Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You don't happen to have a smartwatch, do you? I drove myself a little nuts trying to figure out why my phone wasn't vibrating until I realized I had inadvertently set my watch to Do Not Disturb which turned off all my alerts.

I have a Fitbit Charge 5 that vibrates when I miss a call which happens anytime my phone isn't directly in front of me since no vibrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
I need to replace my Galaxy S9 soon as the screen is starting to have issues, and I'm having a Karen-esque meltdown upon finding out all these new phones have removed my beautiful 3.5mm audio jack and SD card reader.

I'm torn right now between the Galaxy s22+, the Galaxy A53, and the Pixel 6. Which of these sucks the least amount of rear end?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

sd6 posted:

I need to replace my Galaxy S9 soon as the screen is starting to have issues, and I'm having a Karen-esque meltdown upon finding out all these new phones have removed my beautiful 3.5mm audio jack and SD card reader.

I'm torn right now between the Galaxy s22+, the Galaxy A53, and the Pixel 6. Which of these sucks the least amount of rear end?

How serious and often are you having issues? If you can wait until the fall I'd do that, as none of those look especially compelling in July 2022. None of those were homeruns and if you can wait to see what the Pixel 7 looks like I'd recommend that. I'd buy the Pixel 6 of those three if you have to do something immediately.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

FistEnergy posted:

How serious and often are you having issues? If you can wait until the fall I'd do that, as none of those look especially compelling in July 2022. None of those were homeruns and if you can wait to see what the Pixel 7 looks like I'd recommend that. I'd buy the Pixel 6 of those three if you have to do something immediately.

Sometimes when I hit the button to turn on the screen, it works fine, but sometimes its all faded and hosed up, but seems to go away if I wait a while before hitting the button again, so :shrug: . I'll try to hold out and maybe try the Pixel 6 if it kicks sooner than I would hope

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

sd6 posted:

Comedy option - get an S10? I see them going for around 370AUD and I'd still be using mine if I hadn't smashed it accidentally.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How is it possible that my Pixel 3 XL was so fast and smooth when I first got it and now all sorts of poo poo is janky. What the gently caress

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I ordered a $500 Pixel 6 from Amazon last week that will be delivered on Thursday. Maybe this is just dumb second-guessing, but as someone who owns their phones until support runs out (evidenced by my current s8+), I was thinking that the 6a might be worth it for the extra year of support, considering the 6 is already almost a year old, and the only intensive thing I use my phone for is playing gacha games.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

How is it possible that my Pixel 3 XL was so fast and smooth when I first got it and now all sorts of poo poo is janky. What the gently caress
I have a different phone, but the same hardware and same problem. I threw LineageOS 19.1 on it the other day and it feels better than new now. Should be pretty easy and risk-free on a Pixel if you want to give it a shot.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

sd6 posted:

Eh, between all those particularly if you're super interested in the SD card the A53 at least is cheap ($349 in the US right now) and should last you at least a few years and you know what you're getting going in. I've got an A32 that is still holding up surprising well for day to day use.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 19, 2022

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I have a LG Nexus 5X that's finally reaching the point that the microphone is giving out and I lose all signal outside city limits. Republic Wireless isn't letting me transfer to my girlfriend's old Samsung S7 Edge. I mainly use my phone for web browsing, podcasts, basic apps, and the occasional photo.

Should I stick with Republic? Is their service actually getting worse or is my phone just getting phased out? I've talked to people who like Straight Talk. I liked that Republic didn't force me to install a bunch of extra crap and that my bill scaled pretty clearly with my actual data usage. I wouldn't mind having a phone that could handle game streaming or a SNES or DS emulator, but if I'm honest my actual needs are pretty modest and I can't afford anything fancy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I have a LG Nexus 5X that's finally reaching the point that the microphone is giving out and I lose all signal outside city limits. Republic Wireless isn't letting me transfer to my girlfriend's old Samsung S7 Edge. I mainly use my phone for web browsing, podcasts, basic apps, and the occasional photo.

Should I stick with Republic? Is their service actually getting worse or is my phone just getting phased out? I've talked to people who like Straight Talk. I liked that Republic didn't force me to install a bunch of extra crap and that my bill scaled pretty clearly with my actual data usage. I wouldn't mind having a phone that could handle game streaming or a SNES or DS emulator, but if I'm honest my actual needs are pretty modest and I can't afford anything fancy.

I'm not sure about republic at this point, I dropped them back when you had to get republic locked phones and my republic wireless specific Moto X wasn't going to get android 5 for like a year after it released. I since moved to google fi and it's been a similar experience although not exactly the same, where I pay $20 a month + data (which has a cap on price) and it uses wifi for calling if it can. Google Fi also uses T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular towers so it's not totally locked in and has decent coverage for a weird MNVO. Google also lets you finance the phone over 24 months with no fees if you want. That said, you just missed their summer deals on the Pixel 6 and it might be a couple of months before they have some more. They do carry some non-google phones as well like a few Samsung phones and a few from the Moto G series are pretty good value if you aren't super hardcore about your phone usage. I've been happy with my Pixel 4a 5G, and while the Pixel 6a comes out in about a week I don't know much about it.

When I first went to google fi the customer service was really good but by all accounts it's generally bad now, so that's one down side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone missed it, Samsung will be announcing the new Fold and Flip devices on August 10th and you can put in a no-commitment reservation now for them to get some extra perks if you even have a passing interest in picking one up (along with the Galaxy Watch 5.)

Both are supposed to be using the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1+ chipset which puts Samsung in a position where the Flip 4 may actually have longer stamina than the S22 and the both may outperform the S22 Ultra.

Given what we’ve seen on the Gen 1+ phones launched so far, this mid gen refresh of the SD 8 is getting same or better gains in both sustained performance and efficiency than you usually see on a full generation refresh normally. It can’t be overstated how much better the thing is working on TSMC’s manufacturing process.

I’m hoping that they up the camera game in both. I know there likely isn’t room in either of them to get the huge sensor from the S22U in there, but it would be nice if they brought them up to normal S22 levels as that’s one of the huge compromises to both of those devices right now (along with the battery for the Flip.)

What we’ve seen about the SD 8 Gen 1+ also makes me believe the biggest thing holding back Tensor at this point is Samsung’s manufacturing process rather than any design considerations. Unfortunately, I think this means Tensor 2 will fall further behind Qualcomm since I can’t seen google moving manufacturing of the chip to TSMC when Samsung is helping them develop it.

To be clear, I think the performance of Tensor is just fine, TSMC Snapdragon chipsets are going to hold a sustained performance advantage though due to better thermals and will likely have a battery life advantage too.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Are there any current Moto devices worth a poo poo? I won a Lenovo gift card and don't need any computer stuff.

Current device is a Pixel 5a which I like but can be a bit sluggish at times. Primary things I like about it are the camera quality and the super fast fingerprint reader

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Does anybody know when tomorrow's pre-order for the Pixel 6a will start in Europe?

Edit: pre-orders are live

AlexF fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 21, 2022

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone missed it, Samsung will be announcing the new Fold and Flip devices on August 10th and you can put in a no-commitment reservation now for them to get some extra perks if you even have a passing interest in picking one up (along with the Galaxy Watch 5.)

I've had the Flip 3 for six months now and I can't see myself going back. Both the screen and its protector look new, even with frequent one-handed flips.

As for the new models, an improved battery life would be welcome, but if the 4's cover screen really is the same as the 3, I'm not sure I'll upgrade. As it is, it's just too small to be truly useful.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ended up pulling the trigger on Pixel 6 despite having the same thought as Quixzlizx above re: the length of the official support/patching period being shorter than 6a.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. The fingerprint sensor is fine, a bit finicky sometimes but almost always works first time. Annoying that it's a thing you have to think about at all with a supposedly flagship phone that came out in 2021, but whatever.

The really jarring thing to me was the camera strip on the back. It seems quite hilarious from a design perspective. Obviously I understand why it's there given the thing has a super fancy camera. But coming from a Pixel 2 it's like form factor design is going backwards lol. The way they've made it so insanely chunky with the 90 degree hard edges is a bit dumb imo.

I'm also still getting used to the gestures UI, which is a bit hit-and-miss. Does anyone else have issues getting into Overview mode or whatever it is (the view where I can scroll through currently-open apps)? It seems to take about two seconds to activate it; I swipe up from bottom of the screen and then for some reason have to wait for ages till the phone twigs I want to go into overview.
Also side screen swiping for Back is a bit weird given so many apps use side-swiping for their own UIs, I may just go back to having the three buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Final question for Pixel 6 people - any recommendations on screen protector that's not going to make this fingerprint sensor worse? This article on androidcentral recommends hydrogel or TPU plastic protectors instead of tempered glass, due to the fingerprint sensor issues. Armorsuit clear film, Whitestone Dome glass, and Skinomi Matte TPU are apparently top picks. Usually I'd just buy whatever looks good and cheap on Amazon but yeah

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

El Grillo posted:

E
I'm also still getting used to the gestures UI, which is a bit hit-and-miss. Does anyone else have issues getting into Overview mode or whatever it is (the view where I can scroll through currently-open apps)? It seems to take about two seconds to activate it; I swipe up from bottom of the screen and then for some reason have to wait for ages till the phone twigs I want to go into overview.

I just gave it a go on mine and it sounds like you might be doing it wrong? If you're in an app, swipe up from the very bottom edge of the screen and the app should drag up and shrink into that mode with you instantly. As in, it should move up with your thumb. If you're on the home screen, it'll take a fraction of a second longer - you'll see the search bar and icons push up ever so slightly, then there''ll be a little haptic bump and it'll show you all your open apps. Maybe your phone needs updating if it's just out of the box?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've been seeing similar behavior sporadically over the last couple months, where none of the gestures fire for a few seconds and then start working again. Not sure what the cause is as it's happening on the Android 13 beta as well as 12 for me. It's not happening often, maybe once or twice a week, but it's pretty frustrating when it does.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
All up-to-date.
The swipe up to overview mode is not quite as bad when in-app, but it still feels... weird. You can swipe the screen up and the app gets smaller and goes up with your thumb, but sometimes it clicks (with the haptic feedback) into overview almost instantly and other times it takes like a second or so.
From the home screen it's much worse, it just seems very inconsistent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

El Grillo posted:

All up-to-date.
The swipe up to overview mode is not quite as bad when in-app, but it still feels... weird. You can swipe the screen up and the app gets smaller and goes up with your thumb, but sometimes it clicks (with the haptic feedback) into overview almost instantly and other times it takes like a second or so.
From the home screen it's much worse, it just seems very inconsistent.

You only need a short swipe. Like maybe half an inch / one cm. Then pause.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

You only need a short swipe. Like maybe half an inch / one cm. Then pause.

Yeah, I think it's something you just need to figure out the intended gesture for and then it's super quick and reliable. If you're doing a short swipe already, you may be starting a little too high, try starting at or just below the little gesture line thingy at the bottom.

The only issue I've had with gestures is certain apps seem to gently caress up with them. For example, Amazon shopping app sometimes (but not always) freezes when I try to swipe up to close it or go to the app carousel.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I dunno if it's a new deal but I just went to check on the Pixel 6a at https://pixel.google.com and they have a pretty good pre-order deal going, up to $300 on a trade-in and a free pair of Pixel A Buds. Looks like I should get the full trade-in value for my 4a 5G, so $150 for the phone with the buds, going to make the upgrade.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
$30 for my Pixel 3, woof, why bother. Time to wait for the 7!

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

I dunno if it's a new deal but I just went to check on the Pixel 6a at https://pixel.google.com and they have a pretty good pre-order deal going, up to $300 on a trade-in and a free pair of Pixel A Buds. Looks like I should get the full trade-in value for my 4a 5G, so $150 for the phone with the buds, going to make the upgrade.

I thought I would've only gotten like 30-50 bucks for my 3A. I went to the site after reading your post and saw I would get the full $300 and those free Pixel A Buds. Pretty good deal and I'm seriously considering doing it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Are there any current Moto devices worth a poo poo? I won a Lenovo gift card and don't need any computer stuff.

Current device is a Pixel 5a which I like but can be a bit sluggish at times. Primary things I like about it are the camera quality and the super fast fingerprint reader

The biggest problem with Motorola is less the hardware and more that their software support is competing for the worst in the industry. Security updates are slow and infrequent, and Android version updates often the same. Check for how long a given phone is supported, because a lot of them are only promised 2 years. It was because of the terrible support that I upgraded from a Motorola One 5G Ace to a Pixel 6 - the actual hardware in the Ace is nice.

I still have the Ace as a secondary phone building up a stockpile of rollover data on a Tracfone plan, and when the 2 years of support end in January I'll probably put Lineage on it.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Motorola doesn't have that many phones that would be faster than a Pixel 5a, and their cameras are not generally going to be competitive. And I wouldn't trust their software support at this point.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are phones doing a better job securing their bootloaders then seven years ago? Used to be if you had a non-Google phone it wasn’t a matter of if but when you would give up on official updates and install Lineage or whatever Cyanogenmod is called now.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Pixel 6a pre-orders are up... includes free Pixel A buds. Also Google is offering me $300 to trade in my 4a?!?

So potentially around $175 for me to get a 6a and some A buds. I ordered it, we'll see if they hold up their end of the $300 trade in value. Seems like a mistake for a $350 phone I bought 2 years ago but it's officially part of their offer.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 21, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Oh how I wish I lived in a country google deigned to sell their phones to :/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're a small indie company who've only been selling phones for 12 years, give them time

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

owls or something posted:

Pixel 6a pre-orders are up... includes free Pixel A buds. Also Google is offering me $300 to trade in my 4a?!?

So potentially around $175 for me to get a 6a and some A buds. I ordered it, we'll see if they hold up their end of the $300 trade in value. Seems like a mistake for a $350 phone I bought 2 years ago but it's officially part of their offer.

I'm sure you know this but "up to $300" doesn't mean you will get 300.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dramicus posted:

I'm sure you know this but "up to $300" doesn't mean you will get 300.

Yeah, but if you go through the process it basically confirms it. Once you start the process it says the value can be from $272-$300 for the 4a. Then when you confirm it powers on and is free from cracks or scratches in the screen... then it locks it in at the $300.

Obviously if you're lying they'll change the value on evaluation. But if your phone is in good shape it's basically $300.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Yeah, but if you go through the process it basically confirms it. Once you start the process it says the value can be from $272-$300 for the 4a. Then when you confirm it powers on and is free from cracks or scratches in the screen... then it locks it in at the $300.

Obviously if you're lying they'll change the value on evaluation. But if your phone is in good shape it's basically $300.

Huh, do you think it's some sort of loss-leading strategy because this seems to be a generous trade in.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'm feeling frisky and going for the gamble. No cracks, powers on and factory wiped were the requirements.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dramicus posted:

Huh, do you think it's some sort of loss-leading strategy because this seems to be a generous trade in.

This isn't unusual. I got $150 for trading in my lovely fossil sport for the galaxy watch 4. I bought the fossil sport brand new $99 on sale like 2 years previously.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Dramicus posted:

They've done these kind of trade-in deals before with new phone launches, or on Black Friday.

I've gotten similar values on older phones the last couple of times I've upgraded taking advantage of these deals. Always gotten the full value they quoted.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Red Warrior posted:

Same deal with the regular 4a and guessing most pixels. Wasn't going to pull the trigger but that sealed the deal, trade in value was like 60$ when I was looking to upgrade to the 6 a month ago. My 4a is at the point where I have to angle it just right to charge and it won't read at all in my car.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

In theory they are going to give me as much as $295 for my 3A with a cracked screen which is wild. Very curious to see what the dollar figure ends up being.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My pixel 4xl.isnt cracked but my tempered protector is 😂

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

So how are the Pixel A Buds?

I'm sort of old and have not yet used a wireless earbud.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My partner and parents have been on the phone subscription plan for 5a's through Fi. There doesn't seem to be any major downsides to that program. Thoughts? I pre-ordered a 6a on the payment plan for fi to replace my 4a.

What are the downsides I haven't recognized yet?