Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

builds character posted:

SNOWTERCYCLE!!!

ktm 500 with a snow bike kit. :hellyeah:

A mere twenty five thousand dollars total.

I need someone to buy this so I can live vicariously through them.

https://www.timbersled.com/en-us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
thats pretty rad, porbably hard as gently caress to ride though with only one sled

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I did look at that briefly, but then I realized just getting a skidoo would probably be smarter at that point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can take a bike in the snow much more cheaply

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One more picture

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Iconic colour scheme.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Awesome, I've never done the 99! Hope it's a good time!

This kid at the Petrocan in Golden wanted to take pictures of my bike yesterday. I wish it'd been a little cleaner, but of course I was like yeah go ahead dude... Wonder where those are gonna end up!

Here's my trip report. The 99 is a great road, with some caveats. Passing opportunities are few and far between, and the chances of getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like a caravan are very high, so you have to use your judgment on double yellows with reasonable sight lines. Also the pavement in places is pretty/very rough. The climb and descent out of Lillooet is very technical, but in
all likely hood you're going to be doing 30km/h behind a truck towing a camper. But when you've got nobody ahead of you and some decent pavement and a twisty section, it's fantastic. The scenery is amazing, too. Once you're past Pemberton and through the Whistler traffic, it's just the sea to sky highway south to Vancouver which is nice and curvy, as highways go, but it's not the highlight.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Monkey and Goldwing. Looks like the same blue paint code.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I feel like we need a "Lonewolf and Cub" adaptation but with these two (or you know, a super cub, since that's in the name).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Don’t talk to me or my son ever again

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Random photography tip, if you really want to show off the difference in size, stand back further away from the bikes and then zoom in to fill the frame

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Shouldn’t have spent the money but wanted something that would work on the highway. Still have the SR and the CB, but this is my new daily rider

crazyivan45 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 20, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Don’t talk to me or my son ever again

2 days vs 8 days, gear-wise

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

bizwank posted:

That’s a great pic for the caption but I can’t stop laughing at a cupholder!!! I would have never thought in a million years. Also thats the throttle side?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

He was talking about getting some highway pegs on it too. Nice guy, had about a 20 min wait for the ferry so got to share some travel stories.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

crazyivan45 posted:

Shouldn’t have spent the money but wanted something that would work on the highway. Still have the SR and the CB, but this is my new daily rider

GOLD WHEELS. So Good.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

crazyivan45 posted:

man they really nailed that modern retro look with the new z650rs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

crazyivan45 posted:

This rules

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

tyrelhill posted:

man they really nailed that modern retro look with the new z650rs

the rear fenders actually look good on a modern bike for once. because the ujm fenders always looked good anyway why change it lol

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Aaand on that note, I'll have to sell mine.

A unique job opportunity has turned up, which means moving to Northern Alberta, where corners are forbidden (and snow 7 months a year anyway).
I'm looking at at least 3 years before I can move to some real roads again. (And yes, it will entirely be worth it).
I considered just parking it, but sportsbikes are selling for silly prices right now and the spare cash will come in handy anyway.
Sucks as I love this bike, but I'm sure I'll love the next one too.

Meanwhile, I'll probably get a dual sport/dirt bike..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psfpk83a1I

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, sold.

(Edit: Gixxer sold instantly :( )

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

bizwank posted:

Hold my beer gear.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

That looks so fun and even if you fall you don't have to worry. I want to do that.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TheBacon posted:

That’s a great pic for the caption but I can’t stop laughing at a cupholder!!! I would have never thought in a million years. Also thats the throttle side?

Cruise control.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Strife posted:

Cruise control.

Well gently caress I have exposed my pleb status. I have known I wanted cruise to ease up my wrist but I never really thought about the next level of then being able to *use* the hand for something else

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I own a 'wing AND a GS and even I think it's ridiculous to have a cup holder mounted to the crash bars on your throttle side so you can sip a goddamned latte right-handed on your BMW with the cruise on. Most of your brakes are over there too; GSAs are pigs and that rear brake won't do much for you if you need to stop in a hurry.

Ranks right up there with the local dude with an insulated cup holder mounted by the clutch lever on his Street Glide to keep his Bud Light cold between bars.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

crazyivan45 posted:

Heck yes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I own a 'wing AND a GS and even I think it's ridiculous to have a cup holder mounted to the crash bars on your throttle side so you can sip a goddamned latte right-handed on your BMW with the cruise on. Most of your brakes are over there too; GSAs are pigs and that rear brake won't do much for you if you need to stop in a hurry.

Ranks right up there with the local dude with an insulated cup holder mounted by the clutch lever on his Street Glide to keep his Bud Light cold between bars.

Does the GS have linked brakes, out of curiosity? Or is that a particularly Honda affliction.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Does the GS have linked brakes, out of curiosity? Or is that a particularly Honda affliction.

yes in the sense that the front activates both but not the other way around

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly if they all worked like that I wouldn't hate them so much. I don't like it when I'm trying to drag the rear while turning at low speed and the front suddenly grabs, it's especially bad on scooters.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Honestly if they all worked like that I wouldn't hate them so much. I don't like it when I'm trying to drag the rear while turning at low speed and the front suddenly grabs, it's especially bad on scooters.

Wtf which bikes do this??

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

epswing posted:

Some bikes with linked brakes activate one or more pistons in the front calipers when pressing the rear brake pedal - Goldwing, Gen 2 FJR both do. I'm sure several others do as well, those are just the two I've owned that did it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The goldwing 1200 only activated the left front caliper with the rear brake. If you wanted the right side you had to pull the brake lever.

It was dumb, but also worked

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

The bikes listed but also every modern scooter that lacks abs because the EU decided abs and linked brakes should be legislatively identical, because you can't make a profitable 50cc Korean moped with an abs system.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The goldwing 1200 only activated the left front caliper with the rear brake. If you wanted the right side you had to pull the brake lever.

It was dumb, but also worked

Not sure about the 1200 but the 1100 even has different size pistons between the two front calipers. It's not terribly hard to disable the system, remove the hard line from the rear brake line joint (or replace the line from rear MC to caliper with a single line) plug the hole with a bolt with the correct thread. Then run two lines or a 1>2 from the front MC down to the calipers. The hard line between the front and back is still tucked away in the bowels of my bike, it's just not doing anything. I could always go back if I wanted. The system works ok I just like to have individual control over the brakes.

It would be more difficult to defeat the linked brakes on something like a VFR800, it uses twin 6 piston front calipers with one or two pistons on each caliper activated by the rear brake MC (IIRC).

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

epswing posted:

The bikes you can ride in several EU countries on a car license (bikes of 11kW max and/or 125cc, and perhaps some mopeds). Those people are highly likely to ignore the front brake. So many car drivers who also ride a bicycle are convinced that as soon as you hit the front, you'll go over the handle bars.
If those people hop onto a motorcycle, they will likely keep that habit and slide into whatever object they gotta brake for.

No idea why it's presented as an alternative to ABS though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

No idea why it's presented as an alternative to ABS though.

Slavvy posted:

because you can't make a profitable 50cc Korean moped with an abs system.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Scam Likely posted:

Hold my beer gear.

I'm renting the 401 here and I came back to the lot to find its beeg Italian brother showed up

crazyivan45 posted:

I'm partial to the green colorway but this is superb.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T Zero posted:

I'm renting the 401 here and I came back to the lot to find its beeg Italian brother showed up

I'm partial to the green colorway but this is superb.

Maybe if it was a Duke 790 you found, but that's clearly an Aprilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Hit a major milestone on the little Honda Trail 90.

Takes a while to hit 10k when you average 40 mph.