Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Anno posted:

Looks like Spidey will be a solid port. I guess that’s probably not a surprise now from Sony though.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1549786415378169858

does it come with the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yes it comes with the The City That Never Sleeps DLC

miles morales isn't included though, that'll be a seperate release later

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Agent355 posted:

They give me goals to accomplish that I might not do otherwise :shrug:

Stuff like 'beat chapter 1' is boring, but there are plenty of cheevos for using certain weapons or tactics, or w/e.

I remember reading something about a number of devs using achievements to track playthrough rates, dunno if that's true but I think about it every time I see a "completed chapter 1!" pop up

I'll never go more than 2.5 seconds out of my way to get an achievement but rarely there'll be an achievement where there's some information related specifically to how i've been playing that triggers a very brief and mild "oh, that's interesting" but I played enough 'watch number go up' or 'tick off this list' games during my childhood where none of that just has any appeal to me anymore.. i have enough todo lists in my life already

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anno posted:

Looks like Spidey will be a solid port. I guess that’s probably not a surprise now from Sony though.

Someone better mod in the appropriate number of fuckin puddles.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
From that Spider-man post:

quote:

In addition to PC graphical features, there are multiple peripherals and customization options With PlayStation DualSense wireless controller support, PC players will get to experience adaptive trigger feedback and amazing haptic response while battling iconic Marvel villains

Does this mean that they got haptics working on PC over wireless with the DualSense? Very interesting. As far as I know, up until now, even in PC games that support it those features only work while wired because of some weird proprietary bluetooth tech the PS5 was using

edit: Oh, lol, guess not -- from the bottom of the post:

quote:

**Use wired connection to experience full set of DualSense controller features in game.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Installed and played through A Plague Tale: Innocence on a whim over the last week. It was kind of chilling there as I think I got it for free on the Epic store a while back.

I finished the game last night, watched the gameplay trailer for Requiem coming out in October and it has instantly shot to the top of my most anticipated games. When Arkane closes a door on Dishonored, Asobo is opening up this promising window that I hope can live up to its potential here. Innocence has like... a single chapter where you have all the tools and the level is flexible enough that you can approach encounters in different manners, but if that becomes the starting point for the 2nd game and the level design opens up a bit, the sky is the limit.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Shmup fans!

Raiden IV: Overkill is leaving Steam on July 26

quote:

With our publishing deal expired, we will be selling the game until July 26, 2022.
Existing owners who have purchased Raiden IV: OverKill before the expiration date will be able to play the game permanently.

Thank you so much for your interest in Raiden IV: OverKill.
It doesn't look like any of the other Raiden games are affected.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Sab669 posted:

I will never understand the appeal of achievements :v:

For me, I only do them if I like the game already. More or less, the developers have left them there as saying that this is the 100% experience of their creation, and it is a neat bookmark for me to stop playing/replaying and move onto new experiences.

Nonetheless, the only achievements I have really enjoyed is Stanley Parable's because some are narrative driven or meta about it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zil posted:

Number go up = brain release happy chemicals

:hmmyes:

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I liked the achievements in Mass Effect because they gave you little buffs and such.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
For all of the (deserved) flack Ubisoft gets, I do like that their achievement system gives points that can be used to unlock stuff in-game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wintermutant posted:

For all of the (deserved) flack Ubisoft gets, I do like that their achievement system gives points that can be used to unlock stuff in-game

They removed that system already, because it's a poo poo system.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, they retired the old uPlay/Club stuff but can’t you still redeem some rewards in newer games (Valhalla, Legion, Riders Republic) for Ubisoft coins or whatever they call it?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anno posted:

welp, my 3600 is starting to show its age.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Yes, they retired the old uPlay/Club stuff but can’t you still redeem some rewards in newer games (Valhalla, Legion, Riders Republic) for Ubisoft coins or whatever they call it?

I double checked and yeah, it seems like a couple of games still have that, except they don't give you ubicoins for cheevos, so I have no idea how you're supposed to get them.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

I double checked and yeah, it seems like a couple of games still have that, except they don't give you ubicoins for cheevos, so I have no idea how you're supposed to get them.

Looks like they just added another layer to it. Achievements no longer give points directly, instead giving you profile XP, which then grants the points when you level up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wintermutant posted:

Looks like they just added another layer to it. Achievements no longer give points directly, instead giving you profile XP, which then grants the points when you level up.

I love it when acquiring a game and it's content is a game in itself. Isn't that fun?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It makes me sick when I have to pay 9999 coins to unlock the skeleton costume in Mario Odyssey

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I liked the old Uplay points system because I had an excess of points due to too many Assassins Creed games. It was nice unlocking everything before even launching a game. Then Ubi added an expiry date and ultimately did away with them.

Ubisoft games were the only games I actively pursued achievements for the actual in-game benefits.

I guess I also Platinum-ed (100% on Playstation) Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman but that was because I was having so much fun and then I looked at the achievements....welp! :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

It makes me sick when I have to pay 9999 coins to unlock the skeleton costume in Mario Odyssey

How much do you have to level your Nintendo Online Services account to get that?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sab669 posted:

I do like showing off achievements on my steam profile if I 100% a game. For me it sends off the message “he really liked this game!” and it’s a little source of pride that I pretty much explored all there was underneath.

I do this within reason, however. The time investment has to be reasonable relative to how long the game is and the achievements should be in the service of fun and exploration, not tedium.

The only open world game I got all the achievements on was Death Stranding, and that was pushing it. Achievements tend to be a bit more realistic and attainable in platformers, like the Crash and Spyro remasters

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I have achievements from Marvel Heroes in my steam profile showcase :smith:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Diephoon posted:

I have achievements from Marvel Heroes in my steam profile showcase :smith:

I will never remove the Marvel Heroes achievements from my showcase.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wish the Steam rarest achievement showcase would let you pick what you put on there instead of just automatically doing it by rarity. My rarest Steam achievements are mostly from Quake because they converted it to the remaster and added achievements after everyone had already owned and played it for like 14 years, so the rarity metrics are based on who has ever played it, not just people who have played it since they added achievements.

edit: wtf there is an achievement showcase that isn't just rarest?? Has that always existed? I am a fool

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Volte posted:

edit: wtf there is an achievement showcase that isn't just rarest?? Has that always existed? I am a fool
Yes, that has always existed. You can even have multiple of them if your level is high enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seeing how awful the Mako is on Mass Effect and involuntarily comparing it to my memories of Interstate '76 and... Has there been any game that has done that type of gameplay right in the last 20 or so years? Interstate '82 was a franchise killing flop, but I am drawing blanks on other vehicular combat titles on PC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Seeing how awful the Mako is on Mass Effect and involuntarily comparing it to my memories of Interstate '76 and... Has there been any game that has done that type of gameplay right in the last 20 or so years? Interstate '82 was a franchise killing flop, but I am drawing blanks on other vehicular combat titles on PC.

does Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising count

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hwurmp posted:

does Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising count

I've never played it, but it's a good reminder because I've been meaning to check it out for literally 20 years.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ZearothK posted:

Carmageddon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZearothK posted:

Seeing how awful the Mako is on Mass Effect
you are incorrect and/or bad at video games, Sir

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I've never played it, but it's a good reminder because I've been meaning to check it out for literally 20 years.

The storyline is even more on-the-nose now than when it came out 20 years ago. Also if you're a fan of 80s BBC sci-fi most of the cast is from Doctor Who/Blake's 7

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I never found the Mako that bad. I mean it doesn't drive *well* but I never remember it loving up my experience, I just enjoyed driving the stupid bouncy moon buggy. I dunno.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

HopperUK posted:

I never found the Mako that bad. I mean it doesn't drive *well* but I never remember it loving up my experience, I just enjoyed driving the stupid bouncy moon buggy. I dunno.

The jank was part of the charm. And I appreciated the unintentional comedy that came along with trying to bounce/wedge it into locations on the map that it had no business being in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mako was just a jankier warthog, if you could drive one you could probably drive the other

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sab669 posted:

I really like the ones that challenge you with trying new ways to play the game. It gets real boring seeing another DLC drop with collect 5 different bare asses.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Mako was alright, it was the fact you dropped on jagged mountains most of the time was the problem.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZearothK posted:

Arkham Knight is really good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fart of Presto posted:

Shmup fans!

Raiden IV: Overkill is leaving Steam on July 26

Oh man, they couldn't have said so during the summer sale?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best thing about achievements is the little personal memories they create like how it took me just shy of a year between my first death and ringing the 2 bells in dark souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh man, they couldn't have said so during the summer sale?

Of course not, you might've bought it at a discount.