Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does anyone know if the racebox app will let me use my phone as a camera and overlay the telemetry? Because if so, that would be perfect. Unfortunately, their website doesn't have a lot of info.

Edit: The RaceChrono app does. I think I will probably go that way. Now the question is what mounting hardware should I get so my phone and racebox don't hit me in the face?

Double Edit: Looks like Dragy does too. Anyone have a solid preference between the Dragy and the Racebox mini?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's an extra step, and it seems that all of the apps have caught up by now, but an option is to use something like RaceRender to do the overlay in post.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

It's an extra step, and it seems that all of the apps have caught up by now, but an option is to use something like RaceRender to do the overlay in post.

I saw that. RaceChrono just does that out of the box and both the racebox mini and the dragy need to be connected to an app to work anyways, so I may as well just run RaceChrono.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Phone posted:

gopro with a mount that doesn't vibrate like mad?

The newer(?) ones do a remarkably good job of correcting vibrations. I have an 8 that I mount to the dome light bracket and it comes out smooth even on rough tracks. I put my old 3 in the same place once and it came out looking like someone attached an electric toothbrush to it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gigi Galli posted:

The newer(?) ones do a remarkably good job of correcting vibrations. I have an 8 that I mount to the dome light bracket and it comes out smooth even on rough tracks. I put my old 3 in the same place once and it came out looking like someone attached an electric toothbrush to it.

Have they finally fixed the broken stabilization that pans to the outside of corners?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

Have they finally fixed the broken stabilization that pans to the outside of corners?

No, and the app is worse than it used to be.

Got my best lap from Tuesdays Track Night at The Ridge. Crappy GoPro Hero8 footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaznsrHHLtg

Also for previous Hans device chat. I've been using a Necksgen for years and haven't had any issues with it. It's also great if you swap between a formula car and production cars like I used to.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 15, 2022

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Lol no, and I hate pretty much everything else about it but the vibration correction is good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NinjaTech posted:

The new garbage app :argh: won't connect to my camera (old hero) because it's running old firmware but I can't update it because it won't connect to the app. I'm sure there's a fairly easy workaround but I haven't bothered so far, I just push the button on the camera and stick the memory card in a computer to download videos.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

just use a phone and harry's lap timer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol no, and I hate pretty much everything else about it but the vibration correction is good.

NinjaTech posted:

Got my best lap from Tuesdays Track Night at The Ridge. Crappy GoPro Hero8 footage

NitroSpazzz posted:

The new garbage app :argh: won't connect to my camera (old hero) because it's running old firmware but I can't update it because it won't connect to the app. I'm sure there's a fairly easy workaround but I haven't bothered so far, I just push the button on the camera and stick the memory card in a computer to download videos.

Beautiful :lol:

Also, Ninja, that thing looks like a ton of fun.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Looking to add some data to my driving since I feel myself plateauing and tired of loving around with phone apps. I was at the track on Sunday and ended up with only logging one lap across 6 sessions because Harry’s was refusing to cooperate with my external gps.

Anyone have experience with either AIM Solo or Garmin Catalyst? The Catalyst seems like it would give me more actionable data quicker, but I do wish it was capable of exporting data to do more analysis (not that I would ever get around to actually doing it and trying to make sense of the squiggly lines)

Also discovered this nifty looking tool that pulls full data out of a GoPro video, using the onboard 18hz gps and accelerometers and it looks promising too. So considering Catalyst plus that for now. But all the hardcore guys swear by AIM :shrug:

https://www.race-technology.com/us/gopro

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I run the AIM setup (Solo 2 DL / Smartycam) and I like it a lot but their ecosystem sucks in terms of cost and video quality. If you want to add extra sensors on top of what you can output over CAN you get to step up to something like the dash or MXM. Not all sensors can easily be added to the overlay, some cars always output 12v over the OBD cable even when off so the auto on will run the system all the time, and CAN IDs aren't available for all cars.

Plus side is that everything just works and you never have to think about the system. Turns on with the car, starts recording automatically, data is overlaid on the fly, everything is charged over CAN 12v (or OBD port which is generally CAN). Solo 2 DL tracks are shared so there is no needing to offset the start / finish line (beacon position in AIM speak) to overlay data provided by other people.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 15, 2022

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wouldn't trust the GPS on a Gopro lol

I've heard nothing but good things about the AIM Solo 2 DL, it just werks.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The AIM Solo 2 DL is awesome as a piece of hardware but the software you have to use in order to post process the data or load new configurations is a disaster. You can tell it was designed by the same people that did the hardware; it’s bloated and has a high learning curve.

That said once you figure out the post processing interface you can get some fantastic car specific data for almost any car you can imagine, in addition to the over-OBD2 stuff.

BlackMK4 posted:

I run the AIM setup (Solo 2 DL / Smartycam) and I like it a lot but their ecosystem sucks in terms of cost and video quality.

Isn’t there a fairly new smartycam? I wonder if the video improved. Good to know though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gigi Galli posted:

Isn’t there a fairly new smartycam? I wonder if the video improved. Good to know though.
There is, I've only seen one video from it so far and it may have misrepresented the video quality. Video was pretty dark and the focus favored the foreground rather than the track ahead.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We've ran the AIM Solo stuff since they were released as a general lap timer and gauge for am I going faster or slower than last lap or best lap. We downloaded the data a few times to look at it and compare drivers but that was rare.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: i haz a plan

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2022

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hi, I'm an AIM Solo DL user who is data oriented.

I hate the AIM analysis software so badly I'm pondering shelling out for the version of GEMS Data Analysis that lets you import csvs, but am also looking at like 4 other options too. The hardware Just Works and does a lot of useful stuff, but I want to analyze the data to figure out what worked and what didn't and it's awful.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Anyone have experience with Hawk or G-LOC brand track pads for a heavy rear end car? My last two cars (miata, cayman) could just use oem poo poo because the miata weighs 40 pounds and the porsche pads were designed to get tracked in the first place. Now, however, I am driving a 3,800 pound stinger that probably can't get away with a high performance street pad. It seems my options are limited to Hawk's DTC line and G-LOC's R line. So I'm thinking

Front:
Hawk DTC-50 or
G-LOC R16

Rear:
Hawk DTC-30 or
G-LOC R12

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Do you want to maintain separate rotors for track use, or just swap pads? One of the big advantages with G-loc is that you can swap between their street pad and track pads without re-bedding. I would not run R12s on the street much, they're loud. I'm happy with R12/R12 in a 4000lb, 415hp Chevrolet SS on Hankook RS4s for track use, and I swap to their GS-1 pad the rest of the time.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I used to drive a GTO. Never used G-LOC and was never really happy with the Hawk pads.

I eventually settled on Carbotech. XP10/12 seemed roughly equivalent to DTC-60/-70 to me as far as braking force goes. What I liked about the Carbotechs was that there was good braking force even when dead cold. I could swap pads at my leisure before and after the track, not at the track. Pad wear was worse than Hawk and rotor wear was better. But practically the Hawks would chunk so bad that they'd carve grooves in the rotors, and then they'd destroy each other in quick order. With Carbotech, as long as the rotors weren't cracked, I'd just slap pads and send it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Scionix posted:

Anyone have experience with Hawk or G-LOC brand track pads for a heavy rear end car? My last two cars (miata, cayman) could just use oem poo poo because the miata weighs 40 pounds and the porsche pads were designed to get tracked in the first place. Now, however, I am driving a 3,800 pound stinger that probably can't get away with a high performance street pad. It seems my options are limited to Hawk's DTC line and G-LOC's R line. So I'm thinking

Front:
Hawk DTC-50 or
G-LOC R16

Rear:
Hawk DTC-30 or
G-LOC R12

I drive a pretty beefy boi (evo x) and I have used both.

I ran G-Loc R10’s in the front and 8’s in the rear to good results. They produce a decent amount of dust but it doesn’t really stick to your wheels, which is nice. The noise level is low. I will say that they work much better on initial bite than any sort of progressive braking, especially after heating up. Once you get them hot they stop you really quick and hold it throughout the pedal range. Trail braking is a little difficult because of this but you get used to it and can adjust.

I’m currently running DTC-60’s on all wheels and they are much better at giving you a braking range which is great on the street, and makes it easier to trail brake on the track. The dust they produce is obscene and they are fairly loud even at operating temp; though. I’m fairly certain they are cheaper (at least for me) than the G-LOCs, but don’t quote me on that. They definitely need more pressure on the pedal when they are cold.

I’ve been using slotted rotors for both and the wear on them and the rotors seems pretty close, though I’ve managed longer on the G-LOC’s. They’ll both need to be replaced at the end of an average track season for me; 5 or 6 track days max depending on your style and where you’re driving.

Honestly I could take either one. Just need to know what you want ahead of time. I’m like the only person in the track world that has never run carbotechs, so maybe those are the best.

I’m sure you know this but just in case consider upgrading your brake lines and changing your fluid to something high temp capable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I also had pad chunking / delamination issues with the DTC60 on my S2000, but I was probably asking too much of them. I had good luck with Stoptech SR33 and Raybestos ST43 after moving to a Stoptech BBK on that car.

Miata came with Gloc R12/R10 on Wilwood Superlite / Miata Sport brakes and I was really not happy with their lack of bite and the amount of pedal pressure required. I moved to R18 in the front and they felt a lot better and closer to what I was looking for, but the car never felt as good on the brakes as the S2000 did (for a number of reasons).

BRZ has CSG C2 pads on Stoptech 355mm / Stoptech 345mm bbk and the car straight loving stops but is can be coaxed into ice mode on demand (meaning it is easily worked around too). I intend on replacing the pads with Raybestos ST43 when the time comes because I do not buy the hype or price behind the CSG pads, but maybe my mind will change once I try something else back to back.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
As a side note to this, has anyone used Hawk's new ER-1s? I got them for track days to replace my Hawk Blues. I'm going to Laguna Seca on Tuesday so I'll find out anyway and report back on how they work with 1.8 Miata brakes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Anyone mess with the Pagid or Endless pads? Available compounds are RSL29, RST4 and RS44 for Pagid, ME20 and ME22 for Endless. Using DTC60/30 now and don't really have any complaints but I'm not averse to trying new things.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I have run DTC's and Carbotech XP10 on my Legacy, and while they are both dusty, the Hawk dust turns to brown cement if you get it wet. It's a huge pain in the rear end to get off of the side of the car, I wound up claybaring it but plenty of Iron-X might do it as well. So if it's a street car and you can't wash the car after the track day you are in for a bad time if you get caught in the rain. The Carbotech dust comes right off just like regular road dirt.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Thank you for all the responses! Unfortunately the hawks or g-locs are literally my only options, not a lot of aftermarket choices. Is the R10 R8 combo livable on the street? I was planning on having to swap pads, but if I didn’t have to that would be nice

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Starting with R10 is fine, and if it's too loud you can swap down to GS-1. If you're doing events every month I'd probably stay on track pads, if it's 3 per year with big seasonal breaks it's nice to not sound like a bus.

G-Loc has a lot in common with Carbotech: some family members split off to form the new company, and the products are more alike than either is to most other brands. Bite is fine at low temperatures, dust is mild, and "easy to modulate and release" can also be described as "squishy" if you don't like them.

You may want to use the same compound front and rear if your ABS isn't dumb. Going lower on the rears is mostly for non-ABS cars.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

heffray posted:

Starting with R10 is fine, and if it's too loud you can swap down to GS-1. If you're doing events every month I'd probably stay on track pads, if it's 3 per year with big seasonal breaks it's nice to not sound like a bus.

G-Loc has a lot in common with Carbotech: some family members split off to form the new company, and the products are more alike than either is to most other brands. Bite is fine at low temperatures, dust is mild, and "easy to modulate and release" can also be described as "squishy" if you don't like them.

You may want to use the same compound front and rear if your ABS isn't dumb. Going lower on the rears is mostly for non-ABS cars.

Yeah, it'd be more of a 3 per year type deal than monthly events. Honestly the noise doesn't bother me, it'd be more if driving the car and stopping became an ordeal at street temperatures. Thanks for the info.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I put hawk 60s all around on my Focus RS and it stops fine cold. It really does have the most annoying loving noise though.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

What would be a realistic towing capacity target that would support safely towing an E92 M3 (1600kg) on an open aluminium trailer (700 - 1000kg)? I'm looking at a midsize SUV (F15 X5, 2nd gen Cayenne, etc) to serve as a track tow vehicle as well as being a general commute/errand/utility vehicle, and the listed maximum tow capacities range from 2700kg - 3500kg. Is this range realistic or do I need to be looking larger?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

When I've done that math (haven't picked or bought anything) adding fuel, tools, spares etc bumped the weight up a decent amount. Something to keep in mind is all.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

honda whisperer posted:

When I've done that math (haven't picked or bought anything) adding fuel, tools, spares etc bumped the weight up a decent amount. Something to keep in mind is all.

It's a good point - I don't really have a good feel for what a typical day's worth of fuel/tools/spares would weigh, perhaps 300kg?

The current plan is to use it for Nürburgring (touristfahrten) trips to begin with, so less need for a full set of spare wheels/parts/etc for a whole weekend - it's more to avoid needing to drive the M3 all the way there and back and to avoid being stranded in the case of a failure or accident on track.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I had used the Hawk DTC-60 on my STi in the past and always took kind of a dim view of the pad. However, after running Carbo XP12s F/R on my BRZ for the past 5 or so years, I switched to DTC 70 because of shortages, and although the dusting and noise is horrible, the pad seems pretty good to me. I was wondering if they reformulated the DTC line recently.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 21, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Scionix posted:

Thank you for all the responses! Unfortunately the hawks or g-locs are literally my only options, not a lot of aftermarket choices. Is the R10 R8 combo livable on the street? I was planning on having to swap pads, but if I didn’t have to that would be nice

Carbotech will make anything you want. If they don't have it listed on their website, you can give them a call. At worst you'd need to provide them the backing plates.

heffray posted:

G-Loc has a lot in common with Carbotech: some family members split off to form the new company, and the products are more alike than either is to most other brands.

I didn't realize that, but looking at the websites they're quite similar. I'd bet G-Loc would make pads specific for you too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

This - consider that in most cases your maximum towed weight is only there if the tow vehicle is unloaded. A 2700kg tow rating with 2600kg of trailer is technically safe, but if you do the math of the max gross combined weight rating, and then subtract out the curb weight of the tow vehicle and the weight of the trailer, you're going to be looking at pitifully small numbers.

I would focus on the higher end of the range you've listed out so far, and with that much weight I'm hoping/assuming it's going to be an electrically-braked trailer with a trailer brake controller in the tow vehicle. Motronic has had good luck towing with his Cayenne, but I think his is a first-generation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Whoever organizes these things - stop doing them at the rear end crack of dawn. Start at 9-10 and end at 8 for the love of God.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo RaceChrono is so good. I just found out it lets me play back two laps side by side to analyze the differences.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Lord. Going through old AIM datalogs... need to find good apples to apples comparison, but looks like Hoosier R7s are good for maybe 0.2G more than Toyo RRs? Just unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Lord. Going through old AIM datalogs... need to find good apples to apples comparison, but looks like Hoosier R7s are good for maybe 0.2G more than Toyo RRs? Just unreal.

It is a big jump, for sure. The massive tire point change with NASA this year still hasn't brought complete parity.