Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

I miss the super weird group compositions you'd get in early EQ by just grabbing whoever is LFG and killing whatever you can with whoever you've got

i've been fun doing exactly that on TLP. I'm playing a shaman and I assembled a group of... myself and 5 DPS characters in SolA tonight. just cold calling random LFG people who seem like they could get there quickly. great times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hello

https://github.com/sebastian-heinz/Arrowgene.DragonsDogmaOnline

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now it just needs to be properly translated. :swoon: But honestly, this wasn't a good game. The single player Dragon's Dogma is superior in every single way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Single player was better

unless you liked to play with people

also the online version just had more content due to its nature

knox
Oct 28, 2004

From the videos I saw I thought Dragons Dogma Online looked amazing, was confused why it never released in US.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I definitely would have tried it.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
There have been 6000 posts since I viewed this thread last. So no? There will never be a good MMO again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

knox posted:

From the videos I saw I thought Dragons Dogma Online looked amazing, was confused why it never released in US.

japan just doesn't bother to release a lot of their mmos abroad, dragon quest 10 never made it out either. ff11 & 14 were kind of exceptions since ff is a big enough name to release everywhere

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

nazca posted:

There have been 6000 posts since I viewed this thread last. So no? There will never be a good MMO again.

I knew that after 3 posts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
after twenty years somebody is finally doing it; this fall we are getting a freeshard DAOC server with (optional, if server population drops) seasons. If people get bored and drop off, they're going to reset everybody's level, you keep all your realm points (pvp) and they'll start raising the cap slowly from the start again, so everybody's on a level playing field.

The daoc community suffers from this cyclical thing where people leave a server, it dies, then somebody else starts one up, generally every year or so. so we're already doing seasons

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Jonny 290 posted:

after twenty years somebody is finally doing it; this fall we are getting a freeshard DAOC server with (optional, if server population drops) seasons. If people get bored and drop off, they're going to reset everybody's level, you keep all your realm points (pvp) and they'll start raising the cap slowly from the start again, so everybody's on a level playing field.

The daoc community suffers from this cyclical thing where people leave a server, it dies, then somebody else starts one up, generally every year or so. so we're already doing seasons

neat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nazca posted:

We are still on the search for a good MMO. About the closes we have gotten are some of the dream.txt MMORPGs that will never release; Pantheon, Camelot Unchained, Ashes of Creation

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Oof, things really are that grim, eh?

At least we will always have the memories.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cardboard Fox posted:

and private servers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah all of the in development MMOs from like 2010 - 2015 that were announced on kickstarter, ended up being scams.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's a not-unreasonable possibility that the League MMO might jumpstart interest in the genre again, but anything even MMO-adjacent right now is some flavor of live service or DoA Kickstarter stuff.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Airship Syndicate (Battlechasers and Ruined King) also just announced they’re making an MMO published by Digital Extremes (Warframe). Not saying it’ll be good but those are two studios that do know how to make video games at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

There's a not-unreasonable possibility that the League MMO might jumpstart interest in the genre again, but anything even MMO-adjacent right now is some flavor of live service or DoA Kickstarter stuff.

How far away is the League MMO? I remember seeing that Riot started development back in 2018 - 2019.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I said come in! posted:

Yeah all of the in development MMOs from like 2010 - 2015 that were announced on kickstarter, ended up being scams.

was funny when earlier this year John Thornhill, the daoc lead at Broadsword, no-notice quit and was all "gently caress all yall, im goin to this new MMORPG where every in game item is an NFT"

Nobody missed him. He mismanaged and hosed up the retail game for years

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

How far away is the League MMO? I remember seeing that Riot started development back in 2018 - 2019.

Exceedingly. Ghotcrawler's tweet announcing it was in December of 2020, so we're like a year and a half into development.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Hellioning posted:

Exceedingly. Ghotcrawler's tweet announcing it was in December of 2020, so we're like a year and a half into development.

They're probably a year and a half into production. They were working on something MMO-related as early as 2018, so I'm pretty sure preproduction finished around the time they announced.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's been rumors about the Riot MMO for ages which indicates that some level of work was being done, and I don't think they poached Ghostcrawler from Blizzard or did the big lore revamp years ago just for the sake of League itself. That said, they only picked a guy for Game Director a few months ago and last I checked, they still had openings for stuff like Senior Combat Designer and Senior AI Designer. Optimistically 2024, realistically 2025.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

drat that is still a ways off. It feels like we are back in the early 2000s again where we dont have many good options. New mmorpgs are few and far between right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I do not trust a Riot MMO helmed by a WoW dev to end up being good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think it'll be good. But its also 100% going to be a theme park MMO that refines on FF14 and WoW, so yeah, those of you want a new EQ-style MMO still have about thirty years of wandering in the desert left.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also Ghostcrawler is a sexual predator at work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1stGear posted:

I think it'll be good. But its also 100% going to be a theme park MMO that refines on FF14 and WoW, so yeah, those of you want a new EQ-style MMO still have about thirty years of wandering in the desert left.

That's a bad MMO yeah.

I said come in! posted:

That too.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Blizzard ran out of games to copy and dumb down so they fled to Riot and now Riot can go ahead and copy Blizzard games.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Wait the gently caress he's still finding front of house employment?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If I recall correctly he just put out a tweet thread where he was like "aw gee I'm in all these pictures with sexual predators in the cosby suite but I had no idea what was going on!" and I think there was some accusations & evidence that he did but no direct accusations that he himself participated so in the endless firehose of blizzard sexual harrassment and assault allegations everyone just kind of forgot about it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ghostcrawler never had any specific allegations aimed at him in either the Blizzard or Riot cases beyond being associated with the whole Cosby Suite thing at Blizzard. Of course, being a lead guy at one studio accused of rampant sexual misconduct and then becoming an executive at another studio accused of rampant sexual misconduct is Not a Good Look.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Accusation is more than enough in the entertainment industry IMO

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Riot MMO has a chance at good combat, world, and maybe combat but every thing else will 100% be bad, eg microtransactions. Needless to say see you in beta.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Strategic Tea posted:

Accusation is more than enough in the entertainment industry IMO

I'm not sure he even was alleged to do anything. It was all random people on the internet who started talking about how he was guilty of sexual assault because I don't know I think he was in a group photo or something?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Excited about the mmo by the guys who came up with miss fortunes original lore text

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I fuly expect the League MMO to functionally be WoW 2 so if you like WoW but want it made by people who are slightly less horrible then there's that I guess.

(It is me I want that.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I fuly expect the League MMO to functionally be WoW 2 so if you like WoW but want it made by people who are slightly less horrible then there's that I guess.

(It is me I want that.)

Also it will likely be free to play.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Not gonna lie if they just made WoW without everything being based on engagement metrics and trying to force you to play every day, I'd probably play it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Controller support or I walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
While the near future of the genre is a wasteland, Palia still exists and isn't massively overpromising or run by an MLM scammer. They havent officially announced a release date, but it'll probably by mid-late 2023.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 21, 2022