Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Read about a new car? - Pay $10/month for the ability to use air conditioning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, are checks for OEM software already a part of yearly? smog testing in some places?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, are checks for OEM software already a part of yearly? smog testing in some places?

Yup https://www.motortrend.com/news/california-smog-testing-ecu-software-flash-modifications/

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

bird with big dick posted:

Ford has the Mustang GT Performance Edition EV.

Which is good brand management. The Mustang is Ford's range-topping (only) car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this is F-series erasure

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

It is weird that GM would use the Blazer name on the EV though.

Well, they might as well get a head start in case these things have battery problems that lead to fires.

"Well, you bought a vehicle known as a BLAZER, what did you expect"?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do the cadillac torque rating in nm thing and we can have a BLAZER 420

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't think I am prepared for how much of a nightmare owning one would be but goddamn the Tonale is hot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PBCrunch posted:

That shiny part that might be glass, might be piano black trim on the Blazer EV is almost certainly plastic. GM has been putting plastic where glass used to go for six or seven decades.

It is weird that GM would use the Blazer name on the EV though. For one, the association of GM electric vehicles with fires. For two, its generally considered a bad idea to put your coolest styling and/or tech in low-end models. The current Blazer is part of the lower half of the current Chevrolet SUV/crossover lineup. Start at the high-end and let it trickle down. Make it small if you want, but dissociate it from the low-end Blazer name.

This would have been a good opportunity to bring back the nostalgia name Nomad. It implies widespread movement and range.

I wonder if it has something to do with bringing the Blazer back as a boring rear end crossover at the same time Ford brought back the Bronco as an exciting toy car and halo model for their SUV line. Electrifying the Blazer gives it some cache.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Blazer is selling very well though. It’s on track to hit 70+k units sold in the US for three years in a row.

I agree it’s nowhere near as exciting as the Bronco, which will probably top 90k US sales this year, but it’s not unpopular. The Blazer sold 95k in 2020 alone.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bij posted:

I don't think I am prepared for how much of a nightmare owning one would be but goddamn the Tonale is hot.

Toenail

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The Blazer is selling very well though. It’s on track to hit 70+k units sold in the US for three years in a row.

I agree it’s nowhere near as exciting as the Bronco, which will probably top 90k US sales this year, but it’s not unpopular. The Blazer sold 95k in 2020 alone.

A better comparison is the Bronco Sport, which moved about 100k units last year in its first year in production. I don't disagree with the premise that the Blazer is doing fine, though Ford has clearly been more successful with their iconic nameplate revival.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

GM’s complete lack of a vehicle to fit the Wrangler Competitor segment has baffled me for a few years now. It’s like they just don’t care to participate.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Toyota not bringing back the FJ Cruiser is even more baffling. They didn't even stop selling it in NA that long ago!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Toyota not bringing back the FJ Cruiser is even more baffling. They didn't even stop selling it in NA that long ago!

eh why bother when they can sell every single 4runner and tacoma they make at MSRP+ even before the Weird Times

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's rumored to be an electric FJ looking vehicle to be coming in the second part of the decade.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Even the weak rear end internal combustion Blazer is more exciting than the Bronco Sport though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

Even the weak rear end internal combustion Blazer is more exciting than the Bronco Sport though.

how

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

PBCrunch posted:

That shiny part that might be glass, might be piano black trim on the Blazer EV is almost certainly plastic. GM has been putting plastic where glass used to go for six or seven decades.

Found a shot of the little rear side windows from the interior. Not as bad as I expected I guess. I could still see something out of them if I looked backwards, but yeah, there is a ton of plastic trim in those sections too.
Id seriously have to leave the rear seats down when driving by myself, or pop those rear headrests off. With the sloping rear shape of the car, that rear glass is loving tiny from the inside :(

Also if anyone has not driven a new Bronco, the rear visibility is amazing. I was shocked about how much I could see on the sides and behind me when driving one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Dr. Lunchables posted:

GM’s complete lack of a vehicle to fit the Wrangler Competitor segment has baffled me for a few years now. It’s like they just don’t care to participate.

To be fair to GM, no one else did either until Ford decided they would try?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The aforementioned FJ cruiser was somewhere in that wheelhouse. GM had the brand to make a sporty off-roader too, with Hummer. Or the Trailblazer.

It’s more that GM saw (or didn’t) what was happening with the Raptor then did not respond at all. Toyota has the TRD pro stuff, Chrysler has all of Jeep, then the TRX. Chevy did the… high country? I think? Then revived the Blazer name during the Bronco reissue hype and made a city focused SUV. They did it again with the Trailblazer.

I know I’m Monday Morning QB’ing here, but it seems like they’re leaving money on the table.

And I know they don’t make money; but GM has/had the platform to make a hot hatch, but completely gave up that space after the cobalt SS and the HHR SS.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else seeing new car dealers that have had completely empty lots for months start filling up with used cars? The only thing they've had is used cars but even those were sparse. One that has been really empty had an almost completely full lot today.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

fknlo posted:

Anyone else seeing new car dealers that have had completely empty lots for months start filling up with used cars? The only thing they've had is used cars but even those were sparse. One that has been really empty had an almost completely full lot today.

Repos are going up like crazy, so the used car market is getting flooded with inventory. Hopefully this means prices will go down, but the gently caress knows right now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

Repos are going up like crazy, so the used car market is getting flooded with inventory. Hopefully this means prices will go down, but the gently caress knows right now.

I keep hearing rumblings about carvana or one of those companies being on the verge of going under and I'm all for it. I had to back out on a new Civic because I'm buying a house so I need to start that poo poo up again and I'd rather just buy a 3 year old one but that's financially irresponsible at this point.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

fknlo posted:

Yup. We have a place in town like that. Its massive, and for ages it sat empty or maybe had less than 10 cars total.
This last weekend it was filled up with all kinds of used cars out of no where.
There is an orange i-pace I kinda want to go drive just to say I did.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Some rumors floating around that Dodge will bring back the Hellcat Durango for ‘23.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I am still mad GM never made the Hummer HX.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PBCrunch posted:

It may be more exciting (its not IMO), but I see a ton of Bronco Sports around, which is impressive considering the newness of it. Maybe the Sport is just more distinctive than a generic blob.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 21, 2022

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh why bother when they can sell every single 4runner and tacoma they make at MSRP+ even before the Weird Times

Hell, the 4Runner set a sales record in 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Godzilla07 posted:

Hell, the 4Runner set a sales record in 2021

My wife is in to 4runners (as women who consider themselves “outdoorsy” do) so I’ve been paying attention to when the new one comes out. As far as I can tell, it’ll be never with the way the old one still sells.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ilkhan posted:

It may be more exciting (its not IMO), but I see a ton of Bronco Sports around, which is impressive considering the newness of it. Maybe the Sport is just more distinctive than a generic blob.

Iirc, the Bronco Sport is an Escape with a body kit. I assume to rush the name to market?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Honda Civic Type R videos are popping up on youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODN00DfEK-U

A bunch of youtube channels have the same kind of walk-around video, showing the exterior and interior. No mention of price or hp/tq numbers.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 21, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Read about a new car? - Pay $10/month for the ability to use air conditioning!

I'm honored.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

kimcicle posted:

A bunch of youtube channels have the same kind of walk-around video, showing the exterior and interior. No mention of price or hp/tq numbers.

I feel like as an adult I could drive this without feeling ashamed of myself.
I like the exterior a lot more than I did the outgoing one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kimcicle posted:

The rear end is a definite improvement but I'm not sure about the rest of it. Overall I still prefer the FK8, and an in the process of buying one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The aforementioned FJ cruiser was somewhere in that wheelhouse. GM had the brand to make a sporty off-roader too, with Hummer. Or the Trailblazer.

It’s more that GM saw (or didn’t) what was happening with the Raptor then did not respond at all.\

I guess the retro styling brings it into the same market but only just given you can't take the roof or doors off. Plus it sold like poo poo elsewhere cos petrol only, you had to really want the styling to buy one over a Prado on which it's based if you didn't live in the US or somewhere else with cheap fuel.

I agree GM is dumb as gently caress for not slapping one of the supercharged motors and some suspension on a Silverado or whatever, but lol that's GM for you. Hell, go the other way and slam it instead since Ford and Dodge *aren't* doing that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kimcicle posted:

The FK8 is a visual riot, especially in light colors, but I am not feeling the looks on this one at all.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Not feeling the new exterior. Watching that made me consider buying a last gen type R until I remembered I already had a nice sedan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oof that wing yiiiikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WTFBEES posted:

I am still mad GM never made the Hummer HX.

Thats just the vehicle from halo...