Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

The article is some propaganda, yes.

The report was just WB wanting to find out why they didn’t make any money off it. So when you consider the number of bots plus how many Snyder fans were still in custody after January 6th it paints a clearer picture.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

The report was just WB wanting to find out why they didn’t make any money off it. So when you consider the number of bots plus how many Snyder fans were still in custody after January 6th it paints a clearer picture.

:drat:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like how execs at Warner resent WarnerMedia for not doing more to shelter them from Snyder Cut fans.

Motherfucker, you're the executives. You run the company!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I’m glad the bots happened because I thought the Snyder Cut was good.

Maybe helps that the Joss Whedon version sucked complete rear end, but still, I enjoyed the rerelease.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that article definitely read like a hit piece on Snyder, and then once it dragged in ray fisher and both absolved wb of his accusations and downplayed whedon being outed as a huge piece of poo poo, i knew it was. i don't know how much of snyder being a jerk in that is true, but i really can't trust any of it cuz as far as i know this could've basically been written by some exec with a vendetta

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Apparently the investigation was completed sometime in 2021 so uh why sit on it for so long.

What a drat shitshow they have trying to pile on BS while Ezra Miller is out doing God knows what

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

Apparently the investigation was completed sometime in 2021 so uh why sit on it for so long.

What a drat shitshow they have trying to pile on BS while Ezra Miller is out doing God knows what
I would imagine it was supposed to be an internal document only

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol
https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1549403279154716673?t=oCGjNCbBDMLQkyqTWJWGBA&s=19

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

FilthyImp posted:

It's almost like it's their half-baked distraction idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unless some new bomb is about to drop about Miller I don’t see the connection. No one’s talks about Miller in a few weeks so there’s no conversation to distract from. If the article made a point to tie Miller to Snyder or something than maybe it would be some kind of attempt to blame him for the mess they’re in now. But it doesn’t seem to do that?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The article is clearly written by someone who hates Snyder and Snyderbros, but come on, enough with the weird conspiracy talk. Maybe whoever leaked this had an axe to grind, but as a corporation Warner isn't releasing this to get at Snyder somehow for no reason, if anything Warner sat on this report for over a year to protect the Snyder cut's image and enhance their profits. It's obvious why you don't want people to start thinking ZSJL is something only bots wanted when you're trying to sell HBO MAX subs.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 19, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just can't believe people (on either side) are still getting riled up about the Snyder cut even now. Like whoa what a smoking gun, people who wanted a thing to happen were willing to create some Twitter bots to try to influence it further. We're not talking about election fraud here, move on.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I think another thing I'm getting tired of with the mcu is all the epic offscreen adventures.

please do. That's 30 years worth of material there!

Aphrodite posted:

oh cmon man don't be ridiculous.

they were too busy accidentally tazing themselves in the balls to get caught!

with this being said i do kinda wanna see what exactly synders vision was supposed to look like, not unlike watching a trainwreck.

Do you know how rare it is to get a live action Batman/Joker in a post-apocalyptic scenario?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 19, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The more Snyder moves away from DC the more the fan movement will dissipate naturally anyway. The cult* of personality around him is due in part to his attachment to Superman/Batman. Nolan had a similar thing, albeit pre twitter so not quite as extreme, but that has faded away as Nolan has moved on from Batman. The same I reckon will be true of Snyder.

*Using as a turn of phrase, not saying it's a literal cult before anyone gets upset.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have a hard time mustering enough brainpower to care about Warner's DC movies or any perceived drama around them and I imagine a lot of people feel the same.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Karloff posted:

The more Snyder moves away from DC the more the fan movement will dissipate naturally anyway. The cult* of personality around him is due in part to his attachment to Superman/Batman. Nolan had a similar thing, albeit pre twitter so not quite as extreme, but that has faded away as Nolan has moved on from Batman. The same I reckon will be true of Snyder.

*Using as a turn of phrase, not saying it's a literal cult before anyone gets upset.

Or he can be revealed as a creep like Whedon, that'll nip a fandom in the bud.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Does he have any comments, or he's just saying he doesn't have no comment?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TwoPair posted:

I just can't believe people (on either side) are still getting riled up about the Snyder cut even now. Like whoa what a smoking gun, people who wanted a thing to happen were willing to create some Twitter bots to try to influence it further. We're not talking about election fraud here, move on.

Seriously. The movie came out for however many people wanted it. The people who wanted it the most loved it. Snyder's got a bunch of projects. Whedon's career is tanked and he's been exposed as an abuser. What's left to say here? How much so many people on both sides feel this is some kind of war or something is just like... really?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

Or he can be revealed as a creep like Whedon, that'll nip a fandom in the bud.

Lol if you think Snyderbros would care about him being a creep

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean this report also makes Warner look like total dumbasses for not doing this research until *after* they spent a hundred million dollars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

StumblyWumbly posted:

Does he have any comments, or he's just saying he doesn't have no comment?

What does it matter if the article falsified their interaction with him???

Opopanax posted:

Yall are hosed up my man

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Opopanax posted:

Please shut the gently caress up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snyder Cut chat ends here. Permanently. No more dumb articles. No more tweets. No more posts. Move the gently caress on people. We're done arguing about it here.

EDIT: I'll let the one below slide as it was clearly being written while I posted this. But that's it. We're done.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EDIT: Posted at the same time as the mod, I guess I'll delete it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
EDIT WHOOPS

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Who wants to yell about Marvel Studios being lovely to comic book creators instead?
https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1549774033956196353

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pay the people. Marvel. Not like you can't afford it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean they didn’t even bother to invite Ed Brubaker to the Winter Soldier premiere, none of this surprises me

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Classifying Bucky "Winter Soldier" Barnes as a cameo in the movie "Captain American: the Winter Soldier" seems disingenuous.

I'm surprised the special character agreements exist at all, I thought creators who made characters for companies didn't have a leg to stand on. Glad to hear it's a little better than that at least

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel used to not pay a thing.

DC has always had a royalty system, although they are also notorious for finding ways to classify characters in ways that save them money. Creators used to call it out a lot, so Marvel kind of got publicly shamed into finally doing it.

Jim Starlin famously made more money for KGBeast appearing in BvS than Thanos in the MCU, while Len Wein made more from Lucius Fox than Wolverine.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can see it being a big mess, especially with all the cameo and ensemble films they do, but there definitely needs to be a better solution than the Mouse getting 90% of the money and tossing a few hundred bucks at the creators.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Huh. Didn’t see that coming.

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1549799503137497090?s=21&t=IMt1UXBlLgqgnIIR06FtnQ

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So I guess he can't be Hercules after all.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 20, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They basically already announced this when the merger went through and Warner was so heavily in debt that the new CEO said they are cancelling all new HBOMax content and focusing exclusively on Superman, Batman, and "in-house brand name" movies and video games until the company is out of debt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They basically already announced this when the merger went through and Warner was so heavily in debt that the new CEO said they are cancelling all new HBOMax content and focusing exclusively on Superman, Batman, and "in-house brand name" movies and video games until the company is out of debt.
I hadn’t heard that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn’t heard that

Here's a few stories from back in April. The new CEO promised to find $3 billion in cost savings following the merger and cut most new scripted content.

The New Warner/Discovery company is so heavily leveraged that they are cancelling basically everything and praying that a new vertically integrated DCCU with merch and video game tie-ins puts the company back on their feet.

They cancelled most new HBOMax series to direct resources to the new DC HBOMax tie-ins and they cancelled ALL scripted TV programs at TBS and TNT.

They also killed CNN+ after it was on-air for less than a week (to be fair, I have no idea what the business plan was for CNN+ or who would pay for a streaming service with mostly pre-recorded news segments).

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1519044895817707520

quote:

TNT and TBS are pausing their scripted game under new parent company Warner Bros. Discovery, which CEO David Zaslav has promised will find $3 billion in cost savings across the new company in the post-merger era, Variety has learned exclusively.

quote:

The WarnerMedia-run cable channels is no longer developing new scripted content, three sources close to the matter tell Variety. According to one insider, Warner Bros. Discovery leadership is currently evaluating the strategy for all of the so-called “TNets” — including truTV, which are run by Brett Weitz — and will have a better idea of the role each will play within the new regime moving forward.

quote:

During Discovery’s Q1 investor call on Tuesday, CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said WarnerMedia assets profit projection for 2022 is $500 million lower than Discovery expected, and Discovery’s better-than-expected results help offset that for WBD.

“2022 will undoubtedly be a messy year,” he said, and Warner Bros. Discovery is looking to “rectify some of the drivers behind the business-case deviations” across the company. Wiedenfels called Warner Bros. Discovery’s very recent decision to shut down the newly launched CNN+ “exhibit A” of that strategy. It’s clear now that TNT and TBS’ scripted is part of that too.

The new CEO also said they going all in on IPs that they already owned and creating a vertically integrated company to produce video games and other tie-ins for those IP simultaneously.

quote:

Zaslav has pledged to find $3 billion in synergies in the newly merged company, a signal of how important cost cutting will be to Warners’ new owners. Mining DC’s library of characters could help control spending as Warner Bros. Discovery owns the underlying intellectual property, insiders say.

quote:

David Zaslav, the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, believes Superman is being wasted by not being a larger part of DC's future film slate.

quote:

Zaslav has been toying with the idea of overhauling DC Entertainment following the $43 billion merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia. according to reports from Variety. He believes that "several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized."

quote:

Superman has not received a new solo film since 2013's Man of Steel, in which he was played by Henry Cavill. There have been talks of a sequel since the first film's release, but nothing has materialized or made it past initial discussions.

quote:

Cavill has not appeared as Superman since the theatrical and Snyder cuts of Justice League. Stand-in actors were used for Superman's brief cameos in 2019's Shazam! and the season 1 finale of Peacemaker.

The actor has remained open to reprising the role in future films set within the DC Extended Universe. During his promotional tour for The Witcher Season 2, Cavill revealed that he is simply waiting on DC to make the first move. "I do still have the outfit. Just in case," Cavill said. "Ready and waiting for the phone calls."

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-discovery-ceo-believes-superman-wasted-dc/

quote:

The new owners of all things Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are exploring an overhaul of DC Entertainment, multiple sources close to the situation told Variety.

quote:

It’s been less than a week since Discovery closed its $43 billion deal for WarnerMedia, joining one of the largest producers of reality programming with one of the most venerable entertainment brands under the new moniker of Warner Bros. Discovery. David Zaslav, the CEO of the combined companies, and top leadership have been toying with the idea of turning DC into its own solidified content vertical, the sources said.

The move would potentially affect DC feature film development in the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, streaming series at Warner Bros. Television, and the creative arm within DC proper — all in an effort to have the disparate elements more closely aligned in order to maximize the value of the superhero stable — one often seen as punching up against Marvel.

quote:

Before the merger closed, Zaslav vetted candidates with experience in creating and nurturing blockbuster intellectual property with a goal of potentially finding someone to serve as a creative and strategic czar similar to what Marvel has in Kevin Feige. One of those candidates included Emma Watts, a former top film executive at 20th Century Studios and Paramount, but it does not appear that Watts will take the job. One insider suggested that Zaslav was less interested in finding a creative guru and more eager to hire someone who had the type of business background needed to keep all the different factions at DC working more harmoniously.

Insiders say that Zaslav believes that the success of the merger, one that has left the company highly leveraged, will rest in no small part on unlocking the full potential of the DC Comics universe of characters. Discovery insiders believe that although DC has achieved cinematic success with recent films such as “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” it lacks a coherent creative and brand strategy. Discovery believes that several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized. They also believe that projects like Todd Phillips’ “Joker” are a shining example of how second-billed characters from the DC library can and should be exploited (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is another example).

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/dc-warner-bros-discovery-zaslav-hbo-max-1235232185/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 20, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RIP Snowpiercer

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

So I guess he can't be Hercules after all.

Well yeah. We already knew that though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look as long as we get more Peacemaker I’m fine

We’re at least getting Season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arist posted:

RIP Snowpiercer

This one hurts. :( I really wanted to see more.