Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

'We as as a religious order don't want to take any responsibility for the vulnerable'

My apologies, what do you mean by this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

So how one joins a religious order/community is slightly different for each community, but they are FAR more rigorous in admitting candidates than you thought. I'll give a summary, then tell a bit of my story (sorry old timers who know it all already) to put it all into context. Firstly, the reason mental illness can be a reason to reject a candidate is because when you join a religious community it's akin to joining a family. If you have a mental illness that's untreated or poorly managed, you could have trouble living in community. But back to how one joins. Usually the prospective candidate starts in prayer and introspection to help guide where they want to go. Do they have a monastic heart? If they are a man do they feel called to the priesthood? Often people have a spiritual director to help discern this as well. Once this preliminary work has been worked on the prospective candidate will start researching different orders/communities. If they see one they like, they may reach out to the vocations director. From there, depending on the type of community, they may have a number of meetings with the vocations director, some visits to their monastery or community house, and if everyone gets the sense there may be a "vocation" (from the Latin word for "call") they may apply to the community. If they got this far, the next step is collecting letters of recommendation, having a medical exam done, being interviewed by members of the community, and having a massive battery of psychological tests done. That's pretty average. Who decides to accept is different for each community, some have a council, others one guy.

So I started by reaching out to the Jesuits. Their initial form asked about health concerns so I listed my bipolar diagnosis. I got a letter in that mail saying I was in no way suited for the Society because "people with your condition cannot live the Jesuit ideal of "availability." It was a letter so I couldn't ask what that even meant and plead my case. Also three days later my father died so that was a really bad week. Later I contacted the Dominicans, and when I met with the vocations director and when he asked about my health he straight up told me they wouldn't even consider someone with bipolar for the order, no matter how well treated because "what if you stop taking your meds." After that I visited a few monasteries but they didn't feel right. That was a few years ago. Last year I went to a monastery for a vocation visit and liked it, and the community seemed to like me. I asked to be considered for postulancy. I collected my letters, my baptism and confirmation certificates, my transcripts, and did a TON of psych tests. Unfortunately, the council of elders were split on their vote and I was rejected for the postulancy because, "his health is very good now, but if he has problems down the road can the community give him the care he would need." That turned out to be a blessing because I figured out I want to be a priest, and monks are meant to be fulfilled in their vocation without ordination. This new community I'm speaking to I'm still in the early stages.

Does that make sense? Anything else you're curious about?

This is very illuminating. I'm going to marinate on it a bit and may have additional questions later. The overlap all of these organizations have with the (new and improved) process of accession to the priesthood was new to me.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean, I kinda get it in a way, but 'We as as a religious order don't want to take any responsibility for the vulnerable' is a somewhat alarming position for them to take

I would assume the classical Catholic answer here is "we have other ways to take you under the wing" but I agree that a nominally all-encompassing worldwide religious organization should have a way for just about anyone to pursue dedicated religious life. A specific religious order doesn't have the same nominal responsibility I think.

e: oops

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 21, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean, I kinda get it in a way, but 'We as as a religious order don't want to take any responsibility for the vulnerable' is a somewhat alarming position for them to take
I imagine some of the idea with the Jesuits and these other groups is that you will get a number of people who are suffering from great challenges and will not be able to live up to the internal ideals and rules of that order, specifically, as opposed to the love of the Church writ large, which is for everyone. It would thus be more like being declined in your application to be a diocese's accountant or to build a new cathedral, rather than being excommunicated or even denied the opportunity to participate avidly in a religious life.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My apologies, what do you mean by this?

It just doesn't seem like having someone with bipolar is likely to be some huge burden since dealing with suffering is kinda in the wheelhouse of religion. If it came off as a slight I apologize, it wasn't meant that way.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There is something uncomfortable with the selection process of religious orders for me, too. Yes, institutions seek to survive and grow by selecting the best from its pool of potential members, but when that organization also carries the message of Christ, where the one who cannot build cathedrals or balance books is not less precious than the one who can, there's something that doesn't quite sit right with me in seeing how the selection process elevates some and disqualifies others.

I can see that it is not appropriate to give someone responsibilities beyond their ability, but I am not quite blown away by the compassion shown for "the stones the builders have rejected" in these stories of selection. Especially since in the Catholic Church, we are still dealing with the ill-effects of clericalism, as Pope Francis repeatedly points out. Being selected for a religious order, especially one perceived as especially elite, is still seen as receiving a position of prestige and power, even (or arguably driven) by the laity. If it was just about service, then anyone can serve in the capacity to which they are able, and this would be most pleasing to the Christ and should be celebrated triumphantly by the Christ's church.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Are there orders that are set up to accept people with various disabilities? Be they mental or physical? Seems wrong to turn away someone with a strong calling because the person is deaf or suffers from depression. Surely there are many tasks to be done and while not everyone is suited to every task there should be a task for everyone to perform. As long as the candidate is willing to accept her limitations?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

BattyKiara posted:

Are there orders that are set up to accept people with various disabilities? Be they mental or physical? Seems wrong to turn away someone with a strong calling because the person is deaf or suffers from depression. Surely there are many tasks to be done and while not everyone is suited to every task there should be a task for everyone to perform. As long as the candidate is willing to accept her limitations?

The Little Sisters Disciples of the Lamb in France are mostly women with Down's Syndrome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is a bit of a stretch i know but does anyone in here have connections with the Jain community in the SF Bay area, particularly the south bay?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Walk around South Bay loudly proclaiming that karmic value is primarily determined by intention; they’ll find you

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Caufman posted:

There is something uncomfortable with the selection process of religious orders for me, too. Yes, institutions seek to survive and grow by selecting the best from its pool of potential members, but when that organization also carries the message of Christ, where the one who cannot build cathedrals or balance books is not less precious than the one who can, there's something that doesn't quite sit right with me in seeing how the selection process elevates some and disqualifies others.

I think we have seen pretty clearly over the last decades that flawed messengers can do more to damage people's relationship with Christ than competent messengers can repair.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well some communities serve others in the world and other communities are just separate communities. They’re going to have differing criteria for admission.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

One of my Mother's grand-cousins or something like that was/is deaf and was in the Benediktinerkloster Engelberg. (was/is cause I have no idea if he's still alive). I think he was also restricted by his vow from talking to outsiders or something (the one time I visited he had to get an OK from the prior or so).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ulmont posted:

I think we have seen pretty clearly over the last decades that flawed messengers can do more to damage people's relationship with Christ than competent messengers can repair.

Should fear of doing wrong lead to excluding people who want to help but have problems they can't control and are not fault of their own?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I really fail to see the issue with being entirely upfront with "While your condition is currently well controlled, it may not always be, and we are not equipped to help in those circumstances." Yeah, it sucks. But not every organization is going to have the knowledge or resources to help someone in a mental or physical health crisis.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

While I don't think people with disabilities in religious communities is gonna be a major flaw in outreach (that would have more to do with the cosy relationship between bigots using Christianity as their cloak plus their facilitation in the public space),

Cythereal posted:

Should fear of doing wrong lead to excluding people who want to help but have problems they can't control and are not fault of their own?
is an interesting question, since I think it kind of pokes at what I see as a sort of double-purpose with a lot of the kind of, global Christian attitude to charitable works. (To be clear I am speaking of how the activity is described and considered, and not attempting to negate any actual or plausible outcomes.)

Namely: Are charitable works primarily for the benefit of the giver or the recipient?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cythereal posted:

Absolutely. I think you might agree that the Catholic Church might not want to accept as a candidate for priesthood someone struggling with pedophilic compulsions, for example, and after that the “exclude or not exclude” is just a line-drawing exercise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here is the thing. Monasteries and convents are often very small communities. It is reasonable to ask, "Can forty people, some/many of whom are already old, care for their existing members while also taking on a member who may (emphasis may) be too ill to help care for the rest of the community?" Communities have different charisms (roughly spiritual goals/gifts). A community that is already focused on social service is going (one hopes) to have different criteria than a community that is focused on "fast* all the time, study all the time, speak to (almost) nobody."

This isn't my religion or my goal in life, but I do/did a lot of reading about convents/monasteries/orders. Thirteen Orphans, I'll be praying for you.

* Fasting doesn't necessarily mean "not eating". In a Catholic/Orthodox sense, it often means "keep a restrained diet in quantity and/or quality." For example, no meat, butter, eggs ever, or only one meal a day, or some combination of the above.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Two more points:
1) The Jesuit ideal of "availability" doesn't mean "willing to do whatever I can for my brothers", it means "If the Superior General wants me to go to the Bahamas, I'll go to the Bahamas. If he wants me to go to Bahrain, I'll go to Bahrain." Ongoing psychiatric treatment becomes problematic under those circumstances; so would, for example, rheumatoid arthritis.
2) Most religious take a vow of poverty, which means their order pays all their bills. Even with excellent insurance, mental health care in the US can be expensive - and orders that live in community may not be interested in having someone use the monastery's car every $unit_of_time to go to an appointment.

BattyKiara posted:

Seems wrong to turn away someone with a strong calling because the person is deaf or suffers from depression.

The whole point of discernment - and discerning with a community - is that what I perceive as my calling might not be my calling. For example, if I thought I were called to the priesthood, it doesn't matter how certain I was of the call or how strongly I felt the call, because I cannot be ordained a priest; I'm a woman. I couldn't be a Redemptorist priest for the same reason, but there's no canon-law reason why I couldn't be a vowed sister, except the Redemptorists don't take women. If I were called to cloistered life, there might not be any existing group of sisters that I fit in well with; maybe the call meant I was supposed to found my own order, or supposed to be an anchoress.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I think I should clear something up, since I went and made it personal. I don’t think anybody was wrong to reject me (anymore), it just royally sucks and I hope there’s a community for me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

a community that is focused on "fast* all the time

Instructions unclear, ended up postulated to the Order of St. Sonic. :sanix:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, for you Catholics in the thread: How does Pope Francis deal with "obedience to the Pope"?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, for you Catholics in the thread: How does Pope Francis deal with "obedience to the Pope"?

This question came up when I was at the monastery. When a religious priest is raised to a Bishop he is relieved of his religious vows because he can no longer be obedient to the leader of his order among other things. So the obedience to the Pope is moot.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 22, 2022

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I think I should clear something up, since I went and made it personal. I don’t think anybody was wrong to reject me (anymore), it just royally sucks and I hope there’s a community for me.

I'm happy that you don't feel wronged anymore by their decision, and I pray sincerely you find the community you seek.

I'll say that in my experience working with different rabbis this past year and getting the chance to hear them teach, and some of these rabbis are men and some are women, some are cis and some are trans, and some have spoken openly about mental health struggles, that it is an asset to the collection of available spiritual teachings to have a diversity of experiences from which to draw, and it is a liability to most any institution if its membership is too similar in perspective, experience, ability, and sensitivity.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I feel a little embarrassed that my inquiries about your personal journey could be seen as questioning or doubting the validity of your trust in those institutions. I hope you find or form the right crew for you, deeply and truly.

If you're open to suggestions, the Catholics could really use an order of empty-hand reclusive warrior monks IMO. Give it some thought.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It would seem easy for Francis to obey the commands of the Pope. After all, he sees him regularly - I believe they correspond.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Nessus posted:

It would seem easy for Francis to obey the commands of the Pope. After all, he sees him regularly - I believe they correspond.

this post made by the benedict #sixteen loyalist society

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

If you're open to suggestions, the Catholics could really use an order of empty-hand reclusive warrior monks IMO. Give it some thought.

This is a true story: My father, 8th dahn Hapkido at the time of his death, was not at all religious and not super happy about me thinking about religious life. He very seriously asked me to consider making my own religious order based around training Hapkido, specifically saying it could be the “Catholic Shaolin.”

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This is a true story: My father, 8th dahn Hapkido at the time of his death, was not at all religious and not super happy about me thinking about religious life. He very seriously asked me to consider making my own religious order based around training Hapkido, specifically saying it could be the “Catholic Shaolin.”

always listen to sensei (dunno equivalent word for a korean art). he was right

OT: I am a very secular and non-nicene christian, think a tolstoyan anti-mystical conversion experience, but calling everyone brother, sister, etc is one of my favorite elements of christian (and other) practical tradition. it applies to everyone imo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Speaking of xiaolin. Have you considered taking inspiration from bodhidharma and simply waiting outside the monastery for ten years until they see you’re serious about the holy life? Or if times a factor possibly just cutting off your own arm?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My father, 8th dahn Hapkido

You ever meet Grandmaster Jung Hwan Park?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You ever meet Grandmaster Jung Hwan Park?

Never had the pleasure. I’m not sure where he is in Dad’s lineage, though. A lot of records, oral and written, got lost after our GM Park passed and Dad got really sick and died soon after.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Never had the pleasure. I’m not sure where he is in Dad’s lineage, though. A lot of records, oral and written, got lost after our GM Park passed and Dad got really sick and died soon after.

I think J.Park is still alive down in FL and they might have some of that stuff. But the person I primarily trained under in high school died about a decade ago, so I don’t know.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ulmont posted:

That is the best summary of being raised Catholic I have seen in a long while.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Raises the question of who the flawed, or competent, messengers are though, because there's a good deal of shouting and finger-pointing. Even if the pastor is dumping the collection plate into a white bag marked $$$ and running out the back door, someone will probably defend him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Have you prayed on this one? Consider it seriously. You may immortalize me as a minor figure in your texts if it works out, no charge.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thread poll. Are aliens real?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i believe it's pretty likely that life exists other places than earth. but as for whether any of that extraterrestrial life has ever visited or interacted with earth, i'd consider that a "possibly" but haven't really seen any evidence of it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope there are other sentient lives out there, and I hope they and us both understand selfless love by the time we ever make contact.

I think it is pretty likely though yeah, even if we never detect them.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

There's no evidence of it of them. It's not really a matter for faith IMO. Either they're there or they're not, and if they are we'll find them in due time.

I'd like there to be extraterrestrial life out there, but it's not reasonable to say they're real at this point.