pretty good and the third game had a neat idea even if it didn't live up to it. i'd much rather have a game that tried something neat and failed than didn't try anything at all like the first one, though

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

flatluigi posted:

the first game was boring but the second game was pretty good and the third game had a neat idea even if it didn't live up to it. i'd much rather have a game that tried something neat and failed than didn't try anything at all like the first one, though

Yeah, Watch Underscore Dogs 2 felt like Saints Row + Hackers (the Matthew Lillard movie), and it ruled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am very tempted to do a Hate LP of Watch_Dogs 1. I love Chicago, and the concept is so good, but the protagonist is so bad. I have still played it all the way through four times.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

credburn posted:

I do recall in Vice City you have to race against this guy whose name I'm pretty sure was Hillary. He gets a nice car, you get a lovely car, and the race is hard. Unless you plop a big fuckin truck right in his way so he just drives into it, giving you time to get OUT of your car and into one that actually can race.

Yeah the complaints about GTA being too scripted doesn't really fly with me because I remember multiple missions where I completely bypassed some long chase scenes using judicious climbing and a sniper rifle, or a C4 on a car hood

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am very tempted to do a Hate LP of Watch_Dogs 1. I love Chicago, and the concept is so good, but the protagonist is so bad. I have still played it all the way through four times.

:doit:

I know Chip and Ironicus did an LP taking the piss out the main character the whole time, and Grant spent a lot of time talking about Chicago landmarks when they'd come up.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

cammy14 posted:

Yeah the complaints about GTA being too scripted doesn't really fly with me because I remember multiple missions where I completely bypassed some long chase scenes using judicious climbing and a sniper rifle, or a C4 on a car hood

I think the whole GTA being too scripted thing is something which came around with GTA IV - the point when GTA became more serious and lost the fun which previous games had.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was a fairly gradual transition. GTA3 was pretty freeform, to the extent that you could lock yourself out of 100% completion if you did the missions in the wrong order because one of them involves killing an NPC who has his own line of missions, and if you do it before finishing all of his, well, sorry, he's dead now. Vice City and San Andreas started to lean a bit heavier on scripting, especially during chase sequences ("all you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!"), and then 4 and 5 are when they really started to introduce the whole "this guy you're trying to kill for this mission died before he was 'supposed' to, mission failed" punishment for failure to follow the script thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember a sequence in GTA:SA where you're trying to kill a guy, but he jumps on a bike to flee and you have to get on another bike to chase him. I was trying to gun him down and he just would. not. die. Turns out he's invulnerable until you finish the chase! Then he crashes his bike and then you can shoot him. But not before.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Please, understand before I say this, that I say this as someone who had beaten Assassin’s Creed four times before Assassin’s Creed 2 came out:

what the gently caress

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It was a fairly gradual transition. GTA3 was pretty freeform, to the extent that you could lock yourself out of 100% completion if you did the missions in the wrong order because one of them involves killing an NPC who has his own line of missions, and if you do it before finishing all of his, well, sorry, he's dead now. Vice City and San Andreas started to lean a bit heavier on scripting, especially during chase sequences ("all you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!"), and then 4 and 5 are when they really started to introduce the whole "this guy you're trying to kill for this mission died before he was 'supposed' to, mission failed" punishment for failure to follow the script thing.

I can't remember a mission where they fail you for killing a target early, the devs usually just make the guy/his car bulletproof/explosionproof/whatever until you're supposed to kill him when that is the case

Even the infamous Wrong Side of the Tracks can be beaten easily by rushing to an overhead bridge, waiting for the train to come, and then jumping down on top of it and simply gunning down the guys on the train on foot

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dewgy posted:

Please, understand before I say this, that I say this as someone who had beaten Assassin’s Creed four times before Assassin’s Creed 2 came out:

what the gently caress

Self-loathing, I guess...and driving at ridiculous speeds down Lower Wacker Drive while randomly raising drawbridges.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Should I play Watch Dogs 1 and 2? Don't tell me to skip 1; if I'm going to play 2 I have to play 1 first. I don't know why it is that way but it is and I'm sure a lot of you can relate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’re OK I guess? Watchdogs 1 tries way too hard to be a gritty serious story (while also being GTA with magic cell phones) whereas 2 leans into the silliness of it and as a result is probably the closest we’ll get to a video game version of the movie Hackers

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Aiden Pierce's iconic cap

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Aiden Pierce and his sister-wife (they were originally written to be husband and wife, but they changed it for an unknown reason, so now they're just weirdly close siblings).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Should I play Watch Dogs 1 and 2? Don't tell me to skip 1; if I'm going to play 2 I have to play 1 first. I don't know why it is that way but it is and I'm sure a lot of you can relate.

Play Watch Doggy 2.
I'm not going to tell you to play 1. If you do so anyway out of some weird compulsion I understand, but I'm not going to say you should.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

WD2 is fun because you can ignore the stealth gameplay almost entirely for sitting in a vehicle outside the area being a bootleg Dr Robotnik, while the AI flails around unable to find you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Icedude posted:

WD2 is fun because you can ignore the stealth gameplay almost entirely for sitting in a vehicle outside the area being a bootleg Dr Robotnik, while the AI flails around unable to find you.

Same in WD:L, 95% of the puzzles can be bypassed or at least shortcut with a drone of some sort.

The other 5% intentionally use a drone.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That was kind of the initial idea with Watch Dogs 1, as I recall, and you can play the first couple missions by sneaking through cameras.

You can also buy a grenade launcher more or less immediately and not use any of the supposedly unique hacking mechanics. Watch Dogs 1 was such a weird game. Don't play it, even if your gamer completionist brain tells you to. Just start with the second one. You're not missing anything important.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Watch dogs 1 is such a mess, there are missions where the goal is to find out something you explicitly knew in a previous cutscene and a character dies sacrificing themselves to trade for a hostage you've already rescued several missions back.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's not even a fun kind of mess. Just watch the Chip & Ironicus lp instead.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
WD1 is impossible to have fun in. It's like crappy GTA written by a computer edgelord. WD2 is way more fun but I really hit the wall with it being fun a few hours in.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
I don't remember much about Watch_Dogs 1 other than being annoyed that the kid's nickname was Jacks. It just sounds so weird. Lose the 's', Aiden!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Golden Dragon posted:

I don't remember much about Watch_Dogs 1 other than being annoyed that the kid's nickname was Jacks. It just sounds so weird. Lose the 's', Aiden!

Jacques?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Golden Dragon posted:

His name is Jackson, so it's almost forgivable...nothing else about Aiden is though.

Play 2 because Marcus and his crew are awesome and funny, ignore 1 because Aiden Pierce is a loving awful protagonist and the writing is terrible. Legion has some neat poo poo in it, but it's okay at best. It's not as inherently awful as 1 at least.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'll say Watch Dogs 1 is funny to play through to poke at all the holes from the non-stop executive meddling. Just so many dumb things happen, it's fun to yell at them.
Bee-lining the main quest doesn't take long. But also feel free to drop it because it's also nothing too special outside of the swiss-cheese story.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 20, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's got the Spider Tank minigame, that's fun.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Watchdog 1's writing was before the great Dading era of game writing. Marketing didnt believe that golden demographic of 20something males could related to a married man, so change him to an uncle that would anything for his sibling's family.

but then the flood gates opened, and aging white males that started to have familys finally got their story out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Philippe posted:

Aiden Pierce and his sister-wife (they were originally written to be husband and wife, but they changed it for an unknown reason, so now they're just weirdly close siblings).

I have no proof, but I'm certain there was a conversation like this.

"Hey, that new Watch_Dogs game is looking interesting. Some cool fashion, a bit of hacking... we've not heard much about the protagonist yet though."

"Oh, well his name is Aidan, we're working on some interesting things with him. Expect to be surprised!"

"Cool cool. Glad to hear you're not just going for some generic 'Oh, I must rescue my daughter, hide my misdeeds from my wife' plot. People are really sick of those."

"Ha... ha ha ha.... of course not... excuse me one second..."