Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

FlamingLiberal posted:

As a Floridian, I can confirm this

I have no idea how people survived down here before central air
Also: more trees (more shade, more plants = lower temps), less blacktop (= lower temps)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

PostNouveau posted:

Here's a tip for beating the heat like a pro: Don't mow your lawn when the heat index is 109F

Pro tip: never mow or water your lawn

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
i just pay a local kid $5 to cut my grass. i like to think of myself as a job creator Heh Heh Heh

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
so much for global warming! :smug:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
So if people shouldn't live in hot places because of AC dependence, does the same go for cold places and furnaces? Chicago and Minneapolis are loving cold in winter. No one should live there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

So if people shouldn't live in hot places because of AC dependence, does the same go for cold places and furnaces? Chicago and Minneapolis are loving cold in winter. No one should live there.

I can always wear more clothes to get warm when it's cold. I can't rip my skin off when it's hot. gently caress Tha heat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i spread thermal paste on myself and lie on a piece of aluminum will i stay cool?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Real hurthling! posted:

if i spread thermal paste on myself and lie on a piece of aluminum will i stay cool?

You were never cool.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

SirPablo posted:

Minneapolis also requires AC in the summer

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

Real glad to live in a part of the USA that's historically had a lovely continental climate, so we get both extreme heat and extreme cold and our infrastructure is built to withstand both. I'll get to suck down that central air until the grid fails

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silicone thrills posted:

I can always wear more clothes to get warm when it's cold. I can't rip my skin off when it's hot. gently caress Tha heat.

You could, but it's not recommended

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah, not with that attitude you can't

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bW4qauva8

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Minneapolis also requires AC in the summer

worst of both worlds here, baby!

i guess the heat here really isn't too bad relative to the south. dew point averages around 60 in the summer, with a typical week or two hitting upper 90s-100F. you could survive without a/c as basements are super common, businesses always have a/c, and homes are mostly well insulated, especially relative to pedo island. it would suck though. no heat in winter would definitely kill you

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Last night the dew point hit 76 and suddenly nonstop clouds formed over the mountains / old torture prison. Like 40 miles away, totally stationary. Producing hail. Nonstop lightning. Aroiud 7" of rain in two hours.

poo poo ruled.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

The human body naturally produces heat, it is always going to be easier (in a thermodynamics sense) to capture that heat to maintain a survivable environment than it would be to remove excess heat. Put a coat on vs a fan, a frozen washcloth or an air conditioner. Fundamentally indoor heating is because we don't want to wear a bunch of cold weather clothing inside all the time.

also cold climates don't require a ton of water to keep golf courses green in a desert

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Jul 21, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Speak for yourself, I like to pretend im ripped without actually putting the work in

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Speak for yourself, I like to pretend im ripped without actually putting the work in

Hello Mr. Musk

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/masaccio60/status/1550029798797369345

wildfire season, now with more explosions

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Bomb disposal team? Why for? It sounds like it's being solved as we speak lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Because it also falls under the firefighters (or, "fire disposal team") responsibilites

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
First day of the year I was in my car when it said the outside temperature was 100 degrees! Yay!

It totally wasn't 100 degrees out though, my car likes to exaggerate.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

also cold climates don't require a ton of water to keep golf courses green in a desert

The world's biggest desert is the Antarctic Desert.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SirPablo posted:

It's worse because A/C is more efficient than any kind of gas/electric/oil heating. There's heat pumps but they aren't the standard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Golf course in Antarctica, that's how I'll make my fortune!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

:wrong:

It’s a section of the Pacific Ocean.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

it’s still pretty wet there, from the standpoint of water

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

First day of the year I was in my car when it said the outside temperature was 100 degrees! Yay!

It totally wasn't 100 degrees out though, my car likes to exaggerate.

Isn't that normal for cars? The temperature sensor is usually placed close to the road, and it's just detecting the ground temperature more than the air temperature

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

Isn't that normal for cars? The temperature sensor is usually placed close to the road, and it's just detecting the ground temperature more than the air temperature

To the extent that the designers care, they try to place it in the airstream and shield it from ground/engine/radiator heat.

The reading is more accurate when moving , but you also run into the issue that the air above a paved asphalt road is just hotter than the air in the rest of the general area.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Platystemon posted:

central america getting schlonged

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

there's no fuckin grass cause it's frozen mr. smartypants

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shifty Nipples posted:

can’t touch grass, stuck at mcspurdo :smith:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

That we know of

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
nbd just a degree shy of the all-time warmest low temperature of 96 degrees (from 2003).

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/1550481362469003266

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can have a harbor in a desert? Will wonders never cease

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sky harbor is the airport iirc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That would make sense but forgive me for thinking americans wouldn't name places after poo poo that doesnt exist anymore or possibly never did

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

That would make sense but forgive me for thinking americans wouldn't name places after poo poo that doesnt exist anymore or possibly never did

Hey what's the British national animal?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pretty metal

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1550604062403477504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
See, Gawd is telling us he wants us to burn His oil! :shepface:

Honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often.