Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

teen witch posted:

New addition to “nuke a song from existence”: you may also now elect a song to be a national anthem

- for your country of origin (have more than one? Congrats you have both but don’t go overboard)
- you can’t nominate it for other countries, eliminating my Van Halen’s Panama for Panama suggestion
- no regional anthems: Neil Diamond is banned within the commonwealth of Massachusetts and I will extend that to southern NH and RI if need be

nuke: Love Shack

New anthem: Nutbush City Limits, forcing every sports team to do the Nutbush as a pre game warm-up :australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Crawling by Linkin Park.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Just one? Adele committed more atrocities than that.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Hey Jude

I hate it so much

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

limp_cheese posted:

That "I'm proud to be an American" song. I thought that song was dead and gone but I learned the hard way it isn't in my personal life and it was a popular song during Trump rallies and speeches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbHHQtnklg

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

'Christmas Wrapping' by the Waitresses , for anyone who's ever worked retail over the holidays

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That song they used to play for some boner commercial,

do do do, dodo, do DO DO repeated ad nauseum with everyone plastered with a creepy rear end smile.

I'd dive for the fuckin remote, it still haunts me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

'Christmas Wrapping' by the Waitresses , for anyone who's ever worked retail over the holidays

I can't even imagine the ptsd people that did that for years must have

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I’d remove that U2 album from everyone’s iPhones.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Seasons In The Sun.

I have heard a lot of lovely songs over the years, but gently caress the Universe for wanting a 8 year old child to become deeply depressed over a *song*. And a really, really crappy song at that. There is no earthly reason for that song to exist AT ALL.

I petition Reality for that song to be wiped from all human memory, on the grounds that I suspect its removal would usher in a Utopia where flying cars actually exist.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
All of the songs mentioned so far are my favourite. especially the christmas ones. I'm listening to them now, all at once

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bobcats posted:

I’d remove that U2 album from everyone’s iPhones.

I like how pissed off Bono got when everyone complained about getting an album nobody asked for

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hammerite posted:

All of the songs mentioned so far are my favourite. especially the christmas ones. I'm listening to them now, all at once

will never get the hatred of Last Christmas

my mum's a huge George Michael fan which might be why I don't hate it, but as far as overplayed Christmas songs go it's nowhere near the worst.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

God that song loving sucks, but mostly I just want to delete the features that let people pick default music for tiktoks and such. You need to have the song to use it, otherwise gently caress you.

As for national anthem for the US, I'm gonna go with Necropedophile, by Cannibal Corpse

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

mudskipp posted:

Hey Jude

I hate it so much

Great pick. Grew up with The Beatles, hate that loving song. Wilson Pickett does an amazing job with it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8Q2PATVyI

This is hereby Beatles canon to me.

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

Skratte posted:

I'm deleting who let the dogs out. I never want to hear it again. I guess it's not so much a problem anymore but I could not avoid it in the 2000s.

I concur.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Nuke: What's up? By 4 nom-blondes

New anthem: Flagpole Sitta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I'd do mankind the ultimate favor and make sure no one ever hears Nickelback's "Photograph" again.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Pac and Cheese posted:

there's no need to guess, nobody enjoyed the sappy part of their high school grad slideshow

i'd have to say mad world gary jules and matilda agrees https://www.avclub.com/mara-wilson-on-the-sickness-induced-reason-she-hates-ga-1798273978 the tears for fears version can stay

i went to catholic school and after our like last "first friday mass", when we're sitting in the church, up the street from the school, mike gunzelman pops up somewhere and says that he wants to play a song and he has his acoustic guitar and he starts playing time of your life by green day and he had to stop after a few seconds because a lot of people like me were booing in church and the teachers got mad

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Linux Pirate posted:

This.

Also Mad World.

the original is a bit cool though?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Aaron Lewis- Am I the Only One

Close thread

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZvPSpLxCg

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That's a real toss-up between Satellite by Dave Matthews or Money for Nothing by Dire Straights. For decades, either of those gets my car stereo open-palm slapped within the first three notes. I guess Money for Nothing because although I don't listen to radio much, it still gets airplay locally whereas none of the stations I listen to play DMB.

Runners up would be any of the "stomp-clap-stomp-clap"-folk-rock of the 2010's. Any song, doesn't matter.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
That one song that goes "Makin my way downtown. . ." God gently caress that song forever

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Kirk Vikernes posted:

That's a real toss-up between Satellite by Dave Matthews or Money for Nothing by Dire Straights. For decades, either of those gets my car stereo open-palm slapped within the first three notes. I guess Money for Nothing because although I don't listen to radio much, it still gets airplay locally whereas none of the stations I listen to play DMB.

Runners up would be any of the "stomp-clap-stomp-clap"-folk-rock of the 2010's. Any song, doesn't matter.

*stomp* *clap* "HEY!"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fty29zmxndo

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
As much as I'd like to eliminate these:

- A few Christmas songs - At least they only get played during the Holiday so I can deal with most of them. I never worked retail but I can understand those that worked retail and hate certain songs because of overexposure. Christmas Shoes is barely played anymore during the Holiday season at least.
- Some songs created just to sell products like vitamin water and tampons. I'm looking at you Baba O'Reilly, Feel It Still, and Believer

I can only choose one, eh?

Gonna have to go with Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2022

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

hotel california

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Beck’s “Loser”

Easily the top 10 worst songs ever written. Just fuckin trash, every single word & note. Not a single redeeming quality and I hope Beck chokes every time he sings it. Absolute fuckin garbage song I hate it so much.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

MassiveSky posted:

Just one? Adele committed more atrocities than that.

"Rumor Has It" is an abomination.

Astrochicken posted:

Uuuuuuuugh I hate it so much, despite never having worked retail over the holidays

PureEvil6_13 posted:

That one song that goes "Makin my way downtown. . ." God gently caress that song forever

As far as Vanessa Carlton goes, "Ordinary Day" is worse, "Big Yellow Taxi" is worser.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Nuke: What's up? By 4 nom-blondes

New anthem: Flagpole Sitta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

I love this song b/c of how all the people who love it so much and identify with it completely miss the point of the song and don't realize it's making fun of the kind of people the song is about

e: relevant good read:
https://www.stereogum.com/1954631/flagpole-sitta-at-20-a-conversation-with-harvey-dangers-sean-nelson/interviews/tracking-down/

"The thing that makes me most comfortable about the fact that “Flagpole Sitta” has stuck around is that it is really conscious of the fact it is a piece of garbage in the same way that everything in pop culture is a piece of garbage. I don’t mean to say our song that we wrote in our practice space in 1996 is a piece of garbage, because we loved it. We took what we did pretty seriously, maybe more seriously than we deserved to, but, like, once a thing is on the radio and on MTV, it’s a piece of garbage, because that’s how it is consumed."

"STEREOGUM: Was the title something you came up with in five seconds and just left it, or was there a joke to it?

NELSON: There was definitely a joke to it. It was sort of about people wrestling with the idea of wanting to be authentic while both not being authentic and expressing themselves in a way that made authenticity sound idiotic. So I thought, what is a conspicuous example of a trend that once existed and exists no more?"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 20, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I guess Money for Nothing because although I don't listen to radio much, it still gets airplay locally whereas none of the stations I listen to play DMB.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what if you got rid of the abc's????

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I can't even imagine the ptsd people that did that for years must have

Nothing a little welbutrin and escitalopram can't handle!

The only other retail-overexposed song that i can't stand right now is 'Your Wildest Dreams' by Moody Blues it is so offensive in its blandness.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That "Oh no oh no oh no no no" song that's on a billion TikToks that my wife watches until I want to blow my loving brains out

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
All Sublime songs

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I'd delete "All I Want for Christmas is You" and then collect high fives from retail employees for the rest of my life.
Runner up is "Friends in Low Places".

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Best Day Of My Life by American Authors

This poo poo is the worst of the “woh oh oh oh” songs. It has only been around since 2014 but I would gladly suffer through six more decades of all the overplayed boomer music in this thread for a chance to nuke this one. I make this face when that poo poo comes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

As far as Vanessa Carlton goes, "Ordinary Day" is worse, "Big Yellow Taxi" is worser.

Big Yellow Taxi is a goddamn cover and I can’t even enjoy the OG, sorry Joni.

Is there a two guys pointing edit of this

Astrochicken posted:

The only other retail-overexposed song that i can't stand right now is 'Your Wildest Dreams' by Moody Blues it is so offensive in its blandness.

Hello retail veterans (we need a retail veterans and active servicemembers thread)

Kindly enjoy CVS Jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkoSu43FwJU