Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

biceps crimes posted:

The shooter crashed his truck and then went into a school he didn’t attend. What is the point in subjecting kids and parents to this performative nonsense?

Don't trust anyone, they're all out to shoot you or sell you drugs. Be afraid, child. Vote.

Also it conveniently gets them ready for prison lol. You shouldn't expect privacy and if you do you're a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Gang violence was so bad at my middle school they banned backpacks all together. Hyper enforced dress code too that specifically was picked for the colors to not be any of the affiliations, lol.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

LeeMajors posted:

We are still taking our shoes off at the airport and keeping fluids under 3oz.

We as a nation are committed to do-nothing performative horseshit as long as it gives us license to do absolutely nothing else.

It's less that and more that no politician wants to take the risk of going "yeah this is all bullshit" only to have some minor issue/incident be used against them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

We are still taking our shoes off at the airport and keeping fluids under 3oz.

We as a nation are committed to do-nothing performative horseshit as long as it gives us license to do absolutely nothing else.

I put this down to our general litigiousness as a society. If they stop doing the shoe thing and someone fucks something up with a shoe, well a whole bunch of people are going to get fired. This whole nation is run on the CYA principle.

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1549210337286692864

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1549117260366843905

For 50 years abortion was a wedge issue that hung like a millstone around the neck of Democrats. Now it's around the neck of the GOP. Every Republican candidate from now on is going to have to answer questions about rape babies and hemorrhaging mothers constantly and if you're a Republican there is no good answer for this question. Do I predict the demise of the Republican Party over this? No, but as an issue it certainly was never helpful for Democrats.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I have the misfortune of knowing Ronny Jackson personally. He's as loving dull as you'd expect. Everyone I know who knows him desperately wants him gone as Congressman, including most Republicans, but the biggest donor in Amarillo loves him so he's here to stay.

Also super awkward when I asked in one of my American Gov classes if anyone knew who our congressperson was - one kid raised his hand and said he did, gave Ronny's name. I laughed and asked if he knew because of all the scandals and whatnot (fortunately left it vague.)

"No, hes my dad."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

citybeatnik posted:

It's less that and more that no politician wants to take the risk of going "yeah this is all bullshit" only to have some minor issue/incident be used against them.

zoux posted:

I put this down to our general litigiousness as a society. If they stop doing the shoe thing and someone fucks something up with a shoe, well a whole bunch of people are going to get fired. This whole nation is run on the CYA principle.

Sure. I also think it's something of a resume' builder for folks to point to What I've Done when they're running for office, evening if it is do-nothing horseshit. Like the class presidency of federal governance.

Ironically, most of them would probably refer to themselves as being 'data-driven' when it comes to policy. :rolleyes:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

Every Republican candidate from now on is going to have to answer questions about rape babies and hemorrhaging mothers constantly and if you're a Republican there is no good answer for this question.

No they won't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In states where politics matter, they'll have to do a lot of weird maneuvering. In Texas they'll just threaten to kill critics and declare that women should have kneecaps removed or something stupid.

biceps crimes posted:

The shooter crashed his truck and then went into a school he didn’t attend. What is the point in subjecting kids and parents to this performative nonsense?

It's the same as the bullshit about "fortifying" elementary schools and pumping more money into unaccountable police forces. Everybody knows what solutions would work, there's no mysteries, but since it's a political nonstarter they have to do a whole song and dance about ignoring it and coming up with elaborate non-solutions that make everybody's lives worse to pretend like they care about the problem but not cause too much friction with their bosses.

It's most awkward with the bullshit about mental health, because they pretend to make movement on that, but republicans are also duty-bound to fight against laws targeted to induce the public welfare, so they have to figure out a way to neuter or kill the legislation before it does anything good by accident.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poemdexter posted:

No they won't.

Well consider me rebutted.

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1549405086387945475

"Alas" I told you these mfkers want the grid to collapse

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

Well consider me rebutted.

I mean I agree with the rest of what you said, but republicans apologize for nothing. No one on the right is gonna question them on this. And they sure as hell don't care what the other side thinks anyway.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1549210337286692864

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1549117260366843905

For 50 years abortion was a wedge issue that hung like a millstone around the neck of Democrats. Now it's around the neck of the GOP. Every Republican candidate from now on is going to have to answer questions about rape babies and hemorrhaging mothers constantly and if you're a Republican there is no good answer for this question. Do I predict the demise of the Republican Party over this? No, but as an issue it certainly was never helpful for Democrats.

jesus taht is tough to read, my wife miscarried last year at 12 weeks and had to have a procedure to remove the, uh, dead fetus. the prospect of having to just go through everything naturally, that's unimaginable. now she is pregant again and farther along. hope everything goes well!!! we gotta get out of this fuckin state lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I mean I agree with the rest of what you said, but republicans apologize for nothing. No one on the right is gonna question them on this. And they sure as hell don't care what the other side thinks anyway.

I'm not saying they're apologizing, I'm saying there isn't an answer that doesn't alienate half of the GOP electorate. If you look at polling, generally there are about 15-20% who say no abortion under any circumstances and about 15-20% who say abortions on demand for any reason at any time. The rest are in the middle, they believe that abortion should be legal, but with restrictions. And all these people draw the line differently - suburban moms of the type that defected from Trump in 2020 are horrified by the idea of forcing women to bear children who are the result of rape and incest, and that's not going to get any better as we hear story after story after gruesome story about moms forced to carry dead fetuses for weeks or intubated and risking death because they couldn't get care for an ectopic pregnancy. At the same time, abortion hardliners - who are immensely overrepresented among primary voters - genuinely believe that God Has A Plan for everything and that includes bearing and raising a child that was the result of your uncle raping you when you were 11 - and seeing that as a blessing. So "Should a 12 year old girl have to bring her rapist's baby to term" isn't a question that you can answer without pissing off half of your voters.

Most Americans are squishy on abortions, they don't like thinking about it, they don't like talking about it or weighing ethical problems related to it. When you get out there and start drawing bright lines about when women and doctors should go to jail, or when women are forced to risk their lives to bring a pregancy to term, or anything else concrete, it doesn't help you. Remember when everyone freaked out about Trump saying in the '16 campaign that women who have abortions should be punished? Because while many in the pro-life movement believe that to be true, they also recognize it is deeply unpopular and that you can't go around saying it. Because Trump isn't steeped in the rhetoric like they are (because he is a fraud that is neither conservative nor liberal, but rather a party with a constituency of one), he committed what would've normally been a major, and possibly campaign ending, faux pas - if political gravity applied to Trump, which it doesn't.

lobster shirt posted:

jesus taht is tough to read, my wife miscarried last year at 12 weeks and had to have a procedure to remove the, uh, dead fetus. the prospect of having to just go through everything naturally, that's unimaginable. now she is pregant again and farther along. hope everything goes well!!! we gotta get out of this fuckin state lol

Part of the problem is that the pro-life movement doesn't recognize the many, many instances in which "abortions" are necessary for medical reasons, and pretend that all abortions are elective. The current rhetoric is bending to try and exclude anything that is non-elective from the category of abortion but unfortunately for them the medical profession is erring on the side of not doing these procedures rather than risk litigation.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 19, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, by most metrics "no abortion under any circumstances" is incredibly unpopular among most human americans, but it's also the stance that the party married itself to and will have to reckon with [in places where there is actual political competition as opposed to a dipshit autocracy regularly getting away with murder].

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

I hope it works out the best for you both and she can carry eventual baby to term safely and healthy.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

I'm not saying they're apologizing, I'm saying there isn't an answer that doesn't alienate half of the GOP electorate.

What I'm sorta getting at is will this change anyone's mind in voting for R? If not, then republicans don't have to answer for anything nor do they even need an answer. Worst case, republican voters pull the whole "oh i'm an independent" bullshit line to distant themselves from the issue but they aren't gonna push back against the rhetoric getting pumped at them about how this is actually cool and good and only bad people are against it.

zoux posted:

Remember when everyone freaked out about Trump saying in the '16 campaign that women who have abortions should be punished?

I remember who won that election.

In my heart of hearts, I really hope I'm wrong and established republicans push back against this, but I really doubt it. It's been a party plank forever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

I'm not saying they're apologizing, I'm saying there isn't an answer that doesn't alienate half of the GOP electorate. If you look at polling, generally there are about 15-20% who say no abortion under any circumstances and about 15-20% who say abortions on demand for any reason at any time. The rest are in the middle, they believe that abortion should be legal, but with restrictions. And all these people draw the line differently - suburban moms of the type that defected from Trump in 2020 are horrified by the idea of forcing women to bear children who are the result of rape and incest, and that's not going to get any better as we hear story after story after gruesome story about moms forced to carry dead fetuses for weeks or intubated and risking death because they couldn't get care for an ectopic pregnancy. At the same time, abortion hardliners - who are immensely overrepresented among primary voters - genuinely believe that God Has A Plan for everything and that includes bearing and raising a child that was the result of your uncle raping you when you were 11 - and seeing that as a blessing. So "Should a 12 year old girl have to bring her rapist's baby to term" isn't a question that you can answer without pissing off half of your voters.

Most Americans are squishy on abortions, they don't like thinking about it, they don't like talking about it or weighing ethical problems related to it. When you get out there and start drawing bright lines about when women and doctors should go to jail, or when women are forced to risk their lives to bring a pregancy to term, or anything else concrete, it doesn't help you. Remember when everyone freaked out about Trump saying in the '16 campaign that women who have abortions should be punished? Because while many in the pro-life movement believe that to be true, they also recognize it is deeply unpopular and that you can't go around saying it. Because Trump isn't steeped in the rhetoric like they are (because he is a fraud that is neither conservative nor liberal, but rather a party with a constituency of one), he committed what would've normally been a major, and possibly campaign ending, faux pas - if political gravity applied to Trump, which it doesn't.

Part of the problem is that the pro-life movement doesn't recognize the many, many instances in which "abortions" are necessary for medical reasons, and pretend that all abortions are elective. The current rhetoric is bending to try and exclude anything that is non-elective from the category of abortion but unfortunately for them the medical profession is erring on the side of not doing these procedures rather than risk litigation.

The half of Republicans that aren't virulently, violently anti-abortion don't really give much of a poo poo about it and will just shrug and say "there is no good answer" before pulling that lever for whatever R lunatic is on the ballot.

Much like Uvalde gun dad who thought Rittenhouse memes were great and loves the police, they won't give a drat until it personally affects them. And even then, its unlikely to move them at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The abortion issue was never helpful for Democrats. It will not be helpful for Republicans.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now all we have to do is rely on the wisdom and contrition of the texas voter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We can rely on their propensity to see anyone who disagrees with them slightly to be a traitor and a RINO.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

i say swears online posted:

now all we have to do is rely on the wisdom and contrition of the texas voter

Hahahahahah

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

The abortion issue was never helpful for Democrats. It will not be helpful for Republicans.

it was certainly useful for fundraising which is ultimately why we're here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ByEdMcKinley/status/1549438107392565252

Seems like a pretty normal curriculum

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

seems pretty good, i like the prison bit at the end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1549445090799718403

AAAAA HA!

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1549375102344744965

:ughh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Some great content on this page.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Can you link to this? I can’t find it through Google or on NBC News. I want it to be real. I want to believe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Can you link to this? I can’t find it through Google or on NBC News. I want to believe.

Oh well then it's probably fake

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i shared that! reputation in tatters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When something is funny but looks fake, it's best not to look into it. You've spoiled joy today.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the friend i sent it to said "wow! can't make that stuff up"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nothing on the internet is real, but it is more fun to pretend it is and just go with it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dameius posted:

Nothing on the internet is real, but it is more fun to pretend it is and just go with it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Most Americans are squishy on abortions, they don't like thinking about it, they don't like talking about it or weighing ethical problems related to it.
Because right wing propaganda has spewed “abortion is murder” for so long that people actually kinda believe it.

A few years ago I saw some morons protesting in town square of Athens, TX with unironic “IUDs are murder” signs. These are not people that understand reproduction or womens anatomy at all, and democrats just ceded that conversation to the liars and guess what - now even reasonable people are “squishy” on abortion.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2022

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Because right wing propaganda has spewed “abortion is murder” for so long that people actually kinda believe it.

A few years ago I saw some morons protesting in town square of Athens, TX with unironic “IUDs are murder” signs. These are not people that understand reproduction or womens anatomy at all, and democrats just ceded that conversation to the liars and guess what - now even reasonable people are “squishy” on abortion.

Yeah I've heard my entire life that birth control is murder. Eventually people start to believe it.

Then we get shithead rightwingers, after decades of misinformation campaigns and propaganda, setting up a completely legitimate and not at all rigged poll so they can go "see, look, this totally means America thinks condoms are murder and the Trojan man should be executed" or "actually this poll here states Americans are flexible on the abortion issue so we were right to do loving not a god drat thing about it, like everything else, for decades"

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's the literal same process that leads to brainlet headlines talking about how many Americans think having universal healthcare would be just the worst; Because those same loving media outlets have told them that exact thing for their entire lives.

Or that ~the gays~ are going to do whatever the gently caress people are afraid of.

None of this poo poo is even remotely organic, and you'd be a fool to treat these issues as something your average jackass has any deeply held convictions over. People can be moved, and pretending they can't only cedes the field to the far right.

e: Standard caveat about how you're not going to change your dumbass Qanon uncle goes here. I'm not talking about extremes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1549815429241208849

Absolute psychos

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1549530789603414016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/B52Malmet/status/1549820253609525250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anybody wants to announce that policing in america is broken and needs to be fixed, now would be the time. Uvalde ads just write themselves.