Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Amazon do that for Lego and call it ‘hassle-free shipping’!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm not here to defend Hot Wheels guy, but that shark car fuckin rocks. The classics never go out of style, or something like that.

Truth. It is pretty rad.

On a different note, my Page Punchers Constantine arrived yesterday. He's quite good and probably the best looking figure of the character to date. If he were in 1/12 scale he'd be even better, but I'll live.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 20, 2022

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess with Hot Wheels they can get away with keeping the same old molds around for way longer. It's not like Transformers or something where they've got more complicated, a little metal car is a little metal car.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Sideshow will double box, but it costs more. I’ve gotten quite a few from them and I don’t think any have been damaged. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The_Doctor posted:

Ooof! I'll stick with buying it at the Lego store since it's pristine there.

I've been pretty lucky with boxes being nice from Sideshow. But ultimately the figure is all that matters - the boxes just take up so much space. I think I am going to do what someone way earlier did and start putting things in ziplock bags with labels in like a big fishing / tool box. My wife loving HATES that I have all these boxes laying around right now. :lol: Once our basement is finished it's time to throw em all out - including all the figurearts and statue things.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

From the Lego thread

Cojawfee posted:

Someone on Reddit got a special edition BTTF3 edition Delorean.

And the Things I've seen at work thread

Captain Invictus posted:

yet another very expensive lego set shipped via hassle free

it's hard to tell from the photo but it appears someone or something punched it, there was a big circular dent in the front of the box.

That's what hassle free gets you

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Companies don't consider boxes collector items, no matter how fancy the art is on it. They're just there to protect the contents. if the Lego/Miles survived it did its job as far as they're concerned.

That said Sideshow has a double box toggle you can choose on an order for a few bucks more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MarxCarl posted:

From the Lego thread

And the Things I've seen at work thread

That's what hassle free gets you

OK, that second one was me, I work at the Amazon factory and punch anything with the Harry Potter logo that comes down the line. Sorry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who cares if Lego boxes are damaged. You build the thing and throw out the box.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some of the UCS boxes are super nice.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

I think the cardboard on Lego boxes is generally thin, so if there’s a puncture or tear you could lose bricks. I don’t Lego often, so maybe the cardboard is thicker now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Endless Mike posted:

A couple of my friends are really into Lego and they save the boxes for when/if they want to eventually sell the sets as other Lego buyers tend to be very weird about that stuff. On the plus side, you can generally sell the sets for a bit more than originally purchased.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I think the cardboard on Lego boxes is generally thin, so if there’s a puncture or tear you could lose bricks. I don’t Lego often, so maybe the cardboard is thicker now.
They're bagged* inside the boxes except for large plates, which is unlikely to escape through a tear, or at worst would be noticeable in the shipping box. You'd have to ram a forklift through the box before you lose a brick.

Also Lego will replace anything that's missing for free (though it's a bummer to be missing a brick in the middle of a build).

*I haven't gotten the new paper bags, so maybe those are noticeably weaker, but the regular plastic ones aren't getting torn from bouncing around in a box.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, it’s a really good figure. :3:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think for :10bux: you can have them put the shipper box in a slightly larger box. I don't know if it's like, way bigger and padded, or just like the shipper box and a tight fit, though.

I've never really bothered with it. I can understand the irritation though. These fuckers are expensive.

Love that cat :3:

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

any goons familiar with the original 80's TMNT Playmates reissues? I know they have bigger heads but would they stand up to a child playing with them or are they just meant for hanging on the wall in their packaging? I don't want to go through the trouble of looking for them if they don't hold up like the originals.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Budget Dracula posted:

any goons familiar with the original 80's TMNT Playmates reissues? I know they have bigger heads but would they stand up to a child playing with them or are they just meant for hanging on the wall in their packaging? I don't want to go through the trouble of looking for them if they don't hold up like the originals.

They’re fine. Gave my friends nine year old a Leonardo.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Budget Dracula posted:

Playmates get a lot of poo poo from toy collectors for their sculpting, paint and articulation not being very good, but if you are literally looking for toys for kids to play with, they are probably exactly what you want. I would expect reissues of the 80s toys to be as sturdy as the originals, which were quite good for the time, if not more so.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Haslab Galactus looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnLvEXv2fOI

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I just bought the SDCC Variant haha

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hovered over it... :lol:

gently caress.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

All the Walmart guys are going up for preorder tomorrow at 10 eastern. At least that’s what the plan is. With Walmart it could be any time tomorrow or not at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/craighogeboon/status/1549736754734825473?s=21&t=HAFf8kWy0MhmWX_GKkDqAw

If anyone finds a General Merrick at Target I will happily pay you for the trouble of picking one up for me.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/craighogeboon/status/1549736754734825473?s=21&t=HAFf8kWy0MhmWX_GKkDqAw

If anyone finds a General Merrick at Target I will happily pay you for the trouble of picking one up for me.

I just paid extra to get him from Canada months ago, but I’ll grab him for you if I see him. Do you want Galan Erso too?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nanigans posted:

I just paid extra to get him from Canada months ago, but I’ll grab him for you if I see him. Do you want Galan Erso too?

Yes, that would be great!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vintersorg posted:

I got some of the Batmobiles cause they are fantastic. And would get a KITT if I saw one too. It yah, it’s something that boggled the mind since the mainline stuff can’t be all that special.

I got a HotWheels KITT years ago. It didn't have the right hubcaps

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahahahahahaha jesus it's like they're pulling an entire small human out of the box.

oh god where am I going to store them

edit: I really appreciate them outright saying "we learned some valuable lessons from the previous haslab release" and then showing off those crunchy ratchet joints.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 20, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
All I know is that to fit Galactus I'm gonna have to build an extra large shelf near my sit-stand desk as I have nowhere else to put it. First world problems.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I'm really tempted to just raise his arms up so that hands are even with the top of his head and then put a piece of tempered glass on him and use him as a night stand. You know, for the 20 minutes it'd last until my fiance notices and tells me to move him

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d possibly be down for this too

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Wots all this then?

https://twitter.com/planeteternia/status/1549873613414846465?s=21&t=VRUYJeQEdZAyq-edBDcybg

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

All that polystyrene packaging is pretty obnoxious.

I know it's for a totally non-essential big chunk of plastic, but something vaguely recyclable would be nice to see.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Oh wow, didn't expect that.

And yet should have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, that is NOT the vintage Eternia.

Edit: god drat it. I need to be out of toy collecting.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 21, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, that is NOT the vintage Eternia.

I've never seen one in person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's lots of differences, the orientation of the claws was the first thing I saw. Viper Tower is different, there's foot pegs on the steps. The flags are fabric, Greyskull Tower is shaped differently, there's detailing on the upper part of Central Tower. I'm sure there's dozens of differences. I am eager to see the rear when they show the full set.

I'm betting $300.

And if you look in the background you can see Origins New Adventures He-Man.

Edit: I see SEVEN Snake Men, most not vintage designs.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 21, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

It seems odd that we’d see this before Snake Mountain. Greyskulls are often on discount, so probably not jumping at it at full price. Unless it’s some site exclusive or somesuch.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Crazy if they’re doing Eternia before Snake Mountain or even the Fright Zone, but they have been full of surprises with this toy line. I’ve never had a Snake Mountain, and I’d love to see Mattel do something in between the vintage one and the crazy huge Super 7 one.

Since that New Adventures He-Man is in actual New Adventures packaging, that’s got to be a limited exclusive along the lines of She-Ra and Sun Man, and there will no doubt be a regular release on a regular MOTU card like the others.

It really seems like they’re trying to outdo Classics with the depth of Origins. More power to ‘em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That seems to be the case, it's crazy that this is actually happening. I wonder if it will be the debut of their crowd funding platform. But if this is happening there really isn't anything to rule out and Origins might actually recreate the entire vintage line.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 21, 2022