Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Minidust posted:

lmao nice, i love this kind of dumb old wrestling thing. so it really was just like a 7-year-old's idea of a name so cool it would strike fear and overselling into the hearts of grown men

Yeah, I believe the "we have a mystery partner and the answer will SHOCK you!" was Fred's debut as the character. (I still love Sid sounding like my grandma at the reaction. "Oh, lord.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Minidust posted:

lmao nice, i love this kind of dumb old wrestling thing. so it really was just like a 7-year-old's idea of a name so cool it would strike fear and overselling into the hearts of grown men

I've always assumed the literal Star Wars stormtrooper helmet with glitter paint was probably not designed as anything but a goof. I mean there's no way he was supposed to wrestle in that thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They didn't even tuck in his hair.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I feel like there's been at least one match where closed fists were specifically called out in the match name.

I could misremembering or also an idiot.

There's the Summerslam 92 match were Michaels and Martel couldn't punch each other in the face. With the WWF dependence on punching to transition between spots, that rule ended up making the match better as a result IMO.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I feel like there's been at least one match where closed fists were specifically called out in the match name.

I could misremembering or also an idiot.

There's an Austin/Flair match from Raw in 2002 that was specially billed as a "No Punches Allowed Pure Wrestling Match" that I seem to remember being pretty fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ItohRespectArmy posted:

You can throw a pretty bealivable worked punch by having your fist open slightly (imagine you are holding a small tube in your hand) and then throw a normal looking punch without much risk of damage.

although my punches never looked as good as ibushi's do (neither did anything I ever did)

That’s how I taught my friends to do it because I was sick of getting punched in the head.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I'd just throw elbows

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Venomous posted:

tbh I'd just throw elbows

this was my solution personally, chops and elbows 4 lyfe

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I do remember Regal saying he learned early on how to punch someone full on in places it wouldn't especially hurt them. But Regal also had a weird wrestling upbringing that involved "Hey William, $10 if you can stop this drunk from shoot beating you and make it look good"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 19, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah good punching is mostly about throwing for real and then ending up hitting somebody in the meat at less than 30% force. hopefully even less. more than that and you ought to be a cool old guy or else you might be a bad old guy, or young guy, instead

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ya just hang a piece of paper from the ceiling about face height and practice punching it without it moving. Real kung Fu movie poo poo brother.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, it's the same in stage fighting and movie stunt sequences. Swordfights too. Confidence is a huge part of it, so it looks the most hokey when someone is trying to miss you or pull their punches/swings so they don't actually hurt. You're supposed to just go for it. Not at full force, but if the person you're fighting knows their choreography, they will dodge or move back as the hit comes in because they'll get hit for real if they don't.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Raven use the crucifix pose in ECW and WWF but never in WCW? Was there some kind of rule against it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In proper stage fighting you’re just plain not making contact right? That’s how it was taught to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It depends on what type of fighting. If you're talking a slap in the face they absolutely make contact on stage in order for the people at the back to hear. There are stories of early television where stage actors were smacking the poo poo out of unsuspecting tv actors.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For a stage slap, the receiver usually cheats their body upstage, holds the back of their downstage hand up against their upstage cheek (palm out) and the other person slaps that instead of their face. If you do it fast enough and then react with a fast neck turn, it looks and sounds great. I've mostly done tech work in the past but I've seen plenty of actors get some big gasps out of a live crowd.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It depends on what type of fighting. If you're talking a slap in the face they absolutely make contact on stage in order for the people at the back to hear. There are stories of early television where stage actors were smacking the poo poo out of unsuspecting tv actors.

My wife and I met doing community theater years ago, cast as husband and wife in a play. The general plot was that we were circus performers, and I had just found out she was pregnant, and was having a bit of a crisis over the idea of raising our child in the circus. So at one point during our argument I yelled at her midsection "See? You're already tearing us apart!" and she would slap me. We always played the slap real, because the play was going to be in a black box theater and we wanted the contact for sound and appearance.

On the second to last show of the run, I was feeling it. Like *really* feeling it, just really in the zone. Apparently I delivered the "tearing us apart" line with more gusto than I ever had, to the point where when my wife met my energy she really walloped me upside the head with an open handed slap, then immediately started to break with surprised laughter, knowing that she'd gone way too hard. I, seeing she was about to lose it, reacted to the slap by grabbing her and putting her head against my chest, letting her giggle against me while the third actor in the scene tried to get everything back on track.

Later, one of the audience members told us later that he loved our scene, especially the part where "she really smacked the hell out of you!" So for one night my wife was basically Terry Funk, just tatering people and getting adulation for it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That story rules

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

acting is fake

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
acting is fake
pro wrestling is real
- mr. anderson

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When does the Bryan & Vinny show air? Considering subscribing to the F4W YouTube channel because I like the clips I've seen of that show, but it's a couple bucks more for the live show (I guess) but there isn't a mention of when it actually airs.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lazy like a Fox posted:

My wife and I met doing community theater years ago, cast as husband and wife in a play. The general plot was that we were circus performers, and I had just found out she was pregnant, and was having a bit of a crisis over the idea of raising our child in the circus. So at one point during our argument I yelled at her midsection "See? You're already tearing us apart!" and she would slap me. We always played the slap real, because the play was going to be in a black box theater and we wanted the contact for sound and appearance.

On the second to last show of the run, I was feeling it. Like *really* feeling it, just really in the zone. Apparently I delivered the "tearing us apart" line with more gusto than I ever had, to the point where when my wife met my energy she really walloped me upside the head with an open handed slap, then immediately started to break with surprised laughter, knowing that she'd gone way too hard. I, seeing she was about to lose it, reacted to the slap by grabbing her and putting her head against my chest, letting her giggle against me while the third actor in the scene tried to get everything back on track.

Later, one of the audience members told us later that he loved our scene, especially the part where "she really smacked the hell out of you!" So for one night my wife was basically Terry Funk, just tatering people and getting adulation for it.

This rules, thank you for sharing!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why was Jimmy Hart suddenly face and Hogan's manager when the latter came back for Wrestlemania IX?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Why was Jimmy Hart suddenly face and Hogan's manager when the latter came back for Wrestlemania IX?

I watched an OSW review for WM9 that I think explained it as such:
-Brutus Beefcake returned after a few years off from his parasailing accident and had an open challenge that Money Inc. (managed by Jimmy Hart at the time) answered. They put the boots to Beefer but Hart eventually had a change of heart and tried to stop the beatdown, only to be cast aside by IRS (who then rammed his briefcase into Beefer's face, thus the dumb mask at WM9).
-Hogan came back the next Raw to defend his buddy's honor and challenged Money Inc. to a Tag Title match at WM9. Jimmy Hart is also there and now cheerleads for Hogan.

So yeah, seems like it was a case of "Hogan's coming back, better switch sides so I can ride that gravy train instead." Hulk's star had faded a bit by 93, but he was still the biggest deal in wrestling at the time so of course someone like Jimmy Hart would want-in on that. IIRC he then latches onto Hogan for the next year or two in WCW until the Dungeon of Doom angle.

@44 min here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNjriGjBtA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I saw the same episode recently, I guess I meant in reality. Hogan hadn't had a manager in what, a decade? And Hart had been a heel for at least that long?

Also, did Bret ever have an important win or moment that wasn't hosed with? His first World title win was an afterthought on a house show, his second was a fluke at Wrestlemania because Yokozuna was too fat. His King of the Ring win was first a false finish and then an attack by Lawler. His Royal Rumble win was shared with Luger. Etc.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, that's just WWF/WWE booking for anyone who isn't their chosen main event guy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bam Bam was screwed. When do you ever see a decision reversed for a chairshot on the outside that wasn't even the finish :colbert:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

I saw the same episode recently, I guess I meant in reality. Hogan hadn't had a manager in what, a decade? And Hart had been a heel for at least that long?

Also, did Bret ever have an important win or moment that wasn't hosed with? His first World title win was an afterthought on a house show, his second was a fluke at Wrestlemania because Yokozuna was too fat. His King of the Ring win was first a false finish and then an attack by Lawler. His Royal Rumble win was shared with Luger. Etc.

His win over Owen at SummerSlam 94 was pretty decisive.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Who is the person funding Ric Flair's final match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Who is the person funding Ric Flair's final match?

Conrad.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

So, MMA has some incredibly violent brawls in its lowest weightclasses

So who are the smallest wrestlers to have absolute barnburner brawls/beat-the-poo poo-out-of-each-other matches in wrestling? No flips no tricks just Vader vs Hansen but the combined weight of everyone in the ring at any one time does not exceed 300lbs

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

A bit above your weight limit, but Big Japan's Fuminori Abe is on the smaller side at 172lbs and absolutely mauls people with heavy strikes and sickening heabutts

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

My first thought was Danielson vs Suzuki but I guess both of those guys are around 200 pounds

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
300 combined is a hell of a low limit tbh although if anyone has any answers i can't wait to see them

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If women's wrestling counts there are a lot of Joshi matches that meet that criteria

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thought of Yoya since he's one of the smallest dudes I've seen take some real beatings but it's usually against bigger opponents. Hard to find a comprehensive list of matches since he's not even on cagematch. Can't find an exact weight either but he's gotta be around 140-150.

His two matches at Bloodsport 6 and 7 are probably the closest I can come up with for smoll vs smoll. Fought Lio Rush at 6 and Starboy Charlie at 7. Neither has much of any high flying, mostly grapplefuckery with a bit of striking and suplexing coming in at the end. I wouldn't say either really fit the brief exactly but they have some of the elements that the OP asked about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bushmeister posted:

So, MMA has some incredibly violent brawls in its lowest weightclasses

So who are the smallest wrestlers to have absolute barnburner brawls/beat-the-poo poo-out-of-each-other matches in wrestling? No flips no tricks just Vader vs Hansen but the combined weight of everyone in the ring at any one time does not exceed 300lbs

Low Ki, especially after he stopped doing flips. I'm guessing he weighs like 160? Since wrestlers don't have to cut weight and historically are encouraged to be really muscular it's hard to find a lot of people under 150.

But the Stardom roster right now is the answer, those women beat the poo poo out of each other and weigh much less than 300 combined!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Thank you all for the answers so far, I should have maybe added an idiom like "300 pounds soaking wet", I didn't mean a hard weight limit of 150 pounds but a more open-ended question of "lightest wrestlers who still absolutely beat rear end"

Though Stardom probably does set the bar, absolutely.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Christopher Daniels eye still bloodshot through injury or is he working it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is Christopher Daniels eye still bloodshot through injury or is he working it?

Injury. It’s one of these things that could clear up tomorrow or never clear up ever, it’s purely cosmetic though thankfully.