Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Yes it's me I've been a sleeper account shill for the meat industry for the last twenty years I've been found out in a post where I'm ... promoting soy products oh no :confuoot:

I'm not calling you a shill. I'm not saying meat is the best. I'm just calling out the misinformation that you spread. I believed it at one point as well. There's no harm in going "huh, I guess I was wrong". But your comment spreads the idea that soy consumption is linked to some sort of estrogen problem. It isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

if only it were that easy :negative:

Yeah, unfortunately for my trans women and transfemme peeps, the only real effect it seems to have if MASSIVE quantities are consumed is maybe your swimmers don't swim too good anymore, but that's still not quite completely proven yet afaik. Probably a poo poo ton cheaper to buy soy milk in bulk than estrogen pills.

Does mean I can eat all the tofu I want as a trans man, though. Which is....a shockingly large amount of tofu, all things considered.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Tofu owns.

Edit: parenting thread so my kid agrees that tofu owns

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The bars are one bar a serving. Better than real ice-cream at least. Fills her up and isn't just pure sugar. We limit them and she only eats one a day if that. What concerns me is eating an entire bag of frozen grapes in one day and then when I get more from the store the next day I'm given "Yuck. I HATE GRAPES!"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

It's 1am atm and we've been playing a rousing game of "dude why did you randomly wake up shouting and why won't you go back to sleep" with our 2.5yo son.

He is, of course, winning.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
4 day vacation is officially over. We survived, albeit with plenty of tantrums. Probably because food is hard while traveling and I think my poor kid was hungry despite the endless empty snacks offered during the 8 hour drive. Maybe one day it’ll click for her that refusing to eat while you’re hungry only makes things worse!

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I have COVID and feel like crap. My 3 year old has fully recovered but by policy isn’t allowed back to preschool until Thursday, covid tests willing. Oh boy this is hard. She just wants to run and play and I just want to curl in a ball and fade into oblivion.

Hoping my 16 month old doesn’t test positive.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

My 4yo son wont eat meat at all. At one point a couple years ago we could get him to eat bits of hot dog but not any more. No chicken; no beef. He actively refuses even things like dinosaur nuggets. He claimed once that he wanted to try fish but when we actually got some for him it was a big lol nevemind.

He lives on pasta, cheese, bread, and fruit. Those seem healthy enough so we pretty much roll with it.

This is largely the diet of my 21 month old. She’ll also eat cereal, crackers, oatmeal, peanut butter, apple sweet potato oat bars, rice and the occasional few bites of vegetables. It’s really hit or miss what she’ll eat though. One day she’ll love mushrooms and the next day she refuses to touch them. 🤷🏼‍♀️ One of her favourite foods is watermelon and I’ve learned I need to cut it into tiny chunks because the watermelon stains on all her clothes are nearly impossible to get out. Small pieces means less dripping.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, unfortunately for my trans women and transfemme peeps, the only real effect it seems to have if MASSIVE quantities are consumed is maybe your swimmers don't swim too good anymore, but that's still not quite completely proven yet afaik. Probably a poo poo ton cheaper to buy soy milk in bulk than estrogen pills.

Does mean I can eat all the tofu I want as a trans man, though. Which is....a shockingly large amount of tofu, all things considered.

I have to be careful about soy because it will gently caress with my thyroid medication if I have it regularly. I can still treat myself to some deep fried tofu on occasion, but soy can’t be a regular part of my diet. :/

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Omg my son rode a pony at daycare today!! They sent me a video and he looks so happy :3:

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Number of times my family has had Covid: 0. My toddler gets tested weekly so I’m pretty sure of this.

Number of times my fully-vaccinated toddler has had flu, pneumonia, RSV, hand foot and mouth, stomach bugs, asthma attacks, allergies, and low oxygen numbers: once a month since birth. The poor guy can’t catch a break, even at 3 he’s in urgent care more than his baby brother. It breaks my heart and I can’t help but wonder if something else is going on.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Welp, my son is officially 18 as of yesterday. We had a good time at mini golf.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My two year old has decided that waking up at 6:30 is for lazy slobs and started getting up between 4:30 and 5:30 this week. We can convince him to play by himself in his room for like 15 minutes but he’s too restless to stay in there for an hour. I can feel my life force draining.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Welp, my son is officially 18 as of yesterday. We had a good time at mini golf.

Congrats, you survived childhood! I can't even imagine having an 18-year-old. 16 years to go. Fingers crossed I won't have to convince her to brush her teeth by watching Elmo videos by then.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Eggnogium posted:

My two year old has decided that waking up at 6:30 is for lazy slobs and started getting up between 4:30 and 5:30 this week. We can convince him to play by himself in his room for like 15 minutes but he’s too restless to stay in there for an hour. I can feel my life force draining.

Around 2.5 years we introduced an ok-to-wake clock and it made a huge difference with this kind of nonsense. I’m not sure we could’ve gotten away with it closer to 2, but definitely keep it in mind once you feel like they’ll be old enough to hold the instructions in mind.

Went from 5:00 ‘ready to play and everyone will know it’ to 5:59 ‘light isn’t on so I guess I should wait in bed’ pretty immediately. She also just got more sleep because she’d go back to sleep when she woke up early rather than trying to get up.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We have one of those Hatch Rest+ sound machines that we initially had to turn the display clock off on because our son is a lunatic and wouldn't go to sleep because he'd just announce the minutes ticking by into the night.

He grew out of that since I guess it wasn't novel any more and we ended up turning the clock back on as a please stay in bed until at least 6:30 type of arrangement. Mixed results there but mostly good. He only wakes us up at 4-5am once a week now.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Does anyone have any good book references on healthy eating habits for kids? I'm not sure if mine has food anxiety or what, she's a little overweight and does eat actual healthy meals (she will have salads and eat vegetables and fruit). Despite being 7, trying to figure out how to right the ship. I know her grandparents spoil her on borderline junkfood (lots of sugar oil far) when they see her.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does anyone have any good book references on healthy eating habits for kids? I'm not sure if mine has food anxiety or what, she's a little overweight and does eat actual healthy meals (she will have salads and eat vegetables and fruit). Despite being 7, trying to figure out how to right the ship. I know her grandparents spoil her on borderline junkfood (lots of sugar oil far) when they see her.

I liked Red Light Green Light Eat Right.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

BadSamaritan posted:

Around 2.5 years we introduced an ok-to-wake clock and it made a huge difference with this kind of nonsense. I’m not sure we could’ve gotten away with it closer to 2, but definitely keep it in mind once you feel like they’ll be old enough to hold the instructions in mind.

Went from 5:00 ‘ready to play and everyone will know it’ to 5:59 ‘light isn’t on so I guess I should wait in bed’ pretty immediately. She also just got more sleep because she’d go back to sleep when she woke up early rather than trying to get up.

We have one of those and he understands it but I just think one hour is too much for him.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
While we have suspected for awhile that our son is on the spectrum we got the official diagnosis today and it's making me feel a lot of ways. I apologize for asking here but is there an Autism support thread or anything like that?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

While we have suspected for awhile that our son is on the spectrum we got the official diagnosis today and it's making me feel a lot of ways. I apologize for asking here but is there an Autism support thread or anything like that?

There is the autism adult thread that I know of (and have posted in).

But I feel you. My son was diagnosed at around five years old (long ago enough that they were still all considered separate disorders rather than a spectrum), and it was something, even having already known something was up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There are one to two posts about it a week here, but a dedicated thread might get more traffic. I see the posts but I suspect a lot of people, including myself don't know how/what to respond so they go unanswered

Goons seem to be reproducing at an increasing rate, I wouldn't be opposed to a dedicated thread

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
We're doing the diagnostic test next month, but we're pretty certain our two year old is on the spectrum. That first realization a few months back was a rollercoaster.

Learning about what autism actually is versus what I thought it was was a big help

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We are having a loving day. My 14 month old fell down on her face at music class this am and had a small bump on her forehead, was pretty crabby all day, husband's car broke down coming home, and then after the baby's bath she fell backwards and bonked her head on a tile floor that had a thin towel on it. There is however no bump, and she cried only very briefly before calming down and nursing and then was generally alert (although very crabby) before bedtime. No other concussion symptoms like vomiting or blood or anything. She's sleeping normally right now but of course I'm trying not to panic about whether I should go to the Dr or not for the 5th time this week.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don’t remember what book we got it from, but the best advice we give to our kids is ‘stop eating if you’re full, please don’t hurt your tummy.’ and ‘if you’re not hungry, don’t eat’. It seems to reassure them? Because when they’re little sometimes it’s easy to accidentally put pressure on them to eat because it’s socially appropriate or an adult thinks they should, rather than listening to what their body actually needs?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is she very active? There are of course kids that over/under eat, but it is often activity levels that are to blame. They can and really should pack in those calories (try and stay away from sugar, processed foods, ect.), but if they are not active... Fortunately this can be rectified with leading by example and going out for walks, bicycling, playgrounds, climbing things with her. If you are stuck inside because of weather or something Youtube has some good kid exercise videos, but unless I am doing it with my kids they tend to just sit down and watch them instead of participating.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 9 year old's therapist is recommending we get him a full psychological test to see if he might be on the spectrum. He's been his therapist for 2 years now so if he sees something, there might be something there.

A lot of adults on the spectrum go through the program I teach. Kind of looking at it, I could see him being high functioning.
I've even bought him socks designed for kids on the spectrum in the past because he hates how sock seams feel on his feet.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 21, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The twins start kindergarten in a week. No more paying double for daycare/preschool! :getin:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

Is she very active? There are of course kids that over/under eat, but it is often activity levels that are to blame. They can and really should pack in those calories (try and stay away from sugar, processed foods, ect.), but if they are not active... Fortunately this can be rectified with leading by example and going out for walks, bicycling, playgrounds, climbing things with her. If you are stuck inside because of weather or something Youtube has some good kid exercise videos, but unless I am doing it with my kids they tend to just sit down and watch them instead of participating.

She's an extremely high energy 7 year old. She will play for 2-3+ hours straight, have lunch, and go do it again with the neighbors kids again. Literally bouncing off a trampoline for hours at a time with the other kids. Rollerskates and races the kids around a culdesac all day. Crash at bedtime and do it again the next day. Matches my wife as a child as well. I literally built a giant metal climbing dome in the backyard for her and kid finally built up strength enough to do monkey bars. So far, giving her challenges has driven her to be even more active. Comparison: she's equivalent to a husky. So of all things she's really happy with the summer and all the extra time with family and friends. But she's like 85th percentile on height and close to 85 on weight, previously having been more like 75% on everything since she was born. She's not Michelin man overweight but bmi wise she's in the 85+% range and my wife is concerned I guess. She's literally an entire head and shoulders taller than her friends her age 6 months younger who are in the bottom 25% and a literal big boned child. She is quite simply larger than other kids, whole body.

We eat meals at random hours sometimes because her sports fall around mealtimes (swimming disruption of breakfast time, violin lunch and tennis dinner. trifecta!). We have her in biweekly tennis and daily swim lessons that I take her to, plus violin to wear her out mentally. She is definitely growth spurting but the concern is that she may have some food anxiety. I'll be reading the book mentioned prior though.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 21, 2022

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Has your pediatrician mentioned that they are concerned? I kind of feel like BMI for quickly growing kids isn't going to be a really great barometer of health, but obviously I'm not a doctor.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

The twins start kindergarten in a week. No more paying double for daycare/preschool! :getin:

We have one more year and every time it's basically we'll save so much money when we do. Which I know is it's a lie because it'll be something else expensive, i.e. dance, sports, etc.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hooray, another stomach bug for the 2 year old!

Puked on Mom 4 times last night... kept thinking he was done, so we changed his and Mom's clothes, cleaned them up and then boom, more puke! No fever to speak of, so there's that at least...

We're really stretching our sick time thin. Year is barely half over and I'm almost out. Wife has more, but also running low since she's taken the brunt of the time this year.

So yay, another day of barely getting any work done and having a hungry, thirsty, 2 year old screaming at you all day because all he wants is the one thing he can't have, lest he puke it all up again.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

calandryll posted:

We have one more year and every time it's basically we'll save so much money when we do. Which I know is it's a lie because it'll be something else expensive, i.e. dance, sports, etc.

We figured out recently that we're paying as much for our twins to go to daycare as we would in tuition, fees and books for a year at the local state University. No extracurricular is going to cost as much as daycare costs right now.

One more year. I really have a hard time imagining having that money in pocket... for the past 4 years almost a quarter of our net income has gone towards childcare.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’ve been joking with my husband that when our little guy is out of daycare I’m going to buy the Porsche I’ve always wanted.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

remigious posted:

I’ve been joking with my husband that when our little guy is out of daycare I’m going to buy the Porsche I’ve always wanted.

I've never actually calculated what kind of vehicle payment one could afford with monthly daycare costs but uh....yeah

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

notwithoutmyanus posted:

She's an extremely high energy 7 year old. She will play for 2-3+ hours straight, have lunch, and go do it again with the neighbors kids again. Literally bouncing off a trampoline for hours at a time with the other kids. Rollerskates and races the kids around a culdesac all day. Crash at bedtime and do it again the next day. Matches my wife as a child as well. I literally built a giant metal climbing dome in the backyard for her and kid finally built up strength enough to do monkey bars. So far, giving her challenges has driven her to be even more active. Comparison: she's equivalent to a husky. So of all things she's really happy with the summer and all the extra time with family and friends. But she's like 85th percentile on height and close to 85 on weight, previously having been more like 75% on everything since she was born. She's not Michelin man overweight but bmi wise she's in the 85+% range and my wife is concerned I guess. She's literally an entire head and shoulders taller than her friends her age 6 months younger who are in the bottom 25% and a literal big boned child. She is quite simply larger than other kids, whole body.

We eat meals at random hours sometimes because her sports fall around mealtimes (swimming disruption of breakfast time, violin lunch and tennis dinner. trifecta!). We have her in biweekly tennis and daily swim lessons that I take her to, plus violin to wear her out mentally. She is definitely growth spurting but the concern is that she may have some food anxiety. I'll be reading the book mentioned prior though.

Not a doctor, but the BMI scale is more about general guidelines and really falls apart when you reach the end of the scale (>80% and <20%). Our 6 year old son is 95% in every category, is crazy active, and I fret that he doesn't eat enough. He's just naturally dense, haha. Of course his doctor noted his BMI was borderline and to make sure he is active, but I didn't let it worry me too much since I know he isn't unhealthy. It helps that my wife is like 6'3'' and dealt with the BMI warnings her entire life.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

remigious posted:

Too real. I am fully aware that my daycare is cheap in comparison to many areas ($205+$190=$395 combined per week for a 2yo and 4yo) but man it still feels so expensive.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

Not a doctor, but the BMI scale is more about general guidelines and really falls apart when you reach the end of the scale (>80% and <20%). Our 6 year old son is 95% in every category, is crazy active, and I fret that he doesn't eat enough. He's just naturally dense, haha. Of course his doctor noted his BMI was borderline and to make sure he is active, but I didn't let it worry me too much since I know he isn't unhealthy. It helps that my wife is like 6'3'' and dealt with the BMI warnings her entire life.

Yeah, I think this probably is the issue anyway. I try to tell my wife not to much too much into it, but I mean kid is becoming noticeably more active every day of summer should not = any sort of a problem.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Olanphonia posted:

Has your pediatrician mentioned that they are concerned? I kind of feel like BMI for quickly growing kids isn't going to be a really great barometer of health, but obviously I'm not a doctor.

Yeah, AFAIK BMI isn’t really appropriate to use with kids, so I wouldn’t sweat it unless their doctor is concerned.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah, I think this probably is the issue anyway. I try to tell my wife not to much too much into it, but I mean kid is becoming noticeably more active every day of summer should not = any sort of a problem.

I mean, just to add to BMI discussion, muscle is way more dense than fat. If your kid is super active, her high BMI could be from muscle mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BMI is accurate between 5th and 95th percentile, for ages 5 and up: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight

People like to trot out the "yeah but BMI doesn't apply to olympic athletes!" but when is the last time you met that person

If your BMI falls between 8 and 40 odds are it's pretty accurate