Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

change my name posted:

They were like level 20 by the end of Balance, Griffin power leveled them. It’s why Magnus got so many attacks

oh drat i guess i forgot about late balance combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Amber rules

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
God this sucked

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Have really enjoyed Ethersea but this last arc has felt weird and off.

Pretty certain all this is happening so they can roll new characters because these ones got too big too fast and can't work together.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

for characters that were just supposed to be mostly normal people in the setting it did kinda feel weird that devo's origin was so tied into one of the main, most powerful factions. it'd be like if in a modern setting game one of the characters was the estranged (though only really one way, the president still loves her a lot) daughter of the us president

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“listen, Travis, you can be the badass antihero Han Solo character with the abrasive personality covering up a heart of gold who is also a Chosen One character of Great Power with a Secret Backstory Central To The Ultimate Plot or you can be the queer woman of color but you can’t be both this time it’s not fair to everyone else”

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was about to say he wasn't the chosen one character in Graduation, but then I remembered why that is

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

geri_khan posted:

Have really enjoyed Ethersea but this last arc has felt weird and off.

Pretty certain all this is happening so they can roll new characters because these ones got too big too fast and can't work together.

To be fair, Zoux and Amber can work together great. Devo is just a stupid rear end in a top hat and should have been the one flung into a portal.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Who What Now posted:

To be fair, Zoux and Amber can work together great. Devo is just a stupid rear end in a top hat and should have been the one flung into a portal.

Yeah his entire character arc was "petulant child" from the get-go and nothing appears to have changed

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't think Travis even realized the extent to which he character was just the worst. It felt like he either had knowledge we didn't (that didn't pay off) about the church or that he wanted them to be more abusive than they were and Griffin didn't agree.

Every interaction Devo had with a character there was them being nice and agreeable while he yelled back at them like a moody teenager. Seemed like he was built to be a persuasive character that can solve stuff without combat but that doesn't work when you're an abrasive rear end in a top hat and I'm not sure he understood that for awhile.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I could be misremembering, but if Travis was playing the bard subclass I thought he was then he had this ability the whole time and didn’t(?) use it. Was waiting for it like all season.

Words of Terror
At 3rd level, you learn to infuse innocent-seeming words with an insidious magic that can inspire terror.

If you speak to a humanoid alone for at least 1 minute, you can attempt to seed paranoia in its mind. At the end of the conversation, the target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of you or another creature of your choice. The target is frightened in this way for 1 hour, until it is attacked or damaged, or until it witnesses its allies being attacked or damaged.

If the target succeeds on its saving throw, the target has no hint that you tried to frighten it.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sankis posted:

I don't think Travis even realized the extent to which he character was just the worst.

you don't say

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sankis posted:

I don't think Travis even realized the extent to which he character was just the worst. It felt like he either had knowledge we didn't (that didn't pay off) about the church or that he wanted them to be more abusive than they were and Griffin didn't agree.

Every interaction Devo had with a character there was them being nice and agreeable while he yelled back at them like a moody teenager. Seemed like he was built to be a persuasive character that can solve stuff without combat but that doesn't work when you're an abrasive rear end in a top hat and I'm not sure he understood that for awhile.

Devo seems like a typical anti-religion Internet Person to me. Maybe that's what Travis was going for?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sankis posted:

I don't think Travis even realized the extent to which he character was just the worst.

You can say the same thing about Ethersea, Amnesty, Graduation, MBMBAM and real life

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Devo and Amber drinking and bickering until it's revealed that Zooks was a shared fiction they promised never to reveal to anyone else

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In the TTAZZ for this season Travis mentioned trying to play Devo as dislikable, and mission accomplished I guess! I hope next episode is a solo Devo episode since Amber and Zoox are out of the picture :evilbuddy:

Also does everything with Amber becoming the avatar(?) of Koda'a nemesis god feel a little too convenient? It seemed like it was being telegraphed way ahead of the random encounter that set things on that path, but maybe I'm getting my order of events wrong.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
TAZ is not the only work of fiction with this issue, but I'd really like it if "raising the stakes" didn't always translate to "the stakes are at their highest."

People need to stop saving the goddang world imo

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, that's a good point and fantasy as a whole is plagued by it. Just saving the city can be enough, you don't need it to become a planes hopping adventure with a chosen one or whatever.

Also i feel like the blink sharks being from another world undercuts the setting a bit. The water being highly magical and mutating poo poo is a cool premise but it didn't feel like griffin did much with it outside of the first couple adventures.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Yeah TBH I was really enjoying the season when they were doing much less high-stakes missions. I was even starting to like Devo, and though he was regressing, I thought it was a step in heading toward an actual character arc... which I was apparently wrong about. Wish it had just been the friggin' murder mystery, the energy has just been all over the place in this arc.

I was also really hoping Zoox would side with the blink sharks a few episodes ago because that would have actually been interesting intra-party conflict, and, y'know, his whole connection to animals and preventing a sapient species from being wiped out, vs. questionably sentient zombie brinarr. But I'm also very much a shark-lover and apologist (plus I loved the way they talked) so I'm pretty biased. Also really didn't like Amber's choice but at least that made sense, she is selfish as gently caress so sure, dooming another world to avoid being subservient to Koda and keep having fun trying to wipe out a species (when there's no case to be made for protecting people in her world from them--much easier to do that in your own drat dimension) was worth it to her.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sankis posted:

The water being highly magical and mutating poo poo is a cool premise but it didn't feel like griffin did much with it outside of the first couple adventures.

Yeah, the sallow changing folks really didn't have much impact either.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i wish they would stop trying to be critical role bc i don't think the mcelroys do serious, grounded drama well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Combining "my character's specialty is persuasion and diplomacy" with "is also an rear end in a top hat that's wrong all the time" is a strange choice.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the whole rockport express arc from the first campaign was really in their wheelhouse and wish they'd keep more of that level of tone, I also liked petal to the metal as well

I was waiting for ethersea to finish before I started to listen, since I feel like these things always work better when you can do a bunch at a time. I've got some travel coming up, so I'll probably download a bunch of it and listen to it then. Sounds like it sort of fumbled the ending but started off a lot better?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 20, 2022

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It started off really strong but began to stumble when it was no longer just about low stakes missions they could be silly on.

QuoProQuid posted:

i wish they would stop trying to be critical role bc i don't think the mcelroys do serious, grounded drama well.

gotta be able to sell graphic novels eventually

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this point they desperately need one or two additional players or basically any other major change they could make to get out of the rut

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I feel like the whole rockport express arc from the first campaign was really in their wheelhouse and wish they'd keep more of that level of tone, I also liked petal to the metal as well

the high water mark for TAZ was somewhere between Petal to the Metal, Rockport Express, and maybe Crystal Kingdom

the high water mark for TAZ was “abraca-gently caress you” at the end of Here There Be Gerblins

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 20, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It bums me out to think it but this is the second campaign in a row I've had to stop listening to due to Travis

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It was all downhill after Magic Brian imo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sankara posted:

Combining "my character's specialty is persuasion and diplomacy" with "is also an rear end in a top hat that's wrong all the time" is a strange choice.

They have to explore the "trauma" of being an "rear end in a top hat to everyone" in an interactive media.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
people wanna poo poo all over Travis and blame him for TAZ being bad, but they forget that Griffin’s DM’ing and worldbuilding peaked with Barry Bluejeans

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

alternatively: no new players but hire a DM and griffin is the fourth. i'm sure they could compensate brennan enough to do it lol

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

people wanna poo poo all over Travis and blame him for TAZ being bad, but they forget that Griffin’s DM’ing and worldbuilding peaked with Barry Bluejeans

And Barry Bluejeans peaked when he was named.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

And Barry Bluejeans peaked when he was named.

:hmmyes:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Peak TAZ was the "purchase" of the Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

eke out posted:

alternatively: no new players but hire a DM and griffin is the fourth. i'm sure they could compensate brennan enough to do it lol

I’d adore a one shot where we get to see if any of them survive an an encounter with Branson Reese as the DM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I liked this season of Ethersea overall, but the various seasons of TAZ are all starting to blur together for me. Might just take a break until they pick Ethersea back up, come back to it with fresh ears.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zero One posted:

Peak TAZ was the "purchase" of the Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom.

That really was amazing, you can practically hear the gears thunk into place in Griffin's head when he realises what Justin is doing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Justin trying basically any lie in Amnesty as Duck Newton is very good.

My other favorite is the extremely dumb bank heist scene from The Eleventh Hour, that poo poo about kilt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eke out posted:

:hmmyes: I actually think this would be the real best thing they could do. Get someone who's an experienced DM who can run a full campaign and let them focus on goofs and stuff