Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

John F Bennett posted:

Easy beard mode is an unkempt ugly beard. A good-looking beard that projects power and strength will take work.

I shave though because I have a very pretty face.

If by work you mean "wait a couple months and wash/condition it regularly, like any other bit of hair on your body", yep.

edit - a shameful snipe

ColdPie posted:

Doesn't Destiny and some other huge games do this, too?

Yes, and it's one of the biggest things bugging me about playing Destiny 2 lately. Still a fun game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ErrEff posted:

Might have something to do with it having a companion app that supports controlling the game remotely. The emulated mouse input would be one solution to accomodate that.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/as-dusk-falls-companion-app/id1573466903

Also has up to 8 player voting… but only local, doesn’t look like it can connect to online games, like if your friend is streaming it on their own? Local network only.

Oh wow, I didn't need or want ANY of those features. I'd rather be able to click through choices on my direction pad...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've been playing a few older games on and off this past few weeks, and I've had to correct some of my misconceptions. Until recently I've thought that gameplay and graphics had relatively limited improvements since the Xbox 360 and PS4 days.

My rose tinted glasses made me think that yeah, lighting and textures and resolution etc. got better over the Xbox One/PS4 generation but that games otherwise pretty much plateaued.

Playing Resident Evil 4 and Hitman: Blood Money has stripped me of this notion completely. It's a bit like death of a thousand cuts, but in reverse. RE4 feels pretty much unplayable to me due to its absolutely bonkers control scheme. Hitman Blood Money has aged a bit better in that regard but so many older games feel so awkward and just off to me.

And what the gently caress was with the brown colour scheme with these games back then? I feel like a dog, if their colour spectrum was in browns instead of greys.

Thinking about Hitman for instance, I'm sure the more recent trilogy and its graphics and level of detail, gameplay and number of NPCs must have been mind blowing coming from the previous gen stuff. Has anyone got chronological experience/memories of these games, or games like them?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Gonna throw a local multiplayer party to play the OEL visual novel starring the Netflix live action cast of YIIK

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gameplay advancements started to plateau in the middle of the 360 generation when Far Cry 3 and COD4 came out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have a lot of fond memories but yeah it's a far better time for games now than it was then, and that's not just "newer is better" or whatever. Japanese stuff was outright moribund and still in the weird period where they didn't know how to deal with the combination of mobile gaming and HD gaming, indies were still getting established and focused on a handful of auteur "genius" figures and people still thought Bioshock constituted good game writing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Old “prestige” games aren’t very fun to go back to but old arcady action games are as good as ever. It’s why the Saturn and Dreamcast feel more exciting to revisit compared to PS1 and N64

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PS1 is cool for having a lot of weird poo poo on it though you need a tolerance for janky PS1 JRPGs and racing games with old 3D graphics

honestly i think most prestige/AAA stuff is as mediocre as it was back then, it's just that there are so many options beyond that space now. i can't think of a better time where there's something out there no matter what your tastes are, be it weirdo puzzle games involving building computer-like constructions which make molecules, or lesbian visual novels or whatever

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Found a pretty decent price copy of the Xbox 360 driver SF, and there's still people playing online. Game is still good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

There's probably some Goldilocks Zone where graphics and gameplay do a Venn Diagram of perfection. Gears of War 1, Call of Duty 4, for example, both play so similarly to their successors that they're an easy enough switch, but their graphics have really aged. Old graphics don't really bother me, outdated controls do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ColdPie posted:

Doesn't Destiny and some other huge games do this, too?

Cyberpunk does.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

figures and people still thought Bioshock constituted good game writing.

Does it not? I've been playing the remastered version for about an hour and the voice acting is second to none. Gameplay has aged as covered but it's a really immersive game and I think still holds up now, though a lot of the hacking minigames should be drowned in a river.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember Bioshock feeling clunky even back then. Felt like Condemned

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hatty posted:

I remember Bioshock feeling clunky even back then. Felt like Condemned

The control scheme could absolutely do with a refresh, but it remains a seminal piece of work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's probably some Goldilocks Zone where graphics and gameplay do a Venn Diagram of perfection. Gears of War 1, Call of Duty 4, for example, both play so similarly to their successors that they're an easy enough switch, but their graphics have really aged. Old graphics don't really bother me, outdated controls do.

Idk if I'm just used to bad graphics but I think games like Gran Turismo 2 and Ridge Racer Type 4 look as good as they ever did, without any emulator enhancements.

not to mention how good the 16-bit sprite era aged

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
As usual heavily stylized things age very well, stuff like Mega Man Legends and Jumping Flash look much better than Goldeneye or Medal of Honor

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So is Dusk Falls interesting at all?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It might be but I’ll never know because the art direction is atrocious.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seltzer posted:

So is Dusk Falls interesting at all?

I played the first chapter. The controls aren't bad. It's kinda dour. Feels like whatever outcome you choose the protagonist is gonna kinda suck and be mopey. It's kinda interesting at the end of the chapter you can see what percentage of players picked what choices. I'll probably keep playing it but it seems like it's gonna be more mopey indie movie than 90s Tarantino, which is kinda what it looked like to me from the trailer.

I can be a mopey dad on a lovely road trip in the middle of the desert with my family and Joe Biden lookin dad in real life if I so wanted. Don't need Game Pass for that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does it not? I've been playing the remastered version for about an hour and the voice acting is second to none. Gameplay has aged as covered but it's a really immersive game and I think still holds up now, though a lot of the hacking minigames should be drowned in a river.

I think a lot of specific lines of dialogue are ok iirc, but the story is so clunky and ends so stupid that it doesn’t really matter how good individual lines are. My big takeaway from bioshock is they made a pretty cool setting that had good atmosphere, that’s about where it ends for me.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone try out Multiversus? The beta started today

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lammasu posted:

Anyone try out Multiversus? The beta started today

Yeah it's wack

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That being said I've never really liked any arena fighters outside of Smash 64 and melee when playing with 3 other people in the room so maybe don't listen to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah it’s definitely whack.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I thought whack was a good thing. I'm watching Pat play it and he's having a blast.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS1 and 2 were cool

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Just started yakuza 0, and while i do find it super engaging and a stand out in presentation, the cinematics go on forever. I know I'm only just getting into the mystery, just got past the request for release segment, I'm worried it's gonna keep up the pace of a brief moment of control before another 20 minute scene.

While Yakuza 0 is a fantastic game it does have two critiques for new series players, and you brought up one of them which is that you're a bit locked in at the beginning along a linear path with some particularly long cutscenes. You also don't get the benefit of recognizing the celebrities who are in it because you're presumably not watching Japanese-only crime films on Japanese TV.

The other critique is one you might hit soon, ironically once the game opens up. Basically the first main story quest involves you getting booze for a group of homeless people and the quest description/markers are a bit obtuse about what you need to do and you can get stuck. The short version is that you need to go to all four Poppo locations as well as Don Quixote, as each individual location is the one place that carries one of the specific requests. That said, you can also begin partaking in some amusing side quests at this point, and if you get through this quest then the game has the proper structure and pacing so you can do story quests for drama and side quests for comedy, and eventually get to business manager minigame where you and your pet chicken will proceed to make more money in 10 minutes than the real you will see in a lifetime, partly because this is a video game but mostly because the 80s Japanese economy was just that good when it came to printing money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My rose tinted glasses made me think that yeah, lighting and textures and resolution etc. got better over the Xbox One/PS4 generation but that games otherwise pretty much plateaued.

Playing Resident Evil 4 and Hitman: Blood Money has stripped me of this notion completely. It's a bit like death of a thousand cuts, but in reverse. RE4 feels pretty much unplayable to me due to its absolutely bonkers control scheme. Hitman Blood Money has aged a bit better in that regard but so many older games feel so awkward and just off to me.

RE4's insane controls make more sense when you realize it was a GameCube focused game as part of a Nintendo-Capcom marketing push, and originally a GameCube exclusive that got a surprise port to PS2.

Resident Evil games also had at that point an already rich history of controlling like poo poo, so that the slow moving zombies are a real threat as your character stumbles through animations and gets stuck on stuff.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

RE4's insane controls make more sense when you realize it was a GameCube focused game as part of a Nintendo-Capcom marketing push, and originally a GameCube exclusive that got a surprise port to PS2.

Resident Evil games also had at that point an already rich history of controlling like poo poo, so that the slow moving zombies are a real threat as your character stumbles through animations and gets stuck on stuff.

I still like the GC RE4 controls - the game is absolutely tuned around them, the idea of planting your feet and holding still to fire, with that decision loop of the zombies creeping toward you but you can't just back away from them, you have to decide when to stop firing and reposition giving you that extra kick of stress and fear.

The later variations that add strafing and walking backwards while aiming make it a more "normal" action game, and way easier, but lost that little bit of charming stress.

And the VR version holy poo poo that thing is such a breeze to play through just sprinting around like a goon firing off perfect headshots with no effort.

Fun as hell, but the first version went for a specific feel and totally nailed it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1549756152585637896?s=21&t=m5scpsNLuTto2iZmIEeExw

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Looks like it's time for me to get a decent headset finally, good news

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

loving FINALLY.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Any idea what that means?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lammasu posted:

Any idea what that means?

I did some research and it seems that Get ready to connect with your Discord friends and communities on Xbox! Discord Voice chat is coming to your Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles. You will be able to chat with anyone on Discord via voice channels or group calls directly from your console making it easy to connect with friends across mobile, Xbox, and PC. The update will start rolling out to Xbox Insiders today and will be available soon for everyone.

Streamlined audio experience
Today’s update enables a highly requested feature – Discord Voice on Xbox consoles allows you to talk with your friends and community while you play your favorite games. Planning a few rounds of multiplayer action in Halo Infinite with buddies on both console and PC? Exploring new biomes with your friends in Minecraft? See them already playing a game that supports cross-play? Connect to their voice channel and chat as you all play.

While you are playing on your console, you will be able to see who is in the call and speaking. You’ll also be able to adjust the sound, and switch between Discord Voice and Xbox game chat.

Discord Roster
Link your Discord account to your Xbox
To get started, open the guide by pressing the Xbox button on your console, then go to Parties & chats and click Try Discord Voice on Xbox. You’ll see an option to scan a QR code. The QR code will take you to the Discord and Xbox apps to connect and set up a two-way link between your Discord account and Xbox. If you’ve previously linked your Discord account to your Xbox, you will have to re-link. To link your Discord account you must be at least 13 years old and other parental controls may apply. Learn more in the Discord Xbox Connection article.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wake me up when I can stream gameplay directly from Xbox to Discord.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When is Babylons Fall dropping on Xbox, I'd like to play it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Babylons Fail many are calling it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

When is Babylons Fall dropping on Xbox, I'd like to play it.