Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
nah, midseason tourney sounds cool, lowering the age of entry would be good for players and the play-in has been good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

nah, midseason tourney sounds cool, lowering the age of entry would be good for players and the play-in has been good
The midseason tourney idea is loving stupid if for no other reason than that Silver and other execs have been openly bitching about "load management". Doing something to make players work more, like adding an all-teams tourney smack in the middle of the season, runs completely counter to that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The midseason tourney idea is loving stupid if for no other reason than that Silver and other execs have been openly bitching about "load management". Doing something to make players work more, like adding an all-teams tourney smack in the middle of the season, runs completely counter to that.

Last proposal I saw involved cutting games from the regular season to accommodate, and the latest word sounds like the first two rounds would be part of the normal schedule. More rest days on balance for league, and the teams that advanced would at the very least lose travel days

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Last proposal I saw involved cutting games from the regular season to accommodate, and the latest word sounds like the first two rounds would be part of the normal schedule. More rest days on balance for league, and the teams that advanced would at the very least lose travel days
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I'd need to see a concrete proposal but the players have to do enough just the way things are. I'm extremely skeptical of this plan. It's not quite on the level of the completely nuts "draft wheel" idea that was floated a few years ago, but I just don't see what it adds to the NBA.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ratto is a treasure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rays Week has the best logo as well. I just set my renewal, and it’s absolutely one of the best sports sites out there. Missed it so much in the times between.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the midseason tournament sounds incredibly stupid on all levels, most especially when you remember it occurs during the period of the last two years where teams were most ravaged by COVID and that last year they were pulling people off the street to avoid canceling games.

But I've already accepted Silver is going to get his way sooner or later.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Rays Week has the best logo as well. I just set my renewal, and it’s absolutely one of the best sports sites out there. Missed it so much in the times between.

Cancelled my Athletic subscription when the NYT bought them and moved to Defector. I know not everyone like him but I still dig Drew.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am sad that Rays Week is over at The Defector and they never did a write-up of one of the cornerstones of Divorced Dad TV Canon: Ray Donovan

(other cornerstones are Bosch and Banshee)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am sad that Rays Week is over at The Defector and they never did a write-up of one of the cornerstones of Divorced Dad TV Canon: Ray Donovan

?????

https://defector.com/turns-out-ray-donovan-isnt-a-cop-show/

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They did, tho

e: super beaten

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Well gently caress me, I missed it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ray Donovan rules.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i got David Roth to reveal that the first thing he got published was a voicemail he left his local paper expressing his opposition to renaming the Nets to the Swamp Dragons. i guess it's okay to reply to 6 year-old tweets sometimes

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1557943849464520704

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Rick posted:

I think the midseason tournament sounds incredibly stupid on all levels,

I think it would work as a parallel season with games every few weeks, like the FA Cup. If they invite the G-league teams like the FA Cup it would rule, but that will never happen.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've always liked Jason Concepcion's plan for the midseason tourney: make it a Money Cup that's about winning increasingly large piles of money and have the money sitting on a big table courtside with like 4 guards around it and finish the game telecast by handing all the players their share of the money. Keep a Money Cam on the money at all times.

Players will try, fans will tune in to see the money and who gets it, bingo bango bongo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I've always liked Jason Concepcion's plan for the midseason tourney: make it a Money Cup that's about winning increasingly large piles of money and have the money sitting on a big table courtside with like 4 guards around it and finish the game telecast by handing all the players their share of the money. Keep a Money Cam on the money at all times.

Players will try, fans will tune in to see the money and who gets it, bingo bango bongo.

I love the idea but no way do owners go for this unless they get a majority cut of said money. Financially empowering athletes allows them to make decisions that benefit them and their loved ones, and much like how rich company owners don't want employees having enough money to gently caress off at their leisure, I'd think owners would prefer players have as little as agency as possible.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

The X-man cometh posted:

I think it would work as a parallel season with games every few weeks, like the FA Cup. If they invite the G-league teams like the FA Cup it would rule, but that will never happen.

I know this isn't the NBA, but I'd really like the NCAA tourney to be bracketed, but not seeded. Just randomize the whole thing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Midseason slamball tournament.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Defector coming through with the son of groverhaus:

https://defector.com/a-700000-home-we-could-absolutely-fix-if-it-would-just-let-us/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The fundamentals of that property and house are way better than anything Grover related

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

If any NBA fans ever read anything by Jonathan Tjarks - formerly of The Ringer, covers the Mavs, writes some other stuff - he has been battling cancer and it sounds like it is not going well. A very talented and good guy whose writing will be missed. His GoFundMe with a bit of the story is here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/Lets-help-our-friend-jonathan-tjarks?utm_campaign=p_nacp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
His wife wrote more about it here, he's in hospice :( https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathantjarks

Absolutely gutting news

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

gently caress cancer. What a gut punch.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
His articles about dealing with cancer have been incredible and heartbreaking and so sad. Awful news

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

uggy posted:

His articles about dealing with cancer have been incredible and heartbreaking and so sad. Awful news

I remember reading this one and having to stop every so often because, well, poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Soon he’ll be in the arms of his Savior, maybe, I hope.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

If any NBA fans ever read anything by Jonathan Tjarks - formerly of The Ringer, covers the Mavs, writes some other stuff - he has been battling cancer and it sounds like it is not going well. A very talented and good guy whose writing will be missed. His GoFundMe with a bit of the story is here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/Lets-help-our-friend-jonathan-tjarks?utm_campaign=p_nacp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

That's a bummer. They talked to him around the draft and he sounded surprisingly good but cancer loving sucks.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s terrible news about Jonathan. I hope his son learns just how much he cared about him. gently caress cancer.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Didn't know his work as I'm not that close to basketball and particularly the Mavs, but pig gently caress cancer and I hope his family is surrounded by those that love and care for them.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Douche4Sale posted:

gently caress cancer. What a gut punch.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1566551551635759112

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What the hell :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

What the hell :stare:

Tell me you're not human without telling me you're not human.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

That's absolutely appalling. Tomatoes on a Big Mac?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A place near me does the same thing and even as a guy that likes Hawaiian style, shredded lettuce on a pizza is a bridge too far

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

tinstaach posted:

That's absolutely appalling. Tomatoes on a Big Mac?

Stephen A: "That's preposterous - tomatoes on a Big Mac! What kinda world are we living in?"

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b6tInUZ5zw

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

A place near me does the same thing and even as a guy that likes Hawaiian style, shredded lettuce on a pizza is a bridge too far
If you're doing a Taco Pizza, maybe. Otherwise, huh???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I remember reading this one and having to stop every so often because, well, poo poo

Holy gently caress god drat man