Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hmmm, seems OK in some places, not good in others. The trailer is very tunnel-visioned on the succession. Hopefully, not every scene is gonna be "Who is the heir??!?!? But there will be war, no women heirs!".

I'd love to see some minor house main characters in the Game of Thrones universe. The Tell Tale game was interesting because it was just some random Stark banner house just trying to survive the upheaval around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Well at least it looks better than Amazon's The Rings of Power: A Lord of the Rings Story

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if we’re going to see Aemond losing his eye or if the show is going to start in media res.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if we’re going to see Aemond losing his eye or if the show is going to start in media res.

I'm not sure if Aemond is even born yet.

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, he's in the trailer.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 20, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Still pretty ambivalent about this, but that was a decent trailer.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I see HBO splurged on the Dragon Armor DLC.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They're really making sure people know there's gonna be dragons in this new GoT. I don't think more than 4 seconds went by without a gratuitous dragon shot.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
oof the trailer completely fails to convince me that the show won't feature last seasons syndrome. That's a lot of talking heads and uninspiring one on one fights, and cgi dragons.

It's probably useful to compare and contrast with Game Of Thrones' first extended trailer, there's a lot more variety in location, tone and character motivation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhGf1s

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

fez_machine posted:

oof the trailer completely fails to convince me that the show won't feature last seasons syndrome. That's a lot of talking heads and uninspiring one on one fights, and cgi dragons.

It's probably useful to compare and contrast with Game Of Thrones' first extended trailer, there's a lot more variety in location, tone and character motivation

There's more variety of locations because that's just true of the story (I doubt HotD has much reason to go to the Wall, or the North in general.) But I honestly think you're coming at the GoT trailer with rose-colored glasses. The early seasons were good, and you know who everyone is already, so of course you're seeing all those nuances in the old trailer.

I don't know if the new show will be any good, but part of the uphill battle is how thoroughly burned everyone felt after S8. The writing team is different for HotD, with the gift of hindsight for how late-GoT turned into rear end, but it can't help retreading familiar territory in aesthetics, plots, or characters. I honestly think GoT's early success was because of how novel that story felt circa 2011: it was medieval fantasy but with characters who behaved like real people, in a setting with clear repercussions for actions, where nobody had plot armor, all centered around a complex power structure with few clear heroes or villains.

Now, lots of shows have tried / are trying to be GoT, and GoT's own legacy has been well-poisoned. This show might be just as "good," but may suffer from a seismic shift in the zeitgeist since the original started.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

More Dragons, More Better.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

There's more variety of locations because that's just true of the story (I doubt HotD has much reason to go to the Wall, or the North in general.) But I honestly think you're coming at the GoT trailer with rose-colored glasses. The early seasons were good, and you know who everyone is already, so of course you're seeing all those nuances in the old trailer.

As people have already said

PostNouveau posted:

The trailer is very tunnel-visioned on the succession. Hopefully, not every scene is gonna be "Who is the heir??!?!? But there will be war, no women heirs!".

The original Game of Thrones trailer doesn't even mention the Iron Throne, instead we get a variety of motivations from a few central characters and the mystery of the white walkers. The House of Dragon trailers feels like those GoT inspired shows that kept the politics and sex but dumped the fantasy which sprung up over the decade.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Man I want to feel excited for this one, but... yay, another fight over the iron throne. And look, another platinum blonde lady riding a dragon, haven't seen that before. I mean, I get it, they're playing to the franchise's strengths, or trying to anyways. More intrigue, more scheming, more people climbing over each other to acquire power, more dragons... it feels like they're trying to make a greatest hits album instead of something new. It's like they're trying to re-use leftover "who will win the iron throne?" promo material after the last "winner" couldn't use it because it wasn't on wheels (also melted).

I know they won't because you don't bite the hand that feeds you, but I'd be more willing to give it a shot if the folks making this would have the guts to say "yeah the other guys hosed up the original series, we're going to do better." The best I've seen is a passing acknowledgement that the last season was divisive, without even attempting to address what was divisive about it or what they are going to do different this time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Ultimately, while the characters should care about who sits on the Iron Throne, the show should not. The trailer isn't giving me much confidence.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm not familiar with the lore of this time period. How many of the Targs portrayed in this are apeshit crazy?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MrMojok posted:

I'm not familiar with the lore of this time period. How many of the Targs portrayed in this are apeshit crazy?

Depends on if someone starts ringing the bells.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

fez_machine posted:

The original Game of Thrones trailer doesn't even mention the Iron Throne, instead we get a variety of motivations from a few central characters and the mystery of the white walkers. The House of Dragon trailers feels like those GoT inspired shows that kept the politics and sex but dumped the fantasy which sprung up over the decade.

I mean, there are dragons. So, it is very much still a fantasy story.

All I'm saying is, I'm not about to judge the show holistically based on this trailer, which mostly functions to remind viewers of how the court intrigue parts of GoT felt. The actual show might be way more nuanced or interesting, or it might feel like a filed-down and unambitious shadow. Either are possible.

But I also think, regardless of its quality, it's a diminishing return. You can't alienate that much of the audience for the original and expect the spinoff to come close to that level of popularity. Even if HotD is amazing, millions of viewers are going to write it off on impulse, and they're not wrong to feel that way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vichan posted:

I'm not sure if Aemond is even born yet.

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, he's in the trailer.

It’s an easy mistake to make since every Targaryen just takes the same 3 names and throws the letters up in the air when choosing their kids’ names.

Like, if the show sticks to Fire & Blood its going to start with Aegon II on the throne and will end with Aegon III ascending to the crown, even tho he’s not Aegon II’s heir but his nephew, who is wed to Aegon II’s daughter, Jaehaera, to end the Targ civil war. I read the drat book and even I’m confused at what the gently caress I just wrote.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ruddiger posted:

It’s an easy mistake to make since every Targaryen just takes the same 3 names and throws the letters up in the air when choosing their kids’ names.

Like, if the show sticks to Fire & Blood its going to start with Aegon II on the throne and will end with Aegon III ascending to the crown, even tho he’s not Aegon II’s heir but his nephew, who is wed to Aegon II’s daughter, Jaehaera, to end the Targ civil war. I read the drat book and even I’m confused at what the gently caress I just wrote.

If it sticks to the same plan as GOT, that'll be the end of season 4, at which point Fire & Blood part 2 will still be unfinished. Then the show will go to poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fez_machine posted:

As people have already said

The first teaser for the show featured the throne very prominently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqRmcsWqac

As a sidenote, I hope medieval covers of modern songs is going to be a thing in the show.

ruddiger posted:

That was very much a thing in heavily inbred royal dynasty. In the ptolemaic dynasty for example all the boys were called Ptolemy and girls were either called Arsinoe, Berenice or Cleopatra.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 21, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

I know they won't because you don't bite the hand that feeds you, but I'd be more willing to give it a shot if the folks making this would have the guts to say "yeah the other guys hosed up the original series, we're going to do better." The best I've seen is a passing acknowledgement that the last season was divisive, without even attempting to address what was divisive about it or what they are going to do different this time.

The last season was ostensibly "good" though, because despite bringing so much criticism from audiences, it received so many critical nominations and accolades including the Emmy for Best Drama. Which I think still think is hilarious, revealing just how truly fixed and meaningless those awards really are. Even funnier that everyone involved is still choosing to tip toe around the elephant in the room.

If the new shows end up as toothless as they look and as uninspired as the ideas sound, HBO execs will probably be wishing people were more forthright with the sunk cost of the franchise.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

They probably just liked it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Shits gonna blow

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pedro De Heredia posted:

They probably just liked it.

not possible

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I hope all the dragon fights are just offscreen with characters commenting on it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh yeah, things that were kind of cool at the time but pretty stupid in hindsight, the Night King murdering a dragon in flight with a drat ice javelin. He and the zombie dragon (demolishing an entire fortified wall/mountainside) were made to be so overpowered before the actual Battle of Winterfell, they just kind of forgot before they were killed by Arya.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

iamsosmrt posted:

Oh yeah, things that were kind of cool at the time but pretty stupid in hindsight, the Night King murdering a dragon in flight with a drat ice javelin. He and the zombie dragon (demolishing an entire fortified wall/mountainside) were made to be so overpowered before the actual Battle of Winterfell, they just kind of forgot before they were killed by Arya.

Don't forget sneak attack ballistas that only work off screen and not when you have 50 of them pointed at a sitting still target.

Which was dumber, the long night or the sacking of king's landing? On one hand we have the Cold Miser getting shivved by a ninja waifu, on the other we have Cersei going "no u" when anyone tells her she's being a loving idiot.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 21, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

on the other we have Cersei going "no u" when anyone tells her she's being a loving idiot.

That's very on brand for her though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They seem like they're really leaning into Yas Dragon Queen with Rhanyra... Rhaenys... gently caress not even the turbonerds are gonna be keeping the characters straight.

It's 20 white bearded guys syndrome all over again, but they all have blonde wigs and one of three names

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

bobjr posted:

I hope all the dragon fights are just offscreen with characters commenting on it.

Same. Shows tend to be better when they ignore the action, barring extreme circumstances, and focus more on the implications of those actions.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

and considering how the book ends this is either going to end with them going seriously off script or ANOTHER doing girlboss hitler prank ending again

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
In godzilla movies, I can't stand the annoying white people and want the big fire breathing dragon to blow poo poo up. In this show, I want the complete opposite. Who would have ever thought that we would be disappointed to see big rear end dragons in a fantasy show?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the dragon poo poo is the expected result of handing the project off to a showrunner whose resume is 50% comprised of a failed godzilla ripoff based on a forgotten gaming IP wherein dwayne the rock johnson befriends a giant ape. they knew people liked dragons, they wanted to make a show about the book where the dragons fight a lot, so they handed it to the most kaiju-adjacent creative mind they could enslave

if you thought disney's pandering to "things we know and like" was bad just wait til you see HBO, freshly scorned after putting its full trust in the hand of two absolute loving doofuses and desperate to establish a legacy IP

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they should make a video game where you're a dragon and you climb up on castles and punch the castles til they fall over. fly around breathing fire and eating peasants, things of that nature.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They did it was called Lair and it was a ps3 launch game

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

uber_stoat posted:

they should make a video game where you're a dragon and you climb up on castles and punch the castles til they fall over. fly around breathing fire and eating peasants, things of that nature.

Or at least that lets you burninate the villagers in the thatched roof cottages.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They did it was called Lair and it was a ps3 launch game

I wonder if that game plays better on an emulator. They fixed the controls eventually, but I still ran at like 13fps.

There's also a f2p pvp dragon dogfighting game called Century: Age of Ash.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pennsylvanian posted:

Century: Age of Ash.

Why not just call it Age of Ash. Century is a meaningless title.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i figured a good title for it would be Game of Thrones: Dragon Rampage. you can buy a little hat for your dragon.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Targaryen’s should have dressed up their dragons more, maybe they wouldn’t have all died then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dragons freezing their balls off for generations, getting more sickly, trying and failing to adapt to a foreign climate. Someone finally takes some eggs near their native habitat and suddenly dragons hatch again for the first time in so many years.

Must be magic.