Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've fallen behind in my viewing, I usually leave a YouTube live stream on in the background, however, I feel confident in saying this.

SHODAI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Love Shodai's bizarre ozeki saga. We're witnessing the stuff of legends...

Speaking of bizarre -- Chris Sumo's latest video ends with him updating us on the "mood" of the crowd, which he reports as being rattled by shock and disappointment at things like wrestler pullouts and no longer being allowed to sit and eat inside the arena. He's also confused by the idea of isolating, since the wrestlers are all vaccinated. Sure wish there were other English-speaking people based in Japan willing and able to dedicate every waking hour to sumo-related stuff, because seeing stuff from alternate angles and hearing news/interview snippets is neat, but I don't think I can tolerate giving his channel more views at this point.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

News: Chris Gould is an idiot, but still knows some people in the sumo world

Views. Praise Be Lord Shodai.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thing about chris is his slight unhingedness is probably a condition for the job, I can't imagine the amount of sheer "go away" energy he plows through on a daily basis to do independent sumo reporting as a foreigner. Not to defend it at all, but if whining about covid restrictions is his vent it's probably getting off light

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is that the guy whose laboured breathing is sometimes audible in some of his videos

edit: I'm probably thinking of jason

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It's weird because at the start of the pandemic he was in hard on the JSA for not being strict enough after Shobushi's death. He seems more like an "everything the JSA does is wrong, all the conspiracies are real" type crazy to me. Like I get the feeling he'd be railing on them for not taking a leadership role in society if they followed the gov guidelines and lifted restrictions.

But I just ignore everything from him that isn't straight up dudes fighting.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

But I just ignore everything from him that isn't straight up dudes fighting.

You're not wrong, exactly, but I find I can get dudes fighting from NHK, nattosumo, or even the MidnightSumo twitch chat. I actually highly recommend the latter. It's a relatively small community and not toxic like every other twitch stream I've seen, and the person who runs it writes up bios for all of the lower ranked rikishi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, midnightsumo chat is awesome. Just the right balance of respect and irreverence for sumo for me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The feel I get from Chris Sumo's videos is that he's using the COVID situation to comment on how wrongly the JSA handles having to improvise rules where they don't exist. Like I don't think he's anti-vaxx or thinks COVID is just going to go away. He's questioning things like "if they're only testing symptomatic wrestlers then why are so many testing positive unpromted?".

Sure I don't agree with the things he says and it does make me a bit uncomfortable but it's not straight up misinformation or anti-vaxx sentiment. He just sounds weary of the whole situation.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There was a video I watched a couple weeks ago where he was whining about masking in general so I think he's more towards 'just stop bothering and let 'er rip' than not.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

anakha posted:

Yeah, midnightsumo chat is awesome. Just the right balance of respect and irreverence for sumo for me.

someone in the midnightsumo chat with the handle GayestSatan rates all the sumo wrestlers by how hot they are and how fat their asses are

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

KungFu Grip posted:

someone in the midnightsumo chat with the handle GayestSatan rates all the sumo wrestlers by how hot they are and how fat their asses are

I'd like to see that banzuke.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

KungFu Grip posted:

Chat runs on horny.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I'd like to see that banzuke.

This is in the OP but I guess it could use an update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ieFiAtj7A

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i am so upset with Tochinoshin's latest match

oh well!!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

This is in the OP but I guess it could use an update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ieFiAtj7A

I don't believe that has any ratings of thiccness. Or muchi-muchi, which is apparently the equivalent in Japanese.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

anakha posted:

I had to watch their videos for the first week and loved the rikishi-retrospective slideshows, old candy commercial blocks, sound effects (bowling ball getting a strike when a rikishi knocks over a shimpan, TPiR sad trombone for a too-quick loss), and musical snippets ("The Gambler" for Hidenoumi, the Jeopardy! tune for a mono-ii, Brazilian rap for Kaisei).

But holy poo poo did I miss being able to watch just the highlights. The amount of time spent just standing/loving around on that dohyo between bouts was painful, even being able to skip through it 30 seconds at a time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

verbal enema posted:

i am so upset with Tochinoshin's latest match

oh well!!

Same.

I get it, guy's desperate being 3:7 10 days in, but frankly that was not in the spirit of good sumo.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Liquid Communism posted:

Same.

I get it, guy's desperate being 3:7 10 days in, but frankly that was not in the spirit of good sumo.

In the replay you can see him track Terutsuyohsi around but he clearly knows his knee wouldn't survive trying to recover it so just takes the L :smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kotouh oh

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 20, 2022

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Shodai is the smartest man in sumo. Got that ozeki paycheck, only has to work every other basho, doesn’t do anything that could get him injured. He’s in it to stack paper for the long haul.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Aw, gently caress.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Congrats to everyone getting hosed by covid this basho!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Day 15 will consist of a dozen kyujo announcements and Shodai picking up his 8th win.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
shodai is going to get yusho by default at this rate

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

shodai is going to get yusho by default at this rate

And I will celebrate it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
All of these guys popping hot this late means every single person is getting exposed and they're getting infected at the basho

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dammit, giant baby was looking really good this basho too. I can’t remember if a late kyujo gets me a trade or not. If it does, I’d like to trade Kotonowaka for Ichinojo.

If it doesn’t, well, that’s the bad thing I was expecting to knock me off course.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I haven't been hit by a COVID withdrawal yet, my team just sucks (except for Teru)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

It's thanks to GayestSatan that I've discovered that Terunofuji has negative rear end.

FFS.

Kenning, do the Week 2 kyujo rules (no trading) apply in this scenario?

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 20, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Official Fantasy rule: Kyujo auto-trading

In the event of a kyujo, the following auto-trading rules are in place:

Week 1 - Days 1-7 (trading open):

If a wrestler goes kyujo

1) Any player with that wrestler can request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement, which will be registered for the next day as a normal trade.
2) Any player with that wrestler who does not request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement will get an auto-trade down their initial draft picks, registered for the day after the fusen loss.
3) Any player whose draft picks and wire position mean they cannot get an auto-replacement is boned until they request a specific alternative.
4) Any player who does not wish to make an auto-trade must request so before the auto-trade is made.
5) Any trades (normal or auto-) still result in losing position in the draft wire.
6) In the event of multiple simultaneous kyujo on a single day on a single team, auto-trades will be processed on subsequent days for ranks in descending order, unless otherwise requested by the player.

Week 2 - Days 8-15 (trading closed):

If a wrestler goes kyujo, same as above except

1) Any player with that wrestler can request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement, which will be registered for the day after the fusen loss, since trading is officially closed.

This rule is a formalization of the rule we developed in Aki 2021, and will be added to the official Fantasy rules going forward. The goal of this rule is to make it so that people who suffer a kyujo can still have a reasonable team, while still suffering a penalty if their guy goes kyujo after trading closes.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 20, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fuuuuuuuuuck me Kotonowaka was about to get his KK also :'(

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Dammit, giant baby was looking really good this basho too. I can’t remember if a late kyujo gets me a trade or not. If it does, I’d like to trade Kotonowaka for Ichinojo.

If it doesn’t, well, that’s the bad thing I was expecting to knock me off course.

You'll get him for Day 12, after eating a fusen loss, and everyone else with Kotonowaka (myself included) will similarly get a Day 12 new guy at M1-5.

anakha posted:

Kenning, do the Week 2 kyujo rules (no trading) apply in this scenario?

Please see my above post! I've clarified and finalized the procedure for this rule, which we developed in Aki 2021. I hate how much it's come into play this basho.

Day 10 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
38	Kenning
36.5	EveryonesFavoritePoster
35.5	jmzero
35	Charles Gnarwin
34	Eli949
34	Flinger
34	Marching Powder
34	NuclearPotato
33	Jobbo_Fett
33	Tochiazuma
32.5	Vargatron
32	GoatSeeGuy
32	MyChemicalImbalance
32	pseuodragon
32	whats for dinner
31.5	Thauros
30.5	Chinook
30.5	Ice Phisherman
30.5	scripterror
30	captainblastum
30	Firebatgyro
30	Pakled
29.5	Crusty Nutsack
29.5	Iron Chef Nex
29	anakha
29	Khizan
29	Netsky
29	Takuan
28.5	Tiny Bug Child
28	Neodoomium
28	Skjorte
28	Teddybear
26.5	sivad
25.5	Banana Canada
25.5	ullerm
25	Communist Thoughts
23	bartolimu
22	bessantj
20	Robviously
19	Lid
15.5	some kinda jackal
Juryo
code:
37	Maigius
35	Akiosan
35	Fluffdaddy
33	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
32.5	Mode 7
32	Boogalo
30	Helianthus Annuus
29	Dead Goon
29	QuasiQuack
28.5	LlamaTrauma
28	Liquid Communism
27.5	Saturnine Aberrance
27	KungfuGrip
27	ratmosphere
26.5	Kuros
26.5	Xerzes
25.5	Gaghskull
24.5	MalarkeyToboggan
24.5	rare Magic card l00k
23.5	Scythe
22.5	Lexorin
22.5	Log082
21	Brut
19	ilmucche
11	Shiroc

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lol that I lost a point while kyujo due to the weakness of my former team.

The sumo merch everyone in this thread wants
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1549582616344506368?s=21&t=8fNJm8zAdr1C6ptlxnzEJg

Desk Shodai to remind you to only do the work you're paid for

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was big anti-Shodai since like 2017 when he was mastering the art of the "stand up and look confused" tachiai, but I like hilarious trolls more than I dislike hapless weirdos who wander into the Kokugikan and start wrestling, so I think I've become a grudging Shodai fan.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

:negative:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

Week 2 - Days 8-15 (trading closed):

If a wrestler goes kyujo, same as above except

1) Any player with that wrestler can request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement, which will be registered for the day after the fusen loss, since trading is officially closed.

I think week 2 trades should be restricted to only the wrestlers in your initial draft pick, assuming any are available, because that would base the pick on your initial judgment
and it prevents you from using the kyujo to pick up somebody you didn't go for who's on an unexpected hot streak or similar.

That said, I'd like to trade Kotoshoho for either Midorifuji(first choice) or Onosho(second choice), who were my other draft picks.

Kenning posted:

I was big anti-Shodai since like 2017 when he was mastering the art of the "stand up and look confused" tachiai, but I like hilarious trolls more than I dislike hapless weirdos who wander into the Kokugikan and start wrestling, so I think I've become a grudging Shodai fan.

I love the way his ability to Mr Magoo himself out of kadoban seems to infuriate the old men of sumo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

It's thanks to GayestSatan that I've discovered that Terunofuji has negative rear end.

Yeah, Teru's rear end is pretty mournful.

Now Harumafuji - there was an rear end worthy of a horizontal rope.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dear god, MidnightSumo's chat is hilarious. They were racking up some good jabs at Ryuden during his Juryo match.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Day 8 Standings
Juryo

19 ilmucche

Day 9 standings
Juryo

19 ilmucche

Day 10 standings:
Juryo

19 ilmucche

I have a wrestler kyujo and he scored as many points as the rest of my stable two days in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Terunofuji vs Hoshoryu, holy poo poo. What a great match.

Also: SHODAI.