Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's almond slurry if anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Back in my day we had moving pictures and we liked it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

There is such a backlog of games on my steam that I never even open it anymore. Never have any free time for them due to work, working out, "etc".

Sometimes there is a fleeting wish I'd get fired so I'd have time for games, but not really, already went there.

the "etc" is jacking off, right

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

like why else would you put it in quotes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

alexandriao posted:

like why else would you put it in quotes

could be the opposite, extended self bondage chastity sessions

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

doverhog posted:

That seems like an old person talking about how things used to be better when they were just more inconvenient.

All food tastes better when you make it/grow it/raise it yourself. That’s all fruits and veg and livestock and fish and other things in the home you’d normally buy like butter and baked goods etc. It takes years to get the skills to grow things properly but you can catch fresh fish and clean them and have a fantastic protein in no time.

Phuo around this subject is I think most people should be growing veg and flowers and fruit/nut trees if you have the space for it. People have a lot of issues with the suburbs for not being very green (they’re not) but if everyone was growing things to eat instead of useless grass (eww) every neighborhood could run a farmers market at least once a week during the warm months from like May to October in the northern hemisphere.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate to say it as someone who's spent a lot of my life vegetarian or vegan, but it's also really fun to shoot deer. Then you can feast for months.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Irregardless posted:

All food tastes better when you make it/grow it/raise it yourself. That’s all fruits and veg and livestock and fish and other things in the home you’d normally buy like butter and baked goods etc.
That is absolutely not true at all. Very simple, unprocessed things, sure. A fruit straight from the tree is generally going to be better than one from the supermarket. But anything that's processed in any way (like baked goods) requires skill and knowledge. You might be great at some of those things, but you're not great at all of them. And there are actual experts who can do it way better. And some things are as good from the supermarket as they're ever going to be. You'll never convince me that a home-grown apple is better than a supermarket one. There's a ceiling on how good an apple can be and the supermarket ones are able to hit it.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Tiggum posted:

That is absolutely not true at all. Very simple, unprocessed things, sure. A fruit straight from the tree is generally going to be better than one from the supermarket. But anything that's processed in any way (like baked goods) requires skill and knowledge. You might be great at some of those things, but you're not great at all of them. And there are actual experts who can do it way better. And some things are as good from the supermarket as they're ever going to be. You'll never convince me that a home-grown apple is better than a supermarket one. There's a ceiling on how good an apple can be and the supermarket ones are able to hit it.

I hinted at needing skills for all of these things. Of course if you suck at something, that’s just the first step to kinda being good at something. Anyway. Homemade baked goods when you know what you’re doing are always better than ones you buy at the supermarket. Full-stop. Also, the best baker/chef in their field with the absolute most choice ingredients will always make a better dish than me. But I’m talking about me (and all of us by extension) vs the supermarket.

I’ll take down your apple example really quickly. An apple tree in your backyard will provide several benefits that a supermarket apple never will, such as providing shade, giving small organisms places to live and grow in the soil under the roots of the tree, and many apples each year (to eat/sell/process) if you take care of the tree. (Some trees require more than one tree to pollinate but we will keep it simple).
An apple from a tree in your backyard provides you benefits such as… a fresh apple, seeds for more trees to plant or sell, compost material, you don’t have to spend time and gas going to the supermarket and paying sales tax on a fruit repeatedly, and the big one supermarket apples tend to be about a year old and covered in a thin layer of plastic applied to the skin of the apple such that they appear shinier which entices people to buy more of them. I don’t think I need to explain why microplastics are terrible for your health or argue that a fresh apple is better tasting by quite a bit to a year-old apple.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Irregardless posted:

and covered in a thin layer of plastic applied to the skin of the apple such that they appear shinier which entices people to buy more of them. I don’t think I need to explain why microplastics are terrible for your health or argue that a fresh apple is better tasting by quite a bit to a year-old apple.

I hate when I agree with someone on most they're major points but they add lies to their argument because they think it sounds better that way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like wax

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's cum

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I hate when I agree with someone on most they're major points but they add lies to their argument because they think it sounds better that way.

Maybe I’m wrong on the exact substance it is, but you can definitely taste it if even every other part of that sentence is untrue, which is still my point that home-grown produce is better than supermarket stuff. This is just my opinion though so continue to buy them if you want, duh

E: wife says it’s polyethylene that they spray on the apples

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's shellac, which is resin shat out by an insect. There's nothing inedible about it unless eating insects weirds you out. It's certainly not polyethylene.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Irregardless posted:

Homemade baked goods when you know what you’re doing are always better than ones you buy at the supermarket. Full-stop.
Know what you're doing, have the time, equipment and ingredients. And even then, you may be better at making some subset of baked goods, but you're not better at everything you can get from the shops.

Irregardless posted:

I’ll take down your apple example really quickly.
You haven't. Your original contention was that "food tastes better when you [grow it] yourself." None of the benefits of having an apple tree that you just listed are that the product tastes better than an apple from the supermarket.

Irregardless posted:

Maybe I’m wrong on the exact substance it is, but you can definitely taste it
So wash it off? You should be washing fruit from the supermarket anyway. Do you know how many people have coughed, sneezed on and fondled it before you got there?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

alexandriao posted:

the "etc" is jacking off, right

It's all sex related activities I tried to be politely vague about. :tipshat:

I still play games, like Hearthstone, just not new games.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Hearthstone and sex in one day?!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

So wash it off? You should be washing fruit from the supermarket anyway. Do you know how many people have coughed, sneezed on and fondled it before you got there?

The idea of eating a supermarket apple without washing it first is demented, yea.

Apples from your own tree can still be better because they'll hopefully be a cultivar that is not sold anywhere. There are lots of different kinds of apples that don't handle storage well so you mostly get the same few types, like granny smith, at stores.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My aunt had an apple tree in her yard when I was a kid. I used to climb that tree and pick apples and have fresh apple pies and apple crumbles all the time. Super market apples are the exact same.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

doverhog posted:

The idea of eating a supermarket apple without washing it first is demented, yea.

Apples from your own tree can still be better because they'll hopefully be a cultivar that is not sold anywhere. There are lots of different kinds of apples that don't handle storage well so you mostly get the same few types, like granny smith, at stores.

I pity the fool who can't buy Cox's Orange Pippins in season at their local veggie shed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Same but crawfish from a denizen of Innsmouth.

e: I am not a huge fan of her genre but Ariana Grande is one of the greatest living vocalists

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jul 17, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Owning pets, at best it means more resources you can't use yourself, at worst it's an annoyance for other people.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Owning pets, at best it means more resources you can't use yourself, at worst it's an annoyance for other people.

I imagine you posting this from your empty beige room, sitting on the floor.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
are you also picturing the window where an old couple are sitting in a jeep (in 25 degree C weather) 10 foot below with a dog which has barked constantly for the past +45 minutes

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Oh no is the evil pet ruining your sit-in-front-of-a-screen time

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh no is the evil pet ruining your sit-in-front-of-a-screen time

no it was ruining my work day and considering how fed up the owners also stuck in the roasting hot car looked when I eventually went to investigate the constant barking it was ruining their day too, lmao

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if it's unpopular to think so but the future loving sucks

All the jetsons stuff never happened

All the old HOUSE OF TOMORROW exhibits were laughably wrong. Nothing was going to be more convenient. Everything today is done exactly the same, it just costs more and you have a phone to stare at between tasks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I imagine you posting this from your empty beige room, sitting on the floor.

Beige is suboptimal, only pure greyscale color options can guarantee no unexpected emotional response in the subject

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know if it's unpopular to think so but the future loving sucks

All the jetsons stuff never happened

All the old HOUSE OF TOMORROW exhibits were laughably wrong. Nothing was going to be more convenient. Everything today is done exactly the same, it just costs more and you have a phone to stare at between tasks

We have prosthetic arms and legs that can move and respond to nerve endings. We have devices in our pockets that can connect us with people all around the world, not to mention give us access to a collective wealth of human knowledge available at a seconds notice at our finger tips.

Sure, we don't have flying cars or robot maids or dogs with jet packs, but we certainly have a ton of badass stuff that was pure sci-fi when I was a kid.

edit:

I mean, poo poo. We got those 3d holographic ads that I thought would be cool as hell when I was 10!

Robobot has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 20, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Robobot posted:

We have prosthetic arms and legs that can move and respond to nerve endings. We have devices in our pockets that can connect us with people all around the world, not to mention give us access to a collective wealth of human knowledge available at a seconds notice at our finger tips.

Sure, we don't have flying cars or robot maids or dogs with jet packs, but we certainly have a ton of badass stuff that was pure sci-fi when I was a kid.

The smartphone was a sidegrade at best and also a scathing indictment of the human race that this is what people do when you give them access to the collective wealth of human knowledge at a second's notice

I think when people in the future study this time period they're going to call it something like the internet dark age - when all the people who were going to be inventors, researchers, scientists, and engineers were instead incentivized to throw their talent down the social media or middleman app hole

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

These wondrous devices in our pockets make us very easy to track, because we've traded privacy for convenience so that megacorporations probably know more about us and our habits than we know ourselves. Rather than using those devices to access a collective wealth of human knowledge, the massive amount of information has led people to cling even more tightly to stupid conspiracy theories and tribalism. Rather than amplifying truth, the internet has served only to provide a way for weirdos (e.g: flat-earthers, chuds, incels) to get together and feed their persecution complexes.

The internet hasn't been a net bad for society, but I think Silicon Valley/the internet/tech in general has done at least as much harm as it has done good.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jul 20, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pretty optimistic to think future people will be able to study this era.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Oh yeah I forgot comfortable people living in safety were in another apocalypse prophet phase

Wait is it repeating, or has it been one long claim that the world is about to end for the last five thousand years?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When parts of the globe are dealing with nigh-unlivable temperatures that break records, it isn't hard to understand why people think that the human race may not last that much longer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's not the technology that's bad, it's the capitalism. Things such because there's no profit in making them better, and in fact there's profit in actively making them worse.

Phones are poo poo because if they weren't then we wouldn't need to constantly replace them.

Social media is poo poo because it's designed to serve us ads and harvest information about us rather than to actually facilitate social interaction.

Everything's sold as a subscription because it holds our property hostage to endless payments and delivers yet more information to businesses, and incentivises brand loyalty.

Technology would be great if it wasn't deliberately being made poo poo so that rich people can get richer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, the real bad isn't technology, which is morally neutral, but the profit motive. There is a human need for shelter, food, water, and health care. There is no human right to profit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Death Note potato chip scene is proof that anime rocks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think when people in the future study this time period they're going to call it something like the internet dark age - when all the people who were going to be inventors, researchers, scientists, and engineers were instead incentivized to throw their talent down the social media or middleman app hole

I'm sure that's true to an extent, but we are making forward progress in other areas. Consider the last ten or twenty years. Renewable energy has had a gigantic boom, which is still ongoing. Our space launch capabilities have improved enormously. Electric cars have gone from an impractical novelty to a common sight (though admittedly still a rather expensive one). The phase-out of CFCs actually worked, and the ozone hole is healing. We have robots rolling around Mars and closeup pictures of Pluto and a kickass new space telescope. The LHC is boldly smashing atoms that no one has smashed before. mRNA vaccine technology has worked fantastically well in its first deployment and promises to revolutionize the whole field of immunology.

There's plenty of bad news to be found in the world, but that doesn't mean that there isn't good news too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Day of the Jackal should be better known and more widely appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing an MMO should be seen as a warning sign for mental illness and dealt with accordingly