Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They’re gonna run out of SU-27 body kits soon if they keep this up.

E: Whoops thought the 34 was the PAK-FA, I will let my original post remain for shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cimber posted:

What sort of munitions are in those?

Ukraine has been getting the M31 GMLRS, which are guided, like ATACMS, but the same size as the regular rocket. They're single-large-warhead types, since we've decided submunitions are bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Madurai posted:

Ukraine has been getting the M31 GMLRS, which are guided, like ATACMS, but the same size as the regular rocket. They're single-large-warhead types, since we've decided submunitions are bad.

The truth is that a) we've decided submunitions have bad optics and b) more importantly, now that we have reliable precision weapons, putting a bunch of small explosions in the general vicinity of what you want to destroy is less efficient and effective than putting one big explosive more or less exactly where you want it.

Make no mistake, B is the reason why we don't use them much any more. If we didn't have PGMs in quantity, we'd still use cluster bombs and the like.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Will be interesting to see if we get a proper great power competition in our lifetimes that falls short of nukes, but escalates to taking out positioning satellites to reduce the West's precision advantage. I guess GPS/Galileo are less vulnerable to Kessler syndrome since it's MEO, at least? Who knows, I've no idea what I'm talking about :shrug:

LOL we've got SVG embeds but they do not scale down properly even with timg tags. Still posting just because I love the "INNER ALLEN VAN BELT".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If someone starts knocking down satellites en masse then the nukes would fly soon after. It's simply not something that would be accepted or ignored. If someone's doing that to you you have to assume that it's a prelude to a strike.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Like a lot of assumed red lines in other areas, I wouldn't put a "missile test" that dirtied up the space near one of our satellites past Putin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or China in like 2006

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
China is the closest thing the US has in the future to a near-peer opponent. They can build all the toys they like, but it doesn't change the fact that the bulk of China's military is pulled from the rural areas, and their command structure is deeply flawed.

And yes, I can already hear the tankie whatabouters saying the US does the same damned thing. The difference is, the US military gets way more in the way of familiarization and training.

"Don't waste good iron for nails or good men for soldiers." That's not an American saying.

They could build a twenty carrier Navy, and probably will, just to say they have one. But if the personnel are average at best because they took the "quantity over quality" route, then it won't matter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

China is the closest thing the US has in the future to a near-peer opponent. They can build all the toys they like, but it doesn't change the fact that the bulk of China's military is pulled from the rural areas, and their command structure is deeply flawed.

And yes, I can already hear the tankie whatabouters saying the US does the same damned thing. The difference is, the US military gets way more in the way of familiarization and training.

"Don't waste good iron for nails or good men for soldiers." That's not an American saying.

They could build a twenty carrier Navy, and probably will, just to say they have one. But if the personnel are average at best because they took the "quantity over quality" route, then it won't matter.

IIRC, Chinese training suffers from the same issues as Russian training: they focus only on mission essential tasks, and never train for how to handle adverse scenarios where doctrinal approaches fall apart. Apparently they also have massive issues with malnutrition among their recruits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never seen a photo of a Chinese soldier doing a backflip while throwing an ax. Clearly they're decades behind where the Russian army is.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Did you not see the instructional/promotional video for their multi-tool shovel?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

Did you not see the instructional/promotional video for their multi-tool shovel?

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pxJAH9iUQ

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Nah, this beauty right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryyAenmzHM

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

mlmp08 posted:

i hope you're ready for industry music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8ThMqjisA

:stonklol:
That is....uhhh....
Horrifyingly effective

The MIC was a mistake

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1549345664357867521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

geez, a few more strikes like that and they'll degrade that bridge to the level of core US infrastructure

https://youtu.be/SV_U50knEHE

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently there's only two routes over the Dnipro near Kherson, and that's one of them. Looks like the Ukrainians are trying to trap the Russians that are on the other side of the river and keep them from retreating or being reinforced.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

shame on an IGA posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1549345664357867521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

geez, a few more strikes like that and they'll degrade that bridge to the level of core US infrastructure

https://youtu.be/SV_U50knEHE

Joe Manchin denied Russia the VOTE

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

Apparently they also have massive issues with malnutrition among their recruits.

Just me over here being smug about how well we’ve licked that particular issue

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

Just me over here being smug about how well we’ve licked that particular issue

A bit too much. Didn't the DoD release a report a few years ago about how obesity and a lack of physical exercise is impacting the pool of available recruits post highschool?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I remember that coming out, kids are too fat to do pushups, too out of shape to run. Also 20 years of war as a deterrent to potential enlistees wasn't exactly a promising future.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1549745618163322881?s=21&t=DnykbG30BhybVoambXJz1g

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://nadinbrzezinski.medium.com/logistics-collapse-945984f5d48e

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm still hedging my hopes, but oh boy do ever I want these pieces on imminent Russian collapse to be accurate.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm still hedging my hopes, but oh boy do ever I want these pieces on imminent Russian collapse to be accurate.

One of his sources is a Ukrainian official predicting that the Russians will hit a logistics and manpower bottleneck around the middle of August. Even if you took that as 100% certain the Russian offensive will collapse on August 15th exactly that's still weeks away.

Besides as war predictions go, if the predicted thing happens
a.) at all
b.) in the calendar year it was predicted to happen in

Then that's dead-on holy poo poo this person is a prophet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s that time again

https://twitter.com/osinttv/status/1549795174498312192

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Thaaatll show up on the fire maaaap

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

To misquote the title of the YOSPOS cat thread:

hello Donbass, please do okay

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 20, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

psydude posted:

Apparently they also have massive issues with malnutrition among their recruits.

About half of rural kids in China are badly malnourished, yeah. Like to the point of seriously stunted mental capacity. And 70% of kids in China as a whole are rural.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Don't they have literacy problems too because people don't talk to babies for some reason?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
AFAIK talking directly to babies or not is just a cultural divide that crops up in a variety of places and has no effect on language acquisition: if you just talk around kids they learn the same as if you talk to them specifically. don't think that'd affect literacy either way, reading and writing are their own skills that have to be taught, nobody just learns them through osmosis like language in childhood

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

About half of rural kids in China are badly malnourished, yeah. Like to the point of seriously stunted mental capacity. And 70% of kids in China as a whole are rural.

uhh what? You're saying almost a third of Chinese kids have serious stunted mental capacity? Do you have a link to a study or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TK-42-1 posted:

Don't they have literacy problems too because people don't talk to babies for some reason?

It's not literacy per se but it is a development problem, yes.

Grip it and rip it posted:

uhh what? You're saying almost a third of Chinese kids have serious stunted mental capacity? Do you have a link to a study or something?

I don't have anything internet accessible but this book is all about the problems of rural China and has poo poo tons of sources: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51941583-invisible-china

The authors participated in a few nutrition studies with local governments where kids were given supplements to help with the problem. The supplements work, but few of the caregivers (grandparents; the parents leave to work in cities and the kids are raised by them) were interested or willing to give them to their kids, and the local governments didn't pursue the programs.

Urban and rural China are completely different worlds. And no one cares or pays attention to the latter, in China or abroad.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I can only imagine what that sounds like in real life. It must be like hearing a small nuke explode, or a space rocket taking off?
And is that dude on the right drinking a beer?

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 21, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I can only imagine what that sounds like in real life. It must be like hearing a small nuke explode, or a rocket taking off?

This is not meant to be sarcasm, but an ammo dump going up sounds like an ammo dump going up. It's not just one big explosion, it's multiple little and big explosions, and sometimes it seems like it won't end until suddenly it does, only to be punctuated by further explosions.

The closest thing is a fireworks factory going up, and even that isn't too similar.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

This is not meant to be sarcasm, but an ammo dump going up sounds like an ammo dump going up. It's not just one big explosion, it's multiple little and big explosions, and sometimes it seems like it won't end until suddenly it does, only to be punctuated by further explosions.

The closest thing is a fireworks factory going up, and even that isn't too similar.
So it's unique then, got it. Loudest thing I've heard is outgoing artillery, which really isn't all that loud.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

So it's unique then, got it. Loudest thing I've heard is outgoing artillery, which really isn't all that loud.

It's more like incoming artillery, but even that is very different.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what does hearing damage sound like?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

WHAT? SPEAK UP, YOU'RE TOO QUIET

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you're lucky...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/euromaidanpress/status/1549857679027294208?s=21&t=jBg0O4pvitFitpDkyLl4sw