Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What do people in rural areas do when you get rid of cars?

Same poo poo that people in rural areas did before there were cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Let’s be honest, “rural America” actually means bedroom communities where people commute an hour or more to their job.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

who cares, this isn't the rural areas thread lol

There are large swaths of the world that don't live in the city though. What happens to those people?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There are large swaths of the world that don't live in the city though. What happens to those people?

who cares, this isn't the rural areas thread lol

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You know that people lived outside of cities before the car, right? Just checking.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

@_@ but we're getting rid of all cars.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
can you go back to trying to be funny instead? thanks

Apr 7, 2003

People lived just fine in rural areas for thousands of years without cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What people miss is that rural communities used to have meaningful town centers that people lived and worked in. They were just rural because they were small and far from a larger city. Cars are what enabled everyone to go live down nowhere roads and commute an hour to work.

Apr 7, 2003

Reduced automobile use will hurt the "I picked up my city life and moved it two hours into the hills and import everything I need" crowd. Those people have only existed en masse since the 1930s.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What people miss is that rural communities used to have meaningful town centers that people lived and worked in. They were just rural because they were small and far from a larger city. Cars are what enabled everyone to go live down nowhere roads and commute an hour to work.

I don't know why it's so difficult for people to say something like this instead of smugly posting about how this is the city slicker thread.

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't know why it's so difficult for people to say something like this instead of smugly posting about how this is the city slicker thread.

because being smug is fun

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People lived just fine in rural areas for thousands of years without cars.

Yeah but we're not in the 800s anymore. A highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages. This will give people in some of the most remote parts of Bolivia access to things like a big hospital. Is this a project that should not be undertaken?

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah but we're not in the 800s anymore. A highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages. This will give people in some of the most remote parts of Bolivia access to things like a big hospital. Is this a project that should not be undertaken?

I don't think it's common for Bolivian villagers to commute four hours round trip to their job in La Paz every day.

Americans believe that doing this is their god-given right and that the government should subsidize that right no matter the cost.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you all see this?

its hosed up
Looks like some strange form of pedicab

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Who gives a poo poo about America. Is this thread about America or is it about what cars do infrastructure in general?

Apr 7, 2003

I don't think anyone's mad about hospitals being built in remote Bolivia, I think they're mad about car culture killing people and destroying the planet. You're making a guy up to argue at him.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I googled him too and I'm not sure if I have the right one

Sorry, Ed.D. is a fake degree I refuse to call him anything other than Mister gay hitler

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Who gives a poo poo about America. Is this thread about America or is it about what cars do infrastructure in general?
You are saying that people can only post generalities without giving specific examples for individual countries? Are you an idiot? (that last one is a rhetorical question)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

can you go back to trying to be funny instead? thanks

please

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AIT you can either poo poo up this thread constantly or have a serious argument about the future of automobiles in modern society in it. You can't have both, pick one.

Apr 7, 2003

Despite the fact that the American system of remote country estates for white people has only been a thing for seventy years or so, people are absolutely going to bankrupt themselves trying to keep that lifestyle going and I think that's insanely funny.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You know busses (which are good) also use roads right smart guy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the "hmm, ahh, curious - but have you considered?" bit sucks in D&D and it's even worse here

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao "a highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages"

"Whom this access benefits and the ultimate direction of the flow of ROI on this project will not be discussed, but you are still bad for questioning it."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

IAMKOREA posted:

You know busses (which are good) also use roads right smart guy

no what are those

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

AIT you can either poo poo up this thread constantly or have a serious argument about the future of automobiles in modern society in it. You can't have both, pick one.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Car Hater posted:

Lmao "a highway is being constructed to give access to some of the most remote Bolivian villages"

"Whom this access benefits and the ultimate direction of the flow of ROI on this project will not be discussed, but you are still bad for questioning it."

Who does benefit from the road being built?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I will do both, thank you.

Apr 7, 2003

There are people on the news every day for months here now crying about how it costs so much to fill their trucks that they can't buy potato chips anymore. It's awesome, I love it, it makes me happy to see these people suffer and I have zero moral compunctions about laughing at them.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Who does benefit from the road being built?

CARS, YOU FOOL!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Bolivia is marked for death in order to maintain the illusion that we can substitute BEV's for ICE cars

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

There are people on the news every day for months here now crying about how it costs so much to fill their trucks that they can't buy potato chips anymore. It's awesome, I love it, it makes me happy to see these people suffer and I have zero moral compunctions about laughing at them.

Hell, same.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

but what of the remote bolivian villagers? won't someone think of them next time you laugh at a perfectly circular american wheezing as he climbs into the cab of a 10,000 lb truck to drive one hour to buy a gallon of soda

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Destroy all cars worldwide.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Please post them so I don't have to read this dumb rear end malarkey about highways in bolivia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Car Hater posted:

CARS, YOU FOOL!

People in the 3rd world already subsidize everything you do though. :dafuq:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://gothamist.com/news/traffic-deaths-disproportionately-impacting-the-bronx-report

Doing anything about this would be gentrification.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my dream for my son is that he never needs to learn how to drive. that will also be my dream for my daughter but first she has to be born later this year inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

but what of the remote bolivian villagers? won't someone think of them next time you laugh at a perfectly circular american wheezing as he climbs into the cab of a 10,000 lb truck to drive one hour to buy a gallon of soda

We're not talking about America though. Should cars be banned in other countries as well? Do you think they should be banned before these countries get the ability to industrialize?