Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
"Horror" is too broad a categorization to really compare classics, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i mean of just straight up horror directors (so not including hitchcock, lynch, polanski, etc) you've got like carpenter, craven, cronenberg, raimi, argento, romero, tobe hooper, kiyoshi kurosawa, mario bava, fulci and prob a good # more i'm forgetting before you get to peele

idk if peele is even really a "horror director" tho anyway

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think people were cooler on Us than Get Out as it didn't offer so much masochistic whiteness for the audience to say "but I'm better than that" to

Even though Us was about class (cspam alert) and had Lupita doing like the scariest female monster voice ever put to tape

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Horror is great because its the only genre where great ideas win. bad lighting, no talent actors, no celebrity, bad dialogue whatever. It can still be a great film.

Possession
A Vanishing (1988)
Rosemary's baby

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

I mean like untouchably good, even people who hate the genre have to admit yeah that's good poo poo.

The exorcist
Eraserhead
Hellraiser maybe

Is silence of the lambs horror? or just thriller.

Terminator imo

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
neal breen and m night shyamalan should make a movie together. co-direct and co-write

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i mean of just straight up horror directors (so not including hitchcock, lynch, polanski, etc) you've got like carpenter, craven, cronenberg, raimi, argento, romero, tobe hooper, kiyoshi kurosawa, mario bava, fulci and prob a good # more i'm forgetting before you get to peele

idk if peele is even really a "horror director" tho anyway

korea and japan do good horror. and Thailand actually, but the ones I saw are more horror/comedy

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
evil dead
evil dead 2
crimewave

checks out, crimewave is the greatest horror known to man.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Antonymous posted:

I mean like untouchably good, even people who hate the genre have to admit yeah that's good poo poo.

The exorcist
Eraserhead
Hellraiser maybe

smh for leaving off the goat the texas chainsaw massacre

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Antonymous posted:

Horror is great because its the only genre where great ideas win. bad lighting, no talent actors, no celebrity, bad dialogue whatever. It can still be a great film.

Possession
A Vanishing (1988)
Rosemary's baby

i like that you listed three movies which have exceptionally good lighting, actors, celebrity, dialogue lol

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
horror has a lot of parallels with hip-hop. they're both extremely broad genres with hugely varying levels of production quality and budget, they both have extremely dedicated hardcore fans, etc.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

horror has a lot of parallels with hip-hop. they're both extremely broad genres with hugely varying levels of production quality and budget, they both have extremely dedicated hardcore fans, etc.

movies do be like music sometimes

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Antonymous posted:

The exorcist
Eraserhead
Hellraiser maybe

It's about a cannibal serial killer who has to wear a freaky looking mask to prevent him from biting people and also another serial killer who kidnaps women and keeps them in his basement and then kills them and skins them in order to make a womensuit what genre do you think it is motherfucker? Also it's technically a sequel to Manhunter(before they later made a shittier adaptation with Red Dragon and made that the prequel) so it's like the only time a horror sequel ever even won or ever will win an oscar let alone swept them.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Christmas Evil is a great horror film, one of the best Christmas movies ever made and has the most absolutely perfect ending ever put to film.

It's also in the running for most misleading title of any movie ever, as it's slow, moody character study with very little action instead of the 80s B schlock it sounds like.

That said, horror is too broad a label to have a single best movie, there are tons that own for entirely different reasons.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

is that the only thing in the building is murders, or that these are the only murders in the building and there are no others?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would assume the former

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

I think people were cooler on Us than Get Out as it didn't offer so much masochistic whiteness for the audience to say "but I'm better than that" to

Even though Us was about class (cspam alert) and had Lupita doing like the scariest female monster voice ever put to tape

yea I don't know how many people think Us isn't at least on par with Get Out but I do kinda lowkey think for the critics a lot of it was indeed the 'ah heh, yea, I like Get Out, I get it' factor being different and boy do media critics hate class analysis compared to other identities.

Haven't seen Nope yet but it seems...interesting? Peele is for sure a dude who's work I'd call 'interesting' in a 100% genuine and not snarky way, I enjoy seeing what he does even if I don't always think the product itself is fantastic.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I wanna see NOPE, trying to decide if I wanna risk the covid box for it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

after two good movies, i will now watch anything with Peele's name on it. Currently thinking of ways I can convince some of my friends to go see Nope with me

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
It'll be good. Going to watch it in a crowded theater that serves food and beer. and people frequently yell at the screen and one another during a movie. Good times

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

papa horny michael posted:

i like that you listed three movies which have exceptionally good lighting, actors, celebrity, dialogue lol

yah ok but

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Nope is a bad title imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It'll be good. Going to watch it in a crowded theater that serves food and beer.

uhhh, you do know there's a pandemic going on?

and people frequently yell at the screen and one another during a movie. Good times

spreading covid merrily

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

horror is the best genre since it can be tough to actually define and a lot of movies that arent nominally "horror" films can be argued as such since they invoked the appropriate emotions in the viewer such as dread, fear, revulsion, or tension

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

WampaLord posted:

uhhh, you do know there's a pandemic going on?

spreading covid merrily

The movie and virus will be Mild.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't know how many people think Us isn't at least on par with Get Out but I do kinda lowkey think for the critics a lot of it was indeed the 'ah heh, yea, I like Get Out, I get it' factor being different and boy do media critics hate class analysis compared to other identities.

Haven't seen Nope yet but it seems...interesting? Peele is for sure a dude who's work I'd call 'interesting' in a 100% genuine and not snarky way, I enjoy seeing what he does even if I don't always think the product itself is fantastic.

To its credit Us was much more ambitious in its concept and execution, which worked in its favor a lot of the time. IIRC this also led to having to explain a lot of the story to the audience in the third act which ended up feeling a little awkward. I think part of the issue is also that Peele has a tendency to make sure that everyone in the audience walks away understanding the theme of the movie, so rather than leaving certain elements unanswered/ambiguous and letting the viewer draw their own inferences he devotes a lot of screen time to didactically over-explaining the symbolism.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Christmas Evil is a great horror film, one of the best Christmas movies ever made and has the most absolutely perfect ending ever put to film.

It's also in the running for most misleading title of any movie ever, as it's slow, moody character study with very little action instead of the 80s B schlock it sounds like.

is it a prequel to New Year’s Evil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a retelling in a parallel timeline to Hanukkah Evil a la Ender's Shadow

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

TheSlutPit posted:

To its credit Us was much more ambitious in its concept and execution, which worked in its favor a lot of the time. IIRC this also led to having to explain a lot of the story to the audience in the third act which ended up feeling a little awkward. I think part of the issue is also that Peele has a tendency to make sure that everyone in the audience walks away understanding the theme of the movie, so rather than leaving certain elements unanswered/ambiguous and letting the viewer draw their own inferences he devotes a lot of screen time to didactically over-explaining the symbolism.

it came across as blatant studio interference imo but maybe im just giving peele too much credit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

it's a retelling in a parallel timeline to Hanukkah Evil a la Ender's Shadow

are the Shadow books actually about Judaism, that’s something I could see him doing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the best horror stuff right now is all from mike flanagan imo

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

it came across as blatant studio interference imo but maybe im just giving peele too much credit

I think it's just his way, for better or ill. Like there isn't much difference between his directing and writing on sketches from K&P from that displayed in his movies and what theslutpit said.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think it's just his way, for better or ill. Like there isn't much difference between his directing and writing on sketches from K&P from that displayed in his movies and what theslutpit said.

someone earlier mentioned critics liking Get Out so much cause they felt like they “got it” which is a good observation, and probably applies to this aspect of his filmmaking. if your movie has your audience thinking they’re smart - gets them to feel good about themselves - for picking up on symbolism, they’ll probably be a lot more vocal and passionate about the movie. idk if that’s why he does it, but making sure the audience is in on everything so they can discuss it on a different level than they’re used to is a pretty good technique to build your stan army (even if it feels overexplained at times)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

nothing wrong with beating the audience with the point over and over. subtlety is overrated

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

babypolis posted:

nothing wrong with beating the audience with the point over and over. subtlety is overrated

i agree but that isnt really what he did, it was just a plot explainer that felt out of place and sucked all the mystery out of it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mameluke posted:

idk tim heidecker's family in it was much more cartoonishly & obnoxiously ~white~ (and v funny!) but i just don't think it all worked that well

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yea maybe it's a bit of fan blinders but having multiple scenes where a character literally just explains the plot to the camera felt more like the studios going 'but...will they GET it?' than anything

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

babypolis posted:

I agree with this, especially in the horror genre where many of the best movies are ridiculously unsubtle. I just think you have to make a trade between an ambitious, convoluted plot and obvious themes else you end up having to explain things to the audience to make sure they get it. Get Out was no more subtle but the plot was simple enough that the natural exposition was sufficient to drive the symbolism home imo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

Nathan Fielder is the most effective horror director working today.

https://twitter.com/emma_chapple/status/1549561812361805825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cannibal Llama posted:

It's about a cannibal serial killer who has to wear a freaky looking mask to prevent him from biting people and also another serial killer who kidnaps women and keeps them in his basement and then kills them and skins them in order to make a womensuit what genre do you think it is motherfucker? Also it's technically a sequel to Manhunter(before they later made a shittier adaptation with Red Dragon and made that the prequel) so it's like the only time a horror sequel ever even won or ever will win an oscar let alone swept them.

LGBT Romance, it has Hannibal in it

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk tim heidecker's family in it was much more cartoonishly & obnoxiously ~white~ (and v funny!) but i just don't think it all worked that well

Exactly, they were easily and alienatingly hateable, not giving audiences the moment of "Oh my god, I'm actually not like Alison Williams at all! She's just another bigot!"

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Jul 20, 2022