Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

larper posted:

Please post them so I don't have to read this dumb rear end malarkey about highways in bolivia

I can't find the specific guy I was thinking about, but here are a bunch of dumbasses who lined up overnight to get gas for $2.38 a gallon. Guess it's worthwhile if your time is worthless.

https://www.wtae.com/article/a-western-pennsylvania-gas-station-will-offer-gas-at-dollar238-a-gallon/40363649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We're not talking about America though. Should cars be banned in other countries as well? Do you think they should be banned before these countries get the ability to industrialize?

ThisGimmickIsTrash

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

ThisGimmickIsTrash

What is wrong with earnestly answering the question?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ait-

private automobiles have no place in the urban environment. Rural areas are somewhat different of course. I have no problem with vehicles in these areas, as things are pretty spread out, but it is also true that you can have rural and small towns with a "main street" that limits the need to drive much within that town. Also unlike the city, you actually do have people in rural areas that need vehicles for work purposes. I also have no issue with roads (and even freeways) in remote areas like this, but only for the specific purpose of connecting populated areas, not going through the areas themselves. I mean Europe has freeways as well, they just don't go into major urban areas. Of course a national rail system would reduce the need for their usage even more.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

ait-

private automobiles have no place in the urban environment. Rural areas are somewhat different of course. I have no problem with vehicles in these areas, as things are pretty spread out, but it is also true that you can have rural and small towns with a "main street" that limits the need to drive much within that town. Also unlike the city, you actually do have people in rural areas that need vehicles for work purposes. I also have no issue with roads (and even freeways) in remote areas like this, but only for the specific purpose of connecting populated areas, not going through the areas themselves. I mean Europe has freeways as well, they just don't go into major urban areas. Of course a national rail system would reduce the need for their usage even more.

Thank you. I don't understand why it was so difficult to get one of you to post this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are people on the news every day for months here now crying about how it costs so much to fill their trucks that they can't buy potato chips anymore. It's awesome, I love it, it makes me happy to see these people suffer and I have zero moral compunctions about laughing at them.

I hope gas goes to $10/gal

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

ait-

private automobiles have no place in the urban environment. Rural areas are somewhat different of course.

Modern American "rural" life is just city life exported two hours away at great cost.

It is insanely destructive and was entirely created through government subsidies to create whites-only country estates.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope gas goes to $10/gal

of course for that to affect change you need to also build out car alternatives, but gl with that lol

it's legit ridiculous that so many of the poor are basically forced by circumstance to still need a vehicle

edit: by "rural" I really just mean actual farmers. Other than that there's nothing of worth out there except for some very scenic small colleges.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Jul 20, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

of course for that to affect change you need to also build out car alternatives, but gl with that lol

Bedroom communities and two hour round trip commutes will end eventually just because it's too expensive for the average American worker to afford.

Whether these people see the writing on the wall or not, that lifestyle is ending sooner rather than later.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'll stop hoping gas gets more expensive when people on the road stop driving like it's free

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thank you. I don't understand why it was so difficult to get one of you to post this.

it's because

Cup Runneth Over posted:

AIT you can either poo poo up this thread constantly or have a serious argument about the future of automobiles in modern society in it. You can't have both, pick one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We're not talking about America though. Should cars be banned in other countries as well? Do you think they should be banned before these countries get the ability to industrialize?

get this: cars dont help industrialize your country, and the developing countries that have them are enslaved to their vehicles even moreso than we are, while the cars and trucks drive the resources they could use to industrialize away from them

the industrial revolution happened 300 years before a car existed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

because you already know it and you're just being a dork

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Reposting youtube comments from not just bikes videos in the cars thread as a hobby

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People in the 3rd world already subsidize everything you do though. :dafuq:

So we should destroy the mechanisms created to force them into such unjust economic arrangements!

Mechanisms like: the auto and oil industries

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

actionjackson posted:

ait-

Freeways exist to promote the adoption of private automobiles in the areas they connect and to provide kickbacks to contractors

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Freeways exist to promote the adoption of private automobiles in the areas they connect and to provide kickbacks to contractors

As I mentioned, a national rail service would reduce their usage. But they still have some value in remote areas.

I took two random small cities in France, and looked at traveling between them. While there is rail of course, because these are not major cities (and not very close to major cities), the train takes an indirect route, which is estimated at 12-13 hours. Taking the freeway would take an estimated 4.75 hours. I personally would still take the train, but I can see why someone would want to drive this if they already had a vehicle. And I don't consider this to be a MAJOR problem.

as an anecdote, I was just taking with someone who was visiting family in Hungary, in a small city called Pecs (lol) where he grew up, which is in the SW part, near Croatia. Five of them travelled to a town in Croatia on the water by car, mainly because there is no train service in that direction from his city - you have to go backwards to Budapest first, and then take a train and bus route from there through Slovenia.

When the freeway system was being planned after Eisenhower approved it, there were those who argued for it to go around major cities like in Europe, but unfortunately they lost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Jul 20, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

finally that dane cook bit comes true almost 20 years later

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bc you're an obnoxious bad poster who is bizarrely defensive of cars & amerikkka. Embrace the :justpost: mindset of hating on both it is the purpose of this thread

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I really don't understand how you people are falling for the lightest trolling from a glenn thread regular. If you want to get a rise out of him just go to that thread and ask about Glenn's husband's situation when they first met.

Apr 7, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

I really don't understand how you people are falling for the lightest trolling from a glenn thread regular. If you want to get a rise out of him just go to that thread and ask about Glenn's husband's situation when they first met.

AIT and I have been trolling each other in other forums for years

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Especially other countries!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

I don't want to get a rise out of anyone, I just want him to go back to doing the funny kind of trolling

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Samuel Glompers posted:

Bc you're an obnoxious bad poster who is bizarrely defensive of cars & amerikkka. Embrace the :justpost: mindset of hating on both it is the purpose of this thread

americas good though

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

americas good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zerg Mans posted:

I think he should leave

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zerg Mans posted:

This is incredibly weird.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
witnessed in the wild lol

hideous

absolutely awful
lmao

Commercial License Plate hahha

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

AIT and I have been trolling each other in other forums for years

wow finally two posters dim enough to keep each other entertained

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

*snaps suspenders* trollin each other in the glenn thread, we like to have fun here in the "i hate cars" thread

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

wow finally two posters dim enough to keep each other entertained

it passes the time

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1549805993474904072

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

least insane local facebook group poster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

they are correct that no sidewalks in a neighborhood is a sign that the residents hate any form of movement that is not car or car-adjacent.

Apr 7, 2003

"no walking allowed in Columbus" explains why a lot of people in Columbus are shaped the way they are.

My brother moved there for a job and that town sucks to the high heavens

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Walkin all nimbly-pimbly wherever u want!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*hitching my jeans up by the over-sized belt buckle* looks like we got ourselves a walker!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

from distant bolivian villages to humble Columbus, Ohio, people everywhere just can't get enough of the car. try one out today

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

"no walking allowed in Columbus" explains why a lot of people in Columbus are shaped the way they are.

My brother moved there for a job and that town sucks to the high heavens

Columbus is a car-brain city yet somehow Murder Bryan manages to walk the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cloks posted:

Columbus is a car-brain city yet somehow Murder Bryan manages to walk the whole thing.

god gives his least walkable cities to his strongest-legged warriors