Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow, thieves kit totally outclasses burglary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Predator or prey could take your team this scenario from the jaws of defeat in various parts of the Innsmouth conspiracy. It also is interesting in a few scenarios where enemies are trying to run away from you. Like, this would be unthinkably amazing if you were taking a train ride and wanted to move all four investigators with zero actions.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 15, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
A guy I frequently game with has run Winnie with the Crystalizer of Dreams in two different campaigns and it seems really powerful. Being able to turn events into skill cards that turn into card draw helps prevent her from running out of gas and you'd be surprised how often you get back a clutch event by drawing an elder sign.

The build really comes together once you've upgraded pilfer and backstab to return to your hand at the end of the round. You get to play the event, commit it to a check (and drawing a card due to her ability), and then pick it back up again. It still works before they are upgraded since she cycles through her deck quickly.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, thieves kit totally outclasses burglary.

Burglary is unplayable bad, any new card that performs a similar function better outclass it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is something amusing about Bob selling a college athlete a thieves kit, because it matches their utility knife.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

A guy I frequently game with has run Winnie with the Crystalizer of Dreams in two different campaigns and it seems really powerful. Being able to turn events into skill cards that turn into card draw helps prevent her from running out of gas and you'd be surprised how often you get back a clutch event by drawing an elder sign.

Crystallizer is pretty interesting. I'm usually not a fan of the card but I can see how it would work well for her. Definitely a build-around. I wanted to take the upgraded Cheap Shot, too, but I couldn't find the XP for it.

Nephthys posted:

For guns I took the .25 automatic (2), since with Delilah that gets Wini and Finn to 6 before you use any other boosters, and it's a really strong combo with Delilah to evade, shoot and have Delilah cap them all in one action (that Finn gets as a bonus!). Then the Beretta M1918 was the big gun for getting to 8. I considered the Chicago Typewriter but the Beretta is more action-efficient, if riskier. Finally, Hard Knocks (2) got used for some bonus combat (or agility) when needed for big enemies after I stockpiled some cash.

But I play on Standard so I can't say how successful this would be on Hard. Plus it helped to have Jacqueline on hand to pass 1 or 2 crucial tests per turn consistently. I would still recommend it though, it was one of the most fun Rogue decks I've ran.

Regarding the .25 Automatic on Standard vs Hard, I did a few plots for it. The minimum value for the Skull token in both modes is -1 (I also corrected a minor issue in the Curtain Call plot in my report where I had it at 0) and the lowest it can go in Standard is -3, so these plots are based on those values:

In Curtain Call there are two enemies with a fight value of 4 (the Emissary and the Agent) so if you use a 6-point attack from the .25 Automatic you're pretty much golden on Standard at the start of the game, and you only need a 1-point boost at -3 to maintain an 87% success rate with it, which is excellent. In Act 3 the new tokens are -4 on Standard (instead of -5 on Hard) so you would need a +2 boost at that point to be able to keep killing the Emissary pretty safely even late in the game.

So, yeah, guns work on Standard. Which is something you could work out by just playing the game, but numbers are fun!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 15, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, and here's another spoiler:

Looks like Scarlet Keys is Rogue Investigation: The Expansion. Seems really good, and I like how we're now taking monsters to court (yes, that is how I choose to interpret it).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I like how courts are a Rogue thing.

We need a lawyer investigator.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There goes my dreams for a customizable Rogue gun that uses Agilty to shoot.... :negative:

I think one of the best uses of this would be to keep a non-Hunter enemy in play somewhere to re-use this. Otherwise it's a bit unreliable.

Kalko posted:

I tried Lone Wolf in Curtain Call but it was a bit awkward because both investigators were often together. It might not have been a bad Adaptable swap, though, I just kind of memory-holed it after that first scenario. I looked at the level zero version of Pickpocketing and dismissed it because it would take two evade actions to just cover its own cost, but you're right, I did do a lot of evading (probably more than I might expect if I actually counted up every instance). It's worth testing.

Your comments about two-handed guns reminded me that I did have one other idea, and it's this:

This is another one I dismissed on paper because it only hit for two damage, but thinking about it later pretty much all of my hits throughout the campaign were only two damage, and being able to do it twice for one action probably would have been pretty effective at times. It's an expensive gun, though, and it means I probably wouldn't be able to take Lockpicks, but maybe swapping Pilfer and perhaps Intel Report in and out with Adaptable would work for some backup cluevering. But yeah, I'd have to really get to the bottom of my resource generator dilemma.

And if I had the Thompson I could also use Sleight of Hand, and that might also open up the Lupara.

Food for thought...

Yep, Lone Wolf is amazing for running two Flex investigators who can run around on their own but it's not possible for a dedicated fighter. Pickpocketing was really good for covering the costs of Delilah or events, especially when I took Another Day, Another Dollar to offset the initial cost. With both, I could steadily maintain or build my resources until I needed to blow money on Hard Knocks boosts.

I'd be interested to hear if you manage to get the Thompson to work. With Sharpshooter I think it might be possible. I did find that having the Berreta made Lockpicks much less useful so I actually ended up eating the XP loss and swapping them out with Lola Santiago + Charisma just for the passive boosts to Intellect and Agilty (it was Forgotten Age so I had more XP than I needed anyway).

Have you tried Chuck Fergus? He's a huge investment XP-wise but he makes an event-heavy deck much, much more sustainable for Rogue. With Winifred, your card-draw might be good enough to only get one of him.

Orange Devil posted:

I like how courts are a Rogue thing.

We need a lawyer investigator.

We do have George to look forward to: https://eldritchhorror.fandom.com/wiki/George_Barnaby

I think he's a good fit for Seeker 1/Rogue 2-5, as the opposite of Jack. Could be Seeker 3/Rogue 3 if they do that.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 15, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Comments on Kalko's Carcosa Campaign Chronicle:

Rex remains bonkers broken, I'm surprised at your off-colour choices though. I would've expected the Lucky Cigarette Case to beat out the Rabbit's Foot, but I'll defer to your testing. Overall though not sure you want to spend the out of class and accessory slot on card draw when you're already playing a yellow investigator? I guess I am most surprised at Pathfinder over Eon Chart, given how both provide movement. With Ariadne's Twine and Milan you could seemingly keep it up forever.

Also a bit surprised at only 4 Practiced skills with Practiced Makes Perfect, I strongly prefer to run 6 if not 8 since missing with it just sucks so much. I do get that you'll upgrade into more later, but then your upgrade order (going lvl 2 Perception and Drawing Sketches before the Eye of Truth is sus to me). The notable missing card to me is Eureka!.

Thinking maybe this deck should not have been running PMP at all, and also not upgrade into Perception lvl 2 and Eye of Truth.

You state you need to commit cards before uisng PMP and can't do it after. This is news to me, can you explain why this is?

The weakness draw certainly can hurt, but it really isn't the worst either, especially with a Green (or Blue) partner who can give you some resources if they draw their economy. Curious how you found Crack the Case overall. I'm starting to sour on it more as there's a couple hoops to jump through to get value (gotta be the one to get the last clue, gotta get it off a high-ish shroud location) and by it's nature it's economy that you generally can't use turn 1 where, as you note with Indebted, economy is the most valuable. Basically it often ends up being a cash-injection mid-game and while it's Fast and flexible, not all investigators can even really use a cash injection mid-game. And those who can need to wonder if their deck still functions if they don't get that cash injection. Anyway, maybe Emergency Cache would've been better is what I'm trying to say.

Winnifred is very interesting, and you're using a real interesting build. Always enjoy finding a use for cards you don't see often so this is cool to see. Tough to pair a 1 willpower character with a character who doesn't have high willpower themselves though. When I paired Tony with Joe that was reason for me to cut the You Handle This One's. Not sure if that would work here, but am wondering if you considered it.

Surprised to see you not use a weapon at all to start with for a fighter. Also surprised it worked as well as it did, though not surprised Rex needed to pitch in, quite significantly with spending 4 card slots and 14 experience on enemy management I might add. Given what you're doing Delilah definitely seems like the right choice. Shocked that you didn't upgrade into economy with priority though. Very impressed with how much use you got out of Let God Sort Them Out. I would've dismissed this card but reading your report it certainly seems to pull its weight. Also understand why you took it, Rogue's really need their experience. Especially with a side scenario though, that's just begging the question why no Charon's Obol?

You got great use out of Adaptable which is always nice to see. So many events and not even a mention of Crystallizer of Dreams, that can't be right. Also given how good you already are at Agility, wouldn't you prefer Overpower over Manual Dexterity?

Lastly, I just haven't had great results with "Watch This!", I take it sometimes because Rogue lvl 0 economy is not great and they really need their resources, but it's usually a card I quickly swap for a Hot Streak or Easy Mark (which then further synergize with the Crystallizer). I get that it synergizes with Winnifred's ability also, so I understand keeping it here, but generally though I'd think this deck would just want more economy, going with 8 cards if possible. Having it be a cornerstone of your economy all campaign long just doesn't sound right. Lone Wolf and Emergency Cache I'd both seriously consider. And I'd really want that Hot Streak (2) asap, and probably Hot Streak (4) not long after.

Not going to comment too much on the scenario's as you did well and doesn't seem like you missed any tricks I know about, with the one exception of not using Adaptable to grab an "I'm out of here" for the Asylum.

First scenario of this campaign is tough but it's such a great scenario. While the campaign storytelling gimmick is very cool thematically, unfortunately going Conviction is just generally easier, so there's not much to think about once you figure that out. Burning down the house is the total no-brainer way to make the campaign easier. Would be interested in seeing someone do a full Doubt run with no burning down the house or killing any of the party guests though (including if they show up later). Would be a hell of a lot harder but also potentially you wouldn't be a mass-murdering lunatic?

You also dealt with the Man in the Pallid Mask a lot less times than I'm used to from playing this campaign. (this is probably my most often finished campaign, possibly even more often than Dunwich).

Lucky Cigarette Case (3) is very, very good, but it's also not that much better than LCC(0) that I'd be taking it over economy and ways for the deck to Do poo poo, like for example the Lockpicks and the Sharpshooter. I'd probably take those first. Speaking of Lockpicks, why was Lockpicks(0) not in the deck?

The Ankh is clever, definitely would've never thought of this myself. Really not convinced at taking Perception(2) so early. Magnifying Glass(1) also only makes sense given Indebted. Worth pointing out that I have seen quite some people grab Faustian Bargain as Rex' off-colour cards even without Indebted. So far Rex is spending almost all his experience on helping out Winnifred and dealing with his weakness. He could've been at Eon Chart (4) + Ariadne's Twine by now just speedrunning scenario's instead. Also was the lack of economy for both decks the reason to not take any tarot cards? Given how much both use their primary stats, they seem like a single copy for each could do a lot of work.

Even if you want to stick with the upgrade path you chose though, I'd definitely grab The Eye of Truth before Perception(2) and Magnifying Glass(1). Another effect is that you get rid of the Fine Clothes earlier this way, which is a card which is outstaying it's welcome a bit in your run I think. I do think Copycat is a nice find though, and another card you don't see often. Shotgun and Ankh "synergy" is just awesome. Did you ever consider Backstab(3)?

Manual Dexterity(2) over economy. Just smdh.

You also go Preposterous Sketches(2) as a way to dump some leftover XP, but uhh, Cryptic Research? Imagine Perception(0) and instead of Preposterous Sketches you have 2 Cryptic Research. That has *got* to be better right?

2x Swift Reload over another Shotgun seems not great also. There's the ordering issue and also you're taking up a whole extra deck slot this way.

Sucks that you ended up losing, and you did seem to get some bad beats at the end there, but also there's really quite a few questionable upgrade decisions you make in this that in my estimation add up to your decks just not scaling as well as they could, or indeed should to beat the late scenarios on Hard. Looking forward to you having another crack at this campaign some other time though.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 15, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks for the feedback, I always appreciate your perspective because you always ask the right questions, ie. the ones that make me question my own choices!

Orange Devil posted:

Comments on Kalko's Carcosa Campaign Chronicle:

Rex remains bonkers broken, I'm surprised at your off-colour choices though. I would've expected the Lucky Cigarette Case to beat out the Rabbit's Foot, but I'll defer to your testing. Overall though not sure you want to spend the out of class and accessory slot on card draw when you're already playing a yellow investigator? I guess I am most surprised at Pathfinder over Eon Chart, given how both provide movement. With Ariadne's Twine and Milan you could seemingly keep it up forever.

I feel pretty confident about RF generally providing more cards over a scenario than LCC - consider all the times you don't succeed by 2 or don't actually perform a test on a turn (small numbers by themselves, but in aggregate they add up) compared to how many times you fail a treachery or just a regular test (and then there's his curse). And the LCC's single Willpower icon felt very awkward when it had to sit in hand for a few turns because it was lower on the priority list to play. I did feel like Rex could never get enough card draw, too, as that's what powered his oversuccess engine.

I think once I dropped Eon Chart (1) from Curtain Call I didn't consider it again for the rest of the campaign (and I already had the slot taken with RF). I'm still shy about Eon Chart (4) because of the few times where I took with other investigators and didn't have enough boost power to actually succeed at the extra actions it provided, but I probably just need to spend more time with it to get over that misgiving.

quote:

Also a bit surprised at only 4 Practiced skills with Practiced Makes Perfect, I strongly prefer to run 6 if not 8 since missing with it just sucks so much. I do get that you'll upgrade into more later, but then your upgrade order (going lvl 2 Perception and Drawing Sketches before the Eye of Truth is sus to me). The notable missing card to me is Eureka!.

Thinking maybe this deck should not have been running PMP at all, and also not upgrade into Perception lvl 2 and Eye of Truth.

I considered Plan of Action (and even Take the Initiative) but I felt four was a solid enough foundation and in some test runs I did take the Eye earlier. I'd never considered Perception (2) being a mistake because I really appreciated its extra card draw, but yeah I like how I'm questioning basic decisions like this now. I'm starting to think Rex is so strong that it makes it harder to identify where you might be missing out some optimization, if you know what I mean.

quote:

You state you need to commit cards before uisng PMP and can't do it after. This is news to me, can you explain why this is?

I took ST.2 to mean that this was the first opportunity to actually commit cards, but now that I look at it again I'm not sure why I assumed you can't play PMP in the window after ST.1. Consider me corrected!

quote:

The weakness draw certainly can hurt, but it really isn't the worst either, especially with a Green (or Blue) partner who can give you some resources if they draw their economy. Curious how you found Crack the Case overall. I'm starting to sour on it more as there's a couple hoops to jump through to get value (gotta be the one to get the last clue, gotta get it off a high-ish shroud location) and by it's nature it's economy that you generally can't use turn 1 where, as you note with Indebted, economy is the most valuable. Basically it often ends up being a cash-injection mid-game and while it's Fast and flexible, not all investigators can even really use a cash injection mid-game. And those who can need to wonder if their deck still functions if they don't get that cash injection. Anyway, maybe Emergency Cache would've been better is what I'm trying to say.

The deck actually began life without CtC but I started taking it mostly for Winifred, then when I drew Indebted it became a bit of a lifesaver for Rex because Milan was so much harder to play. I think if you're developing a deck with only your investigator in mind it's definitely not an auto-include, but given that you can share the resources you always have to consider that use case. Also Carcosa seemed to have a lot of economy disruption treacheries, but then maybe it had the normal amount and I was just more sensitive to them because both my investigators were broke all the time.

quote:

Winnifred is very interesting, and you're using a real interesting build. Always enjoy finding a use for cards you don't see often so this is cool to see. Tough to pair a 1 willpower character with a character who doesn't have high willpower themselves though. When I paired Tony with Joe that was reason for me to cut the You Handle This One's. Not sure if that would work here, but am wondering if you considered it.

Surprised to see you not use a weapon at all to start with for a fighter. Also surprised it worked as well as it did, though not surprised Rex needed to pitch in, quite significantly with spending 4 card slots and 14 experience on enemy management I might add. Given what you're doing Delilah definitely seems like the right choice. Shocked that you didn't upgrade into economy with priority though. Very impressed with how much use you got out of Let God Sort Them Out. I would've dismissed this card but reading your report it certainly seems to pull its weight. Also understand why you took it, Rogue's really need their experience. Especially with a side scenario though, that's just begging the question why no Charon's Obol?

I think every other time I've played a character that can take YHTO I've paired them with a Mystic so I was actually kind of curious about what would happen if a Rogue just couldn't rely on that. I really need to just bite the bullet and take the Obol, I think. I keep dismissing it because sometimes defeat can just happen, but honestly Wini was super safe the whole way through all of my testing (it was Rex that would end up at death's door because of his HP more often than not).

I tried to make guns work in Curtain Call but it just wasn't going to fly. The Rogue level zero guns are too conditional and there were too few ways to consistently boost Combat to be able to handle everything. I think I could've done better at incorporating them earlier into the campaign though (alongside Sharpshooter, of course).

quote:

You got great use out of Adaptable which is always nice to see. So many events and not even a mention of Crystallizer of Dreams, that can't be right. Also given how good you already are at Agility, wouldn't you prefer Overpower over Manual Dexterity?

Lastly, I just haven't had great results with "Watch This!", I take it sometimes because Rogue lvl 0 economy is not great and they really need their resources, but it's usually a card I quickly swap for a Hot Streak or Easy Mark (which then further synergize with the Crystallizer). I get that it synergizes with Winnifred's ability also, so I understand keeping it here, but generally though I'd think this deck would just want more economy, going with 8 cards if possible. Having it be a cornerstone of your economy all campaign long just doesn't sound right. Lone Wolf and Emergency Cache I'd both seriously consider. And I'd really want that Hot Streak (2) asap, and probably Hot Streak (4) not long after.

The thing I don't like about Crystallizer is that it makes you want to take bad cards just because they have good icons, but after KPC_Mammon's comments I think it makes a lot of sense for Winifred. I could've probably fit it into Curtain Call at the very least and then swapped it out with Adaptable (or LCC3).

I remember feeling the same way about "Watch this!" but it honestly just works for Winifred. I tested Lone Wolf in CC and it came up pretty short, then I kind of just forgot about it, and I was still only looking for economy cards I didn't have to save up to play so Hot Streak was out.

quote:

Not going to comment too much on the scenario's as you did well and doesn't seem like you missed any tricks I know about, with the one exception of not using Adaptable to grab an "I'm out of here" for the Asylum.

First scenario of this campaign is tough but it's such a great scenario. While the campaign storytelling gimmick is very cool thematically, unfortunately going Conviction is just generally easier, so there's not much to think about once you figure that out. Burning down the house is the total no-brainer way to make the campaign easier. Would be interested in seeing someone do a full Doubt run with no burning down the house or killing any of the party guests though (including if they show up later). Would be a hell of a lot harder but also potentially you wouldn't be a mass-murdering lunatic?

You also dealt with the Man in the Pallid Mask a lot less times than I'm used to from playing this campaign. (this is probably my most often finished campaign, possibly even more often than Dunwich).

Yeah, Winifred was just constantly running on empty and couldn't really choose to take on another enemy she didn't have to, so that led to fewer Man kills. Across my testing Rex did get a few extra but not really in the proper run.

quote:

Lucky Cigarette Case (3) is very, very good, but it's also not that much better than LCC(0) that I'd be taking it over economy and ways for the deck to Do poo poo, like for example the Lockpicks and the Sharpshooter. I'd probably take those first. Speaking of Lockpicks, why was Lockpicks(0) not in the deck?

Basically Curtain Call was too tight for Wini to share the investigation load. I did have Intel Report for a while and it proved useful a few times but more often than not it sat in hand for her to commit to one of Rex's tests.

quote:

The Ankh is clever, definitely would've never thought of this myself. Really not convinced at taking Perception(2) so early. Magnifying Glass(1) also only makes sense given Indebted. Worth pointing out that I have seen quite some people grab Faustian Bargain as Rex' off-colour cards even without Indebted. So far Rex is spending almost all his experience on helping out Winnifred and dealing with his weakness. He could've been at Eon Chart (4) + Ariadne's Twine by now just speedrunning scenario's instead. Also was the lack of economy for both decks the reason to not take any tarot cards? Given how much both use their primary stats, they seem like a single copy for each could do a lot of work.

Yep, I tried the Seeker one in Curtain Call for a while but Melancholy and the other resource-killing one ruled it out and I didn't revisit it later on in the campaign. The Agility one would've been an interesting option but Wini already had Delilah and the LCC as hard mulligan targets.

quote:

Even if you want to stick with the upgrade path you chose though, I'd definitely grab The Eye of Truth before Perception(2) and Magnifying Glass(1). Another effect is that you get rid of the Fine Clothes earlier this way, which is a card which is outstaying it's welcome a bit in your run I think. I do think Copycat is a nice find though, and another card you don't see often. Shotgun and Ankh "synergy" is just awesome. Did you ever consider Backstab(3)?

Manual Dexterity(2) over economy. Just smdh.

You also go Preposterous Sketches(2) as a way to dump some leftover XP, but uhh, Cryptic Research? Imagine Perception(0) and instead of Preposterous Sketches you have 2 Cryptic Research. That has *got* to be better right?

Yeah, I think I like Eye before Perception (2) now. I didn't actually like level zero Backstab much, which probably sounds real weird in this deck, but just about every enemy's fight value was a fair bit higher than their evade value in this campaign so it proved costly in terms of commits to actually use a lot of the time (and also resources - you can deal three damage with Hatchet/Delilah and an easier test often for the same resource cost, or at least doing a fight test for three damage wasn't always obviously better than two easier hits for two each etc).

Cryptic would've been great but I was wondering where I would come up with the XP. I had rock solid faith in Perception (2) before I read this reply! I think at some point I decided it wasn't possible to make Wini's economy better, or at least I gave up on testing stuff out, which is why I looked at things like MD (2).

quote:

2x Swift Reload over another Shotgun seems not great also. There's the ordering issue and also you're taking up a whole extra deck slot this way.

Sucks that you ended up losing, and you did seem to get some bad beats at the end there, but also there's really quite a few questionable upgrade decisions you make in this that in my estimation add up to your decks just not scaling as well as they could, or indeed should to beat the late scenarios on Hard. Looking forward to you having another crack at this campaign some other time though.

I wouldn't say I was trying to purposefully avoid Seeker Good Stuff.dec but then a lot of the old staples are old staples for a reason. I've been going back and forth over the Eye in my head and I'm still not convinced it's wrong exactly, but you're right that a lot of other choices around it almost certainly are. Thanks again for the feedback!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

No problem, always like reading your reports and they must take quite some time to write, so appreciate the effort.

I think overall if you look at just how much Rex' deck is there to help Winnifred you do have to wonder if there isn't a fundamental issue with Winnifred's deck. Stones, Glyphs, Crack the Case, Eye of Truth at least partially...

Dude is carrying hard.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

Crystallizer is pretty interesting. I'm usually not a fan of the card but I can see how it would work well for her. Definitely a build-around. I wanted to take the upgraded Cheap Shot, too, but I couldn't find the XP for it.

Cheap Shot (0) and (2) has bad reviews on ArkhamDB but I've found it is a surprisingly fantastic rogue card, especially if you have either Crafty or Chuck to help pay for it. I've tried it with Winnie, Rita, and Sefina and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

Being able to evade enemies without engaging them makes the action compression significantly better than it might initially appear and as you've noted with other cards like lockpicks anything that lets you add stats together is incredible with LCC (3).

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the write-up - that was a very interesting read.

Have you considered replaying the final scenario, to see if things could have gone better? I'm not an expert on the game, so I don't really have a good feel whether the loss in final scenario was due to random chance, or the result of building decks that just couldn't perform in the end. If the treachery draws and locations went differently, was the scenario winnable? Or would it require too much luck to win?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Cheap Shot (0) and (2) has bad reviews on ArkhamDB but I've found it is a surprisingly fantastic rogue card, especially if you have either Crafty or Chuck to help pay for it. I've tried it with Winnie, Rita, and Sefina and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

A lot of level zero cards are good if you spend three or five XP to make them cheap. Sweeping kick it doesn’t recur but it’s cheaper and a better fit for Rita.

Edit: As an item, the court documents can be jury-rigged for more efficiency. Curious how that would work.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 15, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Session report. Card Pool: RCore, Starters, Dunwich.

I don't know that I have too much to report, I suspect these two encounters went exactly how veterans of AH would think they would go. Nathaniel, Winnie, and Jacqueline were on the case.

Miskatonic Museum
Winnie and Jackie again were at risk for seeing Beyond the Veil. Nathaniel just does not have what it takes to see Beyond the Veil. We ran around the museum, we hoovered up clues. Nathaniel spent a lot of time setting up, then would run over and punch the Hunting Horror. That's it. Winnie managed to barely avoid seeing Beyond the Veil (we ended the encounter with ~3-5 cards in her deck).

Essex County Express
This was a fun one, but pretty straightforward. Probably exactly as you expect. We were always barely one step ahead of the disappearing cars. We got to the engine and won. There was stuff for Nathaniel to punch every round. Thank god I (as Jackie) was packing 2x each of Rite of Seeking/Clairvoyance, that was a lot of clues to hoover. The end.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Congrats, Essex County Express is a tough scenario.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just ordered the Dream-Eaters campaign on sale. I got the starter and played it a while ago, loved the game, but never got that far into it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

And another one:

Obviously great for Carson, but also solid for Carolyn or really any Guardian who expects their allies to take combat or agility tests. I could see this being a bit of a staple.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Practiced means Roland has another target for practice makes perfect.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I think overall if you look at just how much Rex' deck is there to help Winnifred you do have to wonder if there isn't a fundamental issue with Winnifred's deck. Stones, Glyphs, Crack the Case, Eye of Truth at least partially...

Dude is carrying hard.

Yeah, when you put it like that it really puts it into perspective. All this talk has me formulating a new plan in my head which I'm going to have to road test ASAP. I did just want to comment on a few other things you said, though.

quote:

Also given how good you already are at Agility, wouldn't you prefer Overpower over Manual Dexterity?

MD for Rogues with good Agi (or OP for Guardians with good Combat etc) is such a fundamental way to play to an investigator's strengths that I'm surprised you would ask this, especially since Winifred wants to oversucceed (and draw cards). Do you ever drop Perception for Seekers? If so I'm curious as to your reasoning.

quote:

Not burning down the house would be fine if you can kill at least 2-3 of the elites, which shouldn't be a problem for a fighter with today's card pool, though having a few of them show up later can still be a huge, huge problem. But not killing any of them at all would be a real challenge. I think you'd probably have to be a Rogue? Evade/evade/evade etc with Leo or something. Definitely a job you'd have to build for.

I agree that Curtain Call is a very well designed scenario. I like it when the openers are tough, so I'm looking forward to another run through Innsmouth at some point since that was another one where I made it harder on myself (by having Sister Mary do the fighting).

quote:

Very impressed with how much use you got out of Let God Sort Them Out. I would've dismissed this card but reading your report it certainly seems to pull its weight.

I took LGSTO in Zoey once and I found it really hard to use because Guardians need to tank an enemy they can't kill in one turn either because it has too much HP or they need the additional action to play the card, but bosses were surprisingly easy for Winifred because she (and other Rogues) are so good at evading. I took a copy of Sweeping Kick for Lily in my EotE run specifically for 'tanking' bosses and it worked really well, so I can see myself trying that again in future. And I think I mentioned in the report that Delilah providing fast damage was a way to 'gain' an action on the turn you want to play LGSTO, too.

But also, each of the five bosses I used it on had a very predictable spawn point or time so you could prepare for them, which made it a lot easier to manage. It was actually one of the few solid advantages I thought she had with regards to fighting.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

Being able to evade enemies without engaging them makes the action compression significantly better than it might initially appear and as you've noted with other cards like lockpicks anything that lets you add stats together is incredible with LCC (3).

I've been saving up a rant about ArkhamDB but to be honest I don't have major issues with it, it's just that it's often hard to distinguish between good and popular, and a good chunk of the most popular deck lists seem to be designed to be click bait. I find it far more valuable to read a list designed for a specific campaign because building to the campaign is a really important aspect on Hard, but those accounts are few and far between. When I'm contemplating a new investigator I generally open a heap of deck lists and look for commonalities in the cards listed, but most of my actual 'research' is done through keyword searches in the MB discord deck channel where you can actually read discussions.

The card analyses on ArkhamDB are generally better than the deck lists but there's still a fair amount of chaff and you generally don't know if they're evaluating for Standard or Hard, which makes a difference. But again, ADB is a good resource and I don't want to dump on it, it just doesn't cater to my every whim.

12Apr1961 posted:

Thanks for the write-up - that was a very interesting read.

Have you considered replaying the final scenario, to see if things could have gone better? I'm not an expert on the game, so I don't really have a good feel whether the loss in final scenario was due to random chance, or the result of building decks that just couldn't perform in the end. If the treachery draws and locations went differently, was the scenario winnable? Or would it require too much luck to win?

Yep, I did actually play it through in a test run and beat it pretty easily, but the condition (or conceit, if you like) in my reports is that I do an ironman run, which means I don't replay any moves or whole scenarios or anything. I do this because I want to consider the entire campaign as if it were a single scenario, because I enjoy building decks and finding strategies with an eye towards consistency and minimizing overall randomness, or in other words overcoming the fundamental challenge the game presents. And I also love having to dynamically adjust things if something doesn't go according to plan, like I don't get as much XP from a scenario as I expected.

If you've ever played XCOM think of it as doing a Commander++ run (Impossible in XCOM maps pretty well to Expert in AH in that you need to play in a very 'gamey' manner to win - I enjoy doing one Impossible Ironman run in each XCOM game but my preferred mode is Commander modded to be more difficult).

Nephthys posted:

And another one:

Obviously great for Carson, but also solid for Carolyn or really any Guardian who expects their allies to take combat or agility tests. I could see this being a bit of a staple.

Yeah, I like this card. Any double Combat skill is worth a look.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are campaigns 1-2 players only?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Up to 4, but you may need either two old cores or the revised core to have enough tokens.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you'd prefer not to buy a second core, grabbing a set of colored dice is a great way to replace tokens entirely. Just use a color each for health, sanity, doom, resources and clues.

I recommend it even if you have the extra tokens, its way easier to use imo.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Love to catch up with a Kalko writeup, great stuff as always

Something did occur to me to ask though when reading this particular one, do you play with a physical chaos bag or do you use Arkham Cards or your own token generator to draw instead? The way you provide plots for token success makes me think you're relying on a non-physical source of token pulls, because in practice I find them to be two completely different experiences with respect to statistical smoothness

Fervently looking forward to when you finally get your hands on Scarlet Keys, at any rate

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Scenario 1-B of Dream Eaters went a bit sideways, but Cho and Mr. Monopoly made it out with 8 exp and only 1 trauma. When you can just wop your wad on the counter and have things get done it's pretty hilarious.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

postmodifier posted:

Love to catch up with a Kalko writeup, great stuff as always

Something did occur to me to ask though when reading this particular one, do you play with a physical chaos bag or do you use Arkham Cards or your own token generator to draw instead? The way you provide plots for token success makes me think you're relying on a non-physical source of token pulls, because in practice I find them to be two completely different experiences with respect to statistical smoothness

Fervently looking forward to when you finally get your hands on Scarlet Keys, at any rate

Thanks, glad you liked it! I use an app called Arkham Chaos Bag because I prefer swiping to physically interacting with a bag (and I also trust a random seed to produce more randomness). For the plots I use R, which is a data science programming language. It's used heavily where I work so I thought it would be a good idea to learn it, so I've been kind of casually doing that over the last year. My code is simulation-based, not purely mathematical, but with enough pulls the results are virtually indistinguishable (the plots in the Carcosa report are based on pulling about a million tokens out of a bag).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

More fuel to the Survivor recursion strategy. I guess the best use for this is to throw your Deringer/Chainsaw at people when you run out of ammo (via Act of Desperation) and then pick it back up again at full capacity without having to worry about Scavenging. The resource generation is probably secondary but a really nice bonus if you need it.

Cross-class I can see the benefits of selling off those juicy .45 Thompson's once you're done with them. Ka-ching!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 20, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That is a very cool card. Flexible economy or recursion, combos well with Short Supply, reasonable XP price. Good in most Survivor decks, and excellent in some.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Are there any expensive items with good skill icons it could combo with?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are there any expensive items with good skill icons it could combo with?

For Survivor Sledgehammer and Chainsaw are 3 combat, Fire Extinguisher (3) is 2 agility but that's about it. I think it might be mostly cross-class stuff you want to use for that combo. Guardian assets are all expensive and have good icons.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like how he’s fixing the gravedigger shovel.

It’s an insight card so Minh could take this with Foresite. For even more Minh shenanigans.

You owe me one or black market can get this to other colors who desperately lack recursion.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 20, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can Lola use it to play a different/non-neutral colour?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What’s the deal with all the EOTE cards that incentivize having multiple classes’ cards in your play area? I understand that all the EOTE characters grow into hybrid classes, but is there some other supporting mechanic to grab cross class cards from other players or something? There are a couple in previous sets, but they’re kind of edge cases, so all of these cards that tally up how many classes you have represented seem a little odd.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Most investigators can take cards from multiple classes, so you're working with a baseline of 2 classes typically. A card like Gang Up is decent-ish already at 2 classes.

There are also a ton of multi-class cards in EotE which help - especially if you're planning to build around Prophetic or Crafty or whatever, that's 3 classes represented in a single asset, which will really help boost any 'For each different class among cards you control...' cards.

Neutral investigators like Lola can also have a lot of fun with them.

Ripley fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 20, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Well, they opened up the multiclass gold cards and give you additional reasons to grab them. They are also great fodder for people playing with Bob, who can toss items around like candy.

But the best of them all is C.Fern, who is not limited at all by color as long as it heals horror. She can take three different synergy cards (join the caravan, gang up, Close the circle). She can teleport across the board, beat up an enemy, and then give herself five extra actions for two bucks and a play.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I guess I never figured about multiclass cards in that, yeah. Can they count for both or do you have to pick one?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They count for all pictured classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also remember that your Investigator card counts as a card you control in your main class, so it counts towards any synergy cards. So Carolyn doesn't need to have a Guardian asset in play to have it counted.