Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Platystemon posted:

Judaism’s “God has a deep appreciation of rules-lawyering” is a valid solution to the problem. :colbert:

Me, all knowing god: "Don't eat bugs"

Mike the blasphemous Pope: "Eat spiders. Got it."

Me: "I said no bugs. Spiders are bugs."

Mike: "Well spiders are arachnids not insects"

Me: "Oh I hadn't thought of thaaaa....."

*reality collapses on itself*

I mean, come on. God didn't say that he likes rules-lawyering. Man did. Now you're two layers deep on thinking you're outwitting God.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My favorite Bible moment is when God himself shows up to murder Moses for not circumcising his sons but his wife gets a piece of flint and does it on the spot so God goes away.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

fool of sound posted:

My favorite Bible moment is when God himself shows up to murder Moses for not circumcising his sons but his wife gets a piece of flint and does it on the spot so God goes away.

My favourite bible moment is 15 centuries of absolutely brutal repression, bigotry, and general untold evil

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I like the story of Job because it shows the Judeo-Christian god is a gambling addict and a messy bitch who loves drama.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Anime Liker posted:

I like the story of Job because it shows the Judeo-Christian god is a gambling addict and a messy bitch who loves drama.

Or at least man says that god is a gambling addict and a messy bitch who loves drama. :tinfoil:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All I learned from the bible is you can fight god and when you start winning he'll cheat

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Platystemon posted:

Or at least man says that god is a gambling addict and a messy bitch who loves drama. :tinfoil:

Well the Bible was written by God. I'm just reporting facts. God says God is a She's All That villain-rear end bitchy mean girl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Anime Liker posted:

Well the Bible was written by God. I'm just reporting facts.

No it wasn't. Like it doesn't even claim to be written by God.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Anime Liker posted:

you might enjoy Woolie vs God, the animated tangents from Woolie on the Super Best Friends podcast where he derails into talking about various biblical stories in a succinct and often hilarious way. man I wish there were more than the like 5 that exist
"Lucky Job"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZbLtbuWKM&hd=1

"Purgatory Babies"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwVEVj3Gzc&hd=1

"Scumbag Jacob"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iibnwMwpmiI&hd=1

"Cain Brought the Sides"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBW97Z4IMw&hd=1

and the original from a different animator, "Biblical Best Friends"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkc7PPOxKY

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That one story about the arguing Rabbis where God came down and said "this guy is right", prompting the other Rabbis to go "who the gently caress asked you get outta here" :allears: I'm paraphrasing slightly but it rules

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Danaru posted:

That one story about the arguing Rabbis where God came down and said "this guy is right", prompting the other Rabbis to go "who the gently caress asked you get outta here" :allears: I'm paraphrasing slightly but it rules

The Oven of Akhnai

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a good story.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm currently learning a great deal of bible from Sunday School Dropouts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Anime Liker posted:

"Judeo-Christian" is a fake idea racist Western Christians made up to distance themselves from Nazis. :shrug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Judeo-Christian" is a fake idea racist Western Christians made up to distance themselves from Nazis. :shrug:

Oh.

Is Abrahamic right? I think that's right.

You know, the lovely desert religions that are weird about sex and are pro-slavery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Anime Liker posted:

Oh.

Is Abrahamic right? I think that's right.

“Abrahamic” also includes Islam.

That’s the difference.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

My favourite bible moment is 15 centuries of absolutely brutal repression, bigotry, and general untold evil

that would have been there without the bible

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I think "Judeo-Christian" is when I want to talk about why my specifically Christian opinions are actually fundamental societal values but also want to kinda make it sound a little like people who disagree with me are antisemitic.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vanadium posted:

I think "Judeo-Christian" is when I want to talk about why my specifically Christian opinions are actually fundamental societal values but also want to kinda make it sound a little like people who disagree with me are antisemitic.

In my experience the people who think Jesus is real are enthusiastically antisemitic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Splicer posted:

I'm currently learning a great deal of bible from Sunday School Dropouts

Standing outside the church in leather jackets and smoking cigs

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Alaois posted:

that would have been there without the bible

Not the specific flavour we got, maybe not at all. Not all civilizations were loving garbage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

Standing outside the church in leather jackets and smoking cigs
Yes but also it's a podcast

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Not the specific flavour we got, maybe not at all. Not all civilizations were loving garbage.

oh yeah for sure lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Which aren't because I've been working on a time machine

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JFC throw every single thing involved in that story into a volcano, including the author, god and the oven. What a tedious bunch of assholes.

E: and the stream and the tree and the walls. Especially the walls.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Alaois posted:

oh yeah for sure lmao

Stop hanging out with youth pastors

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Anime Liker posted:

I mean, come on. God didn't say that he likes rules-lawyering. Man did. Now you're two layers deep on thinking you're outwitting God.

The principle is that God is omniscient, so if there is a loophole in his instructions he must have meant for you to use it if you're smart enough to find it. You're not outwitting him - he's rewarding you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Except when he incarnates himself as a son of man and shows up at your temple and whips your rear end. You oughta take the L on that one.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jedit posted:

The principle is that God is omniscient, so if there is a loophole in his instructions he must have meant for you to use it if you're smart enough to find it. You're not outwitting him - he's rewarding you.

If I murder the pope and burn down the Vatican and nobody stops me I shouldn't be punished if I'm caught after the fact, obviously god wanted it to happen because he let it happen.

But it I'm caught and punished then he DID want me to be caught and punished.

Basically whatever happens is god's plan, so why even bother having commandments and religious rules?

:thunk:

Outrail has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jul 21, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Outrail posted:

If I murder the pope and burn down the Vatican and nobody stops me I shouldn't be punished if I'm caught after the fact, obviously god wanted it to happen because he let it happen.

Basically whatever happens is god's plan, so why even bother having commandments and religious rules?

Because this idea you just posted: God's plan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

JFC throw every single thing involved in that story into a volcano, including the author, god and the oven. What a tedious bunch of assholes.

E: and the stream and the tree and the walls. Especially the walls.

Jesus parachute account spotted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

You don’t even need to invoke god for this.

It’s just hard determinism.

Your brain is an electrochemical computer whose state is a product of the circumstances of your birth and the experiences you have had since.

All that free will you think you have? Your brain just acted on input.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Outrail posted:

You reinvented Calvinism

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

You're basically just explaining why religions have a use for communal and consensual interpretation over divine omnipotence. Like this is just the Oven of Akhnai with a different subject matter. If by some divine miracle you burn down the Vatican you're still an rear end in a top hat as calculated by the faculties God has provided us which is divinity of its own.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Splicer posted:

Sunday School Dropouts

highly recommend this podcast; it's a great place to learn about evil gently caress angels and nasty fig boys

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jedit posted:

Incidentally, if this sounds to you like a bunch of 1st century CE rabbis invented cryptocurrency, you're not altogether wrong. Nothing really changes.

It was all the more odious because as originally written, the laws about sacrifices seemed pretty clearly intended to scale for whatever people were able to afford. Like if the best livestock you have are a couple of birds, that's cool, just bring one of the good ones, not like a half bird that you found on the way here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sacrifice the good son

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

can someone post some funny quotes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Uganda Loves Me posted:

A buddy of mine has steam burns on his hands, and I can only think of Simpsons memes.

Dabir posted:

"my name is mr burns"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Stop hanging out with youth pastors

I'm not even religious i'm just not delusional