Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

If anything FM's model makes it way easier to deal with star players on a megabastard team than it is in real life. Players are always unhappy about their contracts and unhappy about their playing time and unhappy about having to train and on and on. And FM doesn't even model baby momma drama, players loving teammates' wives, or sex crimes.

Does it model substance abuse, PEDs and/or non-sexual crimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah coaches' Fitness and Motivation stats and players' :airquote:Natural:airquote: Fitness stat is their doping aptitude

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure there are cheating events that make players hate each other, and missing training due to partying too much

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure there are cheating events that make players hate each other, and missing training due to partying too much

They're in the game as standard, but only for regens.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Yeah would be a legal uh issue to say the least to make real life players miss practice for clubbing lmao

I just figure I shouldn't have to be reassuring the captain of the team that he's a leadership figure every six months when Stade Rennais try to sign him again for a quarter of his estimated value.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

On the funny name front I got a youth named Thierry Kabongo (from DR Congo even) who's had some massive development, he's gonna be fighting for the starting RB spot at 17.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Moktaro posted:

On the funny name front I got a youth named Thierry Kabongo (from DR Congo even) who's had some massive development, he's gonna be fighting for the starting RB spot at 17.

Scouted an American kid called Marco Capitano but his Leadership wasn't up to snuff.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I finally got Newmarket Town to the FA Cup 3rd Round, then drew...at home vs Mansfield. :argh:

And by at home I mean playing in Cambridge City's crappy 3000 seat stadium while our lovely new 20k+ home is being built. :argh:

EDIT: Holy poo poo we won. Now we're playing...QPR at home.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 18, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sebzilla posted:

It's a golden age for young British goalkeepers.

Who to sign?

I want my keeper to sweep which Hartson is going to be better at, and he's probably the better shot stopper too, but he's under 6ft and Henderson's Jumping/Aerial and Bravery have me doubting myself. His Anticipation, Decisions and Determination are all slightly better too, but Hartson's Concentration is great.

A dilemma.

e: Henderson has an extra half star of potential, but his two-footedness is going to be eating up a fair chunk of CA for comparatively little benefit. My scouts aren't fantastic so that's probably not a huge consideration either way.

Update on this, I went with short stuff Hartson and two years down the line he's just gone a whole Premier League season only conceding 26 goals behind a fairly lovely defence with a save % of 86% (next best in the league is 79%) and is being chased by Man Utd and PSG for all of the money. Hopefully I can convince him to stay with the fact we just finished third and won the Europa League.

Henderson hasn't really kicked on at all in comparison.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

My left back (6'6") is a full 15 inches taller than my left winger (5'3")

Comedy teambuilding, can highly recommend it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I have a 5'3" striker and a 6'8" midfielder who isn't very good, but I keep him around anyway because it's awesome.

Irrelevant tangent, years ago I saw a minor league baseball team that had both the shortest (Chris Cates, 5'3") and tallest (Loek Van Mil, 7'1") players in pro baseball history on it. They stood beside each other for the national anthem. The only time I've ever enjoyed an otherwise extremely dumb tradition.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have a 5'3" striker and a 6'8" midfielder who isn't very good, but I keep him around anyway because it's awesome.

Irrelevant tangent, years ago I saw a minor league baseball team that had both the shortest (Chris Cates, 5'3") and tallest (Loek Van Mil, 7'1") players in pro baseball history on it. They stood beside each other for the national anthem. The only time I've ever enjoyed an otherwise extremely dumb tradition.

Cates might be the shortest current pro baseball player, but he would have a long (short?) way to go to be the smallest all-time. Eddie Gaedel of the St. Louis Browns stood a proud 3'7".

I've been gravitating more and more toward tall wingers/wingbacks in my current save. Size on the wings does seem to help in FM22.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

mrnoun posted:

Cates might be the shortest current pro baseball player, but he would have a long (short?) way to go to be the smallest all-time. Eddie Gaedel of the St. Louis Browns stood a proud 3'7".

I've been gravitating more and more toward tall wingers/wingbacks in my current save. Size on the wings does seem to help in FM22.

Eh, Gaedel was a gimmick who only played in one game.

Loek Van Mil never made it to the majors, but he did play in Japan. And then he died in 2019. :smith:

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 19, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
His spiritual successor (another 7 footer) got drafted in the MLB draft yesterday

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Now I have a Zimbabwean youth named Vincent Sithole who's looking good. Looking forward to my future fullback pairing of Sithole-Kabongo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how fortunate

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
if he's of a goonish-nature, does he Sithpost?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So last summer Leeds (who'd just been relegated) wanted silly money for one of their players. £50M+ offers getting rejected.

Eventually I gave up and he ended up moving to promoted Aston Villa for £45M plus a player, getting paid £92k per week (which would have been too much for my wage structure anyway)

Luckily for me they put in a relegation release clause and promptly bombed back out of the league so I've now snapped him up for £33.5M and a £65k contract.

Not bad for a 22-year-old Argentina international with room to improve, Model Citizen personality, loves big matches, consistent, two-footed centre-back who can cover all across the back line. Absolutely lovely bit of business.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
The 5 under 21 foreign signings a season absolutely wrecks the usual tactic of "just already own all the decent South Americans before they get a chance to establish themselves in Europe".

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does anyone else have trouble finding success with a non 4-2-3-1 formation? I swear I start every save thinking "this <formation> is going to be my forever formation".

After a quarter of the season, I'm barely scoring, my players act like total idiots, and I'm constantly tinkering with my tactics to get some success.

A few matches later, I switch to the 4-2-3-1 and it's like my players got a new lease on life.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shroud posted:

Does anyone else have trouble finding success with a non 4-2-3-1 formation? I swear I start every save thinking "this <formation> is going to be my forever formation".

After a quarter of the season, I'm barely scoring, my players act like total idiots, and I'm constantly tinkering with my tactics to get some success.

A few matches later, I switch to the 4-2-3-1 and it's like my players got a new lease on life.

In FM22 I've basically only played with a 3-2-3-2. One ball playing CB, two wide CBs, two center mids, an AML/C/R and two strikers.

Fullbacks / wingbacks are dead to me.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I've actually got on slightly better with a 4-3-3 (DM, 2MC, AML/R) for whatever reason. Think it gives a bit more control in the middle and also stops all my attackers tripping over each other in the box (two inside forwards and an AMC was messy.)

This is in FM21 though so probably different. And sometimes it stops working so I revert to 4-2-3-1 for a bit or even just got 4-2-4 against a weaker side to get our mojo back.

Played some really silly attacking nonsense formations internationally against minnows. 2 DCs, wing backs, 1CM, 2AMCs and three strikers was fun. Just an ultra aggressive 4-3-3 really.

Had a weird time at the Euros with England, beat Croatia 5-2 in our first group game then scraped a draw with Norway with a last-minute equaliser and lost 3-0 to Romania. Third place in the group was enough to get to the knockouts though and then made light work of Wales, Spain and Germany without conceding a goal. Football came home but was sick in a hedge on the way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Always 4 2 3 1 except that year 3 4 3 longball was hilariously broken and I'd use that for a laugh sometimes.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm also a little annoyed because my star striker got picked up by Man City for 17m (the board only let me keep 11m, though).

Playing with Braga, Vitinha scored 20 goals in the first half of the season. He was only on something like 3k/week. I tried to renew, but he refused, because he was "aware of the interest being shown in him". Also irritated that I lost long-time Chelsea stalwart Lucas Piazon to Palmeiras, but thankfully was able to hang on to the Horta brothers.

Things are still looking good, though. Found a striker in Brazil that I plowed all the Vitinha money into, and he's got 3 in his first two games. I did something new (for me) to find him - I started searching for Vitinha's replacement by looking at stats first. I used a view with goals, xG, minutes/goal, and at least 10+ starts as the only columns, and he was always in the top two results no matter which column I sorted by. I think I'm going to try the same thing for my AMR (inverted winger - support). I'm having a lot of success with first Piazon, then Iuri Medeiros cutting in and finding either the AF or the IF-A on the other side making a run. Second in the league behind Benfica, and have Napoli in the First Knockout Round of the Europa League.

I think if I had a really good BBM, I could do a lot better, but the ones that would be an upgrade are too expensive, as would a better backup for my starter.

I have switched to a 4-1-2-3 like sebzilla a couple of times since going with the 4-2-3-1, but only when there are 2 strikers + an AMC.

On another rambling note, I've noticed that IWs are a lot better in FM22 than last year. They actually look to cut inside first, which is not what I saw in FM21. Weirdly enough, I keep seeing players in the Anchorman and DM-D position pushing up way too high, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

In FM the high press 4-2-3-1 is the "forever formation" because it's naturally very effective against any AI team that feels they are inferior to you. "Defensive" AI tactics sit players deep and progress patiently, so having bodies in the opposition half just flat out works. No amount of stamina tweaking will end the dominance of gegenpressing as where irl teams will try to play fast to beat the press, underdog sides in FM end up playing like Barcelona if allowed time to build out from the back.

I always have much more early save success playing a different formation. A 4-4-1-1 will give better results than a 4-2-3-1 against sides that think they will beat you for no other reason than you have better cover against rampaging fullbacks ("attacking" AI tactics play wider and make more forward runs). But eventually any good save is going to have to transition to a full court press as Plan A to continue overperforming.

In FM22 wingback formations are really bad defensively. If you're a superstar team then teams won't exploit those criminal gaps in wide areas but for everyone else it's not a sound option, which again draws players back to 4-2-3-1-like formations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've had success with 4-2-2-2(AM) and 4-2-2-2(DM) in this save; the AM variant when I'm demolishing domestic teams and the DM variant usually when I'm in Europe against a good team.

With the DM variant, I tend to go with Mezzalas on Attack. With the AM variant, I go with Carrileros.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
It's mid-season in the League of Ireland in 2026. I've finally managed to get Cork City a decent European run, all the way to the Champions League qualifying playoffs, where we went out 5-3 (agg) against Shaktar, but netted a cool €5m for it. Also, we qualified for Europa League because of how far we got, which is another €4m. We were €2m in the hole after my previous years of attempts at a European run, so we should finish the season, taking into account increased costs, about €5m up. The costs also include improving our training ground which was all the way down to 1 1/2 star rating because it hadn't been touched in decades. Hopefully the board will agree to a few improvements in a row.

Now, that hard part really starts. I'm playing this save where I don't try and cheese anything but with €5m in the bank (roughly) it means we should be looking to find some wonderkid level talent. The problem is my team is so relatively shite compared to European level teams that a 5* potential player might make the grade in the English Championship at peak, if we're lucky. Most like they'll be decent at English League One level. This is a problem I've come across in previous saves where the potential ratings all max out for anyone with even an inch of talent, even if I get an 18 JPA scout on them (something I don't have in this save.)

So I'm at a bit of a loss. I could go scout the Eastern European u18s and u21 national teams, but that feels a little broken in the game based on what I've done previously even if it's somewhat realistic. My board won't increase my scout-wage-budget so I won't be signing high JPA scouts above maybe 14/14 or 14/15 overall. And this is my "take it seriously save" to see if I really have the mettle. I guess I really need to bank on improving our training grounds then hope to loan in some good young candidates with reasonable optional buy clauses on them and go from there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The way to get the money to improve the facilities to develop better players to attract better players to win more prize money to improve the facilities to develop better players to attract better players to win more prize money to improve the facilities

The way to do that is to get into the Champions League group stages. If you're good enough to make the Playoffs, you should be able to push through next season with 3-5 new players. Honestly, I'd be looking at U21/U19 teams around Europe - not just Eastern Europe; sometimes decent players come through at small Western/Central European teams and don't get signed immediately. Alongside that, if you're not already, start making lists of players whose contracts are expiring because with a bit of luck you can sign some remarkably good players on affordable wages if they're desperate for game time. And don't limit yourself to young players here; - big teams aggressively target talented youngsters for end of contract, but anything 21/22 and over should be fair game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just be good at tactics and cut out the middle man by winning things with your poo poo players.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I lost out on a player because he signed for a team that just got relegated to the division we just got promoted out of.
So he's now going to play for Alverca in the Portuguese 3rd Division, on an eye-watering £8.75k p/w. That's probably more than most clubs at that level pay their entire squad.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Haven't played FM in years but I got the itch. Is it possible to mod FM or is there an inbuilt feature now to make your own custom league, like a super league or anything similar?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Which version? I'm still playing 2021 and have a good super league mod:
https://www.fmscout.com/a-world-super-league-fm21-update.html

Looks like a 22 version here:
https://www.fmscout.com/a-world-super-league-fm22.html

PL is the top 20 teams and below that leagues are split into tiers.

It's a bit slow after 6 seasons or so, but it's good fun.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm upgrading Cork's training grounds for the second time now. €2.5m. Oof! Now I'm broke again and need another European performance.

I'm not too sure FM manages summer leagues that well, though. We've never been able to find a senior affiliate, and I think the summer league plays a part in that. Similarly, the notification for the training grounds upgrade said it'd be done at the end of the season, except what the game considers the end of the season is right in the middle of the summer. So when most leagues are off but right in the middle of mine. We'll be training out of shipping containers for a while.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 27, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Forest Green Rovers are champions of Europe thanks to a winning goal from old man Bruno Fernandes who I picked up on a free and is my only player over 30. Stupidly tough run too, finished first in our group ahead of Leverkusen and Juventus, then beat Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona and Man City.

The semi against Barcelona was great, won 1-0 at home with our shortarse keeper playing out of his skin and then somehow went 2-0 up at the Nou Camp inside 15 minutes with a penalty and a 30-yard free kick that won goal of the tournament. The most relaxed 75 minutes of CL semi action you'll ever see, they did pull it back to 2-2 in injury time but we'd still have gone through on away goals even if they scored again.

Won the Carabao and FA cups too, only 3rd in the league after winning it last year but this team of kids are absolute monsters. Everyone wants massive contracts now though, after keeping my top earner below £100k/w for ages they're suddenly pushing £200k. Hopefully when we finally move into our own stadium that'll help pay for it all. Bristol City have seen some wild stuff in their groundshare for the past few years.

I love this game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sebzilla posted:

Forest Green Rovers are champions of Europe thanks to a winning goal from old man Bruno Fernandes who I picked up on a free and is my only player over 30. Stupidly tough run too, finished first in our group ahead of Leverkusen and Juventus, then beat Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona and Man City.

The semi against Barcelona was great, won 1-0 at home with our shortarse keeper playing out of his skin and then somehow went 2-0 up at the Nou Camp inside 15 minutes with a penalty and a 30-yard free kick that won goal of the tournament. The most relaxed 75 minutes of CL semi action you'll ever see, they did pull it back to 2-2 in injury time but we'd still have gone through on away goals even if they scored again.

Won the Carabao and FA cups too, only 3rd in the league after winning it last year but this team of kids are absolute monsters. Everyone wants massive contracts now though, after keeping my top earner below £100k/w for ages they're suddenly pushing £200k. Hopefully when we finally move into our own stadium that'll help pay for it all. Bristol City have seen some wild stuff in their groundshare for the past few years.

I love this game.

I like that at least a small club, revenue-wise I mean, can grow quite a bit. Out of the Park, which is the baseball equivalent of this game, is similar though one cannot build new stadiums or even expansions in that game. I've been following a playthrough of the Kansas City Royals, a notoriously small market team with limited resources, and due to continued success they've gone from the 28th highest budget (out of 30) to 15 in the space of 12 or so seasons, which includes two championships. In real life, that's essentially impossible because big teams have too much inherited privilege and market size over the rest.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah and it's also impossible for Port Vale to be in the Champions League in ten years but a video game has to make some allowances for players to do stuff like that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah and it's also impossible for Port Vale to be in the Champions League in ten years but a video game has to make some allowances for players to do stuff like that.

Exactly... Port Vale being in the CL isn't realistic, but neither is any of us being hired to head up operations for a football club at any level. Life isn't fun, games should be.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

"Impossible" is a strong word. It's certainly very, very unlikely. Leicester went from League One to the Champions League in seven years. Fulham went from the fourth tier to the Premier League in five years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I should have qualified that with "without a sugar daddy" obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I had an unfortunate CL draw. Got RB Salzburg in the qualifiers third round. Went 3-0 down at home before half time, gave them the silent treatment, pulled it back to 3-3 by the end of the match giving me hope for the away leg. That game I lost 4-2 to make it aggregate 7-5, a banger of a qualifying round but no €4m for me for reaching the playoff in what would have been an easy tie (Salzburg are destroying in their group stage.) I did qualify for the Europa League but it's just given me enough to support my wage budget.

This was the group I got... No fun. Got a player sent off in my first match against Mainz, losing what I should have drawn. Two players were injured against FB in the second match after I'd made all my subs, drawing what I should have won. Friendship with Europe over, now the league is my best friend. The main injury from that match is a bollocks too. Torn hamstring, out for three months for my standard bearing, long term MC. At least it's towards the end of the season. Separate to that my main GK is getting offers from teams not in Europe but in better leagues. Told him if we get €1.1m for him I'll sell him. We've had no offers for that amount but he keeps extending the time he'll allow for it.

Now it's a case of go through a season again, with just the budget to support my wages and hope for a decent draw in the CL. I'd say every other team I could have been drawn against I'd have a chance against but RB Salzburg are just too good. There won't be much improvements to my team next year, just hoping I can keep what I have intact. Also have to do something for the complacency. The team dominates in the domestic league so they just don't give a gently caress 2/3rds of the way through.

Pity their won't be any more upgrades to my setup. Although my long term ambition is getting closer, which was building a new stadium/expanding my stadium, something I've never done in FM. When I started in Division 1 we had an average attendance of about 2500 people, now it's at 4500 with a few sellouts at 7300ish. I don't know what attendance figures are needed to ask for an expansion but I can actually see it happening with this save. Some new graphics would be baller.