Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

goblin week posted:

I misremembered the dog dick bites

new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goblin week posted:

You know what? Yeah, I was seven, I misremembered the dog dick bites, that was it. Thanks

You may have been thinking of Dog Day Afternoon.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I saw a movie a few years ago.

It was about a family of two in the balkans during the early 1900s .

It was bleak as heck. They lived on a farm and refused to give food or water to gypsies who cursed their well. So the movie had them slowly starving and there was a lot of focus on their horse who got sick and they were worried.

They ate potatoes and they slowly ate fewer and fewer.

No music at all just the sound of wind around their lovely cabin. I don't think they talked much either. Black and white probably.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Affi posted:

I saw a movie a few years ago.

It was about a family of two in the balkans during the early 1900s .

It was bleak as heck. They lived on a farm and refused to give food or water to gypsies who cursed their well. So the movie had them slowly starving and there was a lot of focus on their horse who got sick and they were worried.

They ate potatoes and they slowly ate fewer and fewer.

No music at all just the sound of wind around their lovely cabin. I don't think they talked much either. Black and white probably.

The Turin Horse. "Bleak as heck" is accurate.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
From a friend:

quote:

Okay so there's a film somewhere out there where the main character lives on a dead planet all alone, the circumstances of how they came to be there and how the planet came to die is a mystery.

The main character begins to dream that he is a woman with another life on another planet, living in a futuristic, Bladerunner-esque city where he / she works as a prostitute.

The two worlds begin to merge together, it's super psychedelic and I can't find it anywhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It sounds like Total Recall mixed with a few other things, but I’d be super intrigued to find out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Got a different kind of question.

In the movie Scream, Drew Barrymore’s character is carrying two vhs tapes around in the opening scene. One of the tapes is Halloween, but what’s the title of the other movie?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It appears to be Children of the Corn II, of all the loving things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha thanks. Trying to find a shot where the box was readable was driving me crazy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ruddiger posted:

Haha thanks. Trying to find a shot where the box was readable was driving me crazy.

I spent like 30 minutes last night finding increasingly high res versions online to try to zoom in on.

Shockingly they don’t want you to do that for free so I gave up.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
drat, I also spent 30+ minutes last night trying to figure it out, but was too lazy to see if there were any other scenes in which it was visible past the first 5 minutes. I was at the point where I was just comparing blurry details with photos of Redditors' horror film VHS collections. My best guess was The Graveyard Shift.

Edit: actually, this does make me feel good becuase the boxes for CotC II and The Graveyard Shift are pretty similar, so I wasn't far off.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 13, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching it live I could make out the Paramount logo so I assumed it was one of the F13 sequels but clearly that wasn't the case.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Think I've posted this here before, but I'll try again. It's a black and white Italian film, I've only ever seen the title sequence which is shot from a moving car which is following a person on a scooter around the streets of an Italian city. The music is a rather upbeat older song with a female singer.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

yaffle posted:

Think I've posted this here before, but I'll try again. It's a black and white Italian film, I've only ever seen the title sequence which is shot from a moving car which is following a person on a scooter around the streets of an Italian city. The music is a rather upbeat older song with a female singer.

I know its not what you are looking for but it reminded me of the music clip to In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXMV2RBQwiY

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Two women are in a room alone together One of them starts taking off her clothes and the other one thinks that she is a lesbian coming on to her.

She is really some type of monster kind of like The Thing.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Species or Under the Skin?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Two women are in a room alone together One of them starts taking off her clothes and the other one thinks that she is a lesbian coming on to her.

The Thing prequel had a scene like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean there were two women but other than that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Faculty maybe? Can't remember if that exact thing happens

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i never saw it but what about that diablo cody movie what with the Transformer girl named after Michael Bay

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Thing prequel had a scene like that.

I thought that was it, but I watched The Thing 2011 last night and it didn't have that, the one girl just became a Thing and attacked the other one.

Maybe it was changed from the theatrical release?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Prince of Darkness

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Basebf555 posted:

Prince of Darkness

That's it, thanks!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean there were two women but other than that

I only saw the prequel once, years ago. I probably mixed the scene up with the one from Prince of Darkness myself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Scuffy_1989 posted:

That's it, thanks!

Monster woman doesn't take her clothes off, she just crawls up onto the bed over the woman who had been sleeping. But otherwise close enough.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is it any good? John Carpenter, 80s, guys from Big Trouble and other notable horror movie peoples....sounds promising

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

had one myself. I remember a friend describing a horror movie that came out in the 1990s after seeing it theatrically (around the time Hot Shots part deux came out. Weird timestamp I know). It was also horror, bad guy was powerful but human (appearing?). So either posessed or a disguised demon or warlock type deal. At the end he does battle with a couple druids who use telepathy to move a knife back and forth between them (they may have been tied up?)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

had one myself. I remember a friend describing a horror movie that came out in the 1990s after seeing it theatrically (around the time Hot Shots part deux came out. Weird timestamp I know). It was also horror, bad guy was powerful but human (appearing?). So either posessed or a disguised demon or warlock type deal. At the end he does battle with a couple druids who use telepathy to move a knife back and forth between them (they may have been tied up?)

Warlock: The Armageddon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH3jQ4EHhY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan Smithee posted:

is it any good? John Carpenter, 80s, guys from Big Trouble and other notable horror movie peoples....sounds promising

It’s no The Thing, but it’s a good time, yeah! It’s got this fantastic feeling of dread the entire time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

It's kind of all over the place thematically, but in a good way! Definitely a product of its time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Worth a watch if you like John Carpenter but IMO it's one of his lesser films, mostly because there are a ton of characters and none are that interesting. Neat concept and a couple legit creepy parts though (plus Alice Cooper stabbing a guy with a bicycle).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Alan Smithee posted:

John Carpenter, 80s,

It is exceptionally both of these things. Excellent atmosphere and aesthetics, combined with wildly varying levels of acting competence. Very schlocky and over the top in places, but as previously noted, some excellent unsettling parts. I consider it indispensable in Carpenters canon, but I’m old enough to have seen it as a teenager when it first came out, I saw it a bunch in theatres.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Prince of Darkness is up there for me as one of my personal bests. I think I watched it just at the right time.
Its not high tier tension as The Thing, more low tier but holy poo poo it does maintain and increase it until the end.
The practical effects are amazing too, such simple stuff like a tank of water in the dark couldn't be made with CG even today and look as good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

The practical effects are amazing too, such simple stuff like a tank of water in the dark couldn't be made with CG even today and look as good.

I think this is actually one of the scariest shots in any Carpenter film, behind maybe only a few of the shots of Michael in Halloween. Just an incredibly haunting way to end a film.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I think this is actually one of the scariest shots in any Carpenter film, behind maybe only a few of the shots of Michael in Halloween. Just an incredibly haunting way to end a film.

Can you add some context to this frame? It looks awesome.

This is probably my favourite John Carpenter final scene

The ghosts of the evil sailors have previously been vanquished but they turn up one final time to wipe out a priest.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A woman sacrifices herself to close off a portal to hell that the devil is trying to come through. Video here if you want it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kosmo Gallion posted:

This is probably my favourite John Carpenter final scene

The ghosts of the evil sailors have previously been vanquished but they turn up one final time to wipe out a priest.

The heroine jumps and pushes the avatar of literal Satan through a liquid mirror, and her anguished boyfriend smashes it afterwards to prevent the apocalypse, dooming her to the fate pictured.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Just watch it, there are other set pieces that are just as good.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Prince of Darkness is one of my top 3 Carpenters. I love scenarios based on the juxtaposition of a scientific worldview encountering supernatural events.

Also see Nigel Kneale, especially the Stone Tape and Quatermass and the Pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

If you like Carpenter movies, it's a must watch.