Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The one time I played with a pro DM he also had laid out like a dozen possible pregens for the table of 4 players, so yeah I assume it would be "ok you happen to meet Blargo in the next scene, we all mourn Felf's passing, but it's important to complete the quest!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

GimpInBlack posted:

What's the next level beyond "mask off?" Because god drat that is some Myfarog level poo poo.

During pride month the facebook page had (briefly) an image of a father reading bed time stories to his children and "blocking" rainbows from his children. Unless the screenshot is fake, they clarified that it was 100% an anti-LBGT message:

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 20, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes a lot of very old UFO lore said that the things driving them looked like big nordic white people. UFO encounters didn't start describing the the pilots as little green men or greys until after the Barney and Betty Hill case blew up in the media. By pure coincidence I'm sure the Outer Limits episode with these guys in it predates the Hills describing their abductors.

They started saying they were abducted in 1961, Outer Limits didn't start until '63.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Maxwell Lord posted:

They started saying they were abducted in 1961, Outer Limits didn't start until '63.

they reported missing time and some sort of UFO experience, but the actual abduction narrative and the occupants of the craft were a later addition from hypno-therapy sessions, in '64, if I recall correctly

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nordic aliens always seemed to me to be more about reinforcing the racial hierarchy that racists love. The world is organized by race, with white people on top and ooga-booga savages at the very bottom, so if we get contacted by an even more advanced species, then it just stands to reason that they would look like super-white people (because they are super-smart and super-advanced). QED, if you start from the belief that the natural order of the universe is determined by skin color and, uh, skull physiognomy I guess.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slyphic posted:

None of the GMs at cons I attend are paid. Many years, both sides of the table. You get reduced or free admission, but that's not 'paid' in my book.

What cons pay their GMs?

I'll be honest, I find "they aren't being paid, they're just being given goods and services at reduced cost or for free" to be splitting hairs, either way the entire arrangement is transactional (you come run a game for us and we give you compensation).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah as Veritek83 said before 1964 the Hills only talked about bright lights and missing time. The description of men with wrap around eyes only showed up after hypnotherapy later.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Coolness Averted posted:

The one time I played with a pro DM he also had laid out like a dozen possible pregens for the table of 4 players, so yeah I assume it would be "ok you happen to meet Blargo in the next scene, we all mourn Felf's passing, but it's important to complete the quest!"

At Landfill's Funeral, Landfill's brother introduces himself and insists that you call him Landfill in his honor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like old Star Frontiers, jank and all. This whole thing with nuTSR makes me nauseous.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If you play with a paid DM, have all the same conversations you would have with a friend DM or a random DM. You discuss your expectations, themes, PC lethality, tone, X card, OOC table talk, scheduling, and and and. If they aren't willing to have those conversations, they're not actually a good DM and you should find another one. If they are willing to have them, know the game's rules, and also can keep to your schedule and can keep the spotlight shifting among the party, well, that's why you're paying them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GimpInBlack posted:

What's the next level beyond "mask off?" Because god drat that is some Myfarog level poo poo.

KKK hood on

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Uh, that is literally the step before “mask off”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

I thought "mask off" meant one dropped the mask that hides that they are a racist piece of poo poo, so the next step seems to me that one would put on a new mask that screams to the world how hosed up they are.

edit: Like the progression from dogwhistle to speaking voice to air raid siren, this bullshit being an example of the last

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 20, 2022

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Syfyfarog

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

"Started goosestepping"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Megazver posted:

This combination of blatant bigotry and the author obviously being pretty dumb is pretty funny, tbh.

So much of it is horrifically racist and should be burned to ash, but god drat me and smite me dead I can not stop laughing my rear end off at "social justice warrior warrior"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SpaceDrake posted:

So much of it is horrifically racist and should be burned to ash, but god drat me and smite me dead I can not stop laughing my rear end off at "social justice warrior warrior"

Looks like we got a no it all here, folks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Started goosestepping"
"all artwork in house hummed; rotated 180 degrees to reveal hidden Hitler portraits"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I thought "mask off" meant one dropped the mask that hides that they are a racist piece of poo poo

That's exactly what the hood did and why they wore it. Because they were politicians, police, etc. Still are.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

That's exactly what the hood did and why they wore it. Because they were politicians, police, etc. Still are.

Okay but mask off refers to someone dropping their facade, and wearing a Klan outfit doesn't hide your intentions very well

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know why you're having such a hang up and getting a simple phrase so mixed up. But taking the mask off is being proud of your racist bs and owning it instead of hiding behind a mask for anonymity, which is what the hood provides.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BattleMaster posted:

Okay but mask off refers to someone dropping their facade, and wearing a Klan outfit doesn't hide your intentions very well

Do you think the "mask" is supposed to be like a cheeky Carnival costume mask?

And a Klan hood hides your identity, not your intentions, which is the point of the phrase.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Mask off" comes from 1940s psychology and refers to a psychopath dropping their false personality and showing the world what they are. It never had anything to do with literal masks like KKK masks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes but it's weird for you to think the next step after "masks off" is to literally put a physical mask on. It's right there in the phrase, no mask! Lmao

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BattleMaster posted:

"Mask off" comes from 1940s psychology and refers to a psychopath dropping their false personality and showing the world what they are. It never had anything to do with literal masks like KKK masks

What?

The term predates that, contemporaneous with "unmask" going back to the 1700's.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Terrible Opinions posted:

No judgement on people who do, but I find the idea of playing a TTRPG with someone I'm not already friends with super uncomfortable and weird.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but here's my take. Let's look at how a GM's role differs from the players'.

1) A GM has to really, really know the rules. Inexperienced players can learn as they go, not the GM.

2) The GM has to do a fair amount of work beforehand. Yes, sometimes the GM will wing it, which can lead to hilarious times, but generally they need to get their poo poo together first.

3) If a player doesn't show up that day, the group can usually go on, but if the GM doesn't show, you're hosed.

So, if you hire a GM, you're paying a bit of money for a guy who knows his poo poo, did his homework, and is even more incentivized to show up than the average guy. That's a fair trade, IMHO.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

poo poo written by racists always reads like it was written by a 14 year old.
When I was 14 I was writing settings based around mary sue heterochromia-eyed dragons and earnest but stupid and ignorant attempts at anticolonialism involving deinonychus-people sending Generic D&D Human Kingdom settlers packing from their dinosaur continent, don't you put my dumb rear end in the same boat as this garbage :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you've ever played in a convention game you've paid to have someone GM.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Splicer posted:

If you've ever played in a convention game you've paid to have someone GM.

Yeah but 99% of that money goes to the convention for the table space and not the GM. Very few con games are paid GM experiences. Different things really.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gynovore posted:

So, if you hire a GM, you're paying a bit of money for a guy who knows his poo poo, did his homework, and is even more incentivized to show up than the average guy. That's a fair trade, IMHO.
Oh I understand its utility, but it still feel weird. But no more weird than any other instance of playing in person or over voip with strangers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm sorry, there's a race of Nazi supermen that's well established in real UFO lore? What?

I have bad news for you about what happens to literally every conspiracy-centric community, and which absolutely did not skip the UFO people.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drakyn posted:

deinonychus-people sending Generic D&D Human Kingdom settlers packing from their dinosaur continent,

This sounds pretty rad

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Drakyn posted:

When I was 14 I was writing settings based around mary sue heterochromia-eyed dragons and earnest but stupid and ignorant attempts at anticolonialism involving deinonychus-people sending Generic D&D Human Kingdom settlers packing from their dinosaur continent, don't you put my dumb rear end in the same boat as this garbage :colbert:

Do not kill the part of you that is cringe, kill the part that cringes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I have bad news for you about what happens to literally every conspiracy-centric community, and which absolutely did not skip the UFO people.

Yeah there's a very good reasons why everybody immediately understood what it meant when conspiracy loons started talking about (((things written in triple brackets))).

It wasn't actually a new development.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MYFAROG had only fantasy and modern supplements, finally someone made the sci-fi version.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

:drat:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

BattleMaster posted:

I thought it was a robbery thing, where if you're mask off you're no longer letting anyone who can possibly identify you live.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Nordic aliens always seemed to me to be more about reinforcing the racial hierarchy that racists love. The world is organized by race, with white people on top and ooga-booga savages at the very bottom, so if we get contacted by an even more advanced species, then it just stands to reason that they would look like super-white people (because they are super-smart and super-advanced). QED, if you start from the belief that the natural order of the universe is determined by skin color and, uh, skull physiognomy I guess.

They directly are because all of the big, early contactee people were theosophists or traveled in those circles. They just took all the "root races" and automatic writing stuff but made it about UFO's. Instead of going into the Earth and meeting Count St. Germain, they were communing with the cosmos and the new "hidden masters." It moved on from there once the monster and weird humanoid alien sightings started getting published but that's 100% the reason the enlightened, peaceful aliens are blonde haired and blue eyed because they're based on the same mythical Aryans that the Nazis talked about. Theosophy was a big influence on a lot of their esoteric beliefs and William Dudley Pelley, the American fascist leader, was big in the UFO contactee scene after WWII. He was unable to publish anything related to politics as part of his release from prison during the war for treason and he just pivoted to UFO's from theosophy.

Perceptions of aliens really changes over time but it's largely due to media, popular culture, and what contactee stuff was being published. All the theosophy people already had printing setups and connections so they were at the ground floor. Once contactee culture becomes more widespread, more and more people get interviewed and investigated so things change. There was also a cultural change too because in the early days the "weird" alien sightings were often suppressed by UFO investigators because it didn't match their concept of aliens. So by picking and choosing what was valid, they were altering public perception to meet their concepts or theories. By the late 60's though many high level UFO investigators like John Keel and Jacques Vallee even go so far as to posit that aliens aren't actually what we consider aliens from outer space. They start talking about them being trickster entities, shapeshifters, and possibly related to the fae of ancient and medieval legend so the whole field gets blown wide open. Betty and Barney Hill's experience was possibly inspired by the Outer Limits due to hypnosis being incredibly unreliable. The modern grey alien was very much inspired by the cover of Whitley Strieber's Communion, which isn't actually accurate to the beings he claimed he encountered, but it's so chilling looking that it entered the public zeitgeist for decades.

TL;DR: The concept of the Nordic alien is inherently racist because it's based on an old racist cult's beliefs and promoted by literal fascists.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

on the subject of aliens and conspiracies and the fascist history of many top UFOlogists, you should listen to Penny Royal podcast. it’s great and season two in particular is about how a lot of this stuff intersects in US history and therefore conspiracists slide right so often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

TL;DR: The concept of the Nordic alien is inherently racist because it's based on an old racist cult's beliefs and promoted by literal fascists.
A quasi-religion that refers to its highest semi-angelic ascended masters as the Great White Brotherhood - racist?!? :monocle: