Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Got a link for that artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Second on that.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

pretty happy with this

that is the canon WoL there yknow

I asked in here about getting a picture like this done and everyone seemed to think it'd cost hundreds of dollars, but this dude's been churning em out for a few months now. I saw him on Reddit a while back and he finally got to mine. I knew there'd be a big market for this kinda thing if you can draw and you don't mind doing fan OC stuff. The art isn't a PERFECT match but it's close enough to go up on the wall, and I figure it'd be even easier to make it work if you made your own stock Scions image and offered to draw in people's characters.

I mean getting that done from scratch would still coat hundreds of dollars and tbh

Yeah I find it kinda tacky to paint over official art and sell that lol

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Looks good to me but how the hell have I never noticed the Urianger/Thancred fistbump before?!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Augus posted:

never, game’s canceled

Yep, Square Enix gave all the money to help NFT start ups

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NFT stands for Not For Thancred.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

NFT stands for Not For Thancred.

Not gonna lie, I feel like Thancred absolutely fits the "Doesn't understand crypto, invests in it" category

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel like that would be an Estinien move as well though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thancred is the guy who thinks his NFT ufiti is going to make him rich. Estinien is the guy who thinks his NFT ufiti looks kind of neat and hell, why not?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thancred is trying to figure out how to use his slurp juices to get 3 more cartridges for his gunblade

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Ryne! The slurp juices!"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On the other hand, Thancred grew up as a thief and pickpocket in Limsa Lominsa, I'm sure he knows a scam when he hears it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Uhhhh.... are servers hosed?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Macaluso posted:

Got a link for that artist?

I dunno if he has an official site or whatever, I just found him from this post.

Xun posted:

I mean getting that done from scratch would still coat hundreds of dollars and tbh

Yeah I find it kinda tacky to paint over official art and sell that lol

What I mean is that I'm surprised more people haven't tried to fill that niche. I asked about this in the thread once before -- if I was a freelance nerd fandom artist, I would create a couple stock drawings of the Scions (or the anime crew from whatever fandom I'm looking at) and offer to insert your OC for a reasonable price, and I could churn em out for not much more work than a single character. People here said it wouldn't work because of size and perspective and some other artsy stuff I don't understand well enough to argue about, but it seems like it works well enough even using someone else's stock drawing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phenotype posted:

What I mean is that I'm surprised more people haven't tried to fill that niche. I asked about this in the thread once before -- if I was a freelance nerd fandom artist, I would create a couple stock drawings of the Scions (or the anime crew from whatever niche I'm looking at) and offer to insert your OC for a reasonable price, and I could churn em out for not much more work than a single character. People here said it wouldn't work because of size and perspective and some other artsy stuff I don't understand well enough to argue about, but it seems like it works well enough even using someone else's stock drawing.

This shot works well regardless of height because it's a pretty wide piece without a real focus anyway, so it doesn't matter if your character is tall or short. I feel like to get a decent composition in a more focused piece with this approach, you'd need three pictures of each Scion depending on the height of the WoL: One for lalafel, one for average-height characters (midlanders, viera, miqo'te, female au ra, maybe the shorter elezen), and one for the tall fuckers (highlanders, roegadyn, hrothgar, taller elezen). And even then you'd have complications like sightlines. And of course if you'd want to add additional NPCs, they'd all need to pose with those same heights too, and then you'd have a couple niche things like how Y'shtola would probably pose differently if she were front-and-center versus in the background.

There's potential in the idea of selling what's essentially 'your WoL with a preselected lineup of cardboard NPC standees', but it's the sort of thing where to get the actual system going, there'd be a secret mountain of behind-the-scenes work.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's funny to hear female au ra as an average height character example when my lalafell is generally barely shorter than them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

It's funny to hear female au ra as an average height character example when my lalafell is generally barely shorter than them.

Yeah, they're the shortest non-potato.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 21, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They're still a full Lalafell taller than a Lalafell

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viera's ears should totally count.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, not gonna lie, I WOULD like to see a 190 cm au ra lady, but that's not generally possible without mods or weird temporary effects in game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regy Rusty posted:

They're still a full Lalafell taller than a Lalafell

They should measure stuff in Lalafell instead of Yalms a lot easier to understand.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Thancred probably has the highest success rate of trying to be cool and succeeding.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But how does he charge his glowey bullets now?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Hogama posted:

Well, not gonna lie, I WOULD like to see a 190 cm au ra lady, but that's not generally possible without mods or weird temporary effects in game.

There's a really tall Au'ra lady in Shisui. She's one of the mobs in that big pull through the doors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Viera's ears should totally count.

Reasonably if you were doing that art project we were talking about, viera would be in that same range as elezen of 'either tall or medium', but it'd more depend on ear prominence than actual size.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

super-redguy posted:

There's a really tall Au'ra lady in Shisui. She's one of the mobs in that big pull through the doors.

The Captain of the Guard. A female Au'ra about the size of an Elezen or a Roe. So they can be made big, just not by us.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

enemy models have a tendency to be larger than player models could possibly be. isn't there an absurdly huge lalafell in some thanalan fate?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Behold: the Forbidden Tall Au Ra Girl

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

a cartoon duck posted:

enemy models have a tendency to be larger than player models could possibly be. isn't there an absurdly huge lalafell in some thanalan fate?

Makes sense, it'd be a mess if a team-based boss were the same size as any given player. Hell, Old Praetorium kinda proved it, remember how much of a mess the Gaius and Lahabrea fights were when they were the same size as everyone else?

I like how the Omega raids handled it, by scaling the FFV and FFVI bosses up to a scale where they're about the same size relative to the average player that they were to V and VI's party members. Different problem, same solution!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 21, 2022

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Xaela ladies should be large, Raen dudes should be dainty. Come on you cowards, do a highlander/midlander split for all the races, even if it's just a height tweak.

Also it would have been hilarious if Veena Viera looked like this:

Emzedoh fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 21, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Behold: the Forbidden Tall Au Ra Girl

the forbidden taul ra :eyepop:

i honestly have never noticed prob 'cause i'm usually tanking in there and just buried in the mobs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are a couple of Lalafell dungeon bosses who are normal (tiny) size. On the other end of the spectrum, there's a massive Namazu boss FATE

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Give us a third subtype for each race. Sky Roes, Lowlanders, Miqo'te who are... Crepuscular or something...

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Lalafell Odin is the definitive best Odin

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Allarion posted:

If you're coming back to the game having not touched Summoner since before Endwalker, just re-slot and reread every skill since summoner got completely remade for the most part. If you just haven't touched summoner in several months, well, summoner at 79 is still almost exactly the same as a lvl 50 summoner. Arguably, summoner's rotation is basically set in stone by lvl 26.

Am I stuck with carbunkle as my out of combat pet?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Am I stuck with carbunkle as my out of combat pet?

If you mean minions, those are completely independent, you can have your choice of minion and also carbuncle.

If you mean can you chill in Limsa with Bahamut out, no you can't.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So also not titan, ifirt or garuda?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nope, closest you can get are the alternate Egi skins that Summoner used to use for pets.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
To clarify: you can glam the carbuncle to be the Ifrit, Titan or Garuda egi (or a different colored carbuncle), although it will still tag in the appropriate egi when you use the appropriate spell. The standaround NPC will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/0504982cac8/
You can glam each of Carbuncle, Garuda-Egi, Titan-Egi, and Ifrit-Egi to your choice of Carbuncle, Emerald Carbuncle (it's a slightly different shade of blue), Topaz Carbuncle, Ruby Carbuncle, Garuda-Egi, Titan-Egi, and Ifrit-Egi. It's only while they're normally out that you'll see the change, of course, and I don't believe this changes the full-size summons.