Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's all wrapped up with her father, he was a scientist whose work was stolen, I think, by Department H. The adamantium coating Logan's skeleton was definitely stolen from him and that's why she wanted to kill Logan for so many years, to reclaim what was stolen from her father. I'm sure I'm missing details but that's the important bits off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the answers to most of those questions is that she's a heavily augmented cyborg with very few fleshy bits remaining.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

rantmo posted:

It's all wrapped up with her father, he was a scientist whose work was stolen, I think, by Department H. The adamantium coating Logan's skeleton was definitely stolen from him and that's why she wanted to kill Logan for so many years, to reclaim what was stolen from her father. I'm sure I'm missing details but that's the important bits off the top of my head.

oh ok that makes sense. That owns, I like that. It's a shame her character design is dogshit because that's a fantastic motivation

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

glitchwraith posted:

I think that was Chris Claremont's original plan for them, but for some reason it was never fully implemented despite being hinted for a while. I believe it was eventually brushed aside as the Weapon X project implanting false memories into them to control them.

As I recall, there were two reasons, effectively. One is that Claremont is from an era at Marvel that was big into hinting at things without ever explicitly discussing them, which he's talked about in interviews before. Wolverine's actual past was supposed to be one of those "we know, but we're not telling" parts of the universe, like just how badly scarred Doom actually was.

In fact, Logan not remembering a lot of his history was a relatively late addition. There's a bit in the original Miller/Claremont Wolverine miniseries where Logan says in his internal monologue that he knows who his father was, but the rest of his family's a mundane sort of mystery.

The other was that Byrne and Claremont agreed about flat zero which had to do with Logan. As far as Byrne was concerned, for example, Logan's bones were pure Adamantium and his blood cells regenerated by themselves; Claremont always considered Logan's bones to be heavily reinforced, but not replaced. There was always a fairly substantial risk that the moment Claremont left Marvel, Byrne would kick his way onto the X-Men and "fix" everything, which might've been one of the only upsides of the early '90s Bob Harras talent drain.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

oh ok that makes sense. That owns, I like that. It's a shame her character design is dogshit because that's a fantastic motivation

The design is very much of its time and more or less in keeping with some of the fancier-looking Reavers--Donald Pierce and Prettyboy in particular--and I've always kind of loved her look because it's both distinctive and completely singular, no matter who the artist is, when she goes into combat mode there's no question who it is.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

Speaking of Wolverine-related characters, does he know that Mariko is alive? At the end of the Old Man Logan series she was watching over his future wife in secret but between Silver Samurai and Gorgon knowing about her I would assume present day Logan would have learned about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

rantmo posted:

The design is very much of its time and more or less in keeping with some of the fancier-looking Reavers--Donald Pierce and Prettyboy in particular--and I've always kind of loved her look because it's both distinctive and completely singular, no matter who the artist is, when she goes into combat mode there's no question who it is.

The combat mode is fine, I just mean her outfit. The little tasseled leather skullcap and the shoulder pads that go all the way down.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

She's had other looks over the years, but that is her iconic look.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also should be said Claremont was heavily against giving Wolverine a solo book as he feared it would result in every bit of Wolverines backstory being mined for content which would make Wolverine less intersting.

Which turned out to be true, at least sometimes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rantmo posted:

Incidentally those same techniques were later used to reinforce (not coat) the bones of Daredevil villain Bullseye

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Incidentally those same techniques were later used to reinforce (not coat) the bones of Daredevil villain Bullseye

but Adamantium is toxic. Wolverine can survive with adamantium in his body only because of his mutant healing factor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

but Adamantium is toxic. Wolverine can survive with adamantium in his body only because of his mutant healing factor.

Luckily, Bullseye is a comic book character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Luckily, Bullseye is a comic book character

a comic book character who should be dead of heavy metal poisoning

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eh whatever. They can say that since it's not much it's toxic but it would take decades before it kills him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How toxic it is varies a lot. In X-Tinction Agenda when Wolverine gets one of those Genosha collars that takes your powers he got sick right away, like he was going to die within 24 hours. Then when he lost his adamantium his healing went into overdrive and he lost his nose, then, after getting the adamantium back and later losing his powers in Death of Wolverine it doesn't seem to make him sick at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

How toxic it is varies a lot. In X-Tinction Agenda when Wolverine gets one of those Genosha collars that takes your powers he got sick right away, like he was going to die within 24 hours. Then when he lost his adamantium his healing went into overdrive and he lost his nose, then, after getting the adamantium back and later losing his powers in Death of Wolverine it doesn't seem to make him sick at all.

In Death of Wolverine though they explain that it still is extremely toxic and it's just that Beast was able to whip him up some sort of plot-convenient drugs that makes him no longer affected by the adamantium.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Adamantium's toxicity varies by story; I seem to vaguely recall that the idea when he first started getting sick every time his healing factor was turned off was that since Wolverine's bones are fully coated by adamantium, the metal prevents his bone marrow from, like, doing the poo poo bone marrow is supposed to do (I think it has something to do with white blood cells? I don't know, I'm not a doctor), but the point is, Bullseye has never been shown to have any adverse reactions to the skeletal reinforcement he received. Hell, I don't know, maybe that was part of the puzzle that Lord Dark Wind (Lady Deathstrike's father) figured out that didn't get swiped by the Dept. H scientists or something

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There’s definitely a scene in one of the X-Force books between Logan and Laura where she’s giving him a hard time for healing slower than her because his healing factor is bogged down by dealing with his higher amount of adamantium.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Completely coating the bone seems like a sucker's move. I have a titanium rod in my leg, just put adamantium rods in all of Wolverine's legs. All ten of them.

Normally I'd say 'OK, maybe some kind of skeletal coating is less traumatic' but we're discussing Wolverine.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hell yeah, more Ewing/Rodriguez Defenders, let's get weird.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to read Reckoning War. This is probably a mistake, but I have Unlimited so at least I'm not wasting money on a Dan Slott book.

Like, seriously. What the ever-loving gently caress is actually going on? Is anyone but the F4 ever going to be in-character? Why is the moon being loving destroyed treated as a throw-away plot point less important (so far, in my read through) than Yet Another Invasion of New York.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Why is the moon being loving destroyed treated as a throw-away plot point less important (so far, in my read through) than Yet Another Invasion of New York.
Slott's a big DBZ fan

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm trying to read Reckoning War. This is probably a mistake, but I have Unlimited so at least I'm not wasting money on a Dan Slott book.

Like, seriously. What the ever-loving gently caress is actually going on? Is anyone but the F4 ever going to be in-character? Why is the moon being loving destroyed treated as a throw-away plot point less important (so far, in my read through) than Yet Another Invasion of New York.

because cyclops lives there and there was no way it wasnt getting undone.

ugh, what a terrible story

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Soonmot posted:

because cyclops lives there and there was no way it wasnt getting undone.

ugh, what a terrible story

We actually haven't seen the Summers Moon House for a while now, though that may be a coincidence, or tied to Vulcan suddenly losing his poo poo again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ugh, really hate that defenders is leaning into that poo poo america chavez retcon

e: rodriguez's art still kicks rear end tho

site fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 20, 2022

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

site posted:

ugh, really hate that defenders is leaning into that poo poo america chavez retcon

e: rodriguez's art still kicks rear end tho

What was the retcon?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
America's gay super moms from the super lesbian dimension were a figment of her imagination and she's really just another boring science experiment and she doesn't have her star power anymore

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

well that’s just bullshit and I’d expect better from Ewing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zombie Dachshund posted:

well that’s just bullshit and I’d expect better from Ewing.

they might not have a choice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s kind of impressive to retcon something to be more boring. Retcons tend to make things wackier

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What the gently caress? it was brief but her super lesbian super moms were just in the Dr. Strange sequel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
her mom's still exist it's just that they are no longer super or from the super lesbian dimension. they're just two scientists who work for a supervillain

also yeah i totally assumed the retcon was to make her more in line with the movie but nope

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I don't know either. Maybe they just wanted to clarify that she's not an illegal immigrant?
That comic series was weird. Really beautiful, though.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, it's a shame that this plot doesn't really work, because the art of that book is really beautiful.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also the only reason America Chavez was in the Dr. Strange movie is because she could kick through dimensions, that's gone?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

Also the only reason America Chavez was in the Dr. Strange movie is because she could kick through dimensions, that's gone?

By the end of that series, she basically had all her powers, but weaker. Like, with lots of effort she managed to make a portal.
Honestly, I don't know what the intention there was.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I imagine the America move was just an effort to not step on another writer's toes, even if that writer is dumb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one has been using America in their books and I'm pretty sure no one is trying to use the super lesbian dimension right now tho

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There was a digital Strange Tales comic that featured Chavez, Clea, and Wong as one of those "this exists mainly because of the movie" comics that I'm 90% sure was also written by Ewing. Keep trying to google to confirm that, but for some reason Marvel doesn't show the creative teams for the digital comics. Anyway, it also referenced Chavez' current status quo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I get Lady Deathstrike and Spiral confused all the time. I wonder what Spiral is up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe the explicit intent of the America retcon was the same intent behind giving her foster parents in the smae minideries: that a character doesn't get to be latina representation i they're an extradimensional alien.

which like, I get, but it still sucks.