Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

galagazombie posted:

So much of the worlds religious taboos and proscriptions are so very obviously the pet peeve or traumatic memory of the individual writer.

Augustine doesn't even pretend it's otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Desperately hoping question 7 caused schoolyard brawls.

poo poo, let's get it started right here and now: Latin can kick rocks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In nomine Martis et Iovis quid mihi modo dicisti? :colbert: :agesilaus:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seriously, is there anyone who wouldn't choose to give up Latin?

Though in 1902 maybe that's some sort of classist trap :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In nomine Martis et Iovis quid mihi modo dicisti? :colbert: :agesilaus:

man u cannot possibly be using :agesilaus: in support of the johnny-come-latelys

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's a honeypot for Catholics

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is "both" a permitted answer?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Lone Badger posted:

Is "both" a permitted answer?

Only if you're James Joyce

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo, Latin is for n00bs who think 2000 years is a long time. Old Egyptian is where it's at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Culture is a funny thing. It's been said that a lot of Romans would speak Greek, enjoy Greek culture, and gladly incorporate Greek religion into theirs, while holding actual Greek people in absolute contempt.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Culture is a funny thing. It's been said that a lot of Americans would speak English, enjoy English culture, and gladly incorporate English religion into theirs, while holding actual English people in absolute contempt.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As though any student would pick Greek over Latin. I remember reading in the histories of our local university that a persistent problem was that Greek was a mandatory subject, but nobody on the staff actually knew much Greek or cared about remedying the situation so everybody just kinda pretended they were learning / teaching Greek. Granted that was 17th century, but I think some attitudes don't change.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 19, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

steinrokkan posted:

As though any student would pick Greek over Latin. I remember reading in the histories of our local university that a persistent problem was that Greek was a mandatory subject, but nobody on the staff actually knew much Greek or cared about renewing the situation so everybody just kinda pretended they were learning / teaching Greek. Granted that was 17th century, but I think some attitudes don't change.

It's anti-Byzantine discrimination

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

steinrokkan posted:

As though any student would pick Greek over Latin. I remember reading in the histories of our local university that a persistent problem was that Greek was a mandatory subject, but nobody on the staff actually knew much Greek or cared about remedying the situation so everybody just kinda pretended they were learning / teaching Greek. Granted that was 17th century, but I think some attitudes don't change.

My secondary school was like that, despite the fact that the teacher was ethnically Greek herself.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

considering how much Americans slobber over English accents and are incredibly credulous to everything we say for some reason I'm not sure this is true.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

At my undergrad everyone preferred Latin, Greek seemed to frustrate people to no end. I should note I was not one of them, I've never touched either language.

I'm mostly impressed & intrigued by how open ended those questions are. "What are you feelings? Defend them." is kind of interesting to me as a type of question, almost more something in therapy than in class.

According to the Englishmen I know, anybody who likes English culture doesn't understand English culture. Englishness is to be endured, not enjoyed, if you don't like it there's the door simple as innit.

(as an American the parallel that comes more to mind is how many white people interact with African-American culture & African-Americans, where some very very racist people are happy to listen to rap and rock and jazz and such, and of course very famously that most of the players of pro basketball & football are black while the owners of those sports are pretty infamously racist old white jackasses)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tulip posted:

(as an American the parallel that comes more to mind is how many white people interact with African-American culture & African-Americans, where some very very racist people are happy to listen to rap and rock and jazz and such, and of course very famously that most of the players of pro basketball & football are black while the owners of those sports are pretty infamously racist old white jackasses)

Yeah that's the first thing that came to my mind. It's cultural appropriation, but 2000+ years ago.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

edit: oops, wrong thread.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

this explains some things about about opinions

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

In my limited experience Greek is definitely harder. Partly just because its harder to memorise stuff in a different alphabet, partly grammar. Actually having a definite article slaps, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

In my limited experience Greek is definitely harder. Partly just because its harder to memorise stuff in a different alphabet, partly grammar. Actually having a definite article slaps, though.

For people in western, central Europe and the Americas, which I suspect is most goons, latin is also a lot closer to our native languages, no? Romance especially, but even in english, there are plenty of words and sentences that parse. To use my beloved Ecce Romani I:

quote:

Sextus puer molestus est.

It's one of the most hilarious sentences at 16. But also, "Sextus is an annoying boy." is pretty easy to get. Or as I might say it irl, "Sextus is a little gremlin, eh?"

The grammar gets complicated (except maybe for germans??) but even so, I understand it's still simpler than greek?

e:

little fucker proves a useless clown even as his foster brother is mugged in the capital, in the climax of the epic first Ecce Romani saga

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 20, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Best part of Ecce Romani is when the slave tries to escape and they catch him and brutally mutilate and disfigure his face as punishment. Like oh you thought this was going to be a quaint textbook of banal housekeeping events with post enlightenment values like all the other languages? Hell no welcome to 100AD pleb.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

galagazombie posted:

Best part of Ecce Romani is when the slave tries to escape and they catch him and brutally mutilate and disfigure his face as punishment. Like oh you thought this was going to be a quaint textbook of banal housekeeping events with post enlightenment values like all the other languages? Hell no welcome to 100AD pleb.

That owns :D which school level is it intended for? I wish I could read that stuff in ground school.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Year 8 (first year of high school) for us.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Lone Badger posted:

Year 8 (first year of high school) for us.

i remember reading these graphics, translated into finnish, as a projector series. goddamn, did my latin teacher do an unlicensed translations of this loving storybook? he was pretty badass

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah we got it freshman year of high school, so roughly 14/15 years old.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
This is what we had in the Netherlands, for our actual first lesson:

I think the books were a generation old already by the time we got them in 1997, when I was twelve years old.
Just a year after us, a publisher came out with a new series of books for high schools, so we were the last year to get to know Marcus et Cornelia.
In a later lesson there was also an Aemilia and it blew my classmates' minds when I said that Cornelia and Aemilia couldn't possibly be sisters. We didn't really learn Roman naming, so that was something I'd just picked up by myself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah that one was deprecated for us i think, people ten, fifteen years older than me learned about SERPENS IN HORTO

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

In high school we used the Oxford Latin Course as our text series. So we got subjected to illustrations like this:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I admire the simplicity of “what do you know of [X]?” as a question.

E: keep Latin drop-kick Greek, we used Cambridge Latin Course and we liked it. Or at least we liked Caecilius and family, except Quintus.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 21, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would consider it very unfair if "nothing" didn't get full marks

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

cheetah7071 posted:

Another good troll would be to write the citation for Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire or similar.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Beefeater1980 posted:

I admire the simplicity of “what do you know of [X]?” as a question.

E: keep Latin drop-kick Greek, we used Cambridge Latin Course and we liked it. Or at least we liked Caecilius and family, except Quintus.

grumio ancillam delectat :biglips:

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Whorelord posted:

considering how much Americans slobber over English accents and are incredibly credulous to everything we say for some reason I'm not sure this is true.

Also they all think we've met the Queen. Yeah, all 67 million of us pop round for tea with Lizzie on Thursday afternoons.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

moonmazed posted:

grumio ancillam delectat :biglips:

:hai:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
All you motherfuckers talking about taking Latin in high school are starting to make me think my American public education might not have been as good as Reagan said it was :911:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

How about "I know that I know nothing, and am therefore the wisest of all."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Magnetic North posted:

All you motherfuckers talking about taking Latin in high school are starting to make me think my American public education might not have been as good as Reagan said it was :911:

The main advantage that high school Latin learning confers is to allow you to sound :airquote:educated:airquote: by making Latin quips.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Zopotantor posted:

The main advantage that high school Latin learning confers is to allow you to sound :airquote:educated:airquote: by making Latin quips.

Also: being able to learn Spanish or Italian in two months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
* transferred to a Catholic school *
* Latin teacher dies over summer break *