Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GunnerJ posted:

The Ssaelit really need a better missionary game, tbh.
What, "YOUR GODS ARE DEAD" not doing it for ya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I mean Christianity did pretty well dunking on peoples' gods left and right even before being in charge of an empire. Ssaelit meanwhile are all "noo we have to play the long game and lose battles in ways we can't take all the blame for..." :sad:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GunnerJ posted:

I mean Christianity did pretty well dunking on peoples' gods left and right even before being in charge of an empire. Ssaelit meanwhile are all "noo we have to play the long game and lose battles in ways we can't take all the blame for..." :sad:

Ehhh Christianity tried to be low key syncretic in its infancy which is why you see things like Saint Bridget happen, or the apotheosis for that matter.

It definitely did not proselytize by being antagonistic in the way that Ssaelit are. That sort of proselytizing only happens from a position of strength and/or hegemony.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 11, 2022

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Are the Gefendur and Ssaelit even allowed to convert to the other in Alderode?

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Staltran posted:

Are the Gefendur and Ssaelit even allowed to convert to the other in Alderode?

I'm assuming the answer is "On paper, yes. In practice, you're extremely lucky if they kill you quick"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Agaragon posted:

I'm assuming the answer is "On paper, yes. In practice, you're extremely lucky if they kill you quick"

Pretty close I think, yeah. Since I believe you either live in one of the neighborhood extended family style ghers communities that you are typically either born or marry into, or you live in the slums, I don't know if you would be executed but it would likely be a huge downward quality of life move unless you are already at the bottom. Also giving up your friends, family, etc. I think the official word is that while technically it's possible, you are going to have a real tough time doing it and then both sides are likely to distrust you, so it's really rare. Also part of why immigration isn't much of a thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

From what we've seen, the castes in Alderode seem to have cultivated the kind of communal living environment that makes conversion difficult. Although they tolerate one another (kinda, sorta, sometimes), the Gefendur and Ssaelit are mutually incompatible faiths, and one of the things that often defines communal living is a shared sense of spirituality. By converting to another religion, you're cutting yourself off from your family and friends, your social safety net, and possibly some other things: your job, your property. The Gefendur and Ssaelit might exist adjacent to each other, but they don't like living amongst each other. Anyone convicted or compelled by the teachings of Ssael who's not already living among the Ssaelit is gonna have to forfeit the social structures and most (if not all of) the relationships they've had their whole lives, and that ain't easy.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So it isn't really surprising the Ssaelit don't proselytize a lot. No reason to bother, really.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
We are dying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Prakhuta’s one of the only people left in this story who’s having a good time

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

From what we've seen, the castes in Alderode seem to have cultivated the kind of communal living environment that makes conversion difficult. Although they tolerate one another (kinda, sorta, sometimes), the Gefendur and Ssaelit are mutually incompatible faiths, and one of the things that often defines communal living is a shared sense of spirituality. By converting to another religion, you're cutting yourself off from your family and friends, your social safety net, and possibly some other things: your job, your property. The Gefendur and Ssaelit might exist adjacent to each other, but they don't like living amongst each other. Anyone convicted or compelled by the teachings of Ssael who's not already living among the Ssaelit is gonna have to forfeit the social structures and most (if not all of) the relationships they've had their whole lives, and that ain't easy.

That's pretty much what I was getting at as response to a few posts above, you phrased it better though. Often, I am more of stream of conscious about stuff I know and don't put it as eloquently, even though I usually try to edit and clear things up, sincere thanks!

Oxxidation posted:

Prakhuta’s one of the only people left in this story who’s having a good time

I totally get what you are saying but I think he is more of a "comfort in misery" kind of guy then really having a good time, which, I think is a running theme through many of the characters. Duane and Quigly are both top contenders for that, among others, with an extra helping of self-loathing.

Also, Ana isn't looking great, not that she has in a while.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Knock-Me-Down will bring Ana to her senses with the power of friendship

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Queen's dress is loving on point.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
She looks like she's tied a couple of hams to the back of her head though

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch17/ch17_09.html

Karl is still a jerk and doing his best to be more of one trying to move "up".

Chea (Emil and Esme Toma's daughter) seems to have all the peaceguard badges her dad sent back to her as her festival costume, which is pretty cute, but sort of sad since her mom and new "dad" don't seem to care about her much.

The big forcefield protecting the inner city having a central control room sounds very (I hate saying it, but the term works here) Chekov's Gun implication.

I do like the side-by-side chair rail transports they are riding on for the city tour, reminds me of the old "people movers" at Disney Land from long ago, albeit with a different but similar style and purpose.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We're gonna find out if F.R.E.D. can slow down the silver at some point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
whatever else might happen, let us take solace that Karl Toma will absolutely perish in this chapter

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

whatever else might happen, let us take solace that Karl Toma will absolutely perish in this chapter

Fingers crossed.

Also, any good F.R.E.D. acronym ideas from anyone?

Going with Forcefield Reliant's Eventual Destruction off the top of my head.

Just like the old funny 3 wheeled Reliant cars, the forcefield is too small and questionably designed. :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Funky Reality Enthusiasm Diode

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Force Repelling Etheric Device

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
So... going to tunnel up from the ground then.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

It's not safe to die.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Know what they give cannibals late to the twin feast?

The cold shoulder! :haw:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nah, he's the type of rear end in a top hat who will somehow survive and worse, come out better than he was going in.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I can't be bothered to care about what happens to Karl. At this point I would much rather have Chea be somewhere safe and far away from both these horrible people. I am aware that there are even worse people around every single narrative corner, but a bunch of them are gonna die this chapter sooooooo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No, Karl will die. I believe in Ashley.

Then Emil will save his daughter and he and her and Elka will go on to be a family.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chea is going to meet Starfish.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Starfish only has eyes for Sette.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Only eyes, cause she stabbed him in the dick.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pantoffel saves the day... for one person.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Time to get this party started.

wait no i should save that line for later in the chapter, poo poo

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's nice to see the gang all working in the same direction at the same time.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Knock-Me-Down is going to point to every horrible monstrosity in this chapter and go "Anadyne?!" until she is correct, which shows that she's been paying attention to how the world around her has been doing lately.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Every chapter I make a mental dead pool but I always forget Pantoffel. She's a good girl who deserves good things :cry:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Every chapter I make a mental dead pool but I always forget Pantoffel. She's a good girl who deserves good things :cry:

I can't find it, I think it was on the tumblr Q&A which I have no clue how to search through other then manually scrolling (or if there even is a way to, not to my knowledge), but I think I remember Asley, the well-known dog lover, saying that Pantoffel is one of the only characters with immunity. I might be completely misremembering, and Ashley has changed her mind before, but I think I remember reading that and either way I want it to be true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pointy stick, motherfuckers.

Does rather seem like the climactic chapter. How much silver could there be, though? I kinda assumed the fishthing had a negligible amount propelling it because Ana is busy.

how much silver

DrSnakeLaser posted:

probably a lot of mailmen this chapter

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 3, 2022

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Remind me, by what mechanism does this katamari ball of negative emotions function? Is it like, a core of first silver that’s somehow been enchanted?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

Remind me, by what mechanism does this katamari ball of negative emotions function? Is it like, a core of first silver that’s somehow been enchanted?

The design of the primary silver weapon is simple in principle: get a whole lot of first silver together, make a khert portal like the one in Delicieu's lab, encase it in first silver so the universal khert can't see what's inside, and coax a whole lot of pain ghosts into this new sanctuary. Once you have enough of then they can use the sheltered interior first silver khert to dick around with reality to some degree. Remember Cutter's delicious meat fruits, or the silvers general mutability.

One assumes that the fishbeast is an offshoot using similar principles, except getting its ghosts from Ana and/or ambient smoke eels (and people it eats, of course) rather than having its own portal.

e: ditto blobdog, for less resource investment

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

an interesting question in the comments is, does the first silver mesh donated to the various minions retain its evil will after they're dismantled so it can reconstitute them given enough ghosts and meat and/or return to Ana? i feel like the answer is probably yes, it's difficult and obnoxious to un-haunt a first material (unless you're Boo counter-haunting it with happy ghosts, and incidentally, Boo is literally a tiny good version of a silverbeast)

e: hotdamn someone asked ash on the tumblr

quote:

Maybe the Silver returns to the Queen when the minions are defeated… maybe that could be exploited…

double e: let's combine the two together and have Boo take over the minion bits with happy, curious ghosts so that when they return to Ana the incompatibility crashes the silver weapon

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 4, 2022