Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Lowclock posted:

Judging by the speed ranges I'm pretty sure it's the fast mode that's missing, not the torque mode.

Yeah maybe. But the better chuck and the fact that the pricier drill is brushless also suggest more motivation for drill bits and screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just suffered through it today, but for $99 I may just buy that one I mentioned and sell the old one.

IMO keep them both you will likely have a time where you need to drill several holes of two sizes and drive fasteners in each hole. Eg pilot hole, 9/16 hole, drive fastener with washer into ____.

Having two drills and a driver for these times saves a LOT of time changing bits. Your times worth money on projects

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any suggestions on a good tubing straightener for 5/16” NiCopp tubing? I have one of these for 3/16”:

The only one of those I can find for 5/16” is $100 and looks like a typo on the size. I see multi-size straighteners are only a few bucks more, I wouldn’t be opposed to that but have no idea what to look for.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CarForumPoster posted:

IMO keep them both you will likely have a time where you need to drill several holes of two sizes and drive fasteners in each hole. Eg pilot hole, 9/16 hole, drive fastener with washer into ____.

Having two drills and a driver for these times saves a LOT of time changing bits. Your times worth money on projects

The goon should also buy a few different angle grinders too.
One with a grinding disc, another with flap disc, third one with cut off disc, fourth with a wire cup brush attachment, and the last with a flat wire disc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You forgot the nunchucks grinder, circular saw blade grinder, propeller grinder, and throwing star grinder

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any recommendations for wheel dollies? Would be using them with a classic mini on a concrete garage with no seams. There is a slope though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The cheapest hazard fraught ones would be fine.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

BigPaddy posted:

The cheapest hazard fraught ones would be fine.
Mine came with all but one of the casters stripped, one was snapped off. I didn't feel like the hour round trip was worth the effort and welded the casters on. They work great with a 2000lb car on concrete.

If you go this route open the boxes in the parking lot of the store.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

SpeedFreek posted:

Mine came with all but one of the casters stripped, one was snapped off. I didn't feel like the hour round trip was worth the effort and welded the casters on. They work great with a 2000lb car on concrete.

If you go this route open the boxes in the parking lot of the store.

Agree on checking anything like that in the store or parking lot as they just take anything back and throw it on the shelf again. I have 4 of the cheapest ones that have been left out under snow for months, over loaded and used with railway sleepers to roll a car with no suspension around and they worked better than the motofeet I have for SBC and Pontiac V8s that I needed to replace all the casters on since they couldn't take the weight of a long block.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sounds good. Thanks all.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

It took me three trips to the hardware store for brass fittings and bits of pipe, but I got the automatic drain valve hooked up to my air compressor.

The Amazon-sourced automatic compressor drain valve failed completely. I had it running a very relaxed schedule of one 30-second automatic opening per day. Something happened inside the valve and it started leaking all the time. I removed the auto valve and I'm just going to rig up a drain extension that is easier to reach. The drain that came with the compressor tank requires laying down on the floor and spinning the valve open with my fingers. I'm going to get an elbow and a quarter-turn valve to make the manual drain process as convenient as it can be.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PBCrunch posted:

The Amazon-sourced automatic compressor drain valve failed completely. I had it running a very relaxed schedule of one 30-second automatic opening per day. Something happened inside the valve and it started leaking all the time. I removed the auto valve and I'm just going to rig up a drain extension that is easier to reach. The drain that came with the compressor tank requires laying down on the floor and spinning the valve open with my fingers. I'm going to get an elbow and a quarter-turn valve to make the manual drain process as convenient as it can be.

That's how I set mine up. Bonus is that you can dump the pressure alarmingly fast. Not enough to hurt anything, but it's a lot louder than the stock drain.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I finally received these, I can hardly wait to try them out: soldering aid pliers.
I feel like these could be the answer I've been looking for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap basic socket set that I will leave at work and use a handful of times per year? I have the cheapest Harbor Freight set from several years ago and that is too cheap and I hate using it (came with a 3/8 driver and a bunch of 1/4 sockets and I lost the adapter, the sockets have no tolerance and are sized weird, the case doesn't hold anything right and it's always mixed up). Just some basic sizes and standard and metric, nothing fancy. If it's an odd size, I'll borrow a tool from the people in the shop.

Edit: I'm okay with getting something else from HF, just this one was $7 for 40 pieces, so everything was super cheaply made.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 19, 2022

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Uthor posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap basic socket set that I will leave at work and use a handful of times per year? I have the cheapest Harbor Freight set from several years ago and that is too cheap and I hate using it (came with a 3/8 driver and a bunch of 1/4 sockets and I lost the adapter, the sockets have no tolerance and are sized weird, the case doesn't hold anything right and it's always mixed up). Just some basic sizes and standard and metric, nothing fancy. If it's an odd size, I'll borrow a tool from the people in the shop.

Edit: I'm okay with getting something else from HF, just this one was $7 for 40 pieces, so everything was super cheaply made.

Would something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-4-in-and-3-8-in-Drive-Socket-Set-34-Piece-DWMT73804/205806349 work? For me with small sets it's a big deal to have them come in a case like this does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That would work, though I'd probably keep my spare 1/4 wrench in the tool box so I don't have to deal with using an adapter for half of the sockets.

Thanks!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Do you need 1/4, 3/8, or both? I've been happy with my Tekton sets that I bought for taking to work as needed, or for working on vehicles away from home. I mostly grab them even when I'm at home, just because it's more convenient to have the whole set in front of me rather than going back to the big box. They're about double the price from when I got them 5 years ago, but I'd absolutely buy them again even at the current price.

https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-6-point-socket-and-ratchet-set-skt15301

https://www.tekton.com/1-4-inch-drive-6-point-socket-and-ratchet-set-skt05301

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

PitViper posted:

Do you need 1/4, 3/8, or both? I've been happy with my Tekton sets that I bought for taking to work as needed, or for working on vehicles away from home. I mostly grab them even when I'm at home, just because it's more convenient to have the whole set in front of me rather than going back to the big box. They're about double the price from when I got them 5 years ago, but I'd absolutely buy them again even at the current price.

I also like the tekton stuff I've purchased. I bought a really nice Gearwrench set in 1/4 and 3/8 and then I heard about tekton like a month later and kinda wish I had bought them instead (like 5/6 years ago, maybe in this thread...). I bought their impact sockets in long and short form and they've worked great and come in fairly compact plastic cases that have stood up well to the desert sun and heat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PitViper posted:

Seem nice, but I'm not going to spend that much on something that just sits under my desk 355 days of the year. This job, 1/4" drive is good enough. Used hand tools more often at the old place, but brought poo poo from home on the occasions that I actually do assembly work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nadmonk posted:

I finally received these, I can hardly wait to try them out: soldering aid pliers.
I feel like these could be the answer I've been looking for.

I don't understand? Are you lap splicing fat wires? I would, at the minimum, hook splice, or even better, Western Union those. It removes the need for fancy pliers to hold the wires. It's also way more secure, both electrically and mechanically.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I like this kind of wire holder. It is light enough to use in situations where one or both of the wires to be joined can't be relocated.

I make them myself in different sizes out of little pieces of coat hanger wire and crimp-on alligator clamps.

On the subject of rarely-used tool kits, I would probably recommend going 12-point for the sockets and wrenches. Yes, the grip on the fasteners isn't as good as six-point, but you have more versatility in terms of being able to remove six, twelve, or sometimes four-pointed fasteners.

Also get some of those metric Allen, standard Allen, and Torx key arrays that fold up like a Swiss Army knife.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Also get some of those metric Allen, standard Allen, and Torx key arrays that fold up like a Swiss Army knife.

I hate those! I got them for my old job and the base was often getting jammed on poo poo when I was using it. And there's no short end for tight fits. I still have them in the tool box, but I brought a spare English set of individual keys that I grab first.

I see them being useful for people who misplace their tools. I'm pretty good at keeping track of my poo poo.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Uthor posted:

I hate those! I got them for my old job and the base was often getting jammed on poo poo when I was using it. And there's no short end for tight fits. I still have them in the tool box, but I brought a spare English set of individual keys that I grab first.

I see them being useful for people who misplace their tools. I'm pretty good at keeping track of my poo poo.

Right. They're good for "outpost" tools that aren't used often (and are put back away even less).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've got a bunch of tekton stuff and it seems pretty good except for my punches. They seem to bend, or the ends mushroom out. Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations for punches.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

Heh, I'm the opposite way, I got a set specifically for work stuff. Allen wrenches at my work are scattered around in drawers, in half-full holders, etc, and we of course use a mix of metric and SAE fasteners... so when you're trying to remove a small buttonhead screw from someplace you usually don't know what the hex size is, if it's Metric or SAE, and you're digging around in a drawer full of mixed wrenches of questionable provenance.

So, I have one Metric set and one SAE set (different colors) and every time I need to go take something apart, I just grab both. They do kind of suck to worth with, but they suck in a way that's not nearly as frustrating as my other options.

For home use I have some nice L-shaped wrenches, but hell if I'm going to bring my nice tools to work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Heh, that reminds me of my dad's Allen wrenches being in one bag and I just have to try them all to find the one I need.

Having an organizer (and using it!) helps.

Which does remind me that I keep meaning to buy a new set for his house so I don't have to go through that poo poo anymore.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

Heh, that reminds me of my dad's Allen wrenches being in one bag and I just have to try them all to find the one I need.

Having an organizer (and using it!) helps.

Which does remind me that I keep meaning to buy a new set for his house so I don't have to go through that poo poo anymore.

I’d hold off. If he’s anything like my dad, he will turn it into chaos the first opportunity he gets.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

nitsuga posted:

I’d hold off. If he’s anything like my dad, he will turn it into chaos the first opportunity he gets.

...unless they're all bolted together and fold out like a Swiss army knife.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Cat Hatter posted:

I asked a tech to grab me a set of Allen keys, I was half folded into a machine to figure out an issue. He came back with one of those…

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nitsuga posted:

He's too old and sick to do anything like that around the house these days, so they are only in my hands.

Haha, I tried to clean up his storage of random bolts and screws. All mixed together of random sizes in whatever cups he had on hand. Ended up with two containers with small dividers and they aren't well organized, but at least one is all bolts, one is all screws, and they are split up as tiny, small, medium, large, huge. At least I have one place to look for hardware instead of dozens of cups that also have pieces of rust and old batteries and whatever else ended up in there.

Edit: I also found some Mitutoyo analog calipers in a box under another box under a table that hasn't been opened in probably a decade. Took those for myself!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 21, 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Cat Hatter posted:

I used to work with someone who disassembled one of those so he could fit a hex key in a weird spot (and turn it with a screwdriver jammed in the hole). I reassembled it and a couple days later found all the keys removed again and thrown in the already horrifyingly unorganized toolbox.

The trick is to just never work with or around anybody else, ever.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I hear you, Uthor. I may try a set of folders for my parents though.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the folding kind in my "grab bag" that has screwdrivers, a small hammer, mallet, couple small files/rasps, paint can opener, small adjustable wrenches, drill bits and cordless drill, etc. Basically a quick bag to grab and take in the house if I need to fix something quick and I'm not sure exactly what I might need. But I've got nicer L-keys and T-handle ones that stay in the tool chest or on the workbench.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Hypnolobster posted:

The trick is to just never work with or around anybody else, ever.
My coworkers keep taking the extension cords and channel locks off the service trucks, open the drill index and half the bits are snapped in half but at least they were put away I guess.

On a related note what brick and mortar stores sell Knipex tools?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

SpeedFreek posted:

On a related note what brick and mortar stores sell Knipex tools?

Please don't ask this without telling us the geographical area in which you live. I could suggest Menards, but if you live on the coasts that's a totally useless answer.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sorry, I'm actually pretty close to their hq in northern Wisconsin right now. I'm so used to Menards pushing master force so much I didn't think to even think they would sell them. I'll probably pick up more drill bits while I'm there.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cat Hatter posted:

Those are handy to keep in the glovebox. I have a Torx set in there as well.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

A while back my dad gave me a cheap Harbor Freight grinder that he probably got for free with a coupon. I tossed it on the shelf, still in the box, and finally got around to changing the grease on it today.

Afterwords I decided to see who else rebranded this hunk-o-junk and found it here:

https://www.eastwood.com/4-5-in-angle-grinder.html

Does Eastwood actually design any of their own stuff or is it all bought off Ali? I can find pretty much all their stuff, with the same pictures, from multiple other places. Even the brake tools everyone in this thread recommends.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How about their 135 mig welder? I've been very happy with mine, but I'd be a little cross if it turned out I paid 100 extra for a brand named AliExpress product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

This has *exactly* the same specs, but the chassis is slightly different:

The same 25-135A, 20% duty cycle, even advertises ‘spool gun ready!’. I would be surprised if it didn’t come out of the same factory.

You gave me a good challenge, though, it’s tough to dig up discontinued import welders.